Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

There have been some pretty cool SF books, movies, and tv shows set in marine environments, and I wish there were more. Let's post about sci fi set under the sea!

one of my favorite short stories is Roger Zelazny's The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth, which is about a dude trying to catch a sea monster on Venus. It's good af and in typical Zelazny fashion really well written. It also has one of the most esoteric final lines of any story I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seaquest 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I'm still not sure which one's The Abyss and which one's Sphere

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Does Solaris count as Nautical?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Tulip posted:

Does Solaris count as Nautical?

I'll allow it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Subnautica comes to mind.

Ghooooost Leviathan!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hell yes.

Nautical scifi immediately jumps several tiers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

(the cool ones)

And I may or may not have written a story where all of those factions are on this planet, under the surface.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

(the cool ones)

And I may or may not have written a story where all of those factions are on this planet, under the surface.

Man I wish they'd did a Lego Ninja or whatever type TV show for Aquazone. I had like all of that poo poo when I was a kid.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

(the cool ones)

I had all of these, they were boss as gently caress.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Seaquest 2021

seaQuest DSV had the best ship bridge in all of sci-fi, based on my totally correct criterion of "if this were a place I got to visit and play around in would I have fun?" Those huge rear-projection displays! Those swathes of clicky buttons! Yessssssss

Also it still boggles me that seaQuest of all 90s shows somehow got a BluRay release.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Cartoons said we'd have an undersea laboratory complex this very year

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I had all of these, they were boss as gently caress.

Hell yes they were. The original aquazone is the only one where I owned all the sets.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
seaQuest ended up in space somehow, so ironically it is disqualified.

cap-n-crunch
Dec 29, 2008

A garden of modest ambition.
This is awesome timing. I'm getting ready to work a contract on a cruise ship , never even been on a ship before. Looking for books like China Mieville's The Scar to take with me. I love New Weird and horror. I am currently reading Clive Barker''s Scarlett Gospels but I am playing Resident Evil Revaluations to get in the mode.

I Will definitely check out Roger Zelazny's The Doors of His Mouth.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Gotta mention Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy. Cybernetically modified workers on deep sea-floor stations. Shiny happy stories they are not.

Also, Demon-6 by David Mace. There has been a third world war, without any real winners, not quite a civilization-ending apocalypse but poo poo is bad all around and the surviving nations are having to cooperate in order to get the resources needed to pull through. Unfortunately, there are these automated deep sea-floor fortresses with drones and nukes and advanced AIs and poo poo that have decided that everyone is an enemy and nobody is allowed to go anywhere in the huge areas they control, and this is a serious problem. Also, surviving naval assets that could be used against these now amount to some random poo poo boats with no chance. Except there are these experimental hunter-killer submarine drones run by semi-AI systems based around reassembled brains of dead soldiers. Supposedly with no real consciousness, nor memory of their past lives...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seaQuest DSV had the best ship bridge in all of sci-fi, based on my totally correct criterion of "if this were a place I got to visit and play around in would I have fun?" Those huge rear-projection displays! Those swathes of clicky buttons! Yessssssss

Also it still boggles me that seaQuest of all 90s shows somehow got a BluRay release.

:hmmyes:

I used to LOVE seaQuest DSV as a kid. I used to want to be Johnathon Brandis so bad. I don't remember much of the show but I know they had a talking dolphin. I also loved the movie Jaws and really liked Roy Scheider too so having him in it was great.

Good memories watching that.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Jonathan Brandis was like the JTT of Sci-Fi tv shows.

:rip:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Pick posted:

Seaquest 2021

Bah. Sealab 2021 is where it's at.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sea quest for why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfq2PXTxSA

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea was probably the first peace of Science Fiction I ever read when I was a kid.

Victorian Steampunk Scifi is a thing that should get revived. I read an Original English-language Manga back in high school about a Captain Harlock-ripoff submarine commander fighting Napoleon's Empire and it was hella fun.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Groke posted:

Also, Demon-6 by David Mace.

David Mace is a pro pick. Very reminiscent of Peter Watts in bleakness, except with an 80s Cold War techno-thriller bent instead of Watts' hard science ecological collapse focus.

Fire Lance is his best known book, about a hardened second strike nuclear battlecruiser that gets one last mission after WW3 has already wiped out most of humanity, and nuclear winter is about to take care of the rest.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Sanguinia posted:

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea was probably the first peace of Science Fiction I ever read when I was a kid.

Victorian Steampunk Scifi is a thing that should get revived. I read an Original English-language Manga back in high school about a Captain Harlock-ripoff submarine commander fighting Napoleon's Empire and it was hella fun.

When I was a little kid one of the networks had the movie on once a year. I got to stay up until the squid fight. I never knew until later that the movie ends just after that or that Nemo dies. The Nautilus was steampunk before steampunk was a thing. I still love the design of that ship and still love that movie.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

If we're talking early stuff I'd be remiss not to mention MS Found in a Bottle by Poe, its a sort of nautical dark fantasy I guess you could say. Descent Into the Maelstrom is also really good but there's not much fantastical about it iirc.

Darth Brooks posted:

When I was a little kid one of the networks had the movie on once a year. I got to stay up until the squid fight. I never knew until later that the movie ends just after that or that Nemo dies. The Nautilus was steampunk before steampunk was a thing. I still love the design of that ship and still love that movie.

idk if you've ever seen The Mysterious Island but track it down if you haven't, its one of my favorite adventure movies, has effects by ray harryhausen and is a direct sequel to 20,000 leagues.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What the heck? I find this thread IMMEDIATELY after posting one of the covers to Zelazny's anthology posted in this thread's OP.

Besides that short story, I've read very little besides Sphere and a story about children discovering a monster in a lake which turned out to be a snapping turtle. (It thrilled barely teen me)

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 7, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

That comic reminded me of how dope Blue Submarine #6 is

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

(the cool ones)

Aquazone was originally developed as a space theme so

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

(the cool ones)

I too had these btw :respek:

Every sub gotta have a compass on the outside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Alistair Reynolds' Revenger/Shadow Captain series is a bit of high seas space pirate fun. It's kinda goofy, but it works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

Subnautica comes to mind.

Ghooooost Leviathan!

I really need to get my avatar back from the rape apologists.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There was a neat RTS about 20 years ago called Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising:

quote:

In 2032 an Earth that knows only peace is forced to relearn the art of war.

Twenty years have passed since the population of Earth did a fine job of destroying nearly everything in one final struggle for power by the politicians and military leaders. Twenty years have been spent building a near Utopia, a society where currency and finance are irrelevant, a planet without hunger or poverty. All weapons have been destroyed to ensure peace. But hidden away in an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, a cabal of old-world magnates: ex-leaders, financiers, politicians, and despots, are planning a return to the greed fueled, hate filled past. And there in no way to fight them. Except this one last remaining Adaptive Cruiser – The Antaeus.

Antaeus Rising combines explosive action with powerful real-time strategy. Take command of powerful aircraft carrier/manufacturing platform. Create military units with your carrier using the most advanced nano-technology known by the modern world and lead an army against the forces of the Old World Cabal. Plan your assault from within your carrier and than enter your units for some third-person mayhem! The fate of world is in your hands, are you able to hold it?

Gameplay-wise, most of the action takes place on land in ground and air vehicles, the Antaeus is your base of operations. But I loved that premise, and there was one other fun thing: the AI that controls the vehicles you don't personally command can be enhanced with soul chips, digital copies of the people who piloted the same craft in the last war. Having essentially the ghosts of the war come back to help you put down the enemy once and for all is cool and just a bit creepy. One of them was performed by Tom Baker.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember an Archie comic where all the characters lived in some kind of future society where everybody now lived underwater after the surface got too polluted. One of them finds an old frisbee, and they remark at how lovely life must have been when people just had plastics instead of "self healing" materials. Towards the end, a couple of them decide to go up to the surface to peak at the past world, and they discover that over time all the pollution went away and nature reclaimed the surface world, and I think they decide to keep quiet about it so humanity doesn't ruin the world a second time.

I never saw anything else that connected with that one comic, but I kind of assume that Jabberjaw had the same background. Not that I remember anything about Jabberjaw aside from that one song.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Naval stuff in SMAC was pretty cool and I remember one friend who swore by carriers full of helicopters to maximize the ability of helicopters to convert movement into actions.

Also I don't know if it mattered to anybody other than me and my brother but Treasures of the Deep was one of the more formative video games for me growing up. The Marianas Trench level was pretty mediocre, but the aesthetics and music could be really top notch. Loved the Great Reef level.

McSpanky posted:

Gameplay-wise, most of the action takes place on land in ground and air vehicles, the Antaeus is your base of operations. But I loved that premise, and there was one other fun thing: the AI that controls the vehicles you don't personally command can be enhanced with soul chips, digital copies of the people who piloted the same craft in the last war. Having essentially the ghosts of the war come back to help you put down the enemy once and for all is cool and just a bit creepy. One of them was performed by Tom Baker.

This loving slaps, I'd never heard of it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
If you haven't played Subnautica, at least give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA&list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGBJGlBqXwYnv7nX8LhleCO&index=2&t=0s

Follow link for full playlist.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Never played that game, but IIRC it was written by Warren Ellis.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This thread is cool and I'm learning stuff

So is there a line between techno-thriller and sci fi? Clive Cussler recently passed away, and while you might not think much of the dude as a writer, he used his money from writing a million Dirk Pitt novels to fund real oceanic exploring, and knew his poo poo. Kinda like if Dan Brown actually understood....hm. I dunno, something. When a writer has his hot woman physicist confused as to why her cellphone doesn't work under a cyclotron, you understand how Of Vinci Code got its title

Anyway Dirk Pitt rolled on the ocean floor in futuristic sub-bots

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dirk Pitt is basically James Bond/Indiana Jones airport fiction for nautical nerds. Dude lives in a warehouse which is basically his Batcave of trophies from his adventures including a collection of antique cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frank Herbert of Dune fame wrote one called The Dragon in the Sea later retitled Under Pressure that was a spy hunt on a submarine while the sub was stealing oil from an undersea Russian oilfield. Very Cold War.