Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of deathmobiles, what are the rules about turrets firing through/over tiles of the vehicle? Like if install a turret smack in the middle of my car like a mounted gun in a Humvee, will it fire over the other tiles of the vehicle? Or just quarterpanels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you like this game I suggest backing up a copy of every version you play and like and learn the simple json system to change the things that irk you.

One day a version will come down the pipe that is finally too stupid to play and you will probably want a backup of the last fun version.
Sound advice imo. I tucked a copy of the current stable release away on my HD right after I started to learn more about the dev team and their vision/direction. Imo the current stable is pretty good overall aside from the hosed temperature system so I'm okay with staying there

So I found a crashed attack chopper and two questions came up due to that. Is the gas turbine better than a V12 engine? Can you find good stuff if you take the time to dig through the wreck/rubble piles?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turrets are effectively 'over' everything and can always fire.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

Great to hear. I've been mounting my guns on the corners of my vehicle like an idiot all this time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

So I found a crashed attack chopper and two questions came up due to that. Is the gas turbine better than a V12 engine? Can you find good stuff if you take the time to dig through the wreck/rubble piles?

The turbine engines are ridiculously heavy, like way more than you want on a vehicle. The 6000 hp one weighs seven tons, which now that I think on it may not be the worst power ratio if your vehicle is huge enough. Also they all burn a disproportionate amount of fuel!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember hearing this was the case a year or so ago, mounting a turret in the middle of my vehicle... and then finding out it didn't fire on enemies bashing against the side of the vehicle unless I opened the door.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Be very careful about automated turrets and NPC passengers. Turret IFF only seems to care about the player character in my experience, leading to many faction camp allies roasted by the onboard laser.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

The turbine engines are ridiculously heavy, like way more than you want on a vehicle. The 6000 hp one weighs seven tons, which now that I think on it may not be the worst power ratio if your vehicle is huge enough. Also they all burn a disproportionate amount of fuel!
Ah that's a shame then. I didn't even check the weight only what type of fuel it uses. Probably can still be turned into an amazing suicide bike though :v: Oh well at least I looted a minigun from that chopper

Also I've discovered my first lab so keep me in your prayers tonight

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I started loving around with zones today and I'm hitting some issues, maybe someone can help? I'm on the latest experimental.

I'm trying to create a zone for food, which would include all food, including food in containers. Is that possible? When I stack Food and Container zones together, I also get non-food stuff that's in containers. When I have just the food, I only get the food without a container. I also tried custom zones but these don't seem to stack (ei. only the first one is considered, next ones are ignored during sorting).

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2020

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Tin Tim posted:

Also I've discovered my first lab so keep me in your prayers tonight

Narrator: He ded.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am doing the HUB01 mission that takes you to the basement of a collapsed building, and I think the item I was supposed to retrieve burned up. There was a Talon grenade drone in the area, and a lot of fire. I don't suppose I can find the template anywhere else?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Switzerland posted:

Narrator: He ded.
Not yet!!

It's kind of a hellscape down there though. Tons of noises and chaos, gas and smoke. I've made sort of a beachhead around the elevator and coming up with a tactical plan to clear all these connected corridors and rooms piece by piece breaks my brain. The topside entrance was real unremarkable and small but lol the floor below seems huge af. Gonna keep trucking for now but I probably need to retreat soon and bring WAY MORE AMMO

E: Wondering if it's worth the time to dissect all the scientists later? Like I'm fairly sure I should do it with bio operators but I'm just not sure if the other zombie types can give you CMBs that actually make the time investment worthwhile

E2: Made a push from my beachhead into a corridor where a bunch of stuff had been streaming out from before. Saw what seemed like a holding area with chaff zombies below the first room connected to the corridor. No light in that room so I stepped in and quickly pulled back when another surge of zombies came up on me. Got smashed into the wall by a brute and then fired wildly into the throng that was grabbing and surrounding me. And for a split second I managed to catch the word "Kevlar Hulk" pop up on my HUD. Fired even more wildly and moved as soon as I could but the fucker was already at the door. Imagine my delight when I learned that a huge tower of beef and armor can keep up with me when I sprint...

Him catching and smashing me away was what saved my rear end here tbh. Gave me time to jam a new mag into my empty rifle and then I just kept shooting. Dude ate like 50 rounds of 5,56 before he went down and I had to reload while he was punching my poo poo in

I'm just gonna gome home now okay??? :ohdear:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 6, 2020

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Fun heads-up: While venturing back down for those corpses seems a bit dangerous, this goes for any zombie you'd like to dissect: I was storing up a bunch of corpses until I got a scalpel to dissect them and I guess I waited too long because they disappeared.

I'm glad Kevin realistically modeled what happens to an exposed corpse. No rotting away to reveal bones and metallic/computer bits or desiccating into a husk, all the corpses I dragged back to base just poofed one day.

Other than that I've sorta stalled out after moving up north a good distance and finding that the second Hub01 I settled near is bugged out into not even responding to me when I talk to the intercom. I guess I'll wait until the new inventory system is sorted out and then upgrade so I can use the Vehicle Additions mod. Hopefully they don't rip the fun out of the game in-between now and then.

Edit: vvvvv I know traders at factions (The Refugee Center, Hub01) do, it takes a couple days and it's not a complete refresh. They sorta shuffle new things in and lose some of what they had.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 6, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Quick question, do stores (i.e. people you can trade with) ever refresh their inventories?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rested for a day and went back into the lab. Made a push into another corridor and started to pull zombies out of the connected rooms. Random wrestler snuck up on me from behind while I was dealing with brutes, robots and a kevlar brute from the front..

Great start with two bars gone from my head already :argh:

E: Looking for some tactical advice

I can currently safely look at this turret due to the armored glass but there is no way that I can engage it without it shooting me to pieces. My CTH from the door without any aim is real bad so I didn't even try that. I guess you solve a spot like that by opening the door and then throwing a grenade from where the turret can't see you? I have no EMP grenades and I guess a frag grenade will also destroy the items on the floor? I mean I'm going to get over it if I have to do it this way but if there's a pro-strat that I don't know about then lay it on me

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 6, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Tin Tim posted:

E: Looking for some tactical advice

I can currently safely look at this turret due to the armored glass but there is no way that I can engage it without it shooting me to pieces. My CTH from the door without any aim is real bad so I didn't even try that. I guess you solve a spot like that by opening the door and then throwing a grenade from where the turret can't see you? I have no EMP grenades and I guess a frag grenade will also destroy the items on the floor? I mean I'm going to get over it if I have to do it this way but if there's a pro-strat that I don't know about then lay it on me

This will be boring and tedious, but the safest way would be to wait for the turret to use all of its ammo. It has a limited amount.

If you have a pickaxe or jackhammer, you can also dig around it.

Finally, if you deploy a curtain on wheels and use that to block LoS, that also works.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also, if you can get your hands on some stools or chairs, they block LOS while crouching, but you can pass through tiles containing them. Since you get one turn of grace before turrets open fire, you could place them strategically around the turret so you only have to enter its LOS for one turn. You will want to sprint for one pace before ducking down again.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Good advice! However I actually want to kill that turret if possible because I really want to recover some of the ammo. I went through close to 300 rounds of 5,56 while clearing the floor so I'm in dire need to stock back up. I'm currently grabbing all the loot that isn't in LOS of the two turrets on the floor and there's just nothing related to ammo or weapons. Just tons of chemicals and related gear. I thought I could craft some EMP weapons myself but apparently the EMP bomb needs a part that you can only get from an EMP bomb according to the item browser :shrug:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Are you making a distinction between EMP grenades and bombs? Because I seem to recall (phone posting and lazy) the grenades are easier to craft.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Good advice! However I actually want to kill that turret if possible because I really want to recover some of the ammo. I went through close to 300 rounds of 5,56 while clearing the floor so I'm in dire need to stock back up. I'm currently grabbing all the loot that isn't in LOS of the two turrets on the floor and there's just nothing related to ammo or weapons. Just tons of chemicals and related gear. I thought I could craft some EMP weapons myself but apparently the EMP bomb needs a part that you can only get from an EMP bomb according to the item browser :shrug:

Do you have the resources to make a hacking laptop? That's how I usually deal with turrets I want dead.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dareon posted:

Are you making a distinction between EMP grenades and bombs? Because I seem to recall (phone posting and lazy) the grenades are easier to craft.
Seems like EMP grenades have been removed from crafting. They have no recipe on the item browser and only the bomb showed up in my crafting menu when I looked into it earlier

E: Yup grenades have been removed from crafting because realism lol

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you have the resources to make a hacking laptop? That's how I usually deal with turrets I want dead.
Huh, I forgot about that thing! I think I have the parts but may need to spend a day or two reading books to get the skills

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 6, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, I forgot about that thing! I think I have the parts but may need to spend a day or two reading books to get the skills

You won't regret it, it's easily the best way to handle robotic enemies when you have the luxury of choosing your mode of engagement. The HackPro software is the hardest component to get, but you can usually scavenge it from electronic shops in the back room.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The control laptop has also been removed recently because why not

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ah yes good, the main way to neutralize turrets that won't be a freaking slog is gone, cool

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's still in stable but gated behind two books that I don't have :(

Seems like I need to clench my cheeks and trust in normal grenades

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ah yes good, the main way to neutralize turrets that won't be a freaking slog is gone, cool

I think the biggest issue is that labs are full of turrets and are also the only place to go to get cool fun stuff so there's a big incentive for the player to try to do labs ASAP.

If the game had cool fun stuff more spread out and labs weren't the one stop shop for everything interesting then making turrets really hard to deal with isn't necessarily a bad thing

As with a lot of the recent changes to the game the change itself isn't necessarily bad it's just that it's being done while ignoring the fact that it makes the game less fun to play

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im suprised there isnt a ambushed convoy map tile thing with like a bunch of busted military vehicles and maybe one hauler that you have to torch your way in to get some sweet loot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is something kinda like that in the Hub missions. You have to find someone who was ambushed and take something out of their brain and its a bunch of crashed military vehicles and a metric fuckload of military zombies.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RabidWeasel posted:

I think the biggest issue is that labs are full of turrets and are also the only place to go to get cool fun stuff so there's a big incentive for the player to try to do labs ASAP.

If the game had cool fun stuff more spread out and labs weren't the one stop shop for everything interesting then making turrets really hard to deal with isn't necessarily a bad thing

As with a lot of the recent changes to the game the change itself isn't necessarily bad it's just that it's being done while ignoring the fact that it makes the game less fun to play

I think my go-to strategy will be avoiding turret locations until I get my hands on cloaking bionics and an anti-materiel rifle. Should be reasonably effective.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Protip to my own dumb rear end: Find a better way to get where you're going than through a big city. You might be in a decent vehicle but over time it's going to get worn down, and SOMETHING is going to gently caress you. In this case, the loss of steering capabilities. :negative:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

My main gripe with turrets is how hard they are tuned against the player taking them out. Like I'm sitting in a dark corridor, 30+ tiles away and the thing still spots and nails me. Meanwhile I can't even target it with my 50.cal sniper because reasons I guess?

E: Here's what I had to do to take this thing down

Crouched behind a shelf that I then dragged all the way to the end of the corridor which brought me out of spotting range. Then I zoomed real far out to manually guide my targeting cursor to the turret and then pray that I hit enough of the precise 27% shots before my 50.cal ammo ran out. This doesn't make me happy in the sense of me finding a way to defeat an obstacle in a game. It's just me poking at the obstacle until I find the cheese strat that wasn't patched out yet. Because there isn't really any way to combat turrets that isn't cheesy because they just kill you in any fair scenario. Dunno, but the turret design is totally not my taste :shrug:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 6, 2020

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

quote:

Cataclysm DDA: Poking at the obstacle until I find the cheese strat that wasn't patched out yet

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

loving lmao

Also I just learned that you apparently can't throw grenades over objects like shelves? Grenade just bounced and dropped in my square so I had to hustle out of there

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

loving lmao

Also I just learned that you apparently can't throw grenades over objects like shelves? Grenade just bounced and dropped in my square so I had to hustle out of there

what, you were expecting advantageous realism?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Shelf is wall.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My only recent savescum is when my character just dropped a nade at her feet instead of throwing it over a waist high fence. lmao, absolutely galaxy brained bullshit there

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Perhaps the realistic method of grenade delivery is actually kicking them directly forward?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Maybe you shouldn't have throwing/launchers 0 when you try to do a thing.

-a person who learned that the hard way

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGI6dGSbME

e2: I lost a good character because I tried to shoot a 40mm grenade through a lab double door at a kevlar hulk. I found the one that wasn't open yet.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 7, 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I imagine your average person would have a lot of bad outcomes trying to arm and throw a grenade for the first time in their life.

The fact that grenade fail compilations are a thing on youtube proves my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8QYoD0n2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LMAO, someone changed the helicopter crash / bionic soldier scenario to start with a 10 round magazine.

This ended badly.

E: Build 10735 is spawning military weapons with 10 round magazines, bug?

e2:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 7, 2020