Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Alrighty, *here's* the picture I was looking for. It's a gesture, and they need to do actual, serious things instead of gestures, but it's a drat big gesture!

https://twitter.com/tanyaofmars/status/1269047845958672384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pryor on Fire posted:

Details on who the various cops are in DC:

https://www.scribd.com/document/464485257/DHS-Component

It's kind of wild that they have the ability to corral all the air marshals and coast guard detectives and ICE agents and everyone else into one unified white house human wall.

Um. Why does ICE have snipers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

To provide covering fire for the swat teams when they raid a home.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would think they're more like designated marksmen, folks who shoot well enough and are versed in optics, but not necessarily designated as a "sniper" in traditional, military extent.

But 2020 so who the gently caress knows.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

facialimpediment posted:

Alrighty, *here's* the picture I was looking for. It's a gesture, and they need to do actual, serious things instead of gestures, but it's a drat big gesture!

https://twitter.com/tanyaofmars/status/1269047845958672384

This image is probably going into a museum one day.

Midjack posted:

To provide covering fire for the swat teams when they raid a home.

Must be some lovely rear end SWAT to need sniper overwatch to deport people who are actually willing to fight to live here as opposed to just getting lucky and being born here.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ded posted:

Because some cosplayers take it too far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's gassy stroll was such a good idea that literally everyone is running away from it, including the people that did it.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1269052983964246019

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1269057830876860419

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

ded posted:

To pick off the kids trying to escape the concentration camps

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would think they're more like designated marksmen, folks who shoot well enough and are versed in optics, but not necessarily designated as a "sniper" in traditional, military extent.

But 2020 so who the gently caress knows.

This is the weirdest semantic argument and does nothing to explain why they have anyone who uses high powered long-range rifles.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Has a pope ever called racism a sin before?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/el-paso-bishop-kneels-trnd/index.html

quote:

During Pope Francis' weekly Angelus prayer at the Vatican on Wednesday, he addressed Floyd by name in a "relatively rare" move for the Pope, according to John Allen, CNN's senior Vatican analyst.
Francis called Floyd's death "tragic" and said he is praying for him and "all those others who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yes, it's spelled out in doctrine:

quote:

any theory or form whatsoever of racism and racial discrimination is morally unacceptable

quote:

racism is not merely one sin among many, it is a radical evil dividing the human family

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Lots of "Christians" don't listen to what the Pope has to say.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bad Poster posted:

Lots of "Christians" don't listen to what the Pope has to say.

Pretty much only the catholics care.

Maybe some episcopalians, but I have my doubts. Just a shitload of catholics in the world anyhow. Apparently 1.2 billion.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Lots of "Christians" don't listen to what Christ had to say.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Seriously entertaining when you ask a christian what they're favorite verse is, then ask them to recite it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My dog doesn't listen to what I have to say.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Frank likes to ignore me occasionally until I break out the full name. Franklin Delano Woofsevelt.

Beans, meanwhile, answers really quick to his name.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Seriously entertaining when you ask a christian what they're favorite verse is, then ask them to recite it.

All the good poo poo is in Matthew

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress yes, Matthew 6 is a personal favorite. Be kind, be humble, be generous, and don't do poo poo for personal glory.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pretty much only the catholics care.

And even then...
In the 15th century, even before Europeans were aware of the New World, the Pope condemned African slavery:

quote:

They have deprived the natives of their property or turned it to their own use, and have subjected some of the inhabitants of said islands to perpetual slavery, sold them to other persons and committed other various illicit and evil deeds against them.... Therefore We ... exhort, through the sprinkling of the Blood of Jesus Christ shed for their sins, one and all, temporal princes, lords, captains, armed men, barons, soldiers, nobles, communities and all others of every kind among the Christian faithful of whatever state, grade or condition, that they themselves desist from the aforementioned deeds, cause those subject to them to desist from them, and restrain them rigorously. And no less do We order and command all and each of the faithful of each sex that, within the space of fifteen days of the publication of these letters in the place where they live, that they restore to their pristine liberty all and each person of either sex who were once residents of said Canary Islands ... who have been made subject to slavery. These people are to be totally and perpetually free and are to be let go without the exaction or reception of any money.

And in the 16th century the Pope condemned slavery of Indians:

quote:

the enemy of the human race, who always opposes all good men so that the race may perish, has thought up a way, unheard of before now, by which he might impede the saving word of God from being preached to the nations. He has stirred up some of his allies who, desiring to satisfy their own avarice, are presuming to assert far and wide that the Indians of the West and the South who have come to our notice in these times be reduced to our service like brute animals, under the pretext that they are lacking the Catholic Faith. And they reduce them to slavery, treating them with afflictions they would scarcely use with brute animals.
Therefore, We, . . . noting that the Indians themselves indeed are true men and are not only capable of the Christian faith, but, as has been made known to us, promptly hasten to the faith' and wishing to provide suitable remedies for them, by our Apostolic Authority decree and declare by these present letters that the same Indians and all other peoples—even though they are outside the faith—who shall hereafter come to the knowledge of Christians have not been deprived or should not be deprived of their liberty or of their possessions. Rather they are to be able to use and enjoy this liberty and this ownership of property freely and licitly, and are not to be reduced to slavery, and that whatever happens to the contrary is to be considered null and void. These same Indians and other peoples are to be invited to the said faith in Christ by preaching and the example of a good life

And the Spanish, who named everything after saints and put crosses on everything, did not give a single poo poo about this because hey cheap labor.

Then by the time America became a thing,

quote:

The slave trade, although it has been somewhat diminished, is still carried on by numerous Christians. Therefore, desiring to remove such a great shame from all Christian peoples ... and walking in the footsteps of Our Predecessors, We, by apostolic authority, warn and strongly exhort in the Lord faithful Christians of every condition that no one in the future dare to bother unjustly, despoil of their possessions, or reduce to slavery Indians, Blacks or other such peoples. Nor are they to lend aid and favor to those who give themselves up to these practices, or exercise that inhuman traffic by which the Blacks, as if they were not humans but rather mere animals, having been brought into slavery in no matter what way, are, without any distinction and contrary to the rights of justice and humanity, bought, sold and sometimes given over to the hardest labor.
We prohibit and strictly forbid any Ecclesiastic or lay person from presuming to defend as permissible this trade in Blacks under no matter what pretext or excuse, or from publishing or teaching in any manner whatsoever, in public or privately, opinions contrary to what We have set forth in these Apostolic Letters.

And yet there were loving priests in America who owned slaves.

Greed's gonna win.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

shame on an IGA posted:

Also reminder that if you're thinking about joining the protests or need explainers / examples of police brutality to rub in people's faces I'm keeping a running collection of helpful advice effortposts here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925910&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Hey thanks for this. I closed my twitter tab shitpile archive right before I found out my parents are too busy to follow any kind of news right now. I'll be damned if I'm going to lose this chance to try to show them reality.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

For you DC locals, the shitbag who assaulted people on the CCT has been arrested and charged with three counts of second degree assault, each of which carries a possible 10 year sentence and/or fine of $2,500. Not that this guy will see that level of consequence, but I'm sure he's not going to have a pleasant time in court.

https://www.montgomeryparks.org/uploads/2020/06/Press-Release-Arrest-Capital-Crescent-Trail-Assault.pdf

Also note that it wasn't the (ex?) cop who people had previously ID'd.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

And even then...
In the 15th century, even before Europeans were aware of the New World, the Pope condemned African slavery:

And in the 16th century the Pope condemned slavery of Indians:

And the Spanish, who named everything after saints and put crosses on everything, did not give a single poo poo about this because hey cheap labor.

Then by the time America became a thing,

And yet there were loving priests in America who owned slaves.

Greed's gonna win.

Yeah, people are susceptible to being greedy pieces of poo poo, it's just human nature to an extent.

Book of James is pretty good too.

I might have to flip through some of the more fun parts of the bible again some day. Not remotely a believer, but it's good to refresh from time to time for family fun times.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Book of James is pretty good too.

James 5 1:6

Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Frank likes to ignore me occasionally until I break out the full name. Franklin Delano Woofsevelt.

I’m glad other people have full names for their dogs. Margo is Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale and Orion is Orion Seacrest Type

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Haven't seen confirmation, but Floyd's murderer may have committed felony voter fraud in the last two elections https://twitter.com/TooMuchMe/status/1268986246338134016?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, full pet names has been a thing for me off/on. I never gave Beans a full name, just tack a Mister on it.

Next animal is going to have to have Rice or Pork or something like that in its' name just to keep the scheme going.

/\ loving lol at republicans screaming voter fraud.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Everything Conservatives scream about is projection. They know x could happen to them because that is exactly what they would do.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Everything Conservatives scream about is projection. They know x could happen to them because that is exactly what they have done.

ftfy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Haven't seen confirmation, but Floyd's murderer may have committed felony voter fraud in the last two elections https://twitter.com/TooMuchMe/status/1268986246338134016?s=19

drat sounds like this guy sucks!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I’m glad other people have full names for their dogs. Margo is Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale and Orion is Orion Seacrest Type

:golfclap:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nuclear War posted:

All the good poo poo is in Matthew

25:34-45 definitely is, but Matthew tended to pull back from social issues and blunt them by turning them into spiritual issues, while Luke met the social issues head on. One example: Blessed are the poor in spirit vs. blessed are the poor.

And James
And Ruth and Jonah, with Ezra and Nehemiah as the contrast. (I.e. don't be a vicious racist shut-in)

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

C'mon guys: John 11:35, "Jesus wept."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

post your confirmation name

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Austin 3:16

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Comrade Blyatlov, I was baptized in the holy feedwater of mild contamination

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

post your confirmation name

Silver lining of COVID was I didn't have to haul my rear end to St Louis for my husband's godson's Confirmation. Was going to feel real great about being in a church that doesn't give a gently caress about LGBTQ rights.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Naming pets is the best.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

post your pets confirmation name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, but what's Beans's full name?