Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

hatelull posted:

You guys got gear recommendations for a DPS centric AR/Rifle build? I'm cool with an LMG instead of a rifle, but I just haven't found much luck finding any decent weapons.

Right now I'm loving around with a FAMAS and a Socom M1A and it's just ... OK. I seem to get my poo poo pushed in regularly on heroic. I can put ammo into targets no problem, they just don't seem to be dropping fast enough to make any difference. Last night I was with a random group trying to do the Zoo on Challenging. I think this was the raided, or post game version because it was Black Tusk with a fuckton of doggos and that godawful Mortar in one of the early areas that has ridiculously precise aim. Jesus that was rough. I had to bail on it around the Gamma Team thanks to real world responsibilities. Still regret that /quit this morning.

Gear wise, I'm playing around with 3 providence, 2 fenris, and a ceska. I'd love to find some Fox's Prayer kneepads and some Contractor's gloves, but with my current damage output soloing the upper levels to farm that stuff is herculean to the point of impossible. Talent wise, I'm using composure and the one that pops your armor back up when low with a 90s cooldown? On the guns, boomerang (which I regret because my crit chance is around 39% so I might switch it back to Lucky Shot) and Optimist (which seems ok, save for the small rear end magazine).

So ... help me increase my damage output?

I'll just link my previous post on this subject https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3915399&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post505341445

The main takeaway is that you'll have to give up Unbreakable for a damage talent on your chest piece. Even post-buff, ARs are in the situation where they have pretty high burst DPS, but it's not quite going to be enough without some sort of damage talent. LMGs and the M1A Classic can get away without it because LMGs have good sustained DPS and the M1AC is just laughably broken.

Shumagorath posted:

What happened to Eagle Bearer? Can't say I'm disappointed if it got nerfed since when it was released it was all I ever saw in the Dark Zone.

To add to what Psion said, when the Eagle Bearer was released it had like the highest per shot damage and shot faster than the AK, and the old version of Tenacity came with a huge damage buff (like 30%) which was triggered off of a headshot kill.

The result was that it was a really loving good gun that absolutely dominated every aspect of the game and you could make any mishmash of gear work as long as it was paired with the Eagle Bearer.

Eventually they tuned down the base damage and tuned up the damage bonus from Tenacity, but the gun was still very strong.

What we've ended up with in post-WONY is a pretty decent gun with a good (not great) mix of stats and the current version of Tenacity is of questionable utility. All Tenacity does now is reduce incoming damage for 10 seconds, and then you take full damage after. You can reduce the debuff by getting kills while the talent is active, but given that the gun has no damage boosting talent, it's hard to pull off on higher difficulty.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hatelull posted:

You guys got gear recommendations for a DPS centric AR/Rifle build? I'm cool with an LMG instead of a rifle, but I just haven't found much luck finding any decent weapons.

Right now I'm loving around with a FAMAS and a Socom M1A and it's just ... OK. I seem to get my poo poo pushed in regularly on heroic. I can put ammo into targets no problem, they just don't seem to be dropping fast enough to make any difference. Last night I was with a random group trying to do the Zoo on Challenging. I think this was the raided, or post game version because it was Black Tusk with a fuckton of doggos and that godawful Mortar in one of the early areas that has ridiculously precise aim. Jesus that was rough. I had to bail on it around the Gamma Team thanks to real world responsibilities. Still regret that /quit this morning.

Gear wise, I'm playing around with 3 providence, 2 fenris, and a ceska. I'd love to find some Fox's Prayer kneepads and some Contractor's gloves, but with my current damage output soloing the upper levels to farm that stuff is herculean to the point of impossible. Talent wise, I'm using composure and the one that pops your armor back up when low with a 90s cooldown? On the guns, boomerang (which I regret because my crit chance is around 39% so I might switch it back to Lucky Shot) and Optimist (which seems ok, save for the small rear end magazine).

So ... help me increase my damage output?

Your weapon selection would probably be the first thing to change. Even if the current name of the game is burst fire I don't think the high RPM assault rifles do enough, particularly the FAMAS itself. Personally I very much prefer the G36/416/Mk16/ACR families. Optimist on an AR is fine though if you find a better one with Strained then 40% critical chance will make that work as well. Both talents do pretty much the same thing.

As for the Socom M1A, Rifles in general are not in a great spot right now between enemy health and their damage. However the exception is the Classic M1A which does somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1.5-2 times as much damage per shot as any of the other rifles. The Mk17 doesn't do nearly as much as the Classic M1A but it still does more than the other Rifles and comes with no downsides compared to them.*** Boomerang works great once you get near the critical chance cap but yeah at 40% its probably not as good.

One thing some people overlook is the minor stat roll on weapons. Ideally you want this to be Out of Cover Damage. Damage to Armor is the second choice. In any case Out of Cover Damage is actually quite important for doing more damage. I can accept critical chance on specific builds but otherwise one of the other two should always be there if given the choice.

***Next patch will be reducing both the Classic M1A and Mk17's damage. All other Rifles (except the MDR for some reason???) will be getting a damage boost. In fact most weapons in all classes will be getting a damage boost so this advice may change but I still think most of the better weapons now will remain the better weapons.

The "easiest" thing to change on your armor would be switching one of the Fenris pieces for one Overlord piece if you're using Rifles. It may not be a Fox's Prayer but its still more Rifle damage.

Contractor's gloves, if you find them, with the right minor attributes is also more valuable than 10% AR damage or 10% rifle damage.

Coyote's Mask from the season track or from killing Jupiter in the manhunt is basically the best gun mask in the game right now if you are focused on critical hits. It combines quite well with Boomerang on Rifles because you're going to be shooting from further away so you're going to get at least a 10% critical chance bonus (25% if you're even further away).

As for minor attributes you should be focused on critical chance and critical damage as much as possible on a gun build but I think armor regeneration does have a pretty good place in PVE. It will not save you while you're getting shot but with enough of it (3 or 4 attributes) you can stay in cover for a few seconds and have enough armor again to do stuff like run to new cover, kill a guy who's almost dead, briefly survive a flank. Staying alive for longer is its own kind of DPS increase. That said if you have Unbreakable armor regen is less necessary and can be switched for even more critical chance and damage.

Try to have your mod slots (mask, chest, backpack) on a brand with an Offensive slot. Getting 4-6% critical chance times 3 or 9-12% more critical damage times 3 (or something in between) is way more important to you than defensive or utility/skill bonuses.

Unbreakable is good, not going to tell you not to use it because of what I just said above about armor regen but if you do want to do more damage with a gun build then the more conventional choices for a chest talent are either Obliterate (up to 15% damage if you land enough critical hits in the timer) or Overwatch (12% increase after 10 seconds as long as you stay in cover or do a cover-to-cover move). Glass Cannon is a pretty big damage increase but you will take way more damage and requires a change in how you play. Focus is also a big damage increase but you will have to be aiming down a scope to get the bonus so you tend to get tunnel vision.

I think Composure is the best "conventional" choice on the backpack but if you want the "best" backpack damage talent then you need Vigilance. Only having a 25% increase when you haven't taken damage for 4 seconds sounds like it won't happen a lot but it will actually be turned on more than you would think. Concussion, Unstoppable Force, and Versatile all work too but require more effort to build up to their potential. It's easier to just enter cover (Composure) or not get shot (Vigilance).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Coyote's Mask from the season track or from killing Jupiter in the manhunt is basically the best gun mask in the game right now if you are focused on critical hits. It combines quite well with Boomerang on Rifles because you're going to be shooting from further away so you're going to get at least a 10% critical chance bonus (25% if you're even further away).

I've killed Jupiter (I got the sticky EMP bomb skill) but I didn't get the mask? Does it drop every time? Granted, it wasn't in my game. I had answered the call and joined a group that was steam rolling the man hunt.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Since I love pain... is solo-DZ worth doing and has the meta game become less pathological than Health + AR spam? That Eagle Bearer comment should tell you how long ago I last played.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shumagorath posted:

Since I love pain... is solo-DZ worth doing and has the meta game become less pathological than Health + AR spam? That Eagle Bearer comment should tell you how long ago I last played.

right now no. I'm right there with you, as I solo DZed a lot but TU9 DZ does not impress and the loot just isn't there so I haven't in quite a while. Good for SHD levels, though.

I very much hope they make a NYC DZ 2.0 and make it one, larger DZ.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hatelull posted:

I've killed Jupiter (I got the sticky EMP bomb skill) but I didn't get the mask? Does it drop every time? Granted, it wasn't in my game. I had answered the call and joined a group that was steam rolling the man hunt.

Yeah it’s likely a reward for personally finishing the manhunt.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

hatelull posted:

It's a manhunt reward. Jupiter (and each of the other targets) will drop a seasonal named item, and Jupiter herself always drops a Coyote's mask, but only if your personal manhunt progress is active for those targets. So if you just tag along for someone's else's manhunt but you also don't have those targets active, you won't get any of the special rewards.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's a manhunt reward. Jupiter (and each of the other targets) will drop a seasonal named item, and Jupiter herself always drops a Coyote's mask, but only if your personal manhunt progress is active for those targets. So if you just tag along for someone's else's manhunt but you also don't have those targets active, you won't get any of the special rewards.

Well, that sucks. I guess I could always solo the manhunt in normal mode. The mask drops regardless I reckon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psion posted:

I very much hope they make a NYC DZ 2.0 and make it one, larger DZ.
Extremely :same:

I guess I shouldn't complain if everything is ARs and health damage since I found a near-perfect Chameleon today with crit chance :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would love to see how much of a hellscape the original game's area has become in the time since. Like Haven is built within the walls of an old Dark Zone, how bad did midtown get where that was the best place to go?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hatelull posted:

Well, that sucks. I guess I could always solo the manhunt in normal mode. The mask drops regardless I reckon.

Likely. The attribute rolls will probably better on higher difficulties though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

I would love to see how much of a hellscape the original game's area has become in the time since. Like Haven is built within the walls of an old Dark Zone, how bad did midtown get where that was the best place to go?
Just make it full of D1 agents who found out how WoNY ends.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is there any event or anything this week? I haven’t logged in since Monday but might if there’s something to knock out. Just got burned out last week.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there any event or anything this week? I haven’t logged in since Monday but might if there’s something to knock out. Just got burned out last week.

Nope, all events and leagues are over. Just a week left to finish/repeat the manhunt and finish the season track.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does pulse no longer boost damage unless you have a high skill tier? I sorta missed that whole system going into effect since I never play skill wizards, but seeker seems ludicrous if you get it to overcharge.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Pulse damage buff requires overcharge, yes. They hit pulse twice after it being so strong in D1 and it really only needed one hit, but doubling up on (otherwise valid) nerfs is Massive's signature move at this point. So it's useful in some edge cases involving BTSU glove overcharge and I guess if you run it with something that will consistently overcharge it'd be alright, but overcharge on demand is difficult.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Psion posted:

Pulse damage buff requires overcharge, yes. They hit pulse twice after it being so strong in D1 and it really only needed one hit, but doubling up on (otherwise valid) nerfs is Massive's signature move at this point. So it's useful in some edge cases involving BTSU glove overcharge and I guess if you run it with something that will consistently overcharge it'd be alright, but overcharge on demand is difficult.
Acosta's Go Bag sounds like a good fit for that

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shumagorath posted:

Does pulse no longer boost damage unless you have a high skill tier? I sorta missed that whole system going into effect since I never play skill wizards, but seeker seems ludicrous if you get it to overcharge.

There's a chest talent, Spotter, that boosts damage to pulsed enemies like in Div 1. You can use the Technician's laser sight to automatically pulse enemies you aim at with the spotter talent so you don't have to always use the Pulse skill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

There's a chest talent, Spotter, that boosts damage to pulsed enemies like in Div 1. You can use the Technician's laser sight to automatically pulse enemies you aim at with the spotter talent so you don't have to always use the Pulse skill.
:downsgun:

Thanks; I definitely had spotter on my old gear when everything could have a talent, but I was still hitting pulse at the start of every engagement like it mattered.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

hatelull posted:

Check your inventory. The mask does not drop off her like a normal exotic, with beacon and everything, instead it is automatically added to your inventory. When I did the Manhunt I also thought "Oh, no mask" and then noticed that I actually had received it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I have to say I was completely caught off guard by the surprise lesbians from the Wire Scavengers Hidden Mission. Definitely wasn't expecting that from this game, and the ASL being accurate was also a bonus.

They're cute.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

hearing impaired character was surprising too.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Just started WoNY, any tips?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

skaianDestiny posted:

They made SHD cases even more annoying. Find where they are then work backwards. The starting point is usually nowhere near where the case is. Look for ropes to shoot down. If the building where the case is has any kind of bridge to an adjacent building sharing an alley then the starting point is at that building.

oh yeah, also because of the rope thing don't look at night. The poo poo is already hard to see during the day.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Have you been playing the game already or are you going straight to WONY via the booster thing?

If you have played before:

The SHD caches you can find are not to buy upgrades like in DC but to unlock 1 time only boxes in each of the 4 safe houses. Each one basically gives you a specific equipment thing (a Named item, a couple of gear set items, etc). They are not necessary to advance anything and you may want to wait until you’re level 40 to do them just so you don’t have to immediately throw away what you get once you level up a couple times.

Getting to SHD caches themselves is a bit of a puzzle but it’s more about finding a circuit box to shoot or a rappel rope to drop (by shooting the yellow ball) rather than finding the right climbing path. Sometime the thing to shoot is right beside the cache, sometimes it’s 100 meters down the block. There is one in a sewer that does have a unique challenge to it.

Each main mission bosses will also drop a Named item the first time you kill them but unless you want to grind up to level 40 outside the missions there isn’t really a need to delay over that particular perk.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I liked the little cache puzzles...wish they were all like that in DC too. Really enjoyed the greater use of vertical spaces in NY as well.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How does Shepard ranking work? I've gotten one opportunity to endorse someone but not gotten one back, typically since I drop in, clear the situation / revive and leave.

Edit: And is there any way to make gear/skill mod sorting suck less?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 9, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shumagorath posted:

How does Shepard ranking work? I've gotten one opportunity to endorse someone but not gotten one back, typically since I drop in, clear the situation / revive and leave.

Edit: And is there any way to make gear/skill mod sorting suck less?

When answering a call, ICAC will announce you are eligible for endorsement then will announce when the other agent endorses you. There's auto endorsement too after helping for a bit. When you're rank increases you'll get a flashy light show on your agent.

Short answer RE: mods, not really. Keep the highest level mods and get rid of redundant ones like several versions of "Adds +1 ammo" also I'd go as far as to say get rid of mods for any skills you absolutely do not see yourself using.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wamdoodle posted:

When answering a call, ICAC will announce you are eligible for endorsement then will announce when the other agent endorses you. There's auto endorsement too after helping for a bit. When you're rank increases you'll get a flashy light show on your agent.

Short answer RE: mods, not really. Keep the highest level mods and get rid of redundant ones like several versions of "Adds +1 ammo" also I'd go as far as to say get rid of mods for any skills you absolutely do not see yourself using.

Yeah, you have to (I think) do a certain amount of damage before you can be endorsed?

I just tag mods that seem high and dump them in my stash, and sort through them periodically.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The “easiest” way to sort skill mods is to keep them all in your inventory and find the lower values in the screen where you attach the mods to skills. Since mods with the same effect can have different names this is the only place they are collected. Unfortunately this means your mod inventory will up right quick and you have to constantly clear it out.

If you don’t really use too many different mods you can at least keep a bunch equipped to your skills already.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

skaianDestiny posted:

I have to say I was completely caught off guard by the surprise lesbians from the Wire Scavengers Hidden Mission. Definitely wasn't expecting that from this game, and the ASL being accurate was also a bonus.

They just look like they're praying together :iiam:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I remembered that we can reroll exotics just this last week because I have no object permanence and I had capped out on exotic components. Rerolled a few of my badly-rolled exotics to godrolls, including my Acosta's Go Bag and have been using it with 4-piece Hard Wired to be able to spam overcharged skills and it's pretty fun.

Being able to spam overcharged jammer pulse pretty much has let me dunk on Heroic Rogue pulls with pubbies, which is pretty satisfying because my early experiences with Rogue Agent pulls wasn't good. Not so tough when you can't throw out 500 loving turrets and drones all at once are ya, assholes? Uninvaded heroic missions are unironically tougher than invaded with this setup because the Black Tusk rely so heavily on their toys and loving warhounds. Goddamn that robodog murder room in the Federal Emergency Bunker was satisfying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kibayasu posted:

The “easiest” way to sort skill mods is to keep them all in your inventory and find the lower values in the screen where you attach the mods to skills. Since mods with the same effect can have different names this is the only place they are collected. Unfortunately this means your mod inventory will up right quick and you have to constantly clear it out.

If you don’t really use too many different mods you can at least keep a bunch equipped to your skills already.

I totally gave up on that. I have the ones I need at “good enough I guess” levels so I don’t even bother looting skill mods any more. Full inventory, never cleaning it, never picking up a new one. Just leave ‘em on the ground like the annoying trash they are.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Aesis posted:

They just look like they're praying together :iiam:

The girl on the right literally says they're girlfriends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgLRXmcC8os

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Man if the LMG suppression mechanic has ever annoyed you just keep trying for a good roll on Pestilence :catstare:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Jesus gently caress I didn't realize how bullshit the last part of DARPA is. Insta-kill mortars and a sniper boss are the kryptonite to my Pestilence build. The juxtaposition of these two posts is even worse.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 12, 2020

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Post-nerf DARPA is still awful. Pre-nerf was an even bigger bullshit, more so if you want to do speedruns, I've downed the loving boss before it jumped down, he even got into the downed position just to get all his armor and HP back and then get to ground level and rush me.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Current weekly project wants me to do Black Tusk bounties, but the last couple of days I've only found one available? Is there a trick to getting these or is it just luck of the draw?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

alphabettitouretti posted:

Current weekly project wants me to do Black Tusk bounties, but the last couple of days I've only found one available? Is there a trick to getting these or is it just luck of the draw?

Do Black Tusk Hostage Situations/Public Executions to get more Black Tusk bounties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:lol: did they seriously forget to lock the Coney Island weather to dark / stormy when the missions are art-directed around a loving thunderstorm?

Edit: And Dolores Jones must have been their attempt to make Manny's dialogue sound good

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 12, 2020