Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Maigius posted:

Eating pudding with measuring spoons was a joy of mine as a child.

I used to eat yoghurt with one of those tiny spoons for serving sugar as a kid, it made the yoghurt last longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Red Bones posted:

I used to eat yoghurt with one of those tiny spoons for serving sugar as a kid, it made the yoghurt last longer.

And how old were you when you realised your parents had a coke spoon?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Please measure me two whisks of whipped cream please.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Carbon dioxide posted:

Please measure me two whisks of whipped cream please.

:same:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Two hwisks of cool hwip.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SiKboy posted:

And how old were you when you realised your parents had a coke spoon?

I was today years old because I never even considered it until now lol. I had to look up to confirm whether tiny sugar and salt spoons even exist (they do).

I know them well enough to know they wouldn't have bought one intentionally, but you're right, I may have been eating yoghurt from some dead guy's coke spoon they accidentally bought from a charity shop.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1268927124452380672

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s delicious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The gently caress? Did they fat-finger a decimal point and hit “publish”?

e: Wait, I get it now. It’s just the change. Every month starts at zero. The shape of the curve means absolutely nothing. The curve should not exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, I think the data is all “accurate”, it’s just not cumulative.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Subjunctive posted:

No, I think the data is all “accurate”, it’s just not cumulative.

yup. they just connected all the points together. slightly less misleading as a bar chart:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The gently caress? Did they fat-finger a decimal point and hit “publish”?

e: Wait, I get it now. It’s just the change. Every month starts at zero. The shape of the curve means absolutely nothing. The curve should not exist.

yes it's using a line chart to represent something that isn't cumulative at all

it's as bad as those pie charts with percentages that don't represent pieces of a whole and the percentages add up to like 543% or something stupid

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
Uh there's nothing wrong with a line chart plotting something that's not "cumulative"?

The issue is that they're using the phrase "V-shaped recovery" when this is actually closer to an "L-shaped recovery", but is shown in a way that it has a "V" shape.

It's similar to the sometimes inconsistent usage of the phrase "flattening the curve".

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The numbers are wrong anyway. There was no gain.

The org just doesnt want to change it because that woud be "playing politics". The numbers for both april and may are a lot lower.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SerialKilldeer posted:

Aren't a lot of measuring cups/spoons inconsistent in size across different brands, too?

There's inconsistency between old US "customary" measures of Cup (1/2 pint ~= 236 ml) , more modern "legal" ones (240 ml), and a sort of metricified version (250 ml). While 236 isn't very common any more, any random measuring cup you find might well use any one of these. Usually when buying a new one you'll get either 240 or 250 ml depending on what market (US/UK/Canada/etc.) it was designed for.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/hereforthefin/status/1268928198508609537

V-shaped recovery!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the number of job growths for may is five or so million lower than publishee number :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey economists. I’ve got your V‐shaped recovery right here.

Shammypants posted:

A lot of numbers are being updated at weird times now. Some come in late, some are updated multiple times a day, some once a day. The blue dots are WaPo numbers and the brown dots are Worldometer numbers. They are within 5000 of each other, largely because worldometer seems to get data on prisons and other areas faster than Wapo. WaPo also tracks into the night and Worldometer stops the day at around 8-9pm Eastern. We expected about 14,800 cases a day on average, but instead saw 23,000 cases a day on average.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

I agree that the situation is very bad but that truncated y-axis on the "more realistic" chart is upsetting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShimaTetsuo posted:

I agree that the situation is very bad but that truncated y-axis on the "more realistic" chart is upsetting

Do you also get upset by truncated axes on charts of temperature?

“300 K body temperature? Seems fine. You can hardly see the difference between that and the doctor’s body temperature.”

The pro move is to present unemployment as a ratio.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

“300 K body temperature? Seems fine. You can hardly see the difference between that and the doctor’s body temperature.”

shades of the nro's "only climate change chart you'll ever need"

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Platystemon posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here (I of course do get upset at all sorts of charts) but in your example not truncating the axis hides small variations which are of interest, whereas here it does not (this is an enormous drop and it would be visible even if you extended the y-axis to zero and showed the full history???).

Truncating the axis here makes it seem like a "trick" to make the drop look larger, making it easy for idiots to attack you and call you a liar. It does not make the chart clearer whatsoever.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

shades of the nro's "only climate change chart you'll ever need"

That line still looks worrying in that view.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here (I of course do get upset at all sorts of charts) but in your example not truncating the axis hides small variations which are of interest, whereas here it does not (this is an enormous drop and it would be visible even if you extended the y-axis to zero and showed the full history???).

Truncating the axis here makes it seem like a "trick" to make the drop look larger, making it easy for idiots to attack you and call you a liar. It does not make the chart clearer whatsoever.

as with the stock market and other economic indicators i think it's okay to have a non-zero axis here. 0 is not really a meaningful number. we wouldn't expect the country to ever have 0 employed people; i'm just not certain that 0 is a baseline from which to judge our effect sizes.

it's true that people can be kind of knee-jerky about truncation being always misleading, but at least in my circles i think people have a more nuanced view about it these days

e: i like just published a paper about y axis truncation so i'm a little touchy about them, sorry

Tree Goat has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Jun 6, 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/dkshrewsbury/status/1268910369453608960?s=21

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

lol, that's one way to spin that net favorability. The only thing that has broad agreement is that he has a lot of personality...

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
If you look at the don’t agree side, Boris leads in every category except one. I think all one can say is most people don’t really know and therefore don’t have much of an opinion about Keir Starmer.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Why did a quarter of respondents day that Boris Johnson doesn't have a lot of personality? What kind of personality baseline are these guys using?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boris Johnson doesn’t have personality.

It’s all affectation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BonHair posted:

Why did a quarter of respondents day that Boris Johnson doesn't have a lot of personality? What kind of personality baseline are these guys using?

Well what kind of personality do you think Dom Cum's glove has?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Taken from a twitter thread where some of the visuals are not very well thought out

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Taken from a twitter thread where some of the visuals are not very well thought out

Can you guess this person’s agenda?

Answer:
Bitcoin

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Ah yes, that infamous tactic of war: nonviolence.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Anyone who hasn't see it, please read that tweet thread unspoiled, it goes places.

https://twitter.com/harmonylion1/status/1219291414653104130

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Karia posted:

Anyone who hasn't see it, please read that tweet thread unspoiled, it goes places.

Haha holy poo poo. I thought Double Punctuation's post was a non-sequitur joke. Was absolutely sure it was going to end with "and that's why the blacks are too uppity" but it went to a MUCH crazier place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Karia posted:

Ahahaha jesus that's a proclick

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Karia posted:

Non-violent protesters must simultaneously be provoke a response to be effective, yet must be self-disciplined enough to not provoke a response. And allow the oppressor to oppress them without any resistance to let the oppresser 'feel a false sense of security.' And they must...discipline society with Bitcoin?

Shyamalan would get a boner from that level of twist.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/badecontakes/status/1269073050667872256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Where are you on this one?