Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

That sounds alright for a laugh, the excessive health pools of enemies on Master isn't so bad once you get a weapon with a bit of knockback but just getting over that hurdle can be tough.

Edit: actually I've never played a FTW map, is it just "for the worthy" as the seed?

Trip report: huh, dandelions can kill you. Bunnies kill you. Oh hey why aren't I picking up that bomb that came out of a pot?

Oh.

Pots can kill you.

I died seven times in the first 6 minutes. It's just overwhelming, I managed to get to a chest near the spawn point but it just had some climbing claws in it. I wonder if that's on purpose, so you don't get anything too quickly. I checked the map out in tEdit, and I like the way it messes with the placement rules, with lava at the surface and corruption in the sky islands. Also, there are a ton more trapped chests, with multiple dart traps, explosives and boulder drops attached. It seems like the ore deposits are larger as well? I don't think it's doable without cheating yourself in a baseline of weapons; slimes overwhelm you and zombies one-shot you, with no good way to keep them off you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

if their base is somehow in the underground layer and they're literally just using entirely torches to light it up instead of the wide variety of other lighting sources then i don't pity them in the least

decorate better, nerds

I made my character's name in giant flaming letters with torches, personally.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Memento posted:

I don't think it's doable without cheating yourself in a baseline of weapons; slimes overwhelm you and zombies one-shot you, with no good way to keep them off you.

It is, you just have to play really scummy at the start and never let anything near you unless you are willing to die dozens of times. Stuff spawns faster than you can kill it. Once you get a bow with arrows, you can cheese stuff with ranged, but you won't be able to take anything head on until you at least have a yoyo. And even then killing stuff still takes forever.

Also once you have some money, buying a ton of grenades is a good way to deal with huge mobs of enemies spawning.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 6, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Internet Kraken posted:

It is, you just have to play really scummy at the start
Using blocks to block enemies from getting to you? my word, how dare one actually take advantage of all mechanics in a sandbox adventure game!!!

quote:

Stuff spawns faster than you can kill it. Once you get a bow with arrows, you can cheese stuff with ranged, but you won't be able to take anything head on until you at least have a yoyo.

quote:

cheese stuff
:what:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You heard it here first, an entire class of the game that is supported by armor sets is 'cheese'.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

nightwisher posted:

If you want the ultimate challenge, play a FTW seed on journey, set difficulty to master and spawn rate to 10x. Good loving luck even leaving the spawn area though.

Alright.

The demo man has a house and I can do player placed back walls to prevent mob spawns. I don't see any guaranteed deaths in my future until I either get close to the corruption and worm invasion or underground and worm invasion. Hopefully the snow biome is close (no mobs that can pass through walls in its underground). Time to dig a very long 3 high tunnel just below the surface, and chop trees while dodging tree bombs (by temporarily walling off sections).

edit: Journey makes this easier since finch staff.

Boom goes the grenade!

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 6, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Holy poo poo you accepted that challenge like a king

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I started that off again, and grenades is a great idea. I've got the demolitionist and the guide underground, and pens for zombies and slimes where I can get up to a safe position and bomb them to death.

Saw this earlier on reddit: Inner tube + waterfall = Terraria Space Program

https://i.imgur.com/pTi10nq.mp4

He gets up to 685mph.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Peachfart posted:

You heard it here first, an entire class of the game that is supported by armor sets is 'cheese'.

Boxing yourself into an area where enemies cannot damage you but you can damage them is in fact cheese, which is what I was talking about. That's what cheese is; a strategy that is allowed by the game's mechanics but one that effectively removes significant portions of the challenge by having you engage with the actual content as little as possible. In this case, you exploit the fact that the majority of enemies cannot damage you through blocks to effectively render them harmless.

Ambaire posted:

Using blocks to block enemies from getting to you? my word, how dare one actually take advantage of all mechanics in a sandbox adventure game!!!

Ask yourself this; if you use a strategy that completely renders an enemy harmless due limitations of their AI, what is the point of playing on the highest difficulty? At that point they are just an inflated HP bar. No danger, no threat. Its not exactly rewarding and satisfying to triumph over something that can't fight back.

And like I said, FTW tilts things so much against you there isn't much choice in doing this. I got through the FTW early game but I'm not gonna pretend it wasn't inglorious.

EDIT: This isn't a criticism of anyone who does do those things, I'm just explaining what you have to do to survive FTW. And those strategies are the kind of stuff I see most people describe as 'scummy' or 'cheesy' because they do, in fact, negate a lot of the difficulty by keeping you from actually having to engage with an enemy beyond their HP bar.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 6, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Even blocking monsters off with blocks is a skill that you have to develop pretty well before it becomes viable, and it's probably possible to take that skill to levels that are impressive.

e: Speaking of cheesing and long range weapons, is anyone else forced by their computer to play at such a low resolution that using ranged weapons becomes non-viable? Luckily, since I played mobile before this, I'm already used to not being able to see far enough to shoot.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 6, 2020

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
How's the uzi with clorophyte bullets?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
If you kill any enemies with anything but a thorns potion you are cheesing the game and might as well play with godmode on

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Anyone else getting tired of hearing the NPC Town music?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Groetgaffel posted:

How's the uzi with clorophyte bullets?

hungry

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Anyone else getting tired of hearing the NPC Town music?

You can place music boxes in there to hear something else.

Admittedly you need to get the wizard for that first, which means hardmode. Or save editor I guess.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'm on journey, so that's not a problem.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

more serious answer is that the uzi has high velocity and no spread so i find chlorophyte bullets a bit unnecessary and i’d rather use some other ammo but it’s by no accounts bad

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Internet Kraken posted:

Boxing yourself into an area where enemies cannot damage you but you can damage them is in fact cheese, which is what I was talking about. That's what cheese is; a strategy that is allowed by the game's mechanics but one that effectively removes significant portions of the challenge by having you engage with the actual content as little as possible. In this case, you exploit the fact that the majority of enemies cannot damage you through blocks to effectively render them harmless.

Ask yourself this; if you use a strategy that completely renders an enemy harmless due limitations of their AI, what is the point of playing on the highest difficulty? At that point they are just an inflated HP bar. No danger, no threat. Its not exactly rewarding and satisfying to triumph over something that can't fight back.

People seriously talking about tactics like this being 'cheesy' enrages me without limits. There's nothing else that makes me quite so angry. Not sure whether it's the stupidity or the arrogance.

Before 1.4.x, I did a hardcore summoner run where I was not allowed to fight any enemies at all before I had the imp staff, and once I had the imp staff, imps+ only. No npcs fighting stuff, no enemy deaths at all. Sub surface tunnels and a safe hellevator with 100% player placed back walls were a requirement, as any encounters with enemies would be certain death. I used a lot of recall potions / magic mirror returns to avoid worms in the walls... would you call this 'cheese', too?

Honestly, I wish I could delete the concept of 'cheesing' stuff in games from this world. It's so profoundly stupid to even think of. If you are alive, and the enemy is dead, you have triumphed REGARDLESS OF THE METHOD.

If aliens invaded, would you be out there on the 'field of honor' with your copper shortsword and sneering at anyone who had the slightest bit of tactics and strategy?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ambaire posted:

If aliens invaded, would you be out there on the 'field of honor' with your copper shortsword and sneering at anyone who had the slightest bit of tactics and strategy?

um excuse me it is the budk alien hunter katana and I will thank you to refer to it appropriately

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Ambaire posted:

Settle down Beavis, nobody is suggesting this and you know it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ambaire posted:

Honestly, I wish I could delete the concept of 'cheesing' stuff in games from this world. It's so profoundly stupid to even think of. If you are alive, and the enemy is dead, you have triumphed REGARDLESS OF THE METHOD.

I don't really care what you do, but I still think that is a really dumb argument. It's a game, not real life. The point of games is to play them, it's why they have rules in the first place. If you really just want to win for the sake of winning, then hey, good for you. I mean, I use Cheat Engine all the time, so it's not like I'm judging. Doesn't mean it's wrong to point out that using AI exploits to circumvent the intended challenge isn't really any less cheating than turning on god mode would be

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ambaire posted:

People seriously talking about tactics like this being 'cheesy' enrages me without limits. There's nothing else that makes me quite so angry. Not sure whether it's the stupidity or the arrogance.

Sounds like you need to get over your own personal hangups about games then. It shouldn't matter to you what other people think of your tactics in a single-player videogame.

Like I originally was gonna do a long post addressing each part of your stupid post but who cares? Its a video game. Use whatever strategy you want if you're having fun. The only person you have to convince is yourself.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

It's good we have goons to point out that building things in Terraria is cheating because, when you think about it, the real point of the game is to demonstrate your sick circle-strafing skills from 1994.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Using terrain in Terraria to avoid damage isn't 100% safe, and is a perfectly valid strategy. It isn't cheesy, or like using Cheat Engine(wtf).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'd say it's a cheesy strategy, but Master Mode and For The Worthy are designed to be cheesed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ya'll can split hairs about this all day but ultimately these are subjective things and how much people tolerate and enjoy them is up to personal taste. Its a single-player game so, again, why do you even care so much if someone calls a strategy you use cheesy? Do what you want. I was just using those terms to describes the strategies I used in FTW because that's what they felt like to me.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Ya'll can split hairs about this all day but ultimately these are subjective things and how much people tolerate and enjoy them is up to personal taste. Its a single-player game so, again, why do you even care so much if someone calls a strategy you use cheesy? Do what you want. I was just using those terms to describes the strategies I used in FTW because that's what they felt like to me.

If only there was a game mode that let you set how difficult you want the game to be, how many monsters you have to deal with, etc.
Maybe they'll also add something to remove the grind on getting resources over and over again and let people play the game like they want to.

This way everyone can play the game the way they want to.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

If you stopped calling it cheesy, people would probably stop talking about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Peachfart posted:

If you stopped calling it cheesy, people would probably stop talking about it.

Or you could stop being tremendous babies about some perceived slight against your Terraria honor.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Tenebrais posted:

I'd say it's a cheesy strategy, but Master Mode and For The Worthy are designed to be cheesed.

yeah, like, this is every video game with a high enough difficulty. do people think insane stuff like civ 4 or 5 deity difficulty was meant to be played normally? the whole point of difficulty settings so far beyond the pale is to get people to think of equally ridiculous strategies to beat it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Why do people keep saying things like 'It's just a videogame' and 'there's no wrong way to play' when they are so invested they gotta cry something is cheesy and declare other people are playing wrong in the first place?

It's hardly unique to Terraria, but it's so fascinating seeing that pattern repeated over and over.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Section Z posted:

Why do people keep saying things like 'It's just a videogame' and 'there's no wrong way to play' when they are so invested they gotta cry something is cheesy and declare other people are playing wrong in the first place?

It's hardly unique to Terraria, but it's so fascinating seeing that pattern repeated over and over.

people attempt to categorize things in their head so they spend less time thinking about the details later

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't really care what you do, but I still think that is a really dumb argument. It's a game, not real life. The point of games is to play them, it's why they have rules in the first place.

Alright. What rules does Terraria have?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Section Z posted:

I mean did the person who used the term "cheese" ever say that other people were playing the game wrong?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

Yeah it sure would be weird if anyone was doing that and it wasn't just some weird fantasy you invented in your head.

Nobody has said anyone is playing the game wrong.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

I liked when people were posting their cool towns instead of slapfighting about cheese.

I'm looking for inspiration on an underworld settlement. Any cool ideas?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Been thinking about that a bit, idea I had was stalagmites (stalagtite?) houses

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean did the person who used the term "cheese" ever say that other people were playing the game wrong?

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah it sure would be weird if anyone was doing that and it wasn't just some weird fantasy you invented in your head.

Nobody has said anyone is playing the game wrong.

This feels like one of those missing the forest for the trees situations where people care more about the exact words used.

Sure, the literal word 'wrong' may have been avoided. But when there are long drawn out explanation of how people "engage with the actual content as little as possible"? Then slapping 'But that's just my opinion, why do people get so mad?' on the end is missing the point of why anyone took it poorly.

Yes, it looks incredibly silly trying to poke people through a 1 tile hole in a wall like a desperate hobo. But people acting surprised that saying so gets any form of backlash is the (more) confusing part to me, not the whole "IS there a RIGHT way to play videogames?" end of things.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 6, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GodFish posted:

Been thinking about that a bit, idea I had was stalagmites (stalagtite?) houses

Stalagmites on the floor, stalactites on the ceiling. You can remember because stalagmites might hang from the ceiling, but they don't.

Really though I think you'd have trouble having something big enough to be a house that's still recognisably a stala(gm/ct)ite formation, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

This feels like one of those missing the forest for the trees situations where people care more about the exact words used.

Sure, the literal word 'wrong' may have been avoided. But when there are long drawn out explanation of how people "engage with the actual content as little as possible"? Then slapping 'But that's just my opinion, why do people get so mad?' on the end is missing the point of why anyone took it poorly.

Yes, it looks incredibly silly trying to poke people through a 1 tile hole in a wall like a desperate hobo. But people acting surprised that saying so gets any form of backlash is the (more) confusing part to me, not the whole "IS there a RIGHT way to play videogames?" end of things.

What the gently caress are you even rambling about now

I'm done talking about this. Its asinine that this conversation even went on this long.

brain dammej posted:

I liked when people were posting their cool towns instead of slapfighting about cheese.

Here's a pic of bunnies storming my store at night