Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
In prep for Paper Mario Switch, I went back and played Mario RPG and the original Paper Mario. I don't feel like running through Thousand Year Door again. Any suggestions on which Mario RPG to hit next? I've played a bit into Paper Jam and it seems alright, but reviews of it tell me it might not be worth the time investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Re: too many games

I took the credit card info off of my profile after going through a suspected account hack situation a month ago and it went a long way to curb my bad insta-purchasing habits.

My pile is a little older than yours but I really ought to beat a couple before I buy XCOM2 or Super Mega Baseball 3, tempting as that might be:

AI Somnium Files
Dragon Quest XI
Luigi's Mansion 3
Rune Factory 4
Breath of the Wild
Wild Guns & Ninja Warriors remakes
Splatoon 2
Switcher expansions
Slay the Spire
Indivisible

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tensai posted:

In prep for Paper Mario Switch, I went back and played Mario RPG and the original Paper Mario. I don't feel like running through Thousand Year Door again. Any suggestions on which Mario RPG to hit next? I've played a bit into Paper Jam and it seems alright, but reviews of it tell me it might not be worth the time investment.

I liked Super Paper Mario

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's amazing that I still consider that game to look great considering what they were working with. Just goes to show that stylish, energetic animation makes a big difference.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Civ 6 DLC pack is finally on sale :woop:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
yeah, the remainder of my backlog consists of:

dark souls
super mario odyssey
a robot named fight
hollow knight
dead cells
final fantasy 10
spyro collection
hotline miami collection
collection of mana
mud runner
exit the gungeon
into the breach
zelda botw
donkey kong country tropical freeze
turok
baba is you
animal crossing
pokemon sword
return of the obra dinn

there is more but that's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

I'm hosed

edit: dragon quest 11 which the cartridge is lost in my couch or something right now

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kikkoman posted:

Re: too many games

I took the credit card info off of my profile after going through a suspected account hack situation a month ago and it went a long way to curb my bad insta-purchasing habits.

My pile is a little older than yours but I really ought to beat a couple before I buy XCOM2 or Super Mega Baseball 3, tempting as that might be:

AI Somnium Files
Dragon Quest XI
Luigi's Mansion 3
Rune Factory 4
Breath of the Wild
Wild Guns & Ninja Warriors remakes
Splatoon 2
Switcher expansions
Slay the Spire
Indivisible

My back-log is currently sitting at:

Deadly Premonition; Assassin's Creed: Pirates; RE4; Dragon's Dogma (I got this for free from an industry friend); Final Fantasy 8, 9, 10, 10-2.

I probably won't beat these but I do have them (I've played them a bit): Necrodancer, Rain World, Thumper, Darkest Dungeon.

Games I'd like to beat but probably won't (though I've played them for hours): Baba is You, Road Redemption, Nuclear Throne, Overcooked 2

Games I'd like 100% though I've beaten them (and haven't played in ages): Skyrim, Broforce, Into the Breach, Children of Morta

I'm probably going to start Final Fantasy 8 next week, though I've just been playing Streets of Rage 4 and Pokémon to get the special released critters. Star Allies has become my online/phone call game and I'm slowly 100%-ing that too, and Voxelgrams I play when listening to podcasts.

I am someone who would GREATLY benefit from folders.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The "load times" in Clubhouse games is annoying. I don't know if it's load times but the over presentation where it takes about 15 Seconds to restart a game.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

yeah, the remainder of my backlog consists of:

dark souls
super mario odyssey
a robot named fight
hollow knight
dead cells
final fantasy 10
spyro collection
hotline miami collection
collection of mana
mud runner
exit the gungeon
into the breach
zelda botw
donkey kong country tropical freeze
turok
baba is you
animal crossing
pokemon sword
return of the obra dinn

I'm hosed

Is there anything in your done pile? Maybe listing those off will put things in perspective.

Recently I finished Switcher main story, saw credits in Animal Crossing, and I'm working through the 8th (out of 9) set of levels in that Overlord Picross game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

tensai posted:

I think the other big Mario RPGs are Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story. A couple of the other M&L games might be alright too, though I've only ever played the SS and Partners in Time (which is alright).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The M&L games are super fun and the characterizations are great

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My backlog is literally 50+ games, but I’ve started making a concerted effort to get through it. In the past week I’ve finished Dust, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, Murder by Numbers, and am 4 hours into Bayonetta. I think Coteries of New York will be next, but there’s a loooooooong way to go before I let myself buy another game (unless there’s a good sale. Or something really cool comes out. Of course I’ll be getting the new Paper Mario. I have a problem)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have a backlog going back to the days of the NES. I'll get around to playing Blaster Master one day I swear!

Its a waste of time don't bother yourself about it and buy/play what you want

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 5, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

My backlog is literally 50+ games, but I’ve started making a concerted effort to get through it. In the past week I’ve finished Dust, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, Murder by Numbers, and am 4 hours into Bayonetta. I think Coteries of New York will be next, but there’s a loooooooong way to go before I let myself buy another game (unless there’s a good sale. Or something really cool comes out. Of course I’ll be getting the new Paper Mario. I have a problem)

Mine's not that big, but I'm of the same opinion, there has got to be a great sale on something I really want otherwise I'll just wait for something that would be a Day 1 purchase anyway.

For example Sega Ages Classics or whatever is the cheapest I've ever seen it which is 15 bucks, but the only games I love there (Streets of Rage) I have elsewhere so I don't care.

Ori and the Blind Forest I'm sure I'd like and I hear it's good is also sub 15 at the moment, but I don't want to add to the back-log and it's normally just 20 which honestly, that's fine. I can drop 20 euro for it the day I'm ready to get it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
These backlogs are bananas. I noticed myself sliding down the slippery backlog slope back in 2010ish with Steam sales and my first real adult paycheck. I curbed that problem in a hurry. The presence of a pile of unplayed/barely played games really stressed me out.

Now I keep a rough list of what I'd like to play and when a sale and/or timing work out in my favor I get one of those games. It's working very well and I don't feel stressed out by a fun hobby. Impulse/hype buying is a trap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

I have a backlog going back to the days of the NES. I'll get around to playing Blaster Master one day I swear!

Its a waste of time don't bother yourself about it and buy/play what you want

Lets be real on this one. IF there is only one NES game anyone should have played, it's Blaster Master.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets be real on this one. IF there is only one NES game anyone should have played, it's Blaster Master.

Actually the Switch version is really good. Play that instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Counting every single game I 'own and intend to finish one day' my backlog must be in triple digits.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it owned when steam introduced the ability to delete games from your library because i went through and got rid of like 2/3 of my games that were all poo poo i didn't care about at all from various bundles. my backlog is still huge but now i could theoretically complete it in my lifetime

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets be real on this one. IF there is only one NES game anyone should have played, it's River City Ransom.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

it owned when steam introduced the ability to delete games from your library because i went through and got rid of like 2/3 of my games that were all poo poo i didn't care about at all from various bundles. my backlog is still huge but now i could theoretically complete it in my lifetime

Deleting them just seems incredibly pointless and extra work for no benefit

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

Deleting them just seems incredibly pointless and extra work for no benefit

the benefit is that it made me happier with the state of my game collection

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
According to some YouTuber who did the digging in research journals: the average person only spends 30 mins a day playing video games. He was shocked at how low this figure was and compared it to his own. After all, most games range from 10-30 hours and RPGs especially hit the 100 hour mark as the norm now so he was skeptical

As someone who games heavily, he was surprised to see that he was personally averaging an hour or less a day of playtime! And his entire career centers on playing and experiencing video games!

What I'm saying is good luck not having a backlog the second you buy literally any game these days.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That is exactly how we wound up with season passes and all that poo poo. Companies trying to prey on your FOMO or desire to be unspoiled to ratchet up screen time.

And I fall for it, every single time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Quantity ≠ quality

Luckily Smash Ultimate is a game where quantity does equal quality.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Even if you're not a fighting game type, you should eventually grab smash just because it's the biggest love letter to video games, their history and especially to iwata.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh boy... I play way too many drat video games. Quarantine gets me usually 3-4 hours a day especially between 11pm and 2 am. It's also what's got me to finish off a ton of games early on into the quarantine. I'm pretty confident a big chunk of my Triple AAA games will be done by the end of the year. The real trick is to not get sucked into buying indie games at the drop of a hat. They'll always be around and generally cheap.

There's not really any purchases that I plan on making in the future aside from your major Nintendo IP, which we have zero news about (I'm not getting Paper Mario).

I need to start reading again, since I had been doing that for 2-3 hours a day on my commutes.

Wildtortilla posted:

These backlogs are bananas. I noticed myself sliding down the slippery backlog slope back in 2010ish with Steam sales and my first real adult paycheck. I curbed that problem in a hurry. The presence of a pile of unplayed/barely played games really stressed me out.

Now I keep a rough list of what I'd like to play and when a sale and/or timing work out in my favor I get one of those games. It's working very well and I don't feel stressed out by a fun hobby. Impulse/hype buying is a trap.

Like I said, you just need to watch indie titles and not get them when they come out. I have a pretty big wish-list but it's there for a sale on a big title, or to remind me to pick up something up at some point. I keep a list of titles I want to get, and that aren't on the e-shop yet as well, but the only thing I'm certain to get off of that is Disco Elysium.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Make :effort: but saying :backlog:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

KingSlime posted:

According to some YouTuber who did the digging in research journals: the average person only spends 30 mins a day playing video games. He was shocked at how low this figure was and compared it to his own. After all, most games range from 10-30 hours and RPGs especially hit the 100 hour mark as the norm now so he was skeptical

As someone who games heavily, he was surprised to see that he was personally averaging an hour or less a day of playtime! And his entire career centers on playing and experiencing video games!

What I'm saying is good luck not having a backlog the second you buy literally any game these days.

This is super interesting, so a link would be good. I think this comports with my experience. I think it's very likely that I spend more time reading this forum and thinking about video games than actually playing them. I think the only times I actually play video games for more than about an hour a day are during the roughly two weeks after I've bought a new one, which I would estimate I do about once every 2-3 months.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm unemployed and spend about 12 hours a day playing games so my backlog is going down

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

. I'm pretty confident a big chunk of my Triple AAA games will be done by the end of the year. The real trick is to not get sucked into buying indie games at the drop of a hat. They'll always be around and generally cheap.

I feel like this is super backwards. Why are you paying 60 for a game that'll be 30 in a month over supporting small 20 dollar games by devs that don't get paid just to code dlc? AAA will always be there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

I feel like this is super backwards. Why are you paying 60 for a game that'll be 30 in a month over supporting small 20 dollar games by devs that don't get paid just to code dlc? AAA will always be there.

I'm talking about on the things that increase my back-log. I'll buy 60 euro games on sale if it's particularly good one. I'll buy them full-price if it's something I really really want, which is usually just first-party stuff.

Indie games don't increase my back-log since I just buy them à la carte when I have the time to play them. They're cheap enough normally so I don't mind paying full-price for them, but I prefer keeping them on a wish-list than already purchased until I'm ready to play them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clubhouse games... You really can't raise bets past the default 5 or go all in to bluff? Lol. How do they manage to mess up Texas hold em

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

God can we get a new Advance Wars already? I can’t believe that series died. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Social Animal posted:

At this point I’d just be really happy to get 1 and 2 on a GBA Online app.:smith:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

This version should be called Texas Fold Every Time because that's how you win when there's a set number of rounds.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is really bad and might be the worst version of Texas hold em I've ever played. There's like no AI and you can't raise or bluff lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Social Animal posted:

I grabbed this the second I noticed it. Extremely good quality so far.

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/wargroove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CacV3hrVA9E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I bought DQ11 last year when it came out and am only just now getting to Act 2. It's a game that I really like the charm, design, and everything about it except playing it.