Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

(A) How much math is involved? Like seriously, I get your point that computer science is probably out of the question if you're not a math type, but I think there are still a lot of attorneys out there (okay, yes, me - but I assume others as well) who are the stereotypical "I can add and subtract numbers, sometimes, but that's about it," level of mathematical ability (and probably similar levels with respect to any other "hard" STEM skillsets). I'm probably not going to go learn calculus at this age, and I'm frankly not sure I could if I wanted to. I'm not talking about just math, however - anything where a sort of formal training or underpinning
of mathematics/chemistry/physics/engineering is needed. What limitations will one face because of this factor (e.g. you mention cybersecurity - does a lack of a fundamental understanding of what Bayesian even means gently caress you over)?
Not SlyFrog and no law background, but I am a hiring manager for software engineering positions. I'm fair at math, and I've done fine my whole career up until my current job where I'm dealing with big data and AI (read computational statistics). The last year or two have pushed on my mediocrity in math, but if you are like the 95% of people who build software, your math skills aren't that relevant. There is a whole subfield of what amounts to automating business processes where you barely even need to reason about computational complexity which is the mathiest thing most engineers need to do.

quote:

(B) What do you see for age discrimination? Everyone has their own factors, but for me, for example, being in my later 40s, I would now have to worry about putting in time/money to learn a new skillset over a year or two, only to potentially have a large number of employers laugh at the notion of hiring a completely new to the field 50 year old. I have heard rumor that technology related fields in particular are horrible about age discrimination. What, if anything, have you seen here?

It depends on the time and place. Part of age discrimination is that software development moves very, very fast in terms of what's the state of the art. If you don't actively spend time keeping yourself current (usually on your own time), you will end up with skills that are increasingly out of date/less useful. I moved into management to get off of that treadmill because the older I got the harder I found it to stay sharp and current. If you are newly entering the field, it won't be a problem for the first several years since everything you'll learn will be current and if you can hack learning it new, you can definitely hack staying current. Some of the most valuable employees I've hired are career switchers out of a coding bootcamp. Putting up 15-20k of your own money to switch career fields implies a level of hunger and drive to succeed that is awesome to have on your team.

However, the main challenge people face is that brand new engineers of any sort are worse than useless for at least a year unless you can supervise them well and there is a degree of stigma about junior engineers because of that. No experience plus no CS background plus a presumption that older people can't learn fast enough can make it reasonably hard to find your first job with a significant subset of employers. If you can get over that hurdle and get ~2 years of experience at a place where you get decent supervision and coaching, you can basically write your own check because demand for engineers is so nuts, even in the current depression so far.

I'm happy to answer questions for anyone via PM as well if you want a different perspective than Slyfrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Based on the above discussion, I favor closed book, because I remember those high class rank Adderall-snorting gunner bigots, and gently caress every last one of em

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on the above discussion, I favor closed book, because I remember those high class rank Adderall-snorting gunner bigots, and gently caress every last one of em

those fuckers have the book memorized, it’s the cool people who want to read the case during the exam and not before

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Roger_Mudd posted:

I was in IT back around 2000 and made decent money prior to the dot com crash. Then I decided that paradise was on the other side of 7 years of school and 150k of debt.

This sounds familiar, except that I went to a night law school while programming. Bad decision but it's always been too tough to switch back.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Closed book exams that test your ability to memorize and reproduce information are the worst. Multiple choice aren't much better.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wins32767 posted:

However, the main challenge people face is that brand new engineers of any sort are worse than useless for at least a year unless you can supervise them well and there is a degree of stigma about junior engineers because of that.

drat, only a year?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlothBear posted:

I never understood the complaint about closed book tests. Everyone is playing by the same rules, sure your answer is less perfect but so is everybody else's. It's all on a curve, right?

Especially in bar prep classes if the idea is to prepare you for the bar exam, until that's an open book test the prep for it should be closed too.

the only closed book exam i even remember is one in 3L year where the teachers over and over told us we wouldn't need to know specific case names and just concepts. the closed book exam had one of the half dozen essays just ask ' what is the holding of casename' that was completely obscure. we all had a laugh outside about how it was just how they set the curve - only the turbonerds would knew the answer and no one else did, so it was clear they didnt even have to grade the rest of the exams to hand out a handful of As and a ton of Bs

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

the only closed book exam i even remember is one in 3L year where the teachers over and over told us we wouldn't need to know specific case names and just concepts. the closed book exam had one of the half dozen essays just ask ' what is the holding of casename' that was completely obscure. we all had a laugh outside about how it was just how they set the curve - only the turbonerds would knew the answer and no one else did, so it was clear they didnt even have to grade the rest of the exams to hand out a handful of As and a ton of Bs

I'm still salty that my crim law exam was like half questions about random minutiae from all the movies the teacher had us watch that semester.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

mastershakeman posted:

The "short essay" part of my closed-book civpro exam was one fact pattern and three essays: (1) how would this case come out under McGee; (2) how would this case come out under World-Wide Volkswagen ; (3) how would this case come out under Burger King. Don't remember if those were the three cases but you take the horrible, horrible point.

Eight-hour take-home open book exams with word limits or death! No, seriously, they're the best, and most realistic, so long as the word limits are short enough that the goal is to construct the right answers rather than vomit out all the rules you know.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BryanLlenas/status/1268637787881975809

This seems bad. Any thoughts from crim law types?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vox Nihili posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanLlenas/status/1268637787881975809

This seems bad. Any thoughts from crim law types?

I don't know what New York law says. I'd need more detail on his ruling. In my state keeping someone detained for more than 24 hours without setting a bond is explicitly forbidden by statute but judges still sometimes do it because it's not the sort of thing that can be easily appealed.

A blanket ruling like this, well, that's why the ACLU exists.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Dumbest question on my Contracts I exam, where not once did we discuss the judges in any of the cases, worth 10% of the grade:

“Which judge do you believe had the most significant impact on the law of contracts, and why? Use specific cases in your discussion.”

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dumbest question on my Contracts I exam, where not once did we discuss the judges in any of the cases, worth 10% of the grade:

“Which judge do you believe had the most significant impact on the law of contracts, and why? Use specific cases in your discussion.”

Isn't Cardozo the gimmie? Palzgraf, lady duff, buick (or Pontiac?) and a crapload others?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The actual answer is "whichever trial judge dismisses the breach of contract case against my client and also declines to dismiss the breach of contract claim filed by my other client."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The answer is "whichever judge decided the case(s) that the professor is most passionate about."

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In Canada (and I assume other Commonwealth countries) the answer was always Lord Denning.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If it were "person" rather than "judge," I would have picked Karl Llewellyn.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

Isn't Cardozo the gimmie? Palzgraf, lady duff, buick (or Pontiac?) and a crapload others?

I still have no loving clue. Palsgraf was a tort case

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I left it blank and got a B+ and if I have a poo poo about law school at all I would have marched up and given that professor a piece of my mind. But she drowned so I guess I won in the end.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Michael Phelps here...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Weird, Ive noticed that posters critical of Phil have also had a tendency to disappear

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I still have no loving clue. Palsgraf was a tort case

Contacts and Torts were both 1L classes that I've never had to use since then, so I never really covered over those initial memories with anything useful.
Or maybe it was because Cardozo's grandpa was my contacts professor. He was so proud of his little Benji.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

Contacts and Torts were both 1L classes that I've never had to use since then, so I never really covered over those initial memories with anything useful.
Or maybe it was because Cardozo's grandpa was my contacts professor. He was so proud of his little Benji.

Joat mon took “contacts” from a grandpa

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

But she drowned so I guess I won in the end.

alas, yet another case where the use of passive voice masks the perpetrator in media coverage.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joat mon posted:

Cardozo’s *grandpa* was your contracts prof? We knew you were old but drat, man.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Joat mon took “contacts” from a grandpa

I meant cataracts.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Liches posting in the law thread and people are surprised, smdh

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

alas, yet another case where the use of passive voice masks the perpetrator in media coverage.

lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Go to law school!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sullat posted:

Go to law school!

Why are they arresting Narduar the Human Serviet?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sullat posted:

Go to law school!

Under normal circumstances this is pretty close to the dream scenario as a volunteer legal observer. Under the current circumstances I doubt any litigation of value will come from individual instances of wanton police violence such as this but at least it can be thrown on the pile.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Pretty good lesson on that authoritarians and fascists don't hold anyone to be special or above brutalizing, the boot doesn't care about the face whether it's a lawyer, a 75 year old man or your own grandmother.

I think this may be where you find out if the principles of law matter for a drat, or if it's all just made up to serve the power du jour.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I think this may be where you find out if the principles of law matter for a drat, or if it's all just made up to serve the power du jour.

Relax. The Third Amendment is our ultimate, unbeatable shield against tyranny.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 5, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I think that 3rd amendment thing is that last tick trump needed to complete his full Bill of Rights bingo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The Tenth Amendment reserves the right of individual states to shoot rubber bullets at your eyes

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

So because this is the darkest timeline, who wants to bet that if Minneapolis does actually abolish the current police department Scalia's DoL will try to enforce the NLRA for the first time?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ok this got me pretty good

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Relax. The Third Amendment is our ultimate, unbeatable shield against tyranny.

Look, I wasn't expecting a surprise appearance by the third amendment in all of this insanity. It's a last minute plot twist by the writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Some of us were 3rd amendment stans before it was cool

I think i've posted before about how I think there's conceptual room for a "strong" reading of the third amendment, where it blocks things like surveillance in the home, etc. Basically 3rd amendment as explicit right to privacy (following Griswold). But the law isn't actually there.