Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually like stepmothers marchen a fair bit but... she was supposedly tormented by the kids for 9 years on life 1 and then almost immediately they start to trust her on life 2. Its weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

Not that important, but it's not really an isekai since she isn't from the modern world or anything. She is a medieval fantasy person who reincarnates as herself only younger.

I already tried to say that I couldn't remember things very well at the beginning of my post!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

They invariably are unless the story actually explores the kinds of butterfly effect complications this could have.

But in most the person who goes back just effortlessly rolls over all their challenges and sucks all tension and drama out of it because events play out exactly as they did in the original timeline.

One of the things I like about Tearmoon Empire Story is that the focus isn't so much on the challenges, but on how the MC gets them resolved. She's only improved a tiny bit over how she was the first time around, but knowing what events lead to her execution (and fervent desire to avoid that outcome) is letting her accidentally play n-th dimensional chess.

I'm curious to see how the second novel goes, since the synopsis says that she's changed stuff enough that there is no longer an execution in her future, but she still has to deal with the events she has set in motion.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I feel like in most of those stories it feels like the first go-round of their life was a way more interesting story

I ready something awhile back where the fantasy world was taken over by shadow dungeons. Of all the millions of people sucked into the dungeon only 10 made it to the end and the final dragon boss exploded after death killing them all.

Of course the MC reincarnates to his earlier self a few years before the major dungeon took over but with all his knowledge of magic and whatnot. Everything that happened in the story just made me wonder how he overcame the trials the first go around since his magic was notoriously weak. I kept wishing I was reading that story instead.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
that's A Returner's Magic Should be Special, I believe.

And the answer is basically no his magic was actually pretty good, he was just crippled by classism.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nihilarian posted:

I actually like stepmothers marchen a fair bit but... she was supposedly tormented by the kids for 9 years on life 1 and then almost immediately they start to trust her on life 2. Its weird

From what I remember, this is because she takes extra time to mourn the loss of her husband in the second go-around, when she didn't in the first timeline. This causes her eldest son to have a conversation with her he didn't have, and respect her more, and then defend her when his siblings are causing trouble later.

It is a little fast, but I think the author wanted to get the kids on her side, so he could focus on the evil family-in-law harassing them.

I agree that I wish the stories could explore more of the past, by flashbacking the bullet points, so we can understand why it is butterfly effecting out of control in the future, and hit a point where they are on new ground relatively

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zore posted:

They invariably are unless the story actually explores the kinds of butterfly effect complications this could have.

But in most the person who goes back just effortlessly rolls over all their challenges and sucks all tension and drama out of it because events play out exactly as they did in the original timeline.

There's another one with a similar premise called Beware of the Brothers where the girl is a commoner adopted into a noble family to "replace" a daughter who died, and her brothers hate her for it, except when she goes back in time it turns out that she learned basically nothing from her first life because apparently being abused by your family growing up does not really teach a person how to magically overcome all their problems. At best she knows how to push their buttons better. Which she does, because she still holds a grudge against them for what they haven't done yet. Also there's just a whole lot of stuff she never realized the first time through, like how apparently her adopted mother was accidentally poisoning her by confusing her with the dead daughter and giving her medicine that she should absolutely not be taking. So instead she just gets mad at her brother for taking her "special candy" away.

Things kind of end up better by accident anyway, but she is absolutely not steamrolling through her life. Mostly because her knowledge of the future is filtered through her own biases.

Edit: Also her attitude is less "I have the chance to redo everything!" and more "Why the hell do I have to live through the worst part of my life AGAIN?!"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 4, 2020

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Tearmoon too is hopefully going to take a different route because said princess has no idea how humans work or change because she's just following her old diary so she's probably very unprepared for changing situations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eeepies posted:

Tearmoon too is hopefully going to take a different route because said princess has no idea how humans work or change because she's just following her old diary so she's probably very unprepared for changing situations.

It's so much fun watching her fake it until she makes it. I really do want to see what happens once the diary runs out and she has to deal with stuff without any foreknowledge.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks for this discussion, do-over wish fulfillment Peggy Sue garbage is utterly my jam. Hadn't read Tearmoon yet until now, I thought it was kinda funny that in the most recent chapters it just became Bakarina. Will check out the Brothers and the Stepmother next.

Edit: lmao it really did become straight up Bakarina, complete with a second prince who feels inferior to the first prince, and Mia being totally oblivious to how other people see her

I was also reading Medical Return (the mangadex page only lists Russian translations for some reason, but English ones definitely exist), which is a k-manga about a surgeon who gets a do-over after a poo poo life and intends to live on the easy road the next time around by just getting into plastic surgery and running a beauty clinic, except his amazing talent keeps cheating him out of taking an easy road to life. It leans way towards the wish fulfillment side of things, but if you just want to experience the formula of "finds a mentor who hates/thinks nothing of him, then blows them away with medical knowledge and surgical skills, repeat with new mentor" like a dozen times over, this is exactly that.

Eeepies posted:

The diary updates itself, so...

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 4, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

The diary updates itself, so...

According to the Amazon page on the second novel:

And then, at last, she manages to avert her own grisly death by guillotine, erasing from existence the very diary that foretold her doom! Things are going so well that she can't help but erupt into song and dance...

...Only to slam into a proverbial brick wall. And have the rug pulled out from under her. Just for good measure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter of observation diary of the self-proclaimed villainess

Very interesting to show the prince the original path of events.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Returner isn't completely horrible because he realizes where his speciality lies (controlling and disabling magic) and that that simply isn't enough, so his actual goal to solve things is to destroy classism so more people can get actual worthwhile training, while dropping knowledge of people's future capabilities that he cannot mimic, but he knows they eventually achieved.

Also his messing with the past causes huge issues that make a radicalized terrorist group that in his timeline are mostly quiet until the shadow world takes over and then fade from existing suddenly much more active because he uses their few activities as way to get in close to people he remembers from the future.

He is still powerful of course, and super OP at times, but he 100% knows all his friends are actually the keys to solving the worlds issues and that his powers at best will play support.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love Returner because they explain fairly well how the magic system works and it serves to rein in the MC's OP power.

Basically your magical potential is measured with 'circles' which are gatherings of magic near your heart. As you grow more accustomed to controlling and using magic, you eventually can 'create' another circle which in turn gives you more magic to work with. There are shortcuts to doing so but it's not easy and carries huge risk. It's also possible to use more magic than you're normally capable of if a higher circle mage gives you magic, but doing so is insane because it'll cause massive damage to your body. Like, your body quite literally splitting apart at the seams massive damage.

The MC is a genius at magical calculations and disrupting other people's magic by 'analyzing' it, but he's severely hobbled by the fact that since he's only a circle 1 magician he cannot put much 'oomph' into his spells, he can negate the enemy but can't counter well because he lacks power. A circle 1 magician is the lowest of the low. He even gets a magical artifact to supplement his pathetically low magic and he's STILL the weakest one on his team in terms of firepower. The rest of his team compensates for this by being badasses in various ways but he's an idiot who keeps trying to do everything himself because he has foreknowledge of the future but ends up loving up because he's so weak.

It's a very fun dynamic where the MC's near-perfect control over magic is countered by his lack of power. A decent enough tradeoff IMO and makes for much more entertaining fights when he is quite incapable of overpowering enemies and has to outwit/outmaneuver them.

My biggest complaint is we don't know much about the 'shadow worlds' yet. At first we're told they're catastrophes and the narrative almost seems like they're some kind of natural phenomenon but when the protag actually goes into the one with his team the game-like manner in which it's played out feels so unnatural that I'm dying to learn more about them and hopefully there'll be a good reveal about who and/or what is actually behind them.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

With regards to A Stepmother's Märchen and Beware of the Brothers, my only issue with it is that it's never really shown just what the kids/brothers did to abuse the protagonist. It's like the authors wanted readers to feel sympathetic for the abuse that the protagonist went through, but at the same time they don't want readers to fully hate the family members, so it's stuck in a weird position where the protagonist looks kind of silly for not realizing they could have gotten along with the family members. Still, Stepmother's a little better about it since it showed how the other nobles looked down on and bullied the protagonist in her first time around.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Binged through Beware of the Brothers, and it's good, but her silver hair keeps making me think she's the princess from The Monster Duchess instead.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009

Argue posted:

I was also reading Medical Return (the mangadex page only lists Russian translations for some reason, but English ones definitely exist), which is a k-manga about a surgeon who gets a do-over after a poo poo life and intends to live on the easy road the next time around by just getting into plastic surgery and running a beauty clinic, except his amazing talent keeps cheating him out of taking an easy road to life. It leans way towards the wish fulfillment side of things, but if you just want to experience the formula of "finds a mentor who hates/thinks nothing of him, then blows them away with medical knowledge and surgical skills, repeat with new mentor" like a dozen times over, this is exactly that.

That's because the english translation for it is done by leviatan scans here https://leviatanscans.com/comics/246282-medical-return and they're one of the groups that left mangadex

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Stepmother at least basically acknowledges why they hated her the first time around: she was an inexperienced idiot who was being pushed around by other nobles, and had to fully commit herself to working to run the property and house, while neglecting to ever pay any attention to the kids because it took all her focus just to keep the other nobles from stealing everything. This included, within months of their father's death, finding a fake boyfriend who she was using to deflect attempts to steal the house via marriage, but everyone thought was real.

This lead to them not very much liking or trusting her. And the main difference in the redux is that.. she already knows how to do all the paperwork and day to day work in running the estate, so she actually has time to care for the family. Which leads to her comforting them in the wake of their father's death rather than holing up in the office alone for months to learn to do paperwork right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw this in the recent updated series list and read the first chapter, looks like it could be fun. It's about an archmage who gets disappeared by a magic circle and when she regains consciousness, she's now a 6-month-old but still has her memories and mentality.

The way the maids act, "jiggle the mobile! wiggle the toys in front of her where she can see them, quickly!" really got me

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I saw this in the recent updated series list and read the first chapter, looks like it could be fun. It's about an archmage who gets disappeared by a magic circle and when she regains consciousness, she's now a 6-month-old but still has her memories and mentality.

The way the maids act, "jiggle the mobile! wiggle the toys in front of her where she can see them, quickly!" really got me

Fans of weaponized adorableness will love this one. The story makes no secret that her family is a bunch of hot-headed potentially murderous nobles, and she has to adapt to defend against this. I'm on chapter 11 the assassination secret head rub and the hiring of expy Mary Poppins and can confirm it hasn't gotten old yet.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Link is broken for me? Can I get the series name

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Eponymous posted:

Link is broken for me? Can I get the series name

The Littlest Princess

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Here's another link: https://mangadex.org/title/46603/the-youngest-princess

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Ah, thank you!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm trying out Survival Story of a Sword King and I like the One Punch Man vibes it has going for it. On the other hand, everything to do with that stupid wyvern is really grating. The hair and big anime eyes makes it look really stupid and stick out like a sore thumb among the monster designs.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This is the second Korean comic I've seen that's "big strong royal psychotic daddy and brothers charmed by reincarnator" and that's pretty weird.

But at least this isn't as awful as the other one where women are considered subhuman garbage.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Argue posted:

Thanks for this discussion, do-over wish fulfillment Peggy Sue garbage is utterly my jam.

You might want to try Priscilla's Marriage Request. It's been pretty good so far. After 15 years of horrible things happening to her, Priscilla's struggle finally ends as she fights her way to achieving the power to turn back time and get even with the people who wronged her.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Latest chapter of Beware of the Villainess is outstanding.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Herbotron posted:

I’m glad that the author is pushing things along faster now. I’m also glad that all the players are equally tired of everyone’s BS.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Herbotron posted:

gently caress all you assholes, I'm getting gay married to Yuri is certainly the choice here

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Herbotron posted:

I'm glad I stuck with this, it's gotten amazing ever since Melissa started helping people.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm glad I stuck with this, it's gotten amazing ever since Melissa started helping people.

The best Otome game isekai's are the ones where all the capture route targets are poo poo and the protagonist decides to hook up with the villainess.

By which I mean this one and also "Otome games are tough for mobs". The only two otome game isekai's that I genuinely enjoy.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

khy posted:

Otome games are tough for mobs

Oh, where I was at in reading that there was a developing relationship between the two female leads, but I thought they were just setting it up as a carefree multiple-wives situation for the MC. Do they actually go full romance between them? Cool if so.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Eponymous posted:

Oh, where I was at in reading that there was a developing relationship between the two female leads, but I thought they were just setting it up as a carefree multiple-wives situation for the MC. Do they actually go full romance between them? Cool if so.

It's both. The MC has a harem, but the relationship between the protagonist/villainess is also full romance. It's even a major plot point later on where they need to activate a ship that only activates when someone's TRULY in love, and the two of them end up activating it together showing that both of them are absolutely in love with one another, in addition to the MC.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 6, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In Beware of the Villainess, the MC is Dark Helmet, and has just realized she's surrounded by assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nalin posted:

You might want to try Priscilla's Marriage Request. It's been pretty good so far. After 15 years of horrible things happening to her, Priscilla's struggle finally ends as she fights her way to achieving the power to turn back time and get even with the people who wronged her.

all the family and territory stuff is secondary to her hooking up with the hot guy she never quite got together with the first time around. hooking up with this guy is also the solution to every single problem in her life.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Herbotron posted:

It's gotten exponentially better since Yuri showed up. She's great.

Melissa and Yuri can get married and adopt Nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Solo Leveling and A Returners Magic Should be Special are both on Tappytoon now, if you want to pay 50cents a chapter for official releases.