Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Forbidden Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Forbidden Lady and the Tramp
Forbidden Bedknobs and Broomsticks
The Forbidden Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Forbidden Brother Bear

sorry these all just sound dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I laughed uncontrollably for a good 5 minutes.

Thank you, I needed that after this week.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So Pokemon Co. just released a Golden Age of Animation style short (Disney, Looney Toons, Fleisher, Tom and Jerry, et al). Not a 100% perfect in style, but more faithful that I would have imagined. The only thing that bugs me is having Zuruggu Scraggy as the lead, with how limited his design is in both expression and action (having to hold up his pants almost the entire time). But still, really neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u909_O6CqYc

But of course, the only thing that will be discussed for the next 2 pages is the moment at 2:50.

This is absolutely awesome as hell.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

I laughed uncontrollably for a good 5 minutes.

Thank you, I needed that after this week.

You're welcome :glomp:

I cant believe i left this thread for a year and a half

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So Pokemon Co. just released a Golden Age of Animation style short (Disney, Looney Toons, Fleisher, Tom and Jerry, et al). Not a 100% perfect in style, but more faithful that I would have imagined. The only thing that bugs me is having Zuruggu Scraggy as the lead, with how limited his design is in both expression and action (having to hold up his pants almost the entire time). But still, really neat.

But of course, the only thing that will be discussed for the next 2 pages is the moment at 2:50.

I just watched this and it's adorable.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Beauty and the Forbidden Beast
Forbidden Minions
Forbidden Toy Story

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Alice in Forbidden Wonderland
The Forbidden Rescuers Down Under
James and the Giant Forbidden Peach
Big Forbidden 6
Forbidden Inside Out
Forbidden Moana
Forbidden Gigantic

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Three Forbidden Caballeros

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mostly I just remember this ad from when I was tiny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbyR5zcrHU

Point is though, you don't need to cram it into an existing title, all you need is to put it in front of some random word and it becomes evocative as gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 5, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW Is there any legal way to watch Tangled the Series in the UK? There are no DVDs and the Amazon Prime listings only go up to the Rescuing the Queen from Varian arc.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW Is there any legal way to watch Tangled the Series in the UK? There are no DVDs and the Amazon Prime listings only go up to the Rescuing the Queen from Varian arc.
It's not on Disney+ for you guys?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I guess you could say Mimikyu really got under his skin.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Only as far as the previously mentioned arc. Nothing beyond that, just checked.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Disney+ only appears to have the first two seasons. Same with Microsoft. The iTunes store looks like it has all of it, if you want to pay for it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I tried to use itunes but it crashed or something, it can see the series on the menus but clicking on it just goes to a blank selection.

It looks like this when browsing animation:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 5, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You could always try YouTube. Some episodes were uploaded in two minute snippets. Not sure how legal that is, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but that's a pain. I'd like a legal one so that I can recommend the show to my parents without them having to faff with kimcartoon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I looked it up on my iPhone without any trouble. Maybe try a different device?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't have any apple devices, so since it seems that itunes doesn't work on PC properly I think I'm out of luck.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Hedrigall posted:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, new Loony Tunes is baaaaaaad. It cycles in and out of pretty fluid animation and looking incredibly cheap--objects, characters, and backgrounds are often lacking in a consistency of design, but sometimes the shading is off. Characters sort of flop around, but there isn't the figure drawing fundamentals that make old Loony Tunes actually look good. They don't really understand the violence of the originals. It's more inspired by Itchy and Scratchy than actual Loony Tunes. The characterizations are very off. The whole gag with Bugs is that he's a Mickey Mouse-ish mascot character who is a bit of wise cracker and doesn't even take his own cartoons that seriously. Bugs is insane in these cartoons.

I don't even mind the recent Loony Tunes Show, but this is attempting at recapturing something and missing the mark hard.

I'm also bummed that just like with Disney+'s shorts there isn't better curation on HBOMax of the old Loony Tunes.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 6, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Bugs is actually a throwback to his original depictions. Pretty much all the famous toons have had different personalities over the years.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of which, this guy on YouTube does pretty good videos charting the complete evolution of cartoon characters over the decades

Bugs - https://youtu.be/k49wPd4ZJUM

He has tons more, and also companion videos where he talks about the change in voice actors throughout the years

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, Bugs is actually a throwback to his original depictions. Pretty much all the famous toons have had different personalities over the years.

Yeah, the HBOMax series sticks very close to the 1940's depictions of the characters. I imagine a lot of people aren't as familiar with those shorts since back in the day those would air on cable while networks like ABC and Kids WB usually only ran stuff from the 50's and 60's.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm sorry but hard disagree from what I've seen so far. It's not that I don't get what they're going for, it just seems like an unpleasant facsimile of versions of the characters that only existed for like a couple of years. Like the Bugs screaming thing is something that comes up in the older cartoons, but seems overused in the new ones. But it also is kind of jumbled in terms of them trying to reflect that early 40s style while also having the Roadrunner.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've always been more of a fan of conniving Daffy than wacky Daffy.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Macaluso posted:

I've always been more of a fan of conniving Daffy than wacky Daffy.
Wacky Daffy 4 Lyfe

woo woo!
woo woo!
wooooooo hooo hooo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have the next week off work so I'm going to have an animation bonanza at home, catching up on recent releases and watching some older stuff too.

I probably won't get through everything but here's the list I threw together of what I want to watch:

Abominable
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
A Cat In Paris
Dragon Quest: Your Story
Enchanted
Fritz the Cat
Happy Feet
The Iron Giant
Quest for Camelot
A Silent Voice
Spies in Disguise
Surf’s Up 2: Wavemania
The Willoughbys

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I watched Felix the cat movie earlier today since the last time I saw it I was a kid.

What a god awful movie that was, a mess of a plot, characters designs that clash and its like they dropped Felix into the backdrop of an endgame Final Fantasy dungeon.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I had that movie as a kid and watched it a lot, and even then I knew it was, at minimum, extremely loving strange. Felix and the Princess is foreshadowing for Sonic 2016

Who is the Boss is a radical number tho

https://youtu.be/rXDZ65wTa5w

So 80’s

Edit: wait according to Wikipedia the movie is American-German-Hungarian-Polish-Bulgarian-Canadian

That’s the most countries I’ve ever seen listed in a Wikipedia movie article.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, Spies in Disguise has some real body horror poo poo in it :stonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boxman posted:

I had that movie as a kid and watched it a lot, and even then I knew it was, at minimum, extremely loving strange. Felix and the Princess is foreshadowing for Sonic 2016
I used to rent it quite often and I loved how bugfuck crazy it was, complete with the sexy princess in captivity dance and D&D Vader huffing and wheezing through it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the D&D Vader that was her uncle.

I honestly dig the music for the sequence, but yeah the movie was such a mess, I know someone I think in an older iteration of this megathread joked all the budget went to the CGI Felix in the credits.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Wow, Spies in Disguise has some real body horror poo poo in it :stonk:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Enchanted. I love that movie. And Yeah, Spies in Disguise has some great animation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

The Willoughbys

I really like Alessia Cara's music so I'm really excited to see this.

I don't know anything about it except she's in it and the little clip that Netflix had has her singing and I'm all for it.

Even if it turns out that that's the only song in the movie, I don't care as it was still really nice.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh I've seen Enchanted before a few times, I love it too. Amy Adams is great and every few months I get that song "That's How You Know" from the Central Park scene stuck in my head. What a joyful film :h:

Spies in Disguise was pretty decent! Lots of clever spy gadget ideas and funny gags with the weird flock of pigeons that join them. I hope they make a sequel someday.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Enchanted was cute, though I'm with most people that thought the Queen should've loving shut up once she became a dragon, it made her way less menacing with how much she was yammering on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My main problem with Spies in Disguise was that it built up an interesting idea for the villain then kinda pulled back a little to make it less impactful. I was expecting him to have been a civillian harmed by the crossfire between the backstory badguy and Will Smith, but he was just a henchman that got permanently maimed

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I have the next week off work so I'm going to have an animation bonanza at home, catching up on recent releases and watching some older stuff too.

I probably won't get through everything but here's the list I threw together of what I want to watch:

Abominable
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
A Cat In Paris
Dragon Quest: Your Story
Enchanted
Fritz the Cat
Happy Feet
The Iron Giant
Quest for Camelot
A Silent Voice
Spies in Disguise
Surf’s Up 2: Wavemania
The Willoughbys

Watch The Willoughbys next, it's just REALLY good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

My main problem with Spies in Disguise was that it built up an interesting idea for the villain then kinda pulled back a little to make it less impactful. I was expecting him to have been a civillian harmed by the crossfire between the backstory badguy and Will Smith, but he was just a henchman that got permanently maimed

It's so clearly where that film was going that I definitely feel it was a decision that came from Powers That Be to walk it back.

It reminded me a lot of the animated film 9, where the obvious ending... didn't happen in lieu of a less powerful one that made less sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean Spies in Disguise spends SO much time talking about and cutting to pay specific attention to the civilian consequences of military action that my brain loving subs in what the original nature of the villain clearly was.

*and this does happen, Tai Lung for example was re-written late in Kung Fu Panda to be more evil because the original version they tested, people loving agreed with him lmao. like, not just edgy teens liking scar, normal people thought what had happened to o.g. tai lung was hosed.