Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Humble just put up a Skylines bundle if you know anyone who wants or haven't gotten a bunch of expansions

$1
- Base Game
- Deep Focus Radio

> $Average:
- Concerts
- Content Creator Pack: High-Tech Buildings
- Snowfall
- Natural Disasters

$20
- Mass Transit
- Green Cities
- Industries
- Campus
- Content Creator Pack: Art Deco
- Content Creator Pack: European Suburbia
...dang that is a good deal. other than the new fishing expansion, that includes pmuch every expansion of substance other than after dark, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Sweet jiminy that's a great deal.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hell, I had some of the DLC (Mass Transit, Snowfall, Disasters) already and it's still a good deal.

I should actually get back into the game this week, gotta go update some mods.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Are they individual Steam codes for each DLC or what? There's some things on that list I'd be interested in that'd be more money individually.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steam codes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Is that all of the feature DLC?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I really can't imagine playing without 81 tiles (and I suppose realistic population revisited) anymore.

like I bought the game on release, I remember those days, but having so much free space and big city now makes it hard to remember how we coped.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda hoping the bundle sale is their way of squeezing the last before announcing Skylines 2: now with higher system requirements.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda hoping the bundle sale is their way of squeezing the last before announcing Skylines 2: now with higher system requirements.

:pray:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they're smart, when they do announce Skylines 2 they'll have a very simple auto-import batch for existing buildings where you just have to fill out some extra properties to convert it to a cs2 lot. (Like hopefully specifying wealth level separate to vs density level)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mixed use zoning please

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Arrhythmia posted:

Is that all of the feature DLC?
Looks like it's missing After Dark. There's some decent quality of life content in that, like bike/bus lanes, the cargo hub, and the bus hub, but most of the expansion is cosmetic with the day/night cycle. Taxis were essentially broken last I checked.

Wait for a sale on After Dark to complete it if you really want to see your cities at night.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

Looks like it's missing After Dark. There's some decent quality of life content in that, like bike/bus lanes, the cargo hub, and the bus hub, but most of the expansion is cosmetic with the day/night cycle. Taxis were essentially broken last I checked.

Wait for a sale on After Dark to complete it if you really want to see your cities at night.

Day/Night cycle was free into the base game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The bike lanes are the only meaningful feature in After Dark, but they're a real nice one.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Eric the Mauve posted:

The bike lanes are the only meaningful feature in After Dark, but they're a real nice one.
Hey now, you can also change your commercial zones to ones that're so loud they make all your residents die!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Albino Squirrel posted:

Hey now, you can also change your commercial zones to ones that're so loud they make all your residents die!

They make a poo poo ton of money and they look cool at night!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

they die for the economy :911:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I got this with PS+ and can't stop playing it, but also kinda can't stop taking it far more seriously than I need to. I keep playing it like old SimCity or other such games where failure and bankruptcy are constantly looming and stressful

Is there a good video series y'all would recommend? All the ones I've found so far seem to take 75% of the video just making sure the roads are lined up perfectly, without actually explaining any of the mechanics

Like, I keep trying to make my city "realistic" which seems to not work very well. Or perhaps it's just a statement on how dumb people are if you don't micromanage their every move :v:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
After you hit, uh, maybe 1,000 cims? then bankruptcy essentially becomes impossible.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I doubt anyone here knows how to play this game correctly any more. We all turned on infinite money a looong time ago.

When playing for real, roads and reducing traffic is the number one thing. Just space out services, and don't over-educate the populace. Having good road and transportation connections in your industrial areas are key to making money.

Walking paths between blocks are great to encourage Cims to walk. You can even make elevated paths over/under highways between otherwise seperates neighborhoods to encourage walking and discourage car use. I like to make sure I have walking and biking paths between residential and industrial areas, a surprising amount of Cims use them to commute.

Traffic is the enemy!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 29, 2020

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Suspect Bucket posted:

I doubt anyone here knows how to play this game correctly any more. We all turned on infinite money a looong time ago.

When playing for real, roads and reducing traffic is the number one thing. Just space out services, and don't over-educate the populace. Having good road and transportation connections in your industrial areas are key to making money.

Walking paths between blocks are great to encourage Cims to walk. You can even make elevated paths over/under highways between otherwise seperates neighborhoods to encourage walking and discourage car use. I like to make sure I have walking and biking paths between residential and industrial areas, a surprising amount of Cims use them to commute.

Traffic is the enemy!

I hate the fact that too much education is a problem.

It makes you make slums just to keep businesses happy, which is pretty ghoulish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CommaToes posted:

It makes you make slums just to keep businesses happy, which is pretty ghoulish.

In my own games, I design large medium density complexes with lots of parks and convenient to low density retail (with a buffer zone to soak up the noise) to simulate a well planned and enthusiastically supported worker housing. My current city has Quetzal Gardens, which started out as a garden apartment complex (kinda similar to the one I currently live in) with a vigorous focus on garden allotments, feeding workers to the industrial sites. It's now sprawled out to the coast, it has a large urban farming agricultural education sector, pools and sports complexes, a monorail/bus hub, shoreline mixed use commercial residential, new housing towers, and a state park. Basically a fever dream of my ideal medium/high density diverse housing community.

You need mods to do this though.

I also design lovely sprawling suburbs to fill space and gleefully eminent domain them for higher density projects.

I'll post pics later, I'm quite proud of it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 29, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like how the dumbasses will just keep building skyscrapers and then abandoning them because there's not enough smart people to work there

Real circle of life there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"You need mods to do this though" is practically the game's tagline

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MikeJF posted:

If they're smart, when they do announce Skylines 2 they'll have a very simple auto-import batch for existing buildings where you just have to fill out some extra properties to convert it to a cs2 lot. (Like hopefully specifying wealth level separate to vs density level)
In some way I kind of want this not to work because they've so fundamentally reworked the game that the logic of where you even build stuff* makes importing an issue, but I suppose the importer could basically just be the first step, with it then going into a map editor where you work out the kinks until the import follows the new game rules. This would also work pretty well with having a fully usable building/road system in the map editor, allowing you to build base cities that can be expanded upon in-game. Like, if you're not gonna have the in-game world go through periods with changing architectural styles, then having the option of building a base historical city you can build a modern city in and around would be a cool compromise. Plus someone would build like Paris, upload it, and within a week you'd have the most amazing attempts at solving its traffic issues that completely ruins the actual reason people want to live there.

*I think it'd be neat if the environment was more than just a paint job. The ground you're building on ranging from solid bedrock to weak silt would affect not just how much a project would cost, but whether it was even feasible, while the local climate would determine what kind of challenges you have to deal with when designing your city. For example, if you were building in a monsoon climate map you might not want to invest in a subway, even if that was normally the optimal choice, because it'd easily get knocked out for months on end by the monsoon season. Assuming they tried to lean a bit more into actual gameplay, it'd be a natural way to make the game more complex and less easily solved, if what is optimal in one scenario can be a terrible one in another. Of course I am somewhat of a simulationist, which is why I'm not that big of a fan of the game works, but even from an aesthetic point of view there's an argument to be made that restrictions can actually foster creativity and encourage you to attempt different paths.

precision posted:

I like how the dumbasses will just keep building skyscrapers and then abandoning them because there's not enough smart people to work there

Real circle of life there
I think the Victoria II capitalist AI might have jumped ship into Cities Skylines.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"But God-Mayor, you said we could build high density commercial buildings anywhere on that road!"
"Could! Not should! Fah-cking humans!"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think I'm gonna start playing this game again, but I had uninstalled it on steam and probably lost all my mods. Probably go ahead and get the humble bundle and get industries etc. What are the up to date mods I need to actually play the danged game? There was a good one for managing lanes/traffic?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just sort the workshop by most downloaded and you'll find everything you need on about the first five or six pages.

The one you're thinking of is right near the top and it's called Traffic Manager: President Edition.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommaToes posted:

you're gonna poo poo when you hear about neoliberal capitalism

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The devs highlighting/promoting a tutorial on "How to build a favela" is in questionable taste, to say the least

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

We're just going to place a police precinct outside of this neighborhood and also set its budget to 50%. So how is it going to actually service this area? Well, let's just flip over to the "corruption" tab...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

you're gonna poo poo when you hear about neoliberal capitalism

Yeah that plus building lots of useless skyscrapers that nobody uses is pretty realistic lol.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
After Dark was added to the humble bundle dlc bundle.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rhaegar posted:

After Dark was added to the humble bundle dlc bundle.

If I already donated can I still scoop it up?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Yes, it's in the Average tier, so if you already paid that much, key should already be there. Otherwise add to your existing purchase: https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/202394324-How-To-Unlock-More-Games

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm getting started with this and the good mod collections in the OP all seem to be way out of date and incompatible. Is there a new good mod collection I should look at?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Network Extensions 2: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812125426
81 Tiles: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576327847
Move It: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1619685021
Extra Landscaping Tools: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502750307

You should probably hit up youtube tutorials for using Move It and the Landscaping Tools.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Humble just put up a Skylines bundle if you know anyone who wants or haven't gotten a bunch of expansions

$1
- Base Game
- Deep Focus Radio

> $Average:
- Concerts
- Content Creator Pack: High-Tech Buildings
- Snowfall
- Natural Disasters

$20
- Mass Transit
- Green Cities
- Industries
- Campus
- Content Creator Pack: Art Deco
- Content Creator Pack: European Suburbia
Holy poo poo what a deal. What timing. I haven't played Skylines in years and decided to check up on this thread to see if it was worth getting back into it. Yes, now is the time. :getin:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Parklife is very good and also worth getting as it's not in the bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Came across the Simcity 3 and 4 soundtracks on Youtube. Seriously brings back the nostalgia for me; also happens to be great background music for working. I figure several people in this thread probably also have a large section of grey matter dedicated to smooth jazz city-building music.

SC3K
SC4