Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
As much as some will like to dunk on the athletic and say “hey this is obviously going to happen” and I’ve already seen that on twitter but I think it’s pretty clear all media are suffering because of the complete stoppage of sports. Advertising revenue is beyond flat. It really sucks and I hope people can find new jobs when sports resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

This is probably something that gets brought up any time someone we like is let go, but you'd think Jason and Spencer would be a good fit within the Ringer/Spotify podcasting and blogging universe. I guess nobody like that is really feeling like spending new money right now though. But hell, it seems like they're a couple of guys who wouldn't seem like a weird fit but would also expose the site to some new demos.

If you gave them a podcast and actually promoted it I think it could do really well but the Ringer as a website seems, like, agressively uninterested in college sports and especially in college football.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think someone a couple of weeks ago pointed out that their top articles are still ones from before everyone left. That and their site viewership is lower than when the site was not being updated

it's actually picked up over the last month or two

I wonder how much of this is a temporary decline in readership due to poo poo going on vs their overall business model. Their stuff has been fantastic

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kirshner is out at Vox too.

drat, they had a loving great team together and they completely hosed it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I wonder how much of this is a temporary decline in readership due to poo poo going on vs their overall business model. Their stuff has been fantastic

Saw another tweet that ad revenue (from the podcasts I guess?) is down 25% and subs are dropping. I would imagine the fact that there are no sports happening mixed with the pandemic unemployment is hitting them hard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A couple of the people laid off are mentioned in this thread-

https://twitter.com/bfquinn/status/1268954541208330241?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They let go the Hornets beat guy, and I'll be a little surprised if they replace him with a full-time writer. Was nice while it lasted

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

If you gave them a podcast and actually promoted it I think it could do really well but the Ringer as a website seems, like, agressively uninterested in college sports and especially in college football.

I guess that's why it seems like an easy win; you get two guys who (I'd think) would bring over a lot of new eyeballs, probably for less combined than what you're paying Ryen Russillo. Plus they're guys who can pop in on other podcasts and talk about basically anything (other sports, video games, wrestling, etc.) and give those podcasts new exposure. As much as the Ringer seems to value that sort of cross-pollination, it seems like a slam-dunk. Guess it will have to wait until I'm podcasting czar.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe Spencer and Jason can just join the McElroy family.

Can you imagine how much My Brother My Brother and Me is improved if you replace Travis with Jason Kirk?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 5, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I wonder if Rodger Sherman would try to pitch hiring them to Simmons or whoever just so he no longer has the burden of carrying all college sports content on his shoulders.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

it's a website aggressively uninterested in anything other than the NBA or the current zeitgeisty HBO show (at the moment that's Westworld/Succession). even its NFL coverage seems phoned-in compared to how they seem to cover This League with a proctoscope.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Hall, Kirk, Richard Johnson, Alex Kirshner, and Tyson Whitting are working on this:

https://gumroad.com/l/xwUYa

The Sinful Seven: Sci-Fi Western legends of the NCAA. A fiction / non-fiction story covering the early days of amateur college athletics. It'll be an eBook that hopefully comes out August 1.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Troy Queef posted:

it's a website aggressively uninterested in anything other than the NBA or the current zeitgeisty HBO show (at the moment that's Westworld/Succession). even its NFL coverage seems phoned-in compared to how they seem to cover This League with a proctoscope.

They definitely put the most effort into the NBA but they have five or six writers focused primarily on the NFL and have a dedicated NFL podcast putting out like three episodes a week during the season plus Russillo and Simmons doing multiple weekly shows about it. College sports is a complete afterthought outside of the drafts and NCAA tournament.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

They let go the Hornets beat guy, and I'll be a little surprised if they replace him with a full-time writer. Was nice while it lasted

I'm fortunate they kept Will Guillory for the Pelicans full-time writer. Has to be because of Zion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

Hall, Kirk, Richard Johnson, Alex Kirshner, and Tyson Whitting are working on this:

https://gumroad.com/l/xwUYa

The Sinful Seven: Sci-Fi Western legends of the NCAA. A fiction / non-fiction story covering the early days of amateur college athletics. It'll be an eBook that hopefully comes out August 1.

Oh this is extremely my poo poo

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I thought the athletic was still in the "who cares about money just build the brand" VC cash geyser phase

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ElwoodCuse posted:

I thought the athletic was still in the "who cares about money just build the brand" VC cash geyser phase

my wife's company partially relies on VC cash right now and given their conversations that I'm overhearing (she's COO) VCs are getting ANTSY AS gently caress right now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Samer/status/1268969323357507586?s=20

quote:

He was suspended? Did I read that right? Administrative leave? Did they misspell “given a promotion, raise, and awards banquet”? We need more cops encouraging people to run these assholes over. It’ll only take a couple of times for some loving dickhead who is stopping people from getting home from work to die until they realize the middle of the street isn’t the best spot to protest. As much as this type of thing used to happen, and still does, it’s shocking, and sad really, that more of these selfish, self-serving assholes haven’t been run over. Stand in the road all you want, but if I’m a guy who just worked 8-6 and just want to get home, put a frozen pizza in then oven, pop open some Miller Lites, and watch a hockey game, you better believeeeeee you’re winding up under my car if you don’t get out of the way.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

so the arizona athletic coverage is... college sports and baseball

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got the Auburn beat writer; I read other stuff too but that's why I subscribed so :shrug:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Rafe Bartholomew among The Athletic casualties.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I will be very sad if The Athletic dies. The thought of going back to Wings coverage before it is depressing. It was basically just pumping Holland's tires 24/7 with an occasional piece of free agents to target or something
Like obviously i would rather have quality coverage in my local paper but at least in Detroit that was not the case

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spoeank posted:

my wife's company partially relies on VC cash right now and given their conversations that I'm overhearing (she's COO) VCs are getting ANTSY AS gently caress right now

Every leading economic indicator / metric has been screaming for about two years that even before COVID-19, we were heading for an economic depression worse than 2008. I'm not surprised.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

Rafe Bartholomew among The Athletic casualties.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT

(and read Pacific Rims, damnit)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oh boy oh boy oh boy

:sickos:

(from this WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/individuals-roll-the-dice-on-stocks-as-veterans-fret-11591732784 )

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Him and Clay Travis.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The secret to becoming rich rich rich: doing the exact opposite of what Warren Buffett does

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m sure he was playing Money for Nothing as part of the bit but it would be really funny if he was just super into Love Over Gold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m sure he was playing Money for Nothing as part of the bit but it would be really funny if he was just super into Love Over Gold.

An out of touch dope being into 80s dad rock seems about right

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hey Mark Knopfler wails

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nice, easy countdown to the "Portnoy pleads no contest to tax evasion" headline.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Airline stocks just dropped 11-16% today. Portnoy just lost everything he made and more.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Airline stocks just dropped 11-16% today. Portnoy just lost everything he made and more.

it's a complete bloodbath today

all of a sudden they realized the virus is not going away

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The X-man cometh posted:

he's livestreaming a loving meltdown right now and might drop an N bomb because he's getting super pissed at protestors

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spoeank posted:

he's livestreaming a loving meltdown right now and might drop an N bomb because he's getting super pissed at protestors

There's a hard R in Barstool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait he is surprised airlines are down? They are one of the industry’s hardest hit by this. We have known this for months

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh god I hope he loses all his money.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh god I hope he loses all his money.

It's 2020, he's falling up somehow.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
You all realize he may have money tied in but I’m sure he’s massively liquid cash rich. I really find that with the rise of this supposed casual trader with apps like Robin Hood and dorks like Travis acting like their market pros, it’s just a trendy bubble they can get referral money from. Or at least that’s my view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait he is surprised airlines are down? They are one of the industry’s hardest hit by this. We have known this for months

yeah man you buy low duh