Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splash Attack posted:

late episode one spoilers i guess but i'm really confused where i was teleported to some falzspawn city with the green hair elf girl who needs a haircut. she starts talking about apparently clones of the npcs running around but that had literally never come up beforehand in any of the cutscenes before. as far as i can tell, they never bring it up again but i'm at the tournament part.
To my understanding there were plot parts that weren't in an Actual Cutscene and all of those weren't included, which helps things be extra disjointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Rainuwastaken posted:

Alright, so Bouncer. Seems really neat from what I've tried so far, liking both the boots and blades. What kind of mag do I want for this thing in the long run? I've heard some people say go Tec mag so it's still useful once Phantom drops, but aren't soaring blades S-atk based? Kinda hoping I can get away with using both weapon types.

If you want to use both weapon types you want either a melee or DEX mag. If you are planning on playing Hunter or Fighter and NOT Braver or Phantom, then make a Melee mag. Braver can use a DEX mag as well and Phantom has a special passive that applies even when it's a subclass that makes DEX stacking for it very good.

Tech attack would lock you into Jet Boots only since Soaring Blades won't scale with tech.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Units. Legs/Sub/Arms/Back whatever.

What do I do with the surplus? How do I weed out good poo poo from bad poo poo? What do I do with the bad poo poo? Sell it?

It's easier with weapons since I take the good stuff to enhance and just feed/junk low level stuff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sometimes when you run a Time Attack quest, you'll be abducted by Falspawn and wind up in that same weird city. At the end of the quest, you fight clones of your party and Falz Hyunal, then those clones are sent out to encounter another party in an e-trial. That story quest was originally in Episode 2, and Time Attacks used to be a primary income source, so back in the day that plot element was pretty well integrated into current events.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Million Ghosts posted:

finally got this thing to work. turns out the issue is GameGuard hates Nahimic 2 and will absolutely not let the game launch if it's running. bizarre.

Wow, thanks for this. I've been having to delete the GameGuard folder every single time I load the game. Closed Nahimic and it ran no problem.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

I AM THE FASHION.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well it happened, after having zero issues with this game it won't even launch now and it's slowing my whole computer down when I try. I can't even uninstall from the Add/Remove programs list. Is there some command line I can use to uninstall? Should I delete the pso_bin folder?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

well i finished episode 1 and while i get the gist of it, it sure feels like i'm missing a lot of the context. the whole talk about rampaging dragons and inhumane laboratory tests don't really have an impact because i have no idea where the information is coming from. i guess it made sense when it was all on the matterboard and i guess you poked around places that looked like a lab to trigger these scenes, but now it just feels very disjointed. i also guess that we're supposed to feel sad for quna and haddred but i just had a lot of questions. like, if they apparently had a sibling like relationship, how did that even work? what was going on with the dragon in the end and why was the only option to put him down like old yeller?

tbh i'm enjoying the game, but now that all the story quests are all unlocked for me, i'm trying to blast through them and it gets really tedious.

episode 2 is a lot more interesting though. i'm still confused about some parts, but i hadn't expected my auxiliary guy to appear in the story quests. it makes me wish i'd been more serious about creating him though because i thought it was funny if he looked like link and i just threw him in the male vocaloid costume, and so when he showed up in a cutscene looking like a lost cosplayer, i absolutely lost it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Ok the Add/Remove programs seems to have worked but it only freed the 11 GB from my harddrive so I think the actual game data is still here someplace but I can't find it. Any advice? I want to reinstall with the tweaker but I want all traces of the Windows store one gone.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
WinDirStat is your friend.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Annath posted:

WinDirStat is your friend.

Thank you it found two (!!) 50+ GB files that were hidden and I've deleted now.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, I just tried it now and it kept my element after jetsweep kick. You don't get any of the elemental effects on your kicks at 0 gear, but that's normal. Once you build your gear back up you'll still have the last element you had before using the kick.

:ms:

That makes a lot more sense, I didn't realize the elemental effects are supposed to stop at 0 gear so I was just making dumb assumptions and not testing enough since some people were saying the change wasn't in. Went and actually practiced on the rockbear for a bit and I have a lot better understanding of JBs now, thanks!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Just did my first mine defense and woof. It was fun and hectic, but I have no idea what the other players thought they were doing. We squeaked by with 5% durability left, but I guess any mission you can walk away from was a successful one.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zereth posted:

To my understanding there were plot parts that weren't in an Actual Cutscene and all of those weren't included, which helps things be extra disjointed.

this explains so much lmao

ep1 was so loving confusing bc of this
ep2 as well to a lesser degree. i'm in the middle of ep3 and i still don't get what the hell photoners or luther are in context or what falspawn or aaaaaa

edit:
i didnt know the second 'mothership' poo poo was even a thing until the urgent quest where they go 'the corrupted former mothership' like wth are they tlaking about whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 6, 2020

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I AM THE FASHION.

I didn't realize Rayquaza was in this game

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is the stuff that's in the season mission pass gone forever once the season is over next week? A week seems pretty short to be able to get all of it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s not that short. You get a whole heap of stars from the tier missions and dailies, and you can just buy tiers with star gems. The things worth getting (imho) are on the first page, and to a lesser extent that pirate costume but there’s just not much there otherwise to worry about.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Related question, if I'm not playing a cast is the only use for cast parts for auxiliaries?

And also can I get another auxiliary just by buying a station?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
This was mostly in the three hour+ mission at the end of 2, so I can understand having fatigued out.

The Photoners were a race of people who had a strong ability to manipulate Photons, Luther is the last of them. As they were exploring the universe they came across Xion and thought that she was the Akashic Records personified and tried to befriend her and become all knowing.She wasn't, she's just the index, so while she can potentially know everything, she has to put in the effort to go look it up.

The Photoners tried several times to clone Xion, but the first two attempts were failures and one got dumped in a black hole and the second disposed of into an alternate dimension. (This is not at all directly relevant to ep 4) Xion knew this was a mistake and doomed, but she was also fascinated by the idea of not knowing how something would turn out, so she didn't look.

The next attempt created the Profound Darkness, who immediatly started trying to eat the universe. The Photoners managed to stop it, and break it apart into three parts: Dark Falz Elder, Dark Falz Apprentice, an Dark Falz Double, but turned most of their population into Tang in the process. They assumed Luther knew what he was doing, and this would be reverseable, and Luther assumed that Xion knew this would happen.

Xion realizes the mistake she's made and vagueposts a plan at Luther so he doesn't realize that she's trying to commit suicide. Luther meanwhile got more and more obsessed with gaining Xion's power so he could understand her. Luther created ARKS (Artificial Relict to Keep Species) to maintain Xion's world and the liquified Photoners and also hunt down the Dark Falz. He becomes more and more corrupt and does more and more heinous things to power up the ARKS to the point where the Player Character is able to be created, join, and finally carry out the mission that Xion wants them for. Which is why the Casts can still breed despite having been moved to mostly machine bodies and the Dumen were created from the remains of an alternate dimensional dragon.Eventually Xion's plan comes to fruition, we beat down Luther, and kill her... And then Luther decides that a universe that doesn't contain Xion isn't worth existing in, declares himself to be Dark Falz (Luther/Loser), and is promtly eaten and duplicated by Double going "LoL, nope."

Then Xio, an alternate timeline Xion equivelent, shows up to take her spot as the fleet mothership since he's been watching the whole time.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is Impact Slider for Rifles in the NA version of the game? I can't find it anywhere other than on recommendations on what to use. Aside from that anyone have any thoughts on a travel/iframe ability to use for Rifles?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is Impact Slider for Rifles in the NA version of the game? I can't find it anywhere other than on recommendations on what to use. Aside from that anyone have any thoughts on a travel/iframe ability to use for Rifles?

Here's a good ranger guide for some of these questions:

https://somethingaboutlagging.wordpress.com/

But for your question impact slider is in and it's very good for dodging stuff and does a surprising amount of damage for what it is. Solid iframes too. Stealth shot also has a decent amount of iframes at the start (iframes until you actually crouch on the ground).

I tend to use impact slider the most though as it has more movement utility to get a better angle. Just remember to cancel the kick animation, it's not great.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 6, 2020

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Stanos posted:

Here's a good ranger guide for some of these questions:

https://somethingaboutlagging.wordpress.com/

But for your question impact slider is in and it's very good for dodging stuff and does a surprising amount of damage for what it is. Solid iframes too. Stealth shot also has a decent amount of iframes at the start (iframes until you actually crouch on the ground).

I tend to use impact slider the most though as it has more movement utility to get a better angle. Just remember to cancel the kick animation, it's not great.

Thanks for the link and the explanation. I couldn't find Impact Slider to purchase from the kiosk either so that's why I got kind of confused if it was in the game.

EDIT: That's actually the guide I've already been working from and where I was getting the recommendation to use it. Once I couldn't find Impact Slider that's when I did a little googling then asked here.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Discs are just drops, you can buy them from player shops or hope for a drop. I can't imagine with how much money the game throws at you a decent rank of it is going to break the bank. I filled out some discs for under 10k and they were like level 11-12s or something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jokes posted:

It’s not that short. You get a whole heap of stars from the tier missions and dailies, and you can just buy tiers with star gems. The things worth getting (imho) are on the first page, and to a lesser extent that pirate costume but there’s just not much there otherwise to worry about.

A good chunk of the tier missions need SH and I haven't hit 50 yet, unfortunately. Also, PC players just missed the entirety of seasons 1 and 2, which sucks.

Unrelated general question: where the hell do I go to access the Lookbook? One of the ARKS missions wants me to do this but I can't find a UI option.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 6, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So, Dark Falz is in the game obviously. Is Olga Flow?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

A good chunk of the tier missions need SH and I haven't hit 50 yet, unfortunately. Also, PC players just missed the entirety of seasons 1 and 2, which sucks.

Unrelated general question: where the hell do I go to access the Lookbook? One of the ARKS missions wants me to do this but I can't find a UI option.

It's in the fashion menu, which is underneath weapons/armor

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Olga Flow was just a dude infected by dark falz juice and experimented on a bunch, right? Falz has been the antagonist of the entire phantasy star series, flow was a one off from episode 2 of pso, so I doubt it, though I don't know any of the Japanese exclusive plot stuff in pso2 yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

It's in the fashion menu, which is underneath weapons/armor

Thanks!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

RBA Starblade posted:

No, but there is a reference to his boss music in one of Loser's phases.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

PSO2 exists outside of the canon of any other Phantasy Star game (other than Nova I guess), although a bunch of old characters have appeared as cameos in the JP version. Especially in Episode 5.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

The Shortest Path posted:

Olga Flow was just a dude infected by dark falz juice and experimented on a bunch, right? Falz has been the antagonist of the entire phantasy star series, flow was a one off from episode 2 of pso, so I doubt it, though I don't know any of the Japanese exclusive plot stuff in pso2 yet.

Episode 2 in original PSO is just you figuring out that Flowen is dying because Falz hit him with the d-cell plague or some poo poo and then he agrees to let scientists look at it under the condition that the next ship is warned of the dangers and his family is known of his plight. Being scientists in a video game, they honor neither of these requests and then do weird poo poo like shove an AI program into him which of course doesn't work out because when has powering stuff by satan or profound darkness ever worked out?

But also as far as I know PSO isn't canon and neither is PSO2 which is kinda nice I guess. They can just do whatever they want.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wow this crap where I have to a daily super hard quest because I hit level 50 sucks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Stanos posted:

Episode 2 in original PSO is just you figuring out that Flowen is dying because Falz hit him with the d-cell plague or some poo poo and then he agrees to let scientists look at it under the condition that the next ship is warned of the dangers and his family is known of his plight. Being scientists in a video game, they honor neither of these requests and then do weird poo poo like shove an AI program into him which of course doesn't work out because when has powering stuff by satan or profound darkness ever worked out?

But also as far as I know PSO isn't canon and neither is PSO2 which is kinda nice I guess. They can just do whatever they want.

it still weirds me out that the player faction is called ARKS like pso ep3 instead of coming up with a new name like guardians in psu or going back to hunter's guild but i guess it apparently stands for something now

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Oxyclean posted:

Wow this crap where I have to a daily super hard quest because I hit level 50 sucks.

It's any S hard quest, so you can do Suppress Za'udan and go home after punching 4 monkeys.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Splash Attack posted:

well i finished episode 1 and while i get the gist of it, it sure feels like i'm missing a lot of the context. the whole talk about rampaging dragons and inhumane laboratory tests don't really have an impact because i have no idea where the information is coming from. i guess it made sense when it was all on the matterboard and i guess you poked around places that looked like a lab to trigger these scenes, but now it just feels very disjointed. i also guess that we're supposed to feel sad for quna and haddred but i just had a lot of questions. like, if they apparently had a sibling like relationship, how did that even work? what was going on with the dragon in the end and why was the only option to put him down like old yeller?

tbh i'm enjoying the game, but now that all the story quests are all unlocked for me, i'm trying to blast through them and it gets really tedious.

episode 2 is a lot more interesting though. i'm still confused about some parts, but i hadn't expected my auxiliary guy to appear in the story quests. it makes me wish i'd been more serious about creating him though because i thought it was funny if he looked like link and i just threw him in the male vocaloid costume, and so when he showed up in a cutscene looking like a lost cosplayer, i absolutely lost it.

I mean, if the presentation of the story is just going to be the YouTube "movie cut" of a video game, why even have it in the game. Just link to a loving YouTube video. It's just as disjointed as those movie cuts tend to be because we're missing all the context of anything that happens between the cutscenes.

Diving into the story of games is always one of my favorite things but this game really doesn't even want to let you do that and it bums me out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is the stuff that's in the season mission pass gone forever once the season is over next week? A week seems pretty short to be able to get all of it.

I'm under the impression that Season 3 started before the PC version was deployed and console players got some extra time instead of just two weeks

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, if the presentation of the story is just going to be the YouTube "movie cut" of a video game, why even have it in the game. Just link to a loving YouTube video. It's just as disjointed as those movie cuts tend to be because we're missing all the context of anything that happens between the cutscenes.

Diving into the story of games is always one of my favorite things but this game really doesn't even want to let you do that and it bums me out.

When episode 4 first came out in jp the game basically did allow you to skip all of episode 1-3. When they trimmed it down in episode 5 they included an npc from said episode who at the end of every story cutscene in 1-3 would give commentary on it. On top of that they released an anime last year( not to be confused with the other pso2 anime) thats basically episode1s story.

Of course none of that is in the english version so welp.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Splash Attack posted:

Quna and Haddred were raised together by Void, the ARKs research and science division. That's why they think of themselves as siblings. Haddred is as smart as all of the other mineral dragons we've met, he just doesn't figure out their telepathy until the end.

Haddred underwent an experiment that was meant for Quna. It went wrong and he went nuts, killing the scientists and destroying the facility. Now he's smashing through space and time, killing falspawn but slowly losing control and attacking ARKs as well. The only people who could possibly help Haddred are Void so that's a non-starter.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
If anyone is actually interested in the story, there's a pretty good anime adaptation of episodes 1 to 3 on Funimation called Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode Oracle.
They cut some stuff out for time like the Dragonkin and Harkotan but they make the story work without them, and it does show some stuff that you don't see in the game like some of the backstory for Quna and Hadred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've come to the conclusion that the story of this game is what people are referring to when they negatively describe something as "anime trash."