Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Basically, though it was Jill who went there and not Carlos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Figured that was probably the case, I just got wondering about it with the shortness and scale of production, if it might have been an extra way to cut corners.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

Even without the universal praise RE2 got it seems crazy to not milk DLC out of this game the way it was already constructed to have you blow through it quickly multiple times. The structure's already there for all kinds of stuff.

For real. I agree.

Game seems tailor made for that sort of content and I'm honestly surprised we didn't get something. I still like the game overall but it doesn't call to me to play it like RE2make did. Seems like Capcom could at least do The Battle of Marvin reaching the RCPD or Mikhail Viktor's corralling of the train.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well I finished it at five hours almost to the minute. I liked what was there a lot, but yeah, I'm glad I didn't pay full price just because of the length. I was generally fine with it being more action-y than the last one, it had about enough running around puzzle solving for me by the time I got through the hospital section. So, overall a good time. And I'm really happy I went with the PC version and downloaded that stupid bodybuilder mod, it made the whole thing so entertaining and as far as I'm concerned, Big Jill is the canon version since it's the only one I've seen.

:hellyeah:

holy poo poo :eyepop:

Convex posted:

Those have been on Steam as DLC for at least a month

are those on psn? getting tempted to do a hardcore run...

edit: figured i might as well check my self and hello, they are! 2/3ish quid/bucks. finally, been waiting ages for this poo poo. scalpers on ebay selling the codes for 50 quid can eat my rear end.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 4, 2020

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looks like there's a steam sale on RE3:Remake from $60 to $40. Given the reviews weren't as strong as RE2:Remake which I'd personally value at $50, what's the opinion on the value on this one sale? I doubt the steam summer sale would go even lower than this current price drop.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'd personally recommend waiting another year and seeing if you can't get it at 30 then, but I guess for the moment 40$ is as good as it gets.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

NarDmw posted:

Looks like there's a steam sale on RE3:Remake from $60 to $40. Given the reviews weren't as strong as RE2:Remake which I'd personally value at $50, what's the opinion on the value on this one sale? I doubt the steam summer sale would go even lower than this current price drop.

If we’re going with abstract values like that, I would say that RE3 is worth about half as much as RE2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol dammit, immediately after I broke down and paid $45.

After my playthrough my thought was that $30 would be totally worth it, $40 is worth it if you are of the type to replay a story campaign doing challenges/buying new equipment.

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

If we’re going with abstract values like that, I would say that RE3 is worth about half as much as RE2.

Much appreciated. In some regards I wish there was a site like howlongtobeat.com, but for a collective subjective assessment on a game's true value or fair price.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NarDmw posted:

Much appreciated. In some regards I wish there was a site like howlongtobeat.com, but for a collective subjective assessment on a game's true value or fair price.

That's basically impossible since people value different things and most people have extremely bad ideas of what a fair price/value is so you'd get people saying $60 is fair for a 5 hour game starring their favorite scantly clad anime character and $10 is too much for a 900 hour RPG because they got bored of it after 900 hours.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
$40 sounds fair for a guy who did most of 100%ing re2r and intends to replay re3r a few times, give resistance a few inquisitive tries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ImpAtom posted:

That's basically impossible since people value different things and most people have extremely bad ideas of what a fair price/value is so you'd get people saying $60 is fair for a 5 hour game starring their favorite scantly clad anime character and $10 is too much for a 900 hour RPG because they got bored of it after 900 hours.
Arguably this is where the wisdom of the crowd might come in handy, cancelling out the noise from outliers. Hell, if you signed up and gave your own reviews, it could tune the prices to those of people whose tastes overlap yours, so you could find out whether the scandily clad 900 hour anime RPG was worth $10 from other aficionados, though there would have to be some adjustment for local purchasing power.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Since we're discussing monetary value based on whether something is on sale on Steam, the DLC season pass for RE7 dropped down to £16.49. I enjoyed RE7, wasn't my absolute favourite but I had fun and intend to go back and 100% it after RE3 and a stint on C&C remastered - worth it at that price for all the DLC?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The only DLC for RE7 that are really worth bothering with at all are Not A Hero and End of Zoe, so check if you can get those two separately for cheaper first.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

NarDmw posted:

Depends on what kind of game you're looking for and how much you like the franchise or are jonesing for something new.

I don't regret buying it but the addiction factor is way lower than RE2make and that game also had a lot of cool DLC modes and poo poo to mess with. The add on game for this one doesn't interest me at all since I HATE playing online games for the most part.

I'd say the general consensus is pretty much spot on and the reviews here and elsewhere are pretty accurate. :

It's good, but not as good as the last game. A little short. Very linear with lots of set pieces. Felt like certain areas were clipped/rushed and you never get that "where do I go next" feeling. If you have the money and saving 10 or bucks one way or the other isn't an issue, you're wanting to gently caress with zombies and like the franchise, then go for it. But if you want a game you can explore and really work to master, just wait til it's in a clearance rack somewhere.

It's more visceral and action oriented than RE2make. So you do more actual killing than knee capping, avoiding enemies, saving ammo and running, which I find fun. Head shots work well unlike the last game. It has less depth than the previous entry but it scratched my itch well enough.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cardiovorax posted:

The only DLC for RE7 that are really worth bothering with at all are Not A Hero and End of Zoe, so check if you can get those two separately for cheaper first.

The Banned Footage DLC was pretty cool, I thought; Bedroom and 21, at least. Then again, those aren't very long, and not much replay value, so... Yeah, they're neat, but I don't know if I'd say they're really necessary. Not A Hero and End of Zoe are worth it, as they wrap up RE7 pretty nicely.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Banned Footage does some weird things with the timeline that contradicts some things that you are told in the base game, so they might be more confusing than they really add, but fair point. What I wouldn't at all bother with are things like the birthday DLC and that tower defense thing. Those are just... I don't know, I don't even see the point of making those.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure how some of the Banned Footage fits in; Bedroom and 21 do well enough, but the one where Evie arrives (which I cannot remember the name of and actually forgot existed) is a little wonky.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cardiovorax posted:

Banned Footage does some weird things with the timeline that contradicts some things that you are told in the base game, so they might be more confusing than they really add, but fair point. What I wouldn't at all bother with are things like the birthday DLC and that tower defense thing. Those are just... I don't know, I don't even see the point of making those.

tbf, alot of that is the whole thing i posted a few odd pages back with the changed not a hero and Clancy, the banned footage is all meant to be Clancy and they kept bringing him back to life which would have eventually led to him being the monster boss of not a hero

the other stuff, like the speed in which the family gets infected can be easily explained away because the same thing happens to mia in the base game, with her switching back and forth, its like evie can turn the spores on and off at will for appearances sake and make them not remember it

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

When she first infected the Bakers, wasn't Evie fresh off the ship? I figured that, combined with her youth just meant she was stronger and could slam an infection through that much quicker. When Ethan arrives, she's pretty old and I'd imagine weaker, so she can't control him as easily, not without the infection taking time to get a hold of him.

Then again, that doesn't gel with Marguerite going to get her medical tests and finding a fungus growing in her brain.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe that was just an unrelated swamp cancer coincidence.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

When she first infected the Bakers, wasn't Evie fresh off the ship? I figured that, combined with her youth just meant she was stronger and could slam an infection through that much quicker. When Ethan arrives, she's pretty old and I'd imagine weaker, so she can't control him as easily, not without the infection taking time to get a hold of him.

Then again, that doesn't gel with Marguerite going to get her medical tests and finding a fungus growing in her brain.

it does because they go normal at the end of the dlc if i remember. i imagine there was on and off switch to keep up appearances for as long as possible and they wouldnt remember the moments they go crazy, like mia does, so marguerite gets checked out through a regular medical check to keep up appearances but they probably stopped doing regular stuff when the fungus was found and then they just slowly turned into the ghost myth like pete and andre talk about in the video.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I can buy that. It's not the worst thing I've accepted from this series.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The RE sale on seemingly every platform is going to cause me to play all the games in the main series this summer. I wouldn't have considered 5 (and even less so 6) until I started seeing positive comments about them online. Somehow the hardest sell to me is REmake 1. Are the Revelations games worth playing?

I know the rumors have 4 as the next remake and I'm excited if they are true. However, I really wish Code Veronica was the next one to be remade. I'm still confused why that game wasn't called Resident Evil 3 and 3 wasn't the un-numbered game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Spacebump posted:

The RE sale on seemingly every platform is going to cause me to play all the games in the main series this summer. I wouldn't have considered 5 (and even less so 6) until I started seeing positive comments about them online. Somehow the hardest sell to me is REmake 1. Are the Revelations games worth playing?

I know the rumors have 4 as the next remake and I'm excited if they are true. However, I really wish Code Veronica was the next one to be remade. I'm still confused why that game wasn't called Resident Evil 3 and 3 wasn't the un-numbered game.

Legal reasons. Capcom wanted to make their next game on Dreamcast but they had contractual obligations to Sony.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Best explanation I heard was a deal with Sony that they would get the next numbered game on the PSX. Originally RE3 was going to be a spin-off title and only got changed to a numbered sequel extremely late in development; things like the intro sequence (where Jill escapes her apartment) were only added after the budget was increased.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Rely on Horror - Resident Evil 8 RUMOR: More Details Surface; Story, Enemies, Characters

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Chris Redfield murders a baby" sounds a bit much even if it is an evil baby.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"Chris Redfield murders a baby" sounds a bit much even if it is an evil baby.

What if it was in the way of the boulder he longed to punch?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Both Revelations games are good.

RE 5 and especially RE 6 not so much IMO.

Remake1...your mileage might vary depending on how much the fixed cameras bother you. For me, it was a deal breaker but the core of the actual game play seemed solid enough.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Spacebump posted:

Are the Revelations games worth playing?

I thought 1 sucked due to feeling way too small and like a handheld game. 2 was a lot better in this regard. 2 is definitely worth playing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
RE5 is solid with a friend for a one and done.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rev2 was the best RE4-ish followup by quite a bit, imo. Switching between two characters in single-player is occasionally a drag, and one of them (the little kid) isn't very fun, but overall it's very solid.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lol capcom really (re8 spoilers) wanna go all in on that original rev1 trailer huh. like they made a promise and keep going back to it only to chicken out at the last minute

lol the villain Alan R. Alan Resker? lets hope. edit: huuuuuuhh alex is in it yusssssssssss!!!! loving knew that resistance art wasn't there for shits and giggles.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 6, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Spacebump posted:

Don't play Revelations 1 for the RPG aspect. There is a separate co-op version that is all about fighting monsters with levels and gimmicks. That gets super grindy and kill all the fun for the game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
These leaks... what they suggest beggers belief. Madness spilled upon a digital page with electric ink. For in their patterns they foretell a legend walking once more. A reclusive noble cloistered in his castle above a remote village? Driven by occult beliefs and worshipping monstrosity? Can it truly be...

"Slams hands onto to table"

... Alan Ramone Salazar!?!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Caidin posted:

These leaks... what they suggest beggers belief. Madness spilled upon a digital page with electric ink. For in their patterns they foretell a legend walking once more. A reclusive noble cloistered in his castle above a remote village? Driven by occult beliefs and worshipping monstrosity? Can it truly be...
Her name is Osberta Saddler, the mistress of this fine... spiritual community. No longer will the scientific establishment think it can oppress the children of the mother goddess forever!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
https://twitter.com/Tipspanot/status/1268968992355438592?s=19

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Scalding Coffee posted:

Don't play Revelations 1 for the RPG aspect. There is a separate co-op version that is all about fighting monsters with levels and gimmicks. That gets super grindy and kill all the fun for the game.

Alternatively, the Raid mode is the actual fun part of the game. I found the campaign (at least the first couple levels) to be extremely lovely and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hellyeah:
Still waiting on the Pajama Jill mod for my second playthrough