Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

300 was/is insanely ground breaking. There really wasn't anything like it before.

Then the sequel showed you what happens when you take the director away but still try to emulate their style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but also it has Eva Green so who's to say if it's good or bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The sequel is amazing. The Greek's navy's secret weapon just being a horse owns

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

What's so bad about it?
We needed an origin story movie for each of the 300 Spartans so we can empathise with them more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also it's really funny how in 300 it's pretty obvious that Xerxes is not actually a ten foot tall golden mangod and that's just some bullshit the one guy made up, but in 302 they're like "no he totally is, he swam in a magic pool and everything"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

300 was/is insanely ground breaking. There really wasn't anything like it before.

Then the sequel showed you what happens when you take the director away but still try to emulate their style.

302 obviously isn't as good, but the central joke is that it shifts focus onto these "blue state" Athenians who are (only) subtly different from the other guys. It's purposefully less bombastic, because they're satirizing decorum-happy Biden types: you have the same bizarre distortion, but used to represent diplomatic meetings and such.

In that sense, 302 is much closer to Starship Troopers' satire of liberals at war than even 300 was.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My take on Snyder's movies is that they don't really appeal to me, but I can tell that he's at least going for something. I connect with parts of them but never the whole thing. Man of Steel might be my favorite.

I think what keeps them from connecting with me is pacing. I'm too film illiterate to explain why, but it always seems like everything is either too long or too short from scene to scene so I'm always struggling to engage with what's going on. Like I recognize there's good poo poo in there but it just feels disjointed or sporadic or something. I dunno.

By contrast watching Justice League I basically just felt curious about if it could sustain the bad impression its opening scene made for the entire movie. It got worse.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So imagine this next statement is in 10,000-point flaming red font with a bunch of cool skeletons and rattlesnakes crawling over it:

gently caress 300 AND ITS FAKE COOL SPARTANS.

Sparta was actually a nightmarish abomination barely worth a gently caress on the battlefield and utterly worthless and without a single redeeming feature off it.

Here's a 7-parter on what poo poo garbage Sparta was and is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

JonathonSpectre posted:

So imagine this next statement is in 10,000-point flaming red font with a bunch of cool skeletons and rattlesnakes crawling over it:

Sparta was actually a nightmarish abomination barely worth a gently caress on the battlefield and utterly worthless and without a single redeeming feature off it.

Historical inaccuracy? In MY sword and sandal movies?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I saw 300 with a former friend of mine who's now hardcore Trumpian and he seemed legitimately conflicted over how cool the action was and yet how gay it was so I think that made me like it more than I normally would have.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next thing you're going to tell me Abraham Lincoln was not a vampire hunter

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The idea that the Southern aristocracy wasn't a bunch of vampires living off the life blood of black slaves is Lost Cause bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only know 300 2 has a sex fight

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JonathonSpectre posted:

No poo poo?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

lmao no poo poo.

The movie literally opens with Spartans murdering babies and forcing kids to fight rabid wolves. Mayyybe there's a point there about how utterly nuts the spartans are?

Unless you think it's an endorsement of eugenics, in which case :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I say this literally every time but the movie opens with a pile of dead baby skulls while some dude drones on about honor and glory and then shows kids beating the poo poo out of each other and then the "cool" part kicks in, and then the movie ends with "and you've been listening to a Spartan bullshitting you" and if you still think they're cool after that that's kinda on you. Now here comes the part where you say "well not me, I was able to pick up on all that, but 300 is dealing in Dangerous Ideas that the average person can't handle" and it's like, the average person watched the movie, enjoyed the action, and never thought about it again. Only tubby right-wing chuds ever brought it up again and let's face it - our society does not lack in fascist ephemera for those types to grab onto, if it wasn't 300 they would have moved the clock back a decade or two and used Starship Troopers or some Rambo knock-off. Can just see some fat fuckin' neckbeard in an undersized tactical vest and spray-painted black bike helmet calling minorities "bugs" instead of "cucks".

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also re: Dawn of the Dead, zombies aren't even frickin real! Wow Zack Snyder really blew it there.

EDIT: That blog post of course links to a Dan Olsen video on 300 and I just, have never seen him comment on movies in a way that made sense to me. He seems to always spend 95% of the videos listing wikipedia entries on some philosophical subject and then occasionally cutting to the movie and saying "so anyway the movie obviously takes [stance] on that subject, moving on..."

Martman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 5, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
All that being said, the article JonathonSpectre linked to is legit pretty great. It's not really relevant, but if anyone is curious about the many, many failings of real Sparta it is a fascinating read.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He ends his video making the grand point that if every movie were 300 that would be really hosed up. Why would someone approach art this way??

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

My take on Snyder's movies is that they don't really appeal to me, but I can tell that he's at least going for something. I connect with parts of them but never the whole thing. Man of Steel might be my favorite.

I think what keeps them from connecting with me is pacing. I'm too film illiterate to explain why, but it always seems like everything is either too long or too short from scene to scene so I'm always struggling to engage with what's going on. Like I recognize there's good poo poo in there but it just feels disjointed or sporadic or something. I dunno.

I feel the same way. I like a lot of what he does, action and visuals are great but some of his movies don't seem to move naturally from scene to scene. I felt this strongly in man of steel where I liked individual scenes a lot but as a flow it didn't really gel well, feeling a bit jarring overall.

the trailers were some of the best trailers I've ever seen, however.

I do have an interest in re-watching man of steel and bvs to see how I view them now, after it's been awhile (maybe also in anticipation of this director's cut thing).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I legitimately wasn't a Snyder fan until the lead up to BvS, frankly I hadn't really even connected him to his oeuvre until that point. I maybe knew that like, Watchmen was made by the 300 guy but at that point in my life I didn't really consider the overall career of whatever director when going to see a movie, outside of maybe a select few. I had mixed reactions to his previous movies, mostly enjoyed them when I watched them but never really saw the need to revisit them (and I legit hated Watchmen for admittedly dumb fanboy reasons). Which honestly I maybe should because both MoS and BvS took more than one viewing to grow on me.

I also definitely understand only getting "buff cool Spartans kicking rear end" as your main take away from 300, although I also get why people ITT would be wary of having the same argument about it over and over, particularly when it leads people to make certain inferences about the politics of Snyder and his fans. The article at least seems interesting and I will give it a read.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh yeah we know. Even if you only have a basic level of knowledge of Sparta's history, it just makes 300 that much funnier.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Martman posted:

He ends his video making the grand point that if every movie were 300 that would be really hosed up. Why would someone approach art this way??

Media critic Immanuel Kant

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sean10mm posted:

Well, take the minor subplot in BVS where LexCorp is testing anti-Superman bullets for sale to various world powers. That probably takes up less than twenty minutes of screen-time - but it conveys more in that timespan, narratively, than the entirety of Ironman 3. Like, think of just how much is conveyed about the relationships between this African Warlord, Lexcorp, the CIA, the Daily Planet, Superman, etc.

Moreover, it’s a more sophisticated narrative: there’s no real conspiracy by Lexcorp. The CIA knows exactly what Lex is doing, but just stands back - and even lets Lexcorp mercs execute one of their agents - because they’re ideologically aligned w/r/t ‘The Superman Question’ and the expendability of black foreigners. They aren’t in cahoots at all, but raising a finger against Lexcorp might endanger some mutually-beneficial defence contracts.

(Contrast with Ironman 3, where the fuckin’ US Vice President is directly bribed by the villain, gets caught, and that’s it. Law and order are restored.)

So, basically, Snyder tends to make these three-hour epics that are simultaneously extremely efficient. There’s no filler - which means everything is fairly important, and there’s a lot to take in. Many people consequently just check out and dismiss the films as incomprehensible, as we’ve seen.

Martman posted:

That would own though; imagine, like, Kramer Vs. Kramer in that style.

Hotel For Dogs in that style.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There really aren't a lot of movies that wouldn't be improved by more naked, buff men, all oiled up, speed ramping around and yelling

I've said it for a while but the biggest problem with comic book movies is that shirts aren't constantly being popped off in this way. Sure we have a scene of Cavil here, Affleck there, Evans those couple times, but that's bullshit.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
300’s real crime was giving Gerard Butler a career

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He's pretty good in Gamer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

300’s real crime was giving Gerard Butler a career

Yeah, but it also propped up Michael Fassbender.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, take the minor subplot in BVS where LexCorp is testing anti-Superman bullets for sale to various world powers.
:tviv: I can't believe I never made that connection. I just figured they were covertly testing new weapons systems but it makes total sense. They talk about the special compound that the bullets are composed of and the fact that they knew Superman would show up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Apollo posted:

:tviv: I can't believe I never made that connection. I just figured they were covertly testing new weapons systems but it makes total sense. They talk about the special compound that the bullets are composed of and the fact that they knew Superman would show up.

It’s one of those things that a conventional blockbuster would just directly state to the audience (as with Lex’s plan to create his own Avengers).

The alien-metal bullets and bomb casing are part of Lex’s research into Krypyonite weaponry. He’s not just doing it to be a dick, but because it’s lucrative. There’s a demand for anti-Superman weaponry, and he anticipates a demand for general anti-metahuman weaponry as his Brainiac LexOS datamining software begins forcing all these aquamen and wonder women into the open. Those who are easily turned can then be armed and deployed against the rest.

(One of the best subtle jokes is that - against Winter Soldier’s laughable assertion that Tony Stark and Dr. Strange pose a threat to the smooth functioning of the capitalist system - Lex’s algorithmically-generated psychological profiles show that Flash and Aquaman will be very easy to recruit as corporate mascots.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

(One of the best subtle jokes is that - against Winter Soldier’s laughable assertion that Tony Stark and Dr. Strange pose a threat to the smooth functioning of the capitalist system - Lex’s algorithmically-generated psychological profiles show that Flash and Aquaman will be very easy to recruit as corporate mascots.)

"Dozens" killed.

(Can I see a screenshot of this psych profile?)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

[...] Winter Soldier’s laughable assertion that Tony Stark and Dr. Strange pose a threat to the smooth functioning of the capitalist system [...]

Objection, firstly because at the time Winter Soldier came out that was nothing more than a reference for fans to go lol at, and secondly I want to see you type the word "Dormammu". Preferably in an elaboration on how Strange's brokering a deal with Dormammu was about him upholding the capitalist system. I mean, it's been taken for granted that Doctor Strange - The Movie is just about Iron Man in a cape, but I have never seen that reading really been elaborated on beyond "main character starts a jerk rich guy and ends a slightly less jerky rich guy with superpowers" and I would be interested in something more than that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/protest-backlash-failings-a-superhero-culture-1297024?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

quote:

It's interesting that the stories that do push against the status quo, that aren’t interested in a love affair with cops or government, are the ones that prove to be the most controversial. One of the central reasons Zack Snyder’s Superman impacts me, and the many people of color who are fans of that depiction who I’ve encountered over the years, is because the Superman of Man of Steel (2013) and Batman v Superman (2016), even though coded as white, is an outsider fighting against corruption in a nation that fears him and criticizes his every move and every effort to preserve his own life, and those of others. And only when he’s dead is his impact felt.

HBO’s Watchmen, created by Damon Lindelof, presents an even more insightful depiction of how superhero stories matter in terms of racial justice, with the character of The Hooded Justice aka Will Reeves (Jovan Adepo/Louis Gossett Jr.). Reeves, a survivor of the 1921 Tulsa Race Riots, becomes one of the first black cops in New York City and his discovery that the cops are secretly part of the KKK leads to his lynching and rebirth as a superhero, one who had to hide his race beneath his costume, because, once again, black offensive action is something to fear and beat down. But as Reeves tells his granddaughter, Angela (Regina King), who still fights the same fight against cops deeply imbedded in the KKK, “You can’t heal under a mask…Wounds need air.”

Black Americans can’t breathe. We’ve been choking and wounded for a long time, and we need air. America is in the midst of a true “masks off” moment in which people are truly revealing themselves, as either allies or not, as part of the movement or not, and as heroes or villains. But the way in which we think of heroism and villainy has to change. Heroes fight for the oppressed. Police and politicians are not oppressed, and they cannot stand against protestors, attack them, fire tear gas and rubber bullets at them and be seen as heroes, not anymore.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That’s interesting because one of the criticisms of MoS and BvS I often see is that the person didn’t like how many people feared Superman and saw him as an outsider. They felt that Superman should have been embraced and loved by everyone as the ideal human.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

That’s interesting because one of the criticisms of MoS and BvS I often see is that the person didn’t like how many people feared Superman and saw him as an outsider. They felt that Superman should have been embraced and loved by everyone as the ideal human.

Zack Snyder posted:

Wake the gently caress up! [...] You're living in a dreamworld.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

teagone posted:

Yeah, but it also propped up Michael Fassbender.
Not trying to do this to be snarky or get internet points, but this sadly seems to be not a good thing. He seems to be an abusive shithead and I don't think he's ever really addressed it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/michael-fassbender-abuse-allegations-sunawin-leasi-andrews-1201927946/

E: Oh I think I completely misread your post, thought you were saying it propping him up was a point in its defense. Carry on.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Martman posted:

Not trying to do this to be snarky or get internet points, but this sadly seems to be not a good thing. He seems to be an abusive shithead and I don't think he's ever really addressed it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/michael-fassbender-abuse-allegations-sunawin-leasi-andrews-1201927946/

E: Oh I think I completely misread your post, thought you were saying it propping him up was a point in its defense. Carry on.

Jesus Christ, that poor girl

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

(Can I see a screenshot of this psych profile?)

Unfortunately(?), you don’t get a text dump of the research itself. It’s just implicit in how Lex manipulates the titular characters - and how his treatment of Wayne contrasts with his treatment of Clark. Lex considers Batman a useful idiot, given that he’s ultimately just a rival businessman, while Superman needs to be obliterated. It’s because he can’t figure out a way for Superman to ‘sell out’.

The logic is that (for example) Wonder Woman is against patriarchy and imperialism - which is good, of course - but those causes are easily appropriated. There’s nothing inherently anticapitalist in being against patriarchy, unless you’re willing to take it to a logical extreme.

As usual, Snyder is intrigued by the concept of a Justice League but is also conscious of how the concept of Justice is fundamentally incompatible with their ties to Wayne Industries.

Grendels Dad posted:

I would be interested in something more than that.

It’s not really too complicated; Strange is yet another story about using the godlike power to preserve status quo from corruption by outside forces. This is repeated in his subsequent appearances.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Martman posted:

I actually did mean it as a point of defense, but now I regret it after reading that article. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat this youtuber just DESTROYED Avengers: Endgame's plot holes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhVUuqQ8PaA

(as silly as it is I think this is a pretty accurate takedown of a lot of Youtube movie criticism)