Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

also I read Luminous Blue because someone was very mad and had changed the mangadex description to be this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
hosed up, but unfortunately not at all surprising given mangadex's forums/comments' sections.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

someone changed it back but it's ok because i like misandry crap for dykes by a misandry author

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
after that chapter 1 i have to read this and see if they ever get their free popsicle

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
God people love talking about 'traps' in the comment section of the one with the guy who loves makeup and his friend decides to present as a girl (Which is being dropped by the group scanlating it for being 'too boring')

:chloe:

I don't know why I do that to myself

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Re: Mangadex and anything LGBTQ+, but mostly regarding the T

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Seshoho Cian posted:

also I read Luminous Blue because someone was very mad and had changed the mangadex description to be this

Well I know what I'm reading next.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

God people love talking about 'traps' in the comment section of the one with the guy who loves makeup and his friend decides to present as a girl (Which is being dropped by the group scanlating it for being 'too boring')

:chloe:

I don't know why I do that to myself
From my understanding, the whole thing is due to a subset of the manga/anime fansub/scanlating community having this misguided sense that using other words might not "get the meaning across" or something along those lines, which is dumb as hell. Of course, sometimes they're just homophobic/transphobic shitheads. Sadly, it's not mutually exclusive.

The why you read mangadex comments thing, though? I dunno. I mean, sometimes you find a diamond in the rough or, hell, even a hidden gem among comment sections/twitter replies and such. Hell, thanks to a twitter reply, I found one of my favorite Fire Emblem-centric artists. But I do reckon it's a "diminishing returns" kinda dealie.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's because a creepy and bad anime "culture" spawned from sites like 4chan, which are like strange time capsules for early 2000s internet (and are also safe spaces for internet slime people who are not wanted anywhere else).
The people who belong to this culture are also themselves time capsules in that they are permanently 14 years old.

This specific subset of nerds is still going to exist 20 years from now and they'll still be using the exact same 2001-era slang and it's going to be weird and awful forever.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jagged Jim posted:

Well I know what I'm reading next.

I just read it earlier this week, it's short and really good and I'm pretty sure I got the recommendation for it from this thread earlier this year

Thank you whoever recommended it

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Wark Say posted:

hosed up, but unfortunately not at all surprising given mangadex's forums/comments' sections.

Added to the list, angry middle aged homophobes is what got me to check out that She-ra cartoon and it was pretty good.

In the dark days of the mid-2000s I had a really hard time finding Bl manga, most of the links took me to comment sections full homophobia. I remember one of the few times I found an actual translated DJ it was a light One Piece fic were they held hands and kissed. But the scanlator had done it as a commission and the page it was on had a massive "no homo" rant about how this was just an obligation and how uncomfortable it was to do etc.

Anyway, haven't read much managa besides a few chapters of Basara but I played Disaster Report 4, and that lets you play as a lesbian or bisexual if you chose to play as a woman*, with some limited romantic options, they don't go very far but its nice not to be rail roaded into heterosexuality in a game that's all about figuring out yourself while surviving an earthquake. And you can dress up in all sorts of clothes and cosplays, including elf ears and ninja outfits, or fast food workers.

*Haven't played as a man so I don't know if they're allowed to be non het.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Seshoho Cian posted:

someone changed it back but it's ok because i like misandry crap for dykes by a misandry author

Heck, same

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did Akanesasu Shoujo disappear from streaming? I thought it was on HIDIVE and can't see it anymore

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

It’s showing up for me. They use they name “the girl in twilight” though. The name you used won’t turn it up as a result.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I tried both, might be because I'm in UK :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish the thing that got more people reading luminous=blue was that it's a sweet yuri manga with a fun ending and beautiful art, instead of cause a lesbophobe fixated on giving it a lovely description

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i didn't know about it until someone posted that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well, it's a good manga and more people should read it

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

CYBEReris posted:

gonna introduce myself as "Non-Binary Maid Reporting for Duty!" from now on

:emptyquote:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

luminous=blue was viscerally painful to read and just about broke my gay heart but in a good way that made the resolution very beautiful

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
another thing is that description is obviously just someone getting mad at the author's other manga up on dynasty about a love triangle that ends with the two lesbians getting together and the guy just being like "well. i guess being gay won and i'll accept this and live peacefully."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ftw

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

luminous blue is very good and now i'll cry

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Colonel posted:

another thing is that description is obviously just someone getting mad at the author's other manga up on dynasty about a love triangle that ends with the two lesbians getting together and the guy just being like "well. i guess being gay won and i'll accept this and live peacefully."

Toumei na Usui Mizuiro ni?

Aurora posted:

luminous blue is very good and now i'll cry

:same:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
okay, i read Luminous=Blue and it was very, very good so i'm glad it got brought up here again to catch my attention even if it was because someone was being an rear end in a top hat about it elsewhere

big mood

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ToxicFrog posted:

Toumei na Usui Mizuiro ni?

:same:

Yep. It's also officially licensed in English as Transparent Light Blue, by the way, if you're looking for a way to throw some money at the author. There are also some bonus one-shots included, since the story would be a bit short to fill a volume by itself.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 6, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Yep. It's also officially licensed in English as Transparent Light Blue, by the way, if you're looking for a way to throw some money at the author. There are also some bonus one-shots included, since the story would be a bit short to fill a volume by itself.

Aah, I'll check that out!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The burger gang.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

New Witch's Servant.

Lost it at owl facepalm, and lost it again at HYPERSLAP!!!

This series is so good :allears:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sauro is good, it turns out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The love polygon grows more complex.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
New Witch's Servant

I love how all the misunderstandings have finally been sorted out and somehow things still ended up escalating further.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

just binged all of Witch's Servant and noticed the last 50 chapters all got released in like the last five minutes, how close is the translation to catching up with the original so i can be emotionally prepared having to wait months at a time for more?

also i hope Rei messes up Sauro again

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Witch's Servant is amazing. It started as a generic low-rent and kinda iffy fantasy fare (I am so glad King Bull isn't showing up that much any more), and it has become a really nice story about a found family of queer folks.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
witch's servant owns

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i feel bad for vivian, everyone enjoying a cute poly coven without her

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

i feel bad for vivian, everyone enjoying a cute poly coven without her

Yeah, from what little we've seen and heard of Vivian, I get the impression that she'd be all over that.

Once she's reawakened I fully expect here to hook up with Brenda, to be honest.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Eric stole the show and also my big gay nonbinary heart

what a flirt

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really love witch's servant...But it's been getting hard to read with mangadex making GBS threads the bed so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really love witch's servant...But it's been getting hard to read with mangadex making GBS threads the bed so badly.

I've been using Hakuneko to pre-download chapters and then read them offline; it can be a bit flaky (and if flakes out you have to manually tell it to retry the download) but at least once it's done, you have an entire intact chapter guaranteed, and don't need to deal with "whoops! halfway through the chapter I'm just going to stop displaying pages!"