Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ola posted:

Had a weird cork experience last night with a Rioja reserva 2015. It smelled corked on open, but was fine in the glass. I thought maybe some gunk had gotten inside the foil and was causing a moldy smell. Later on I figured the cork had cork taint on top, but not at the end touching the wine. The wine was ok, not great. Should really be 5-10 years older to be fair. It was perhaps a bit off, the last glass in particular, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. The cork is the same the day after, no or very little cork smell on the wine end, strong taint at the top. Anyone experience the same?

Which producer? There's a couple in Rioja that have known bad years/particular cork issues. Selfishly hoping it's not Muga as I'm sitting on a few of their '15s myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

JohnCompany posted:

Which producer? There's a couple in Rioja that have known bad years/particular cork issues. Selfishly hoping it's not Muga as I'm sitting on a few of their '15s myself.

Contino.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ola posted:

Contino.

Unsurprising. I recall, and a couple of friends who know more than I about riojas, confirm that Contino doesn't have the best reputation for good corks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What do you guys think about Kistler wines?

Specifically their pinot noir and their chardonnay offerings? I hear Freestone-Occidental is pretty good as well if you're unable to get the Kistler pinot.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

obi_ant posted:

What do you guys think about Kistler wines?

Specifically their pinot noir and their chardonnay offerings? I hear Freestone-Occidental is pretty good as well if you're unable to get the Kistler pinot.

I'd say as a generalization for the price point, over priced. The wines are not what I would call 'True Sonoma Coast' in style, but are still tasty. Steve Kistler owns Occidental and if you want that style of wine for a (slightly) better price point, I'd recommend it. Last time I tasted I think 2016 Freestone-Occidental it was oaky and dark as gently caress tbh.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was able to tray a 2017 Kistler Russian River Valley pinot for a decent price. I wouldn't pay whatever the asking price for it. Although it was very pretty, floral, light and well balanced as a whole. Bright red, underriped strawberries throughout the whole thing. It was also a bit weird because it had a touch of carbonation when I first opened the wine and completely dissipated after I let it breathe for 10-15 minutes.

Does anyone know what that is called? It definitely wasn't corked though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been kind of turned off by Chardonnay (Australian is what is primarily available here, and the bottles I've tried have been generally too buttery (almost syrupy) for my taste), but have heard great things about white Burgundy, so I'm kind of excited to try one of these bottles when they arrive next week.

Not exactly high-end stuff, but finding affordable Burgundy here is a challenge.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

anakha posted:

I've been kind of turned off by Chardonnay (Australian is what is primarily available here, and the bottles I've tried have been generally too buttery (almost syrupy) for my taste), but have heard great things about white Burgundy, so I'm kind of excited to try one of these bottles when they arrive next week.

Not exactly high-end stuff, but finding affordable Burgundy here is a challenge.

I really like Olivier Leflaive's cheapest offering if you're looking to pick up another bottle.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

obi_ant posted:

I was able to tray a 2017 Kistler Russian River Valley pinot for a decent price. I wouldn't pay whatever the asking price for it. Although it was very pretty, floral, light and well balanced as a whole. Bright red, underriped strawberries throughout the whole thing. It was also a bit weird because it had a touch of carbonation when I first opened the wine and completely dissipated after I let it breathe for 10-15 minutes.

Does anyone know what that is called? It definitely wasn't corked though.

That's likely just leftover CO2 from fermentation. Often seen in very young wines, especially whites that don't see barrel aging, but it can be present in reds as well. Enclosure type can affect this, with screwcaps and long corks tending to retain more residual CO2.

Another explanation is that the wine started to ferment again in bottle, making its own CO2. This is considered a flaw and would generally leave you with some off, funky aromas. This can happen to unfiltered wines that have a bit of residual sugar, and is super common in natural wines. If some yeasts hang around, they can go to town on leftover sugars after bottling.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Crimson posted:

That's likely just leftover CO2 from fermentation. Often seen in very young wines, especially whites that don't see barrel aging, but it can be present in reds as well. Enclosure type can affect this, with screwcaps and long corks tending to retain more residual CO2.

Another explanation is that the wine started to ferment again in bottle, making its own CO2. This is considered a flaw and would generally leave you with some off, funky aromas. This can happen to unfiltered wines that have a bit of residual sugar, and is super common in natural wines. If some yeasts hang around, they can go to town on leftover sugars after bottling.

Thanks for the explanation. I typically look for wet cardboard or wet dog when trying to determine if a bottle is corked. If it’s something like a funky beaujolais, I’ll wait until the sulfur or whatever just dissipates from the glass.

Although there was something I had a few months ago I couldn’t find any information on.

I had a well-known Chardonnay from 1999 and although more than likely past its prime it was stored in very ideal conditions, so I decided to give it a try.

Nose was great, initial taste was amazing, mid pallet was good too... but the finish was like drinking hellfire. Stupidly astringent, took two sips and poured it down the drain. Stomach felt fine afterwards. I assume it was the wine turning into vinegar.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Wet cardboard is oxidation imo. Corked is just... corked. Girlfriend says potato cellar, but imo corks can just sort of smell like that without the wine itself being corked.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

obi_ant posted:

I really like Olivier Leflaive's cheapest offering if you're looking to pick up another bottle.
+1 to this. Great value! I also like the Benjamin Leroux around the same price point. If you want to go a few bucks cheaper, Goulley Chablis.

Also heads up, Matthiasson Wines is having a sale: 6-11 bottles 15% off, 12+ bottle orders 20% off and both with free shipping.

(obviously I got a case of rose)

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
The big negociants: Jadot, Bouchard, and Bouchard's cousin Fevre are all worth a tipple as far as affordable white burg goes. I'm partial to the Bouzeron from Jadot, which is both absurdly cheap and quaffable if you're into aligote. Not so sure about Drouhin, which generally underperforms imo

On the other end of the spectrum I was convinced to buy a bottle of 2017 Jadot Monty... have been hearing great things about them at the high-end as well...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My go-to value white Burg: Vincent Girardin and Roche de Bellene / Domaine de Bellene. They all have expensive higher ends, but the lower ends are nicely priced and really well made.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I typically look for wet cardboard or wet dog when trying to determine if a bottle is corked. If it’s something like a funky beaujolais, I’ll wait until the sulfur or whatever just dissipates from the glass.

Corked and re-fermented are very different flaws. Check out wikipedia's decent wine fault page. There's a handy little chart which breaks down the common aromas for each flaw. Hard to say what exactly went on with that Chardonnay but I'm thinking it had some volatile acidity going on. Maybe acetaldehyde and/or acetic acid.

thotsky posted:

Wet cardboard is oxidation imo. Corked is just... corked. Girlfriend says potato cellar, but imo corks can just sort of smell like that without the wine itself being corked.

Of course everyone's aroma descriptions are subjective, but wet cardboard is a super typical descriptor for corked wines. Generally oxidation will give you nuttiness, and make the fruit taste baked or stewed, or in extreme cases make the fruit go away and the wine will give you nothing but meatiness, mushrooms, nuts and vinegar notes. And yeah, corks can smell like cork taint without the wine being affected if the taint was on top of the cork, not touching the wine. This is why you shouldn't bother smelling the cork. It can give both false positives and negatives. Sometimes if I'm iffy on whether it's corked, I'll smell the cork to confirm it's present, but always go with the wine first.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Crimson posted:

Of course everyone's aroma descriptions are subjective, but wet cardboard is a super typical descriptor for corked wines. Generally oxidation will give you nuttiness, and make the fruit taste baked or stewed, or in extreme cases make the fruit go away and the wine will give you nothing but meatiness, mushrooms, nuts and vinegar notes. And yeah, corks can smell like cork taint without the wine being affected if the taint was on top of the cork, not touching the wine. This is why you shouldn't bother smelling the cork. It can give both false positives and negatives. Sometimes if I'm iffy on whether it's corked, I'll smell the cork to confirm it's present, but always go with the wine first.

In the beer world "wet cardboard" is the standard aroma descriptor for oxidation, and that's where I got my start with tasting so I guess it's stuck.

I am admittedly pretty terrible at detecting cork in wine (but very sensitive to mouse/THP), but for me the closest thing that comes to mind would be rancid olive oil, maybe with hints of nuts, clove or nutmeg. Still, I will only pick up on that in wines that are at "corked to all hell" for other people :shrug:

I like smelling the cork because it is interesting, but I rarely find it to be all that similar to the actual wine, even when there are no faults.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 20, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Easiest way to learn oxidized wines, leave some in your glass overnight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

anakha posted:

Chardonnay is, to my mind, a grape which shows off terroir and winemaking technique more than any other, so it's really hard to say it's good or bad based on just liking or disliking one particular style. Pay attention closely to climate. A Chardonnay from Tasmania is going to be wildly different from one produced in a hotter part of Australia, for example. White burgundy is excellent, but if the price point is a concern (and let's face it, of course it is), NZ makes some awesome Chardonnays in a similar style, and if you can find Marques de Casa Concha, that's one I particularly enjoy at a fairly low price point.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Haven't tried Domaine de Chevalier blanc before, they're not too hard to come by but I've figured the fresh release ones were too young and there were many other things to try at that price. But saw that 2013s were available so ordered one. Reviews are good and it has a little bit of age now so should be fun to try. Any opinions on it?

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 20, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Oregon chards! Walter Scott and Goodfellow, as posted upthread

Ola posted:

Easiest way to learn oxidized wines, leave some in your glass overnight.

I've had white burgs that improved after 24h open. Really imo it's the sherry and/or apple cider aromas that clinch it for me

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

Oregon chards! Walter Scott and Goodfellow, as posted upthread

I've had white burgs that improved after 24h open. Really imo it's the sherry and/or apple cider aromas that clinch it for me

Haha, opened in a glass over 24hr?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Half a year or so did little to reduce the mouse in my Justin Dutraive Les Bulands Beaujolais 2018 bottles. I've got one left, and man if I don't regret that purchase. I'll be testing more thoroughly in the future before buying multiples.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 22, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Skooms posted:

Haha, opened in a glass over 24hr?
After dinner I poured out the remainder of a bottle into a single glass, so there was more in it than I would normally pour for myself, covered the glass with cling wrap, placed it in the fridge, and had it with dinner the next day. Wine was 2007 Bouchard MP

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alright you Gamay-swilling Bojo-babes. I'm giving this category one last try. Many people like it, but I don't. But I trust people's judgement enough, particularly some skilled Bojo tribesmen who have shared with me some very juicy, natural liquorish type ones, to know that there's probably something there for me. So this is my final try:

On open, cork smells like Christmas! Cloves like whoa! Wine is a bit dusty on the nose, in addition to the cloves and the typical Gamay banana / chewy candy thing which I don't like. But also fragrant crushed raspberries and lots of juicy, dark something. So far, not so great but not too bad. It's obviously a very well made wine. My previous attempts of reconciliation weren't helped by me buying cheaper bottles.

But the plan is anyway to give this many many hours of air, because the thing that made me try this was someone of the same opinion as me saying they were converts after three hours of decanting. I might leave it recorked in the fridge for tomorrow, updates will follow. Please try to be mindful of your personal obligations and schedule, even though you are no doubt :f5h:ing for my conclusion.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's nice to taste wine while watching space launches, you can go "T+ ONE THIRTY BANANA FLAVOR FADING"

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 30, 2020

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Ola posted:

you Gamay-swilling Bojo-babes

gently caress you for making me remember this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up7su7CeMU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

Alright you Gamay-swilling Bojo-babes. I'm giving this category one last try. Many people like it, but I don't. But I trust people's judgement enough, particularly some skilled Bojo tribesmen who have shared with me some very juicy, natural liquorish type ones, to know that there's probably something there for me. So this is my final try:

On open, cork smells like Christmas! Cloves like whoa! Wine is a bit dusty on the nose, in addition to the cloves and the typical Gamay banana / chewy candy thing which I don't like. But also fragrant crushed raspberries and lots of juicy, dark something. So far, not so great but not too bad. It's obviously a very well made wine. My previous attempts of reconciliation weren't helped by me buying cheaper bottles.
Foillard's Cuvee 3.14 is for people like you and me who don't "get" Beaujolais because we hate banana in our wine. It made a believer out of me, and I suspect it will for you too. Hit me up if you're ever in the west coast and I'll pop one

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

prayer group posted:

gently caress you for making me remember this.

Haha, nice that this reference landed somewhere else outside my own head.

got off on a technicality posted:

Foillard's Cuvee 3.14 is for people like you and me who don't "get" Beaujolais because we hate banana in our wine. It made a believer out of me, and I suspect it will for you too. Hit me up if you're ever in the west coast and I'll pop one

Thank you for the offer, I'll be sure to take you up on it!

There are certainly many things to like about that Thivin, but the absensce of banana is not one of them. It's not that big of a deal, I wouldn't punch through window glass to escape a host offering me some Bojo. But I just don't like it and now it's official. It opened up quite a bit with 1 hour of air, the biggest change was really blowing off the dust the first five minutes. The wine making, the juicyness, the acidity, the crushed raspberries were all super nice qualities. The mountain of cloves was a bit weird, not really what I want in a red wine unless it's December 25. The banana wasn't huge and overpowering, but it is part of Gamay character as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'm sensitive to it? I don't like it in beer either, but many beer drinkers do. And many red wine drinkers are sensitive to bell pepper such as in Cabernet Franc, but I don't mind that at all. It's at least nice to find out something definite about what I like instead of tasting everything and kinda liking everything and not really knowing what my favorite is!

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
I wouldn't really put Chateau Thivin up as a beacon for Beaujolais. For serious Beaujolais my go-to is Chateau du Moulin-a-Vent. Their wines have gotten extremely good the last few vintages. Also the proprietor, Edouard, is a super cool dude. And as much as I dislike natty wines, certain wines from JL Dutraive are amazing. But you're equally as likely to get something from him that's super mouse tainted and weird.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Thivin Cuvee Zacharrie is a really good bojo, but it is also not very representative of bojos appeal imo. It's big, concentrated and pretty sweet. I don't think having tannins disqualifies a bojo, plenty do, especially good Morgon and Cote de Broilly wines, but this Thivin is definitely not "glou-glou", which I feel is the trend behind the bojo movement right now. It is a really good choice for people who might be put off by light drinkable perfumed reds or very natty wines though.

I feel like Yann Bertrand Juliénas Pur Ju is a good intermediate step between something like a Thivin and the most trendy Ganevat offerings or whatever. It retains some of that structure, but is lighter, the acid and fruit profile seems pretty conventional too, yet it has that drinkable bojo appeal.

I really only get banana in villages or nouveau bojos. You are probably quite sensitive to it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 31, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

Haha, nice that this reference landed somewhere else outside my own head.

Thank you for the offer, I'll be sure to take you up on it!

There are certainly many things to like about that Thivin, but the absensce of banana is not one of them. It's not that big of a deal, I wouldn't punch through window glass to escape a host offering me some Bojo. But I just don't like it and now it's official. It opened up quite a bit with 1 hour of air, the biggest change was really blowing off the dust the first five minutes. The wine making, the juicyness, the acidity, the crushed raspberries were all super nice qualities. The mountain of cloves was a bit weird, not really what I want in a red wine unless it's December 25. The banana wasn't huge and overpowering, but it is part of Gamay character as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'm sensitive to it? I don't like it in beer either, but many beer drinkers do. And many red wine drinkers are sensitive to bell pepper such as in Cabernet Franc, but I don't mind that at all. It's at least nice to find out something definite about what I like instead of tasting everything and kinda liking everything and not really knowing what my favorite is!

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with being sensitive to or disliking a given flavour or style of wine. There are plenty of wines I can recognize as world-class within their niche, and often very expensive at that, but I wouldn't bend over to pick up a free bottle of it. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, it doesn't mean other people who like that wine are wrong, it just means it ain't my cup of tea.

I have a friend who said you have to try everything three times before you decide if you like or dislike it, and I have to say that's worked well for me. There's some really great things I did not like the first time I tried them, sometimes even the second, but by the third time, you know whether something is not for you. It sounds like you've done your due diligence here and this is just not a style of wine you enjoy. In a world with many great wines to drink, it would be foolish to continue pursuing ones you don't think you'll enjoy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My local wine monopoly stocked a bunch of different wines from Progetto Calcarius and I bought one of each. I've had the Frecciabomb (sparkling) and the Bianco thus far, both Bombino Bianco. Really good, gluggable wines. The acid on the sparkling is pretty intense; I did prefer the softer Bianco.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Being stuck in the lovely ABC state that is Utah, I'm looking for suggestions on a nice Malbec. Going to a murder mystery dinner party soon and it's the host favorite type/style.
Still exploring darker wines, I don't feel like I could pick out a great bottle.

Would like some recommendations if possible. 50ish or cheaper? I wouldn't mind grabbing a few bottles

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Being stuck in the lovely ABC state that is Utah, I'm looking for suggestions on a nice Malbec. Going to a murder mystery dinner party soon and it's the host favorite type/style.
Still exploring darker wines, I don't feel like I could pick out a great bottle.

Would like some recommendations if possible. 50ish or cheaper? I wouldn't mind grabbing a few bottles

Catena Alta would probably be the most widely available malbec in that range and is quite solid.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Crimson posted:

For serious Beaujolais my go-to is Chateau du Moulin-a-Vent. Their wines have gotten extremely good the last few vintages. Also the proprietor, Edouard, is a super cool dude.

Man I had a 2011 Chateau du Moulin-a-Vent recently, it was maybe one of my favorite wines ever. So freaking good. Got it from a vendor that gives me good deals on older stuff Wine Advise.

I love Bojo but not banana or bubble gum notes. I've managed to avoid it in all the cru ones I've tried. One of my disappointing buys was Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois. Off putting bitterness. Maybe a decant would have helped.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 5, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can find tons of Moulin-a-Vent somethings, but not Chateau de. It's like fighting windmills! I'm not forgetting Bojo forever, but there's plenty of other stuff to drink.

How about 26 year old white Burg?

Have seen this producer many times before in the stores, I think only in old vintages, but have only tried a few. Never bad, never mindblowing. Same with this 1/3 in, still needs more air. Nice though. Deep golden, old wood, butter, citrus, eucalyptus, little bit of matchstick, bit of earth and mushroom and that mysterious "body odour of someone you love"-thing. Not really jumping out of the glass though, it could need a bit more of everything to be really good. Got it for $94, which might seem more worth it in an hour or so.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Ampeau is a hilarious oddity, they hold wines back in a very laissez faire fashion. They just don't really care about marketing or selling their wines. That's a current release from them, I believe. Or perhaps a release from only a couple years ago.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crimson posted:

Ampeau is a hilarious oddity, they hold wines back in a very laissez faire fashion. They just don't really care about marketing or selling their wines. That's a current release from them, I believe. Or perhaps a release from only a couple years ago.

Yes, got it on a new release just a few weeks ago. From the Norwegian store at least, not sure about Robert himself.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've had Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois a couple of times and I like it fine. I remember it as very drinkable. Not the best from that producer though. Their Morgon and Julienas are great, and they have a side label called Ch. Cambon which is probably better value than raisins gaulois.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thotsky posted:

I've had Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois a couple of times and I like it fine. I remember it as very drinkable. Not the best from that producer though. Their Morgon and Julienas are great, and they have a side label called Ch. Cambon which is probably better value than raisins gaulois.

I've seen Raisins Gaulois in the natural shelf many times, funny label. I'll give Ch. Cambon a try.