Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I love The Raid 2. I especially love the badguy's name (drat am I a nerd):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When I got to that part of the movie it reset to the first one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mllaneza posted:

And the second one is a truly beautifully shot gangland film with some great brooding, moody moments. And more action scenes by the Raid team, plus one of the greatest car chases of all time. And Hammer Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoGCXWf96s

:stare:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I love that The Raid 2 has a deleted scene that's a better action film than most mainstream releases in the last decade.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
the car chase/fight scene in that movie is so badass.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dokmo posted:

the car chase/fight scene in that movie is so badass.

The camera move in that chase is the tits :allears:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jojoinnit posted:

On my way to watching something else on Netflix last night I accidentally watched Kindergarten Cop for the first time since I was a kid. The first 20 minutes contain a really fun Cobra-esque action movie that I really wish had continued instead of going to class. His shotgun has a laser sight ffs!
Cobra is a movie that's wondrous in its sheer stupidity. Everything is wrong, as if it came from a parallel, more idiotic universe. Police firing ranges are separated from the squad room by a glass partition. Cops hold high-level interdepartmental meetings in deserted parking lots at 2am. Serial killers form small armies and meet in Duran Duran videos to clang axes over their heads. Open barrels of flammable liquid are stored on rickety catwalks in steel mills filled with heat and flying sparks. Said steel mills are located in orange groves and have exactly one employee. Cars go just as fast in reverse as forwards at freeway speeds. You can grab a standing person by the throat while hiding under a bed. And that's not even getting into Marion Cobretti's pizza-eating habits.

It's all insane, and oddly loveable. Stallone genuinely believed this would start a new series as successful as Rocky or Rambo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It may be the dumbest, most fascist Reagan movie of all time.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I gave Debt Collectors 2 a spin last night, and found it to be a very worthy, very punchy sequel to an already great movie.

If you're a Jesse Johnson/Scott Adkins fan, you know what the score is, and I'm telling you the duo continues to be on fire.

If you aren't, imagine a very, very white Bad Boys where the actors do their own stunts. The action is visceral and weighty, and there's a throwback to They Live in this film which is just perfect in every way.

For these reasons I consider Debt Collectors 2 to be a Walrus Certified rear end Slapper.

The Ninja joke was too good, I want Adkins collecting debts for a hundred years!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh nice, didn't even realize Debt Collectors(2) was coming out so soon. I guess I lost track of time.

In the world of this pandemic where you need lean, steam-lined productions and loose release models, Scott Adkins is King.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of, he did one of those Wired twitter question things. How could you not love this man? He's lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uJj5jk3rU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Payndz posted:

Cobra is a movie that's wondrous in its sheer stupidity. Everything is wrong, as if it came from a parallel, more idiotic universe. Police firing ranges are separated from the squad room by a glass partition. Cops hold high-level interdepartmental meetings in deserted parking lots at 2am. Serial killers form small armies and meet in Duran Duran videos to clang axes over their heads. Open barrels of flammable liquid are stored on rickety catwalks in steel mills filled with heat and flying sparks. Said steel mills are located in orange groves and have exactly one employee. Cars go just as fast in reverse as forwards at freeway speeds. You can grab a standing person by the throat while hiding under a bed. And that's not even getting into Marion Cobretti's pizza-eating habits.

It's all insane, and oddly loveable. Stallone genuinely believed this would start a new series as successful as Rocky or Rambo.

The food stuff in Cobra is one of my favorite touches in that movie, because it can't be justified by tenuous action movie logic. I would love to know if the pizza thing and other weird food incidents in that movie are from Stallone himself.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The camera move in that chase is the tits :allears:

The camera handoff shot is amazing, I love that the second operator is wearing basically a seat's upholstery so he isn't visible in the shot. That segment starts at about 1:50, but I'm not timestamping it - too much good stuff to skip any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrRhXItBWc

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Scott Adkins has another movie coming out at the end of July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oip39g3bWrA

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Action star of the moment!" gently caress you Youtube description! Guy has been rocking it for over 15 years!!!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Fun thing about Legacy of Lies, which I noticed when I first found the movie earlier in the thread.

The initial promo blurb had him as an ex-CIA agent but he was turned into an ex-MI6 agent instead in the final movie.

My suspicion is that they didn't want him attempting an american accent.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MrBling posted:

Fun thing about Legacy of Lies, which I noticed when I first found the movie earlier in the thread.

The initial promo blurb had him as an ex-CIA agent but he was turned into an ex-MI6 agent instead in the final movie.

My suspicion is that they didn't want him attempting an american accent.

He plays an American in Ip Man 4.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He can do American but I think it's definitely on a different level as far as charisma when he's allowed to work with his natural accent. He just feels more comfortable and the dialogue sounds more genuine.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mllaneza posted:

And the second one is a truly beautifully shot gangland film with some great brooding, moody moments. And more action scenes by the Raid team, plus one of the greatest car chases of all time. And Hammer Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoGCXWf96s

Pretty cool but suffers from polite henchmen syndrome.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

he uses a texan accent in whatever jarhead sequel he was in, three i think

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

He can do American but I think it's definitely on a different level as far as charisma when he's allowed to work with his natural accent. He just feels more comfortable and the dialogue sounds more genuine.

Yeah, he's absolutely more charming with his own accent. Which is funny considering his best role is him being Russian and mostly grunting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the debt collector was pretty bad rear end im curious how they made a sequel without it undermining the first film tho

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I watched Maria last night. Loved the action, but I couldn’t figure out why they were switching back and forth so frequently in languages

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

That is a feature of lots of South Asian movies. For example literally every Indian movie I've seen is at least 1/4 English, like mid sentence people just start speaking English. I don't know enough about their cultures to know why.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Oh ok. I’ve never really watched many non American action movies and I’m trying to branch out after seeing the Raid movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dokmo posted:

That is a feature of lots of South Asian movies. For example literally every Indian movie I've seen is at least 1/4 English, like mid sentence people just start speaking English. I don't know enough about their cultures to know why.

Part of me hopes that it's only to use popular idioms, quotes, and catchphrases. Like the thread title.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Pillowpants posted:

I watched Maria last night. Loved the action, but I couldn’t figure out why they were switching back and forth so frequently in languages

America.txt

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's called code switching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Na4UvRIhu4

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

brocked posted:

America.txt

I’m not saying “why weren’t they speaking English,” I just went into it thinking it would all be in Filipino and was surprised

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaking of, he did one of those Wired twitter question things. How could you not love this man? He's lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uJj5jk3rU

He was also on Joe Dante & Josh Olsen's Movies That Made Me podcast recently talking about what action movies influenced him growing up.
https://trailersfromhell.com/podcast/scott-adkins/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pillowpants posted:

Oh ok. I’ve never really watched many non American action movies and I’m trying to branch out after seeing the Raid movies.

Tony Jaa's stuff is good. Tech Akarapol is a producer who's done some very good movies, anything on his list should be a solid two hours of fun.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3094145/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr2
And of course, Jackie Chan's entire Hong Kong corpus of work.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

dokmo posted:

Very common since English became so ubiquitous in media culture. I live in a non-English speaking country and it's amazing how people will throw full American aphorisms in the middle and end of sentences (usually sightly wrong but charming nonetheless).

("Blah blah blah and that's the way the cookies break!")

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was showing my son clips from the batshit Indian movie Robot, and the random English showed up there too. "Da da da da da CCTV camera", "Da da da da da AND THERE IS THE TRAITOR!"

The first I can understand as it's a technical term, but the second was a big dramatic-sting moment. It'd be like Darth Vader going "No, Luke. I am [sudden inexplicable Swahili]."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adkins' film partner Mandylor sounds like a fascinating character

https://twitter.com/r_emmet/status/1269656879527014405?s=19

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Payndz posted:

I was showing my son clips from the batshit Indian movie Robot, and the random English showed up there too. "Da da da da da CCTV camera", "Da da da da da AND THERE IS THE TRAITOR!"

The first I can understand as it's a technical term, but the second was a big dramatic-sting moment. It'd be like Darth Vader going "No, Luke. I am [sudden inexplicable Swahili]."

This is pretty common in the Indian movies I’ve seen and I suspect the reason is colonialism.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In general it's not uncommon in a lot of countries for people to mix English into their regular conversations. This is because most of the world has had to adapt to English speakers for a long time and so a high percentage of people in these countries are taught to speak it fluently. It's not like in America where your kid gets like two years of very basic foreign language instruction with zero expectation them ever becoming truly fluent.

So a lot of the time in movies when a character throws in an English expression that's actually pretty true to the way they would speak there, when it's two people conversing know both languages(which again, is very common).

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Also you're talking specifically about India and Philippines, which were both colonies of English speaking countries (in case you ever wondered why so many of your customer service calls were with Filipinos)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Adkins' film partner Mandylor sounds like a fascinating character

https://twitter.com/r_emmet/status/1269656879527014405?s=19

Mandylor rules. I watched Debt Collectors last night and liked it. The fights weren't as good as the first film (except the homage to They Live) but they made the great decision to push Mandylor forwards a little more.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A Prayer Before Dawn is not just another white supremacist wet dream like Brawl In Cell Block 99, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm still upset that we got two Taken sequels and not a single one for the Joe Carnahan A-Team. Goddamn is that a fun movie.