Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm currently doing a Last Defenders vortex campaign and I managed to confederate a Lizardmen faction with an Ancient Kroxigor lord. Is it worth keeping the big angry alligatorman around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kislev definitely has Baba Yaga style witches. They use the spookier basic lores like shadow, death, beasts, maybe even fire? And they ride chicken-footed huts into battle. That wasn't in the 6th white dwarf list so I imagine it's from the rpg, but it's definitely canon.

And given that the two known Kislev characters are literally a father/daughter pair of monarchs, someone on youtube had a good idea a couple years ago: have Tsar Boris abdicate instead of dying. Have him go off to lead a crusade for Ursun somewhere over yonder in the game 3 map. Katarina starts in Kislev and is the main lord, Boris starts somewhere weird and has good justification for a bunch of bear-based buffs.

I think the Kislev Baba Yaga is from the fan codex.

The RPG supplement has "hag witches" beign a thing in Ungol* communities. They aren't necessarily magic users, though some have a few spells (technically illegal since Ice magic and the Ice Witches are the only kind of magic allowed in Kislev, they hunt down and kill other magic users), their thing is more about soothsaying and keeping the community free from the taint of chaos.

*There are two ethnicities in Kislev. The Gospodars are basically Slavs, while the Ungols are a Turkic/Mongolian steppe people. There are tensions between the two and the Gospodars monopolize most officials positions of power, though ultimately both are considered (and consider themselves) part of Kislev.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm currently doing a Last Defenders vortex campaign and I managed to confederate a Lizardmen faction with an Ancient Kroxigor lord. Is it worth keeping the big angry alligatorman around?

Any lord you dismiss will be available again later, so if you're having budgetary issues now just keep him in mind for later or stack him with things like income/public order buffs and park him where you want them for a while. He will slowly get some xp and you can have him do odd jobs like sacking lovely settlements or rebellion patrol with a small stack.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Anything with Kroxigor in it should be an infantry munching beast, compare his stats to your other lords and see what unique buffs his skill tree has. Probably has to watch for anti large/mass ranged. If the AI got dumb everywhere get the one button respec mod, salvages confed lords every time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kislev definitely has Baba Yaga style witches. They use the spookier basic lores like shadow, death, beasts, maybe even fire? And they ride chicken-footed huts into battle. That wasn't in the 6th white dwarf list so I imagine it's from the rpg, but it's definitely canon.

And given that the two known Kislev characters are literally a father/daughter pair of monarchs, someone on youtube had a good idea a couple years ago: have Tsar Boris abdicate instead of dying. Have him go off to lead a crusade for Ursun somewhere over yonder in the game 3 map. Katarina starts in Kislev and is the main lord, Boris starts somewhere weird and has good justification for a bunch of bear-based buffs.
With the future resurrection of WFB I wouldn't be surprised if they lift things like the Babas Yagas wholesale and make them into models. As for Boris, I really don't think it matters whether he's supposed to be dead or alive on the timeline, it hasn't affected any of TW's other Lord picks.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kobal2 posted:

The lack of zombie artillery is darkest of all though. That's how you know undeath is uncool.

yeah you can't convince me some necromancer worth his salt can't just conjure a big ball of skellies and have it launched at people via catapult. tie a pestilent zombie to it for a plague version

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

With the future resurrection of WFB I wouldn't be surprised if they lift things like the Babas Yagas wholesale and make them into models. As for Boris, I really don't think it matters whether he's supposed to be dead or alive on the timeline, it hasn't affected any of TW's other Lord picks.

It definitely doesn't matter. The problem is more that both he and Katarin are supposed to be rulers of Kislev and Katarin is his daughter. However they'll probably find a way around it. For example by having him be outside Kislev leading a lost expedition faction, that would both reference how he died in the lore and solve the problem of including both of them at once. Because both are cool and both are sort of defined by being the ruler of Kislev, and if I had to choose one as the "race leader" who gets the capital, I'd pick Katarin.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
You guys are asking about the wrong Baba Yaga. John Wick as LL confirmed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Has anyone played a Wulfhart ME campaign? I tried him on vortex but found it a bit tiresome. Is ME better or worse? Is doing a whole ME campaign with his expedition gimmicks happening annoying?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That was so drat cringy in the movie. Like, sure Russian dude would use old witch eating children. Should have called him Koschey, or something.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

JBP posted:

Has anyone played a Wulfhart ME campaign? I tried him on vortex but found it a bit tiresome. Is ME better or worse? Is doing a whole ME campaign with his expedition gimmicks happening annoying?

I hate that jungle continent so NOPE

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fartbox posted:

I hate that jungle continent so NOPE

My dream is to drown the land in rocket artillery but I can't be hosed dealing with the continent and a metre that makes it more angry at you constantly.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

tildes posted:

What’s a recommended empire late game unit composition? I’ve been playing with Gelt and am still rolling with basically archers and spear men + a mortar in his army like 70 turns in. It just has felt unnecessary to have anything other than Gelt, but i am realizing I’ve kind of left my other lords with sort of random compositions.
the empire. I’ve taken the Sylvanias and Marienburg, and am now just slowly eating up Bretonnia, but I’m not really sure how I’m supposed to wrap up the empire part of the campaign. Should I just blitz everyone all at once at the very end?

The empire has a lot of stuff they can use at the endgame. None of their units are superstrong but their versatility is great. A common tactic is to bomb the poo poo out of the enemy with mortars and helstorms at range, then shoot the shiit out of the enemy as they close with handgunners and let your basic infantry bog them down while you keep shooting everything until it is dead

Grenadier outriders are also seriously good. The AI is dumb as hell so it's really easy to flank it with grenadiers and once you do, their explosive projectiles will just obliterate all but the most heavily armored infantry

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fartbox posted:

The empire has a lot of stuff they can use at the endgame. None of their units are superstrong but their versatility is great. A common tactic is to bomb the poo poo out of the enemy with mortars and helstorms at range, then shoot the shiit out of the enemy as they close with handgunners and let your basic infantry bog them down while you keep shooting everything until it is dead

If you want to be a bit flamboyant you can't go wrong with having a couple of units of reiksgard knights to charge enemy units that are already having a bad time and break them. I'm also partial to the Pegasus captain interceptor airwing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randarkman posted:

I think the Kislev Baba Yaga is from the fan codex.

The RPG supplement has "hag witches" beign a thing in Ungol* communities. They aren't necessarily magic users, though some have a few spells (technically illegal since Ice magic and the Ice Witches are the only kind of magic allowed in Kislev, they hunt down and kill other magic users), their thing is more about soothsaying and keeping the community free from the taint of chaos.

*There are two ethnicities in Kislev. The Gospodars are basically Slavs, while the Ungols are a Turkic/Mongolian steppe people. There are tensions between the two and the Gospodars monopolize most officials positions of power, though ultimately both are considered (and consider themselves) part of Kislev.

The Ungol general guy as a Kislevite horde (or pseudo-horde like the vampirates) could be a neat idea.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Count Noctilus on his Necrofex mount

72% wardsave + 45% missile resistance + regeneration. Pretty sure if I get some better items I'll get 80+ wardsave...

I am effectively immortal

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

TheHoosier posted:

yeah you can't convince me some necromancer worth his salt can't just conjure a big ball of skellies and have it launched at people via catapult. tie a pestilent zombie to it for a plague version

Broke : raise unholy giant piles of the dead using twisted magic and have them shoot guns at people
Woke : raise unholy giant guns using twisted magic and have them shoot piles of the dead at people

EDIT : someone mod Big Bess to shoot Bloated Corpses, I didn't know I absolutely needed this until right now.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 5, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
200 turns into my first game and I just now see in a youtube video that I have to apply the banners to my units at the pre-battle screen...

Also started a Grimgor ME game in co-op with a friend. Haven't seen any guides written up about new Greenskins. Anyone have army or skill recommendations for him? Seems like I should just focus on Orcs, but afraid that's too narrow. Any general Greenskin campaign strategies? Just fight a lot?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kobal2 posted:

Broke : raise unholy giant piles of the dead using twisted magic and have them shoot guns at people
Woke : raise unholy giant guns using twisted magic and have them shoot piles of the dead at people

Bespoke: raise unholy undead giants using twisted magic and have them shoot piles of the dead at people using guns

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does anyone else just make a like... sitter Lord to be made EC of Marienburg and just sitting there till the end of the game because their only use is economy

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Onmi posted:

Does anyone else just make a like... sitter Lord to be made EC of Marienburg and just sitting there till the end of the game because their only use is economy

I've done things like that with heroes, but never lords.

Does that actually pay off? I thought hiring an extra lord applied a multiplier on your upkeep that the bonus they grant to a single province will never pay off.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It used to be a thing with Alberic but then CA changed it so we could actually use him for stuff without feeling dumb. No one else is worth using for that role thanks to supply lines.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mzbundifund posted:

I've done things like that with heroes, but never lords.

Does that actually pay off? I thought hiring an extra lord applied a multiplier on your upkeep that the bonus they grant to a single province will never pay off.

It does for most factions but this used to be a legit strategy for Brettonia because they don't get the upkeep multiplier, and Alberic had an absolutely ridiculous skill that multiplied income from ports to a degree it made 0 sense to ever move him out of his home province.

The amount of the multiplier is also difficulty dependent. It ranges from 3-15% which can be anything from 'barely noticable' on easy to crippling on Legendary.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

KingKapalone posted:

200 turns into my first game and I just now see in a youtube video that I have to apply the banners to my units at the pre-battle screen...

Also started a Grimgor ME game in co-op with a friend. Haven't seen any guides written up about new Greenskins. Anyone have army or skill recommendations for him? Seems like I should just focus on Orcs, but afraid that's too narrow. Any general Greenskin campaign strategies? Just fight a lot?

First of all, ditch Grimgor. Basically every other lord is wayyyyy better than him for campaign. Wurzag gets amazing skills for savage orcs, trolls and idols and Grom gets amazing skills for goblins while the third guy I can't remember the name of gets a flying mount and magic. With wurzag you just get a lot of savage bois and boarbois and charge the enemy down because you'll eventually have 50% physical resist in your entire army if you go full savage. Then you just do your supernuke spell "foot of gork" over and over until the enemy is sufficiently pasted.

Grimgor mainly boosts black orcs, but they're not even that good and he does not boost them that much... Grom for example, can boost goblins until they're way better than black orcs. Groms cauldron is just plain more fun as well. Grom owns and is easily one of the most fun lords in the game imo

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 5, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Grimgor's da best though.

Also his immortal blackorcs aren't half bad either.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

No they're great, especially when you put the immortal banner on the regiment of renown black orcs. But that's .. mostly it really.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It should be noted you don't HAVE to play the most broken thing if given the choice of multiple start positions and leaders, choose what you'll find fun and challenging since it's a singleplayer game, Grimgor doesn't have the foot of gork but he can still shove his foot up another lord's rear end.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Plus he can grab Wurzag right out of the gate anyway

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Fartbox posted:

First of all, ditch Grimgor. Basically every other lord is wayyyyy better than him for campaign. Wurzag gets amazing skills for savage orcs, trolls and idols and Grom gets amazing skills for goblins while the third guy I can't remember the name of gets a flying mount and magic. With wurzag you just get a lot of savage bois and boarbois and charge the enemy down because you'll eventually have 50% physical resist in your entire army if you go full savage. Then you just do your supernuke spell "foot of gork" over and over until the enemy is sufficiently pasted.

Grimgor mainly boosts black orcs, but they're not even that good and he does not boost them that much... Grom for example, can boost goblins until they're way better than black orcs. Groms cauldron is just plain more fun as well. Grom owns and is easily one of the most fun lords in the game imo

Hmm I'll have to see if my co-op friend is willing to start again. He's playing as Azhag and Grimgor started nearby. We're just a couple of turns in.

It was tough to find two guys that start kind of close to each other. If he wants to stick with them, it seems a bit silly to start as Grom on the other side. Any other combo recommendations?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

smug jeebus posted:

Plus he can grab Wurzag right out of the gate anyway

You can grab any lord easily as greenskins, except grom who is pretty far away

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm I'll have to see if my co-op friend is willing to start again. He's playing as Azhag and Grimgor started nearby. We're just a couple of turns in.

It was tough to find two guys that start kind of close to each other. If he wants to stick with them, it seems a bit silly to start as Grom on the other side. Any other combo recommendations?

Wurzag and Grimgor starts the closest to eachother. Azhag isn't THAT far away but is stuck in the mountains

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 5, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How on earth do you start as Khatep? This feels like a joke.

I start with a single region that isn't the province capital in an extremely long thin province. All the other regions in my province are minimum two turns away, and if I go anywhere these loving uncatchable beastman armies (that I start at war with) materialize out of thin air and burn down my one town. If I sit in town recruiting lovely skeletons (the only units I can get) they stay out of reach until I go anywhere, then they materialize out of thin air and burn down my town. If by some miracle I actually make it to one of my other regions and settle one of the ruins, they either materialize out of thin air and burn down my starting town (putting me back to one unupgraded region) or else they materialize out of thin air and burn down my new town and my weakened troops with it. I make like 40 gold a turn, and spending my one starting build slot on stronger garrison just costs half my cash and isn't even enough to beat the beastmen.

I've tried setting ambushes but they never fall into them, and the beastmen apparently move in such a way that I can't ever get a beast paths interception either.

What am I supposed to do?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

I start with a single region that isn't the province capital in an extremely long thin province. All the other regions in my province are minimum two turns away, and if I go anywhere these loving uncatchable beastman armies (that I start at war with) materialize out of thin air and burn down my one town. If I sit in town recruiting lovely skeletons (the only units I can get) they stay out of reach until I go anywhere, then they materialize out of thin air and burn down my town. If by some miracle I actually make it to one of my other regions and settle one of the ruins, they either materialize out of thin air and burn down my starting town (putting me back to one unupgraded region) or else they materialize out of thin air and burn down my new town and my weakened troops with it. I make like 40 gold a turn, and spending my one starting build slot on stronger garrison just costs half my cash and isn't even enough to beat the beastmen.

I've tried setting ambushes but they never fall into them, and the beastmen apparently move in such a way that I can't ever get a beast paths interception either.

best way to do an ambush is to put your main army in ambush stance and then recruit a lone bait-lord and try to get the enemy to attack him (with him standing close to your ambushing lord so they'll reinforce him)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fartbox posted:

best way to do an ambush is to put your main army in ambush stance and then recruit a lone bait-lord and try to get the enemy to attack him (with him standing close to your ambushing lord so they'll reinforce him)

Tomb kings literally cannot recruit a second lord until they finish a tech, turn 16 at the minimum.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ungrim with a stack of slayers is a pretty big speed bump in the campaign

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Try getting the ritual going for a instant T3 in the ruined capital of the starting location as fast as possible and spend your time sacking and fighting the nearby darkelves to build all-important experience and jars on khatep and your many casters, just survive and collect experience and the gold to build a t3 construct building in the capital, ideally you eventually catch the beastmen and kill them but it's ok to lose your starting town so long as the capital is still standing.

Once you get 1-2 extra lords and some experience you can start breaking through the darkelves and Malekith's endless stacks of highly experienced Black Guard of Naggarond's.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That ritual requires a necrotect, which requires 17 turns of research and 100 jars. I guess I could get the jars by raiding myself for rebellions, but am I really supposed to just sit in my starting region doing nothing for 17 turns?

I can't go fight anybody else because as soon as I leave my starting region the loving beastmen burn it down and I die from no-territories-owned attrition.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I haven't played him since TK release, but yeah Khatep works pretty much like every other TK faction (save maybe Arkhan because ghouls are good) : build chariot building. Get 2 chariots. Use those and your starting monster to inflict crippling losses on those who otherwise destroy your entire army until you unlock army #2.
Use both of your armies to krump your immediate neighbours. Turtle/spoiled earth tactics until you unlock army #3. Rinse, repeat.

EDIT : p. sure you get a free necrotect via event choice before unlocking your first dinasty.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 5, 2020

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
When Skaven ambush your support stack, which was not suppose to fight alone..

And then your basic troops make you proud, marauders have never stood up and fought like this ever..

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Recruit and kick liche priests until you get the trait that gives jars. Khatep can have an insane amount of casters, so put them to use. This is also free to do. Tomb Kings in general have rather slow starts, and Khatep is the hardest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kobal2 posted:

I haven't played him since TK release, but yeah Khatep works pretty much like every other TK faction (save maybe Arkhan because ghouls are good) : build chariot building. Get 2 chariots. Use those and your starting monster to inflict crippling losses on those who otherwise destroy your entire army until you unlock army #2.
Use both of your armies to krump your immediate neighbours. Turtle/spoiled earth tactics until you unlock army #3. Rinse, repeat.

Thanks, but winning fights is not the problem. The problem is that there's multiple beastmen factions that just stay out of range forcing me to sit in my one town doing nothing. There's tons of mountains in the area so as soon as I leave to try to chase them they just teleport over the mountains using beast paths stance and another stack appears out of the fog of war and burns down my town. I don't need to know how to beat them in a fight, I can already do that. I need to know how to get them to actually fight my army.