Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah, with a milling machine you could perhaps mill it straight. Or if you are good with a file. But who knows if there are other issues to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

more falafel please posted:

This is the thing, the reviews I read of the new sweetheart and Bailey line suggested that they were Pretty Good for mid/entry level, respectively. This is like, egregiously bad though, right? I'm not making up that this is a pile of iron that's literally unusable unless you're willing to file cast iron down to appropriate tolerances?

Yeah it's bad and you should get your money back. Modern Stanley mostly makes 'tool-shaped objects' these days, and apparently their QC has really gotten bad. You can probably find an old one on ebay for relatively cheap. If you want to spend some real money the veritas one is awesome and the Lie-Nielsen is nice too, but I do prefer the veritas.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't done diddly squat with that Chinese elm slab in months, but I did finally do some scribbling in Inkscape to try to come up with a leg form I liked.

The green lines are the proposed shape: four legs in an X shape, connected to a central "pillar" that slots into the underside of the slab. The rectangles with white outlines are what that shape would be cut out of (probably built up out of two 4/4 boards each). The turquoise line is 24" below the top of the slab.

What's bugging me is figuring out how to do the joinery connecting the central pillar to the four legs. The legs are splayed at an angle, with different angles for the left side than for the right side. Meanwhile the central pillar's grain runs straight up and down. Does that angle mean that just gluing them is out of the question? It's not a particularly sharp angle, but it still feels like it'd be an end grain to long grain glue-up, which isn't exactly great. Very roughly I'm talking about a setup like this, looking top-down:

Bolts would probably work well, at the cost of being visible. I guess I could hide the bolt heads / nuts with removable panels, but I feel like that would screw with the lines of the piece. Captive nuts in the legs, which are used by long bolts that go up through the bottom of the pillar, might be a possibility, but I'm not sure how I'd line things up so each leg fits into the pillar with enough overlap for a bolt without interfering with any of the other legs.

As for the actual shaping, I figure that I'll get the thing made solid out of rectangular boards, then mark the shape I want, rough it in with the bandsaw, and then use a Shinto rasp to round things off and get the shape right. Then a fuckton of sanding.

I would probably look at doing slip tenons for max gluing, but that may require your central column to be beefed up a bit. Alternatively, this construction looks similar to a a shaker candlestand base, which uses sliding dovetails and a spider for strength. You could probably skip the complexity of the dovetails for another method, then beef it up with a spider.

Here's some commercial spiders https://www.horton-brasses.com/tablespiders.asp you may have to make your own as a commercial one may not suit the angles you have.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dowels instead of bolts?

...yeah, I guess that would work. I normally do mortise&tenon instead of dowels, but M&T doesn't work here because of the angles involved. Floating biscuits would have involved cutting across the grain on one of the pieces being joined, probably the leg, plus alignment would be a nightmare. Dowels aren't really any better grain-wise, but they do at least open the possibility of easy alignment: clamp everything together, drill through them, insert dowels, then put grain-matched plugs into the holes.

I wonder how viable a giant sliding dovetail would be? It seems like cutting it properly would be a nightmare due to the compound angle...I guess the other problem is that it'd have to go across the grain on the center pillar, so that portion of the joint could snap off easily. Drat.

EDIT: whoops, this slipped in while I was posting.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I would probably look at doing slip tenons for max gluing, but that may require your central column to be beefed up a bit. Alternatively, this construction looks similar to a a shaker candlestand base, which uses sliding dovetails and a spider for strength. You could probably skip the complexity of the dovetails for another method, then beef it up with a spider.

Here's some commercial spiders https://www.horton-brasses.com/tablespiders.asp you may have to make your own as a commercial one may not suit the angles you have.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll look into that. Looks like the spider is basically a metal strap that connects the legs to the column. Makes sense, and it could be recessed into the underside to be completely invisible unless you turn the table upside-down.

Regarding sliding dovetails, I was imagining the wrong kind of setup, clearly. I had the dovetails going across the face of the column, instead of being vertical. Vertical makes a ton more sense.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 2, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The amount of hard physical labour that he does on his own is amazing.
I've done manual labour before, but nothing on that scale.

https://northmen.com/en/about-us/wooden-house-project
Physical work chat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any free or cheap programs it there that helps you draw out woodworking plans?

The older free version of Sketchup is great

Sketchup Make 2017 on this list:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/downloading-older-versions

https://www.filehorse.com/download-sketchup-make-64/old-versions/

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any free or cheap programs it there that helps you draw out woodworking plans?

I used fusion 360 for a room I'm building

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Seattle area goons, where do you get your wood? I’m looking for someplace that isn’t a big box store. I tried searching the thread, but couldn’t find what I thought I saw.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Jhet posted:

Seattle area goons, where do you get your wood? I’m looking for someplace that isn’t a big box store. I tried searching the thread, but couldn’t find what I thought I saw.

Crosscut hardwoods down in The Industrial District is fantastic, but last I checked they are only open during the week. There is Edensaw over in Port Townsend and Tacoma I think, but I’ve never visited them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jhet posted:

From the news it seems like you can wait and get some plywood off the front of a lot of buildings

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Made some sawhorses today, I feel pretty accomplished

e: for a blurry picture

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 3, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Falco posted:

Crosscut hardwoods down in The Industrial District is fantastic, but last I checked they are only open during the week. There is Edensaw over in Port Townsend and Tacoma I think, but I’ve never visited them.

That’s what I needed. Crosscut should do the trick. It’s easier for me to find time during the week anyway. Tacoma would be a bit of a drive.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

My mom retired this last week and has a thing for Sun's so I tried my hand at carving. It's Paduk and Leopardwoood. I wish I had time to have recessed the hinges but she loved it.

The Spookmaster fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 3, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Need some advice on a door.

I built a woodshed a while back that also serves as a sort of privacy fence for a hot tub behind it. Thus the door also needs to provide some privacy.

That's all pressure treated wood. I built a door out of the pressure treated 2x4 frame you see there and had runs of PT 1x6 spaced apart nailed to each side with a gap inbetween them that was closed on the opposide side of the 2x4. This worked but failed rapidly for 2 reasons.

1. I didn't account for the weight and add proper joinery and the whole door promptly began to sag once hung.
2. The door itself is heavy as gently caress, something near 100lbs and just unnecessary.

So. I want to build another door, it just needs to provide privacy and be wide enough to latch to a post not yet installed on the opposite side of the walkway between the woodshed and the house. It's going to be painted, so it doesn't need to be the heavier PT wood.

What materials would you suggest / design to use here? I have 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ply (all interior grade) and I have non-PT 2x4s. The door can sit well off the ground and the rough dimensions are 6' tall and about 30" wide.

Should I just build a non PT 2x4 frame like above with better joinery / reinforcements and then tack on some 1/4 ply to one side and call it a day? It's hidden at the back of the house and will be painted to match the woodshed so I'm not looking for anything to be incredibly beautiful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
1/4" ply ought to work, yeah, but it'll need to be painted or otherwise sealed, unless it's pressure-treated. You could also buy a 4'x8' panel of siding, which is similar but maybe aesthetically a little nicer.

The other thing you should do is put diagonal bracing on that door frame, going from the points closest to the hinges on the left, to the center, on the right. Sagging wants to pull the door down and puts uneven load on the hinges. At the moment the only thing that resists that is whatever fasteners you used to connect the crosspieces to the right vertical piece; I'm pretty sure if I grabbed that vertical piece and pulled I could rack the frame with maybe 20-40 pounds of force. The diagonal braces will counteract sagging by resisting attempts to turn the door into a parallelogram. In other words: triangles are strong, rectangles aren't.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
1/4" ply is pretty easy for some animals to get through..

The Spookmaster posted:

My mom retired this last week and has a thing for Sun's so I tried my hand at carving. It's Paduk and Leopardwoood. I wish I had time to have recessed the hinges but she loved it.

Beautiful. Did you gouge the top to get that recess? I love the swooping curve down on the top that shows where it hits the sides

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Yeah, I thank god that I had a copy of the stand alone version rather than the horrible web "modern" free version.
(I also run AutoCad and Chief Architect, but old sketchup is useful)

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

1/4" ply is pretty easy for some animals to get through..

Beautiful. Did you gouge the top to get that recess? I love the swooping curve down on the top that shows where it hits the sides

Yea I did the relief carving first and then used my awful harbor freight block plane to arch the top. Not pictured is the absurd amount of sanding to clean everything up.

I kind of pulled the idea from this Wood Whisperer video. Except the front and back are half lapped around the bottom instead of it being one solid piece.

Also I just came across this on my local Craigslist.

I think it's a Delta 28-276 but has a riser block ($80-$100) and what looks like the Kreg Fence and Kreg Miter Gauge

He said he'd take $300 for it... Did I miss the part where the lower door opens each time you run it and punches you in the dick?

The Spookmaster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 4, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, I thank god that I had a copy of the stand alone version rather than the horrible web "modern" free version.
(I also run AutoCad and Chief Architect, but old sketchup is useful)

Related question: what's the best resource to teach oneself SketchUp? Assume zero CAD experience (because I have none).

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

The Spookmaster posted:

Yea I did the relief carving first and then used my awful harbor freight block plane to arch the top. Not pictured is the absurd amount of sanding to clean everything up.

I kind of pulled the idea from this Wood Whisperer video. Except the front and back are half lapped around the bottom instead of it being one solid piece.

I think it's a Delta 28-276 but has a riser block ($80-$100) and what looks like the Kreg Fence and Kreg Miter Gauge

He said he'd take $300 for it... Did I miss the part where the lower door opens each time you run it and punches you in the dick?

Looks to clean, and that backdrop for the photos? It's clearly a trap. I've bought a lot of those in the $100-200 range but always the older models and never anywhere near that clean. Does he have blades for it? Are the tires flat because he never turned it on and left it tensioned?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

The Spookmaster posted:

Did I miss the part where the lower door opens each time you run it and punches you in the dick?

From the Deltas I have used that is pretty much guaranteed. All 3 of them had to have the lower doors taped shut.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Spookmaster posted:

Lovely work. That Delta Dickpuncher is a rare series. I think they have an accessory bungee restraint for it for an extra $199.

JEEVES420 posted:

From the Deltas I have used that is pretty much guaranteed. All 3 of them had to have the lower doors taped shut.

Mine never has, but it's a real oldie, like Delta Milwaukee and has 2 screw knobs for each shroud. No way it works itself off.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Time to redo a few sections of my fence. Luckily the fence poles are metal so the hard part is done, just have to replace rails and pickets. What kind of wood should I go with?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Bob Mundon posted:

Time to redo a few sections of my fence. Luckily the fence poles are metal so the hard part is done, just have to replace rails and pickets. What kind of wood should I go with?

Mahogany

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

Do you have more than 2 choices where you live? Its either the red (redwood/cedar) or the white(SPF) :v:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

Eastern redcedar/closet cedar is pretty rot resistant (at least the heartwood. Unfortunately there are squally streaks of sapwood in the heartwood) and also pretty cheap usually. Western redcedar may be cheaper from a lumberyard, depending on your area. I think you are in Texas so there is probably some good ole boy with a portable sawmill cutting eastern redcedar/ juniper like crazy.

Otherwise PT pine or WRC or whatever tropical hardwood you feel like paying for.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

The Spookmaster posted:

drat, I would LOVE to have a bandsaw :(

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

Related question: what's the best resource to teach oneself SketchUp? Assume zero CAD experience (because I have none).

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjSE28T3u78
She's easy on the eyes to boot. (And also has a lot of introductory woodworking videos)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 4, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Just got an email from Sketchup, they are going 100% SaaS so download and backup your old classic installers.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I think they may already be there. When the Mere Mortals guy ran his tutorial I tried but when I opened the program it asked for a license. I got distracted so I never checked if there was a workaround.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

savesthedayrocks posted:

I think they may already be there. When the Mere Mortals guy ran his tutorial I tried but when I opened the program it asked for a license. I got distracted so I never checked if there was a workaround.

Are you running 2017 Make? What specifically are you seeing on screen?
My splash screen shows the "Sketchup isn't getting any younger" blurb with "Free Pro Trial" and "Try Sketchup Free" buttons, but down in the lower right is "Start Using Sketchup", which is what I launch with.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah, totally missed the button on the bottom right. I just saw the “14 days left” and closed the laptop.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

I used this. Takes about an hour or two to go through all the lessons, and it's a tad out of date with the latest SketchUp software, but it's been good enough for me. https://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The license on my .3mm 4H mechanical pencil, t-square and scale has never expired :colbert:

But man I really need to get back on my 'learn CAD' project because making changes sucks when you draft by hand and it's so easy in CAD

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The license on my .3mm 4H mechanical pencil, t-square and scale has never expired :colbert:

But man I really need to get back on my 'learn CAD' project because making changes sucks when you draft by hand and it's so easy in CAD

I started using tracing paper because of this.

I like CAD but I'm faster at putting ideas on paper.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

I started using tracing paper because of this.

I like CAD but I'm faster at putting ideas on paper.

With just a little work it will be the complete opposite.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol tracing paper, lol rulers

Just scrawl poo poo in semi-legible pencil and then start working IMO

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

lol tracing paper, lol rulers

Just scrawl poo poo in semi-legible pencil and then start working IMO

Oh I have pads and pads of things like that, but when I want to see how the scale of something will work without needing to be mm accurate then I cba busting out fusion360

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just called my local lumber yard to ask about plywood prices, and they said they had 3/4 Baltic Birch in 5x5 for about $60. Is that a decent price? Actually I can’t remember now if he said 49 or 59.

For comparison the best sheet of plywood i can get at HD is about $55 for 4x8 with a thin veneer (not the same as Baltic)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Elysium posted:

I just called my local lumber yard to ask about plywood prices, and they said they had 3/4 Baltic Birch in 5x5 for about $60. Is that a decent price?
It’s decent, especially for retail. I got quoted $55.26 for a 4x8 at my lumber yard a few days ago and they are wholesale only. That’s about $1.70/sq ft which would make a 5x5 $43 wholesale. Baltic Birch has gone up a lot recently.