Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Why the hell do you need three hours to talk about how bad an anime that looks like it was made by a focus group of AIs is?

Deep diving into stuff whether it's something good or bad, is win.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

nothing says it as well as this gif

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This looks like a fake anime they'd show in a Law & Order SVU episode about an anime obsessed murderer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Mary Cagle (she does the Sleepless Domain webcomic) has a podcast called Anime Slushie and she's spent a few episodes on RWBY and how many bad decisions happen in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a corgi in RWBY named Zwei and it makes me unreasonably irritated.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It feels redundant to look at all the derivative drivel that comes out of the Anime industry and decide you, as a Westerner, to replicate all of it's excesses but with a lower budget.

It's incredibly easy to shitpost a cliched fake anime which inevitably is close to a real show. A schoolgirl superhero... talking cat... dead mother, absent father... aloof rival with lesbian undertones... childish friend with high-pitched voice... mischevious identical twins... hot springs... giant robot... hot nun... maybe chuck in a gender-flip bodyswap in there somewhere.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, I have some lizard brain because I know of Mica from her stuff on Critical Role, so I knew her name but never thought to ask "is she at all related to Levar Burton?"

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Anime ftw

I don't care about rwby though

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It feels redundant to look at all the derivative drivel that comes out of the Anime industry and decide you, as a Westerner, to replicate all of it's excesses but with a lower budget.

RWBY is Secondhand Embarrassment: The Cartoon

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I kinda liked the start of RWBY based on it being kinda interesting as a weird semi-amateur take on a web cartoon and just generally kind of dumb fun, but it just, never does anything interesting or really, like, good with what it starts with so while it was kinda fun for a few eps it runs out that goodwill then goes on to be a still ongoing serial. Having ducked in occasionally to see what's happened it handles every plot thread and character with complete incompetence. It's not so much wasted potential as, like, wasted premises cause outside of the fight direction and some of the character designs I'm not sure there was potential to start with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's incredibly easy to shitpost a cliched fake anime which inevitably is close to a real show. A schoolgirl superhero... talking cat... dead mother, absent father... aloof rival with lesbian undertones... childish friend with high-pitched voice... mischevious identical twins... hot springs... giant robot... hot nun... maybe chuck in a gender-flip bodyswap in there somewhere.

a podcast I listen to had one of their hosts do a parody of sailor moon/magical girl anime called 'pedophile high school' and it was literally just him doing like ten different voices and replacing what I'm positive was some genuine filler sailor moon episode summary's magic emotion stuff with 'pedophilia', and yet somehow it felt like there was more effort in that than any given episode of RWBY just because he had to actually write jokes and not just say 'remember this trope? Yea....it's here'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGxfNl9C6CQ

Some more news did a long episode on the protests, it's good I recommend it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Phillby posted:

I cannot be the only person legit concerned Quinton was going to stake out Jim davis' house at the end there.

Like a lot of people who read Garfield as a child but subsequently went on to read better things and develop y'know taste, I have a complicated relationship with Garfield. I was a fat kid who loved cats, Garfield was a cute kitty-cat and it was nice to read something with an overweight star where the joke wasn't just about how worthless fat people were (even if it sometimes was). I remember coming to terms with that I didn't really like the strip anymore after that awful Bill Murray live-action movie and I rationalized at the time that Garfield had 'sold out' and was now no good. Ofc now its blindingly obvious to me that Garfield was created to 'sell out' from the begining, there's no point at which the objective wasn't to make a lot of money or to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I still find more charm in the earlier stuff where Davis hadn't worked all if the personality out of the comic yet but it wasn't some grand transformation into mediocrity like I wanted to tell myself.

But still having grown to dislike garfield I still kinda really like Garfield? Not reading Garfield or even seeing pictures of Garfield, but just on a base sort of conceptual level? Like the Part of me that derived Joy from reading those strips as a kid is still in here and I can find that joy again in watching Quinton uncover these details about the evolution of the characters in a comic strip I haven't cared about for 20 years. Also why am I tearing up because Jim Davis put his signature on this Garfield statue in a barbers shop this isn't normal.

In conclusion Garfield is a land of contrasts and this 70 minute Garfield documentary Quinton made is really good.

Fundamentally, Garfield is a cute, sardonic cat who loves lasagna and hates Mondays. What's there not to love?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I've been loving seeing writers I like all "THESE INTERNET THIEVES ARE TAKING FOOD OUT OF MY (publishing company's) MOUTH" over this, fuckin rules that the people literally being hurt most by this system are the ones most eager to defend it.

Is this going to affect the ability to download nearly everything for free of of SCRIBD by searching the PDFs instead of the ebooks? I always assumed that kept going because no one ever bothers to check SCRIBD.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dawgstar posted:

Nothing Jello says in that video is inaccurate.

Edit: Didn't something unpleasant come out about Rooster Teeth behind the scenes recently?

While it didn't age well - mostly because comedy itself often doesn't age well - there are a lot of genuinely funny Garfield strips, especially before Davis purged all notions of continuity from the strip (by which I mostly mean extended stories and Lyman) and he tried to bland it up for maximum appeal.

Found it. It's from 1997. Luckily you can just search for things like "spider" on the Garfield website to find strips you're looking for, because Google was giving me Spiderman for half of my results

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kamrat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGxfNl9C6CQ

Some more news did a long episode on the protests, it's good I recommend it.

Extremely good episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I will say as a resident of Southwest PA, I'm not sad that they got rid of Garfield's Nightmare at Kennywood since it took out a really old ride in the park (that they are bringing back now)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We live in the most bizarre timeline.

https://twitter.com/GarfieldEATSapp/status/1267827167963934732

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

*Extremely One Angry Gamer voice* GARFIELD IS AN ANTIFA TRAITOR AND AN ENEMY OF THE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

a podcast I listen to had one of their hosts do a parody of sailor moon/magical girl anime called 'pedophile high school' and it was literally just him doing like ten different voices and replacing what I'm positive was some genuine filler sailor moon episode summary's magic emotion stuff with 'pedophilia',

drat, doug walker has a podcast?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

also like as a ~*poor small artist*~ piracy owns and copyright should be abolished

:emptyquote:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

https://twitter.com/gushers/status/1269110304086114304

Jamie Faith posted:

*Extremely One Angry Gamer voice* GARFIELD IS AN ANTIFA TRAITOR AND AN ENEMY OF THE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1269083694691737600

OAG is so bad, even 4chan banned his dumb rear end.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Unless their culture has shifted in the past decade, 4Chan hates anyone who cares about something, so OAG would fit that exactly. It’s like a community fueled by South Park political apathy.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

I haven't watched south park in forever but fractured but whole loving hates cops

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

watho posted:

i’m seeing people say this is a good thing because apparently publisher profits are more important than access and archiving

sexpig by night posted:

yea I've been loving seeing writers I like all "THESE INTERNET THIEVES ARE TAKING FOOD OUT OF MY (publishing company's) MOUTH" over this, fuckin rules that the people literally being hurt most by this system are the ones most eager to defend it.

People put forth the argument that authors are losing money, but if the book industry is anything like the music industry, authors probably only get a sliver of the profit, compared to what the publisher makes.

Alternatively, they're like this dipshit:
https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1244011591395356672

watho posted:

also like as a ~*poor small artist*~ piracy owns and copyright should be abolished

I dunno about being abolished outright, but it should be scaled back dramatically.

But otherwise, yeah, do what you want, 'cuz a pirate is free! YOU ARE A PIRATE! :pirate:

Pants Donkey posted:

Unless their culture has shifted in the past decade, 4Chan hates anyone who cares about something, so OAG would fit that exactly. It’s like a community fueled by South Park political apathy.

Honestly, the impression I've gotten from some of various things I've read and seen is that while 4chan is not exactly ripe with discussions on progressive ideology, a majority of the members hate boards like /pol/.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Ummm

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honestly I'm pretty glad that RWBY didn't like, really pop in japan "enough" and stayed to it's own things, because if I remember right one of the gripes a bunch of the japanese audience or distributing bits had earlier was that they wouldn't make poo poo like beach episodes and similar and that they didn't like it almost as soon as it stopped being about the girls in hunter school and everything started to really pick up on an overarching story.

Also the early bad bits of animation in RWBY are more endearing than anything, it was basically just Monty further learning poser so he could make fun, crazy fight scenes, watching the animation steadily get a lot better is cool and plus it's always had the benefit of legit great music on account of Jeff and Casey Williams.

Stuff like this is maximum knowingly cheesy awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_LmTfARno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwohhs3LvRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euuxPokAeIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mQTmXxU8E

Unlucky7 posted:

I apologize. I am just immensely frustrated with these people who go around making the lives of others miserable and then claiming when confronted about it that THEY are somehow the victim.

Still, I will try to curb it, at the very least.

EDIT: No, no. I WILL stop it. Again, I apologize

You gud.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 6, 2020

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Alaois posted:

absolutely perfect prompting to post one of my favorite videos online, thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJ1_1N7F0Q

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Old Swerdlow posted:

Not knowing what RWBY is, how is it worse than most anime which is already garbage?

as far as the writing... it's really not. i'd say the writing is about on par with, say, late Bleach or the lower points of Naruto/DBZ. it's extremely generic and bland and boring shonen punchman poo poo, as far as I can reckon, and while that's a huge problem, it's a problem that it does share with a lot of anime.

what makes RWBY unique is the animation. it looks absolutely bugfuck terrible. it's probably the best thing that will ever be animated with Poser, but it was still made in fuckin' Poser, because Monty Oum, while talented in the field, was batshit crazy. and even when they switched to Maya after his passing... it didn't improve at all, it looks exactly the same as it did in Poser. hell, it might actually look worse now, depending on how you figure it.

it is a show that could be some fun watchable trash, except for the fact that it is actively painful for me to look at for longer than maybe a minute.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

And even when they switched to Maya after his passing... it didn't improve at all, it looks exactly the same as it did in Poser. hell, it might actually look worse now, depending on how you figure it.

?????

The show got way better animated, what in the world.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the animation definitely showed improvement. It still has terrible fight choreography and such but it's definitely improved.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah it basically came out that Roosterteeth has a problem with harassment, two of the women who've left it have spoken up. I'll try and dig up the relevant tweets.

Edit: Mica Burton basically got harassed a ton by racist/sexist parts of the fanbase and RT was reportedly real poo poo about helping/doing anything to confront or drive off the racists seems to be the sum of the most recent stuff.

Less recent controversies are they laid off a ton of people last year and one of their VPs got arrested for assaulting his wife.

Apparently this was where the toxic hornets nest got really stirred - not that I'm suggesting she's at fault here. gently caress the toxic fans, and they can all go gently caress. They ruin everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpjUF9RwdKA

The RT people were conspicuously silent about BLM until she started dragging on the company, while Funhaus (and Bruce Greene and Lawrence Sonntag) were pretty quick to start signal boosting organisations that support the protests, while donating what they could spare themselves.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I use to be a huge Red VS Blue fan until it stopped being funny and started taking itself way too seriously and RT started to doing some shameless shilling like when they attacked a critic for the crime of giving fallout 4 like an 8 out of 10 WHILE THEY WERE WEARING PIPBOYS AND FALLOUT MERCH. Like jeezus that pissed me off so bad. Fallout 4 sucks poo poo imo and should have gotten a 2 out of 10 but these shills attack a reviewer for ONLY giving it an 8 while they're shilling Bethesda products. Like they were straight out of the "Do not critic product, just consume product" meme.

Now there's all this stuff with Caboose being a chud and how they treated Mica Burton. gently caress Rooster Teeth

Also, Arby and the Chief is way better than RVB :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how often this thread turns into people who watched 3 anime on toonami in 2001 talking about anime in broad strokes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

a podcast I listen to had one of their hosts do a parody of sailor moon/magical girl anime called 'pedophile high school' and it was literally just him doing like ten different voices and replacing what I'm positive was some genuine filler sailor moon episode summary's magic emotion stuff with 'pedophilia', and yet somehow it felt like there was more effort in that than any given episode of RWBY just because he had to actually write jokes and not just say 'remember this trope? Yea....it's here'.
This sounds like one of the worst things anyone could ever loving do. Holy poo poo. Why the hell would you do this to a show for young girls? Also why would you then post about it? gently caress you

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 6, 2020

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

I will say as a resident of Southwest PA, I'm not sad that they got rid of Garfield's Nightmare at Kennywood since it took out a really old ride in the park (that they are bringing back now)

Question: Is Noah's Ark still there

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

This sounds like one of the worst things anyone could ever loving do. Holy poo poo. Why the hell would you do this to a show for young girls? Also why would you then post about it? gently caress you

:emptyquote:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We need to viciously own the pervert japanese for the crime of making cartoons for girls that arent insanely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cartoons were a mistake