Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I think it definitely gives a huge advantage to teams getting a roll-on in attack, although I'm not sure how long it'll take for that to be mitigated by the defending team. At the moment it's leading to 13 or 15 tackle sets (since you tend to get a second penalty from the panicking defenders) which in the NRL will inevitably get you to the other try line, and likely a play or two against goal-line defence (probably retreating).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

I think it definitely gives a huge advantage to teams getting a roll-on in attack, although I'm not sure how long it'll take for that to be mitigated by the defending team. At the moment it's leading to 13 or 15 tackle sets (since you tend to get a second penalty from the panicking defenders) which in the NRL will inevitably get you to the other try line, and likely a play or two against goal-line defence (probably retreating).

I definitely felt Brisbane and Melbourne got flustered as gently caress by the pace and their opponents got an unstoppable roll on because of it, but in most of the games it didn't feel as overwhelming. Manly were too good for the Bulldogs which was hardly a surprise, while the Sharks were more putting on a comedy skit than playing ''Rugbah League"' per se.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 3, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pretty happy with my tip against the Broncos so far

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah I'm less than 100% certain we can come back from this.

ili fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 4, 2020

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

ili posted:

Yeah I'm less than 100% certain we can come back from this.

Only if Easts transform into Wests. 1999 vintage.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

This is a loving carve up

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I tipped the Broncos, and given the chance to change it even knowing the result, would tip them again. I tip fully under the knowledge that I’m extremely biased, and I’d rather lose because of it than compromise and be correct.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

MiniSune posted:

Only if Easts transform into Wests. 1999 vintage.

I live in hope. They might tire themselves out from scoring all these tries, or just bored with it. Then we'll be primed for a comeback.

ili fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 4, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Doesn't look good for our "heroes" so far

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

ili posted:

I live in hope. They might tire themselves out from scoring all these tries, or just bored with it. Then we'll be primed for a comeback.

I think we are in Glebe 1922 territory now.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
50+ at Suncorp. Savage.

Was that a kimura? gently caress that looked painful

aejix fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 4, 2020

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
So that's premiership done for now they have had 50 on them.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Only positive to come out of tonight is if we beat the Dragons and become the first team to sack the coach this year.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That was the archetypal game for a team that just didn't want to be there and gave up after 10 minutes

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Hahaha that post match interview, loving gold

"Yeah think I'll be staying off the piss this weekend unfortunately"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The entire Bulldogs squad is banned from training because some idiot let Terry Lamb attend training and he was filmed shaking players' hands. He isn't one of their 50 cleared people, either.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

iajanus posted:

The entire Bulldogs squad is banned from training because some idiot let Terry Lamb attend training and he was filmed shaking players' hands. He isn't one of their 50 cleared people, either.

drat I picked em over the dragons and even with the stupidity I'm not sure it's a bad pick.

Foran's back for his annual "hey guys I still exist" game.

Also Jesus Broncos. I know tpj, fifita and Glenn will make a big difference but there was no leadership last night.

Good opening set immediately undone by a stupid penalty and a repeat set of 6 followed by a turnover and that was it. Only bright spots on the team are Haas, Croft and Carrigan at the moment.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I think with the new six to go rule + no crowds there are gonna be some beltings this year. Even good teams might cop a thrashing or two this year if the momentum really goes against them in a game

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

BlindSite posted:

Foran's back for his annual "hey guys I still exist" game.

He's still a bloody good player, not sure I've ever seen someone who plays as tough as him which is admirable with his injury record.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Warriors make an error, immediately scored against

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Warriors make an error, immediately scored against

So back to type then.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Blake Green is significantly worse than Adam Blair. I didn’t think that was possible.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Blake Green is significantly worse than Adam Blair. I didn’t think that was possible.

Adam Blair at prop restricted purely to hitups and tackles is not a bad player. It's just when he gets ~*CrEaTiVe*~ floating around at lock or edge that things go bad.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jono C posted:

He really isnt suited to the current rules

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Reality kicking back in for NZ

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He really isnt suited to the current rules

He isn’t suited to NRL football in any form in 2020. His ability to kick straight at the fullback is impressive.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I expect big things from Munster in the current rule set. Didn't get it last week. Wonder if that'll change this week.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jahrome Hughes broke his hand and is out for a few weeks

Also 6 players failed their temperature checks for the Sharks but from the news I've heard passed their second check so all good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Manly get hosed by the refs

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Oh come on ref... Robbed. :argh:

Backwards pass called forward because it floated.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Oh come on ref... Robbed. :argh:

Backwards pass called forward because it floated.

Wish you could challenge them. Absolute robbery.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I did not think it went backwards - and trust me I'm begging for Manly to win here, the Parra fans are loving insufferable. And it hosed my footytab.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

I did not think it went backwards - and trust me I'm begging for Manly to win here, the Parra fans are loving insufferable. And it hosed my footytab.

Clearly backwards out of the hands which is all that's supposed to matter.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

MiniSune posted:

To me it looked backwards out of the hands but inertia from the sudden stop of the passing player made it float forward more than usual.

So still a legal pass imo. Oh well.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Eh, I'll beg to differ.

Anyway Cows better poo poo this in, my multi is still alive somehow.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Clearly backwards out of the hands which is all that's supposed to matter.

Exactly. The pass was definitely backwards from the hands, and then floated forward from momentum. You could see his hands easily throw it back, the touch judge just wanted to be a hero when he saw the float.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Annersly said it was the wrong call. So I'll bow to that.

But Dessy is amazingly calm in the post game conference. I suspect he is a pod person.

He did pick out that the six again call was inconsistent.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Good to see the nrl is shortening the time between loving up a call and admitting it

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
This match has been horrific for errors.

Multi is doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nobody wants to win this