Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fabulousity posted:

But can that same basement nerd, when dropped into the TV production machine, stand their ground against the army of studio executives who won't stop loving with things because "According to focus groups it won't sell in the midwest market" or a bunch of corporations just paid 20 million ad bucks to the studio so now you have to graft in a scene with your characters riding around in a Dodge Ram explicitly commenting on how great it is and how easy it was to pair their tricorder Apple iTunes app with it.

"Also, who's going to pay for the set and the effects for this fake spaceship you're going to use for a grand total of thirty seconds of screentime? Oh, and that one writer that we fired eight weeks ago, you remember, the complete jerk, is threatening to sue if we do a hologram fakeout thing because one of his scripts that we rejected had a thing like that in it, and he says we're stealing the idea. We could fight him but Legal says it'd be a huge hassle that they really don't have schedule space for right now. So... can't you just do something simple like have Patrick show up at the lady's house? We need to go on location for that anyway, for the last half of the scene. If you need more action, have her pull a raygun on him or something. Besides, I thought that was the whole point of this show anyway, nice quiet character drama, right? We can cut out one spaceship scene. So cut it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Look at this big gay space-pimp:

Goddamn.
TNG really dropped the ball when they cut down on the camp.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pondex posted:

Goddamn.

Did you even see Q?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Harry Mudd was just a goofy swindler

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

oh but seriously I posted:

Did you even see Q?

I'll give you that, but he was only in like 10-12 episodes of new Trek

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pondex posted:

Goddamn.

More like did you ever see Riker's Angel I outfit?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I don’t know which dropped plot thread from tng is more infuriating, the gross bugs from Conspiracy or the progenitor aliens from The Chase. Probably gonna go with the latter

One of the novels picks up on the bug aliens. They end up being evil off shoots of the Trill that try to take over Bajor or something.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

"Also, who's going to pay for the set and the effects for this fake spaceship you're going to use for a grand total of thirty seconds of screentime? Oh, and that one writer that we fired eight weeks ago, you remember, the complete jerk, is threatening to sue if we do a hologram fakeout thing because one of his scripts that we rejected had a thing like that in it, and he says we're stealing the idea. We could fight him but Legal says it'd be a huge hassle that they really don't have schedule space for right now. So... can't you just do something simple like have Patrick show up at the lady's house? We need to go on location for that anyway, for the last half of the scene. If you need more action, have her pull a raygun on him or something. Besides, I thought that was the whole point of this show anyway, nice quiet character drama, right? We can cut out one spaceship scene. So cut it."

I get that there are a lot of budgetary reasons to cut things out or down. It just feels so odd to see so many different alien bridges or new interiors throughout all of trek and then think this series couldn't have built one more. Discovery had so many beautiful and detailed sets, but Picard is stuck with drab location after drab location. I can only assume the budget was cut back drastically after Disco didn't justify how much it cost. Hopefully one day we'll know exactly what was happening behind the scenes and know for sure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Harry Mudd was just a goofy swindler

Maybe a slaver, just a bit.

But yeah, that's why Discovery's take on his character is loving garbage

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
"Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" (DIS1x07) is one of the best of all discovery (not a high bar ikr) and its about Mudd.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

"Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" (DIS1x07) is one of the best of all discovery (not a high bar ikr) and its about Mudd.

Mudd is basically Neelix done right. He's like, the quintessential fat evil man and you can tell the actor had a lot of fun with the character.

Neelix on the other hand, is the proto Jar-Jar. I get what they were going for with his character (Guinan but not played by Whoopi Goldberg) without realizing what made that character tolerable (Whoopi Goldberg). Also, looking up the list of voyager cast is hella jaring - everyone is predictably older, but they all aged pretty well, and oh my god there's Jennifer Lien's mugshot. Jeeeesus christ meth is a hell of a drug.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sure, and if it had been a completely different character, fine. Instead we get grimdark Cool Ice Joker Mudd.

Harcourt Fenton Mudd, goofy conman or blood thirsty sociopath?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Kill a guy once, that's murder. Kill them 100 times, that's comedy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If nothing else, mirror universe episodes are kinda pointless now that all of Star Trek takes place in the mirror universe

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

infernal machines posted:

If nothing else, mirror universe episodes are kinda pointless now that all of Star Trek takes place in the mirror universe

It is more that we live in the mirror universe

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

A White Guy posted:

Mudd is basically Neelix done right. He's like, the quintessential fat evil man and you can tell the actor had a lot of fun with the character.

Neelix on the other hand, is the proto Jar-Jar. I get what they were going for with his character (Guinan but not played by Whoopi Goldberg) without realizing what made that character tolerable (Whoopi Goldberg). Also, looking up the list of voyager cast is hella jaring - everyone is predictably older, but they all aged pretty well, and oh my god there's Jennifer Lien's mugshot. Jeeeesus christ meth is a hell of a drug.

Don't forget she waggled her tits and rear end at some kids.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Now the mirror universe of Star Trek is "good television".

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A White Guy posted:

I beg your pardon but how did you neelix = guinan?
Guinan was a friend, a guide, a treasure, a barkeep for your soul. Neelix was a goofy lowlife who had lot of mental health issues, toxic and was generally lost in his life.

also ohgod ffs why did you mention lien and her mugshot. gently caress me for googling that.

gently caress

Harcourt Fenton Mudd, goofy conman or blood thirsty sociopath?

TOS vs 21st century viewer's demands. GOT, cyberpunk, all that grimdark bullshit. Its a trend fad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh but seriously I posted:

It is more that we live in the mirror universe

I suddenly have a goatee, so that checks out, I don't know why it means Star Trek has to be angry bullshit now though.

TOS vs 21st century viewer's demands. GOT, cyberpunk, all that grimdark bullshit. Its a trend fad

Yeah, I'm not a fan TBH

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I beg your pardon but how did you neelix = guinan?
Guinan was a friend, a guide, a treasure, a barkeep for your soul. Neelix was a goofy lowlife who had lot of mental health issues, toxic and was generally lost in his life.

also ohgod ffs why did you mention lien and her mugshot. gently caress me for googling that.

gently caress

Neelix has more than a few moments where he tries to help people out with solid soulful advice. Every time he does this, it comes off like a homeless guy totally sauced sitting next to the door of a gas station offering to buy teenagers booze. You can tell that the voyager writing team looked at TNG's scripts and tried to ham Neelix into the same role without realizing what made those moments special and good.

Is there a documentary out there on the creative side of Voyager? Or rather, on what a complete mess it was? I feel like that would be hella entertaining.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Well all these moments with a soulful advice could have been done by literally any sensible enough humanoid that lived longer than 9 years. I liked Neelix for his 'goofy unfittingness' into the crew. He just didn't loving fit and it made me feel compassionate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGiTq_40S4

Wings of fire!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I just watched The Offspring. That made me hate the Picard show a whole lot more and now I am sad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the more you suffer the more it shows you really care.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, I just watched The Offspring. That made me hate the Picard show a whole lot more and now I am sad.

:lmao: there is more good in any moment of that episode than anything in the entire run of Picard except maybe the Vulcan/Romulan with Ray-Bans

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Ghostlight posted:

the more you suffer the more it shows you really care.

I appreciate this. More posts like this should come out and play.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
What’s your favorite trek character?? Mine is quark. I would have to put Kirk second and then my dude William T

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pondex posted:

Goddamn.

somehow i never quite realized just how gigantically large his belt buckle is :wth:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lal may be inexperienced in human matters but god dang if she doesn't know immediately what Riker's deal is.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

somehow i never quite realized just how gigantically large his belt buckle is :wth:

That's how the handkerchief code works in the future.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

So I just watched Jeff Combs ham it up in a trash thriller that was clearly some psychopath's whack off fantasy. It was not as hot as that sounds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From Beyond is great.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

When actors find themselves in that scenario, does it not weird them out? Then again, Miramax was quite successful

Ghostlight posted:

From Beyond is great.

It was actually 2012's Would You Rather. Given my time again, I'd rather not

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I suddenly have a goatee, so that checks out, I don't know why it means Star Trek has to be angry bullshit now though.

Mirror Spock’s goatee was a coronavirus quarantine beard.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

What’s your favorite trek character?? Mine is quark. I would have to put Kirk second and then my dude William T

armus

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lieutenant Leland T Lynch

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Captain Thomas Halloway of the USS Enterprise-D.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I liked Jellico. He didn't put up with Riker's poo poo.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

actually my real answer is commander calvin 'hutch' hutchinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GolfHole posted:

actually my real answer is commander calvin 'hutch' hutchinson