Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The Walrus posted:

long shot but would any us folks be able to buy a few of these and ship to Canada for Cleo? Finding it impossible to find an equivalent product that I can buy here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00416I40M

edit: I can of course throw you some cash to make it worth your time

Silly question but wouldn't a regular ice pack achieve the same general purpose ?

Anyway, pictures:

A moment of respite. A chance to steel oneself against the coming horrors.

Towering, fierce, terrible. Nightmare made material!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Even the bunny can't believe the horror it unleashed on the world.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Silly question but wouldn't a regular ice pack achieve the same general purpose ?

Anyway, pictures:

A moment of respite. A chance to steel oneself against the coming horrors.

Towering, fierce, terrible. Nightmare made material!

Ice packs are pretty thin, a bun could easily chew through. These seem a bit more durable and I haven't read any reviews that mention buns destroying them. Also, the shape of these I can tell my bun will take advantage of. A goon PMed me to help out so thanks!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I stood still for too long last night and cleo flopped on my foot. god i love her.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yo, the wild rabbit population in my area has EXPLODED with the quarantine. Every night I go for a walk with my neighbor and I count probably upwards of forty, fifty rabbits. This area (Boston) always had a lot but now it’s unreal, and they’re super impudent too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yo, the wild rabbit population in my area has EXPLODED with the quarantine. Every night I go for a walk with my neighbor and I count probably upwards of forty, fifty rabbits. This area (Boston) always had a lot but now it’s unreal, and they’re super impudent too.

Tangential but I work on a now-empty college campus and the squirrels have become depressingly desperate now that there's not the detritus left by students for them to sift for food. One literally walked up to me and put his paw on my shoe and looked up at me like Oliver Twist.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm not crying, you're crying, shut up

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there such thing as an angry or scared binky? Sometimes when we roll a toy at Lil or if my wife does spiderhands on the floor near her she binkies around a bunch and we can't tell if it's play or if she hates it so we don't really "play" with her much.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
No. If Lil was scared, she would run away and hide, not binky.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

grack posted:

No. If Lil was scared, she would run away and hide, not binky.

That's what originally made us wonder about it, the binkies were sometimes followed by bolting to the other side of the apartment which we thought meant she wanted us to chase her (she would still run right up to us if we followed her). We didn't want to assume that though and just be doggedly pursuing our terrified rabbit through the apartment chucking tennis balls at her.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if they're not a lop read up on ear position, it will tell you a lot about your rab's mood. Generally if they're feeling adventurous or playful their inner ear will be generally pointed forward, and if they're really curious they'll angle their ears forward entirely like little antennas. If they are scared generally the ears are together, turned sideways, and often flattened back to a degree depending on discomfort level. Also look out for hunching the back or backing into corners. Generally a bun will let you know when they're scared, and also hold a grudge for a while.

That said, just don't roll balls at her too quickly, sometimes we'll gently roll an oxbow timothy hay ball towards cleo but never at her and never too quickly. She should see it coming and not be startled. Same goes for anything else you do - stuff that you do to play with dogs generally won't work with rabbits. Look for some rabbit friendly ways to stimulate her and 'play'. We like to set up mazes in our living room with cardboard boxes and just loves to explore the whole thing, get a feel for the layout, and then figure out the fastest routes through it and practice drifts and maneuverability.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^ all good advice.

A good way to think about playing with rabbits is that dogs and cats are predatory animals and rabbits are prey.

Aggressive play styles that really work with dogs and cats will generally have the opposite effect on rabs.

That said, rabbits are absolutely hip to throw down and they do play aggressively amongst each other/their environment. The difference is that you’re way bigger than a rabbit, and it’s pretty much impossible not to have that dynamic trigger predator avoidance instincts— except for the rare, like, super chad rabbit that boxes strangers’ feet and tackles everything.

That doesn’t happen with dogs/cats, my hunch is that the size difference cements the familial/parental relationship.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Unfortunately she's a lop! We mainly were asking because we've had her for a long time and some of her expressions do double or triple duty. She is obsessed with getting her head petted and will often honk the whole time someone is petting her, but then honks exactly the same way when we are trimming her nails which she absolutely despises. We mostly just wanted to know if there were cases where a binky was a fear response since it can also look like she's been startled when she popcorns 3 feet in the air. We also never actually chuck a ball at her! We always roll it slowly and into her line of site.

Bonus picture:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Unfortunately she's a lop! We mainly were asking because we've had her for a long time and some of her expressions do double or triple duty. She is obsessed with getting her head petted and will often honk the whole time someone is petting her, but then honks exactly the same way when we are trimming her nails which she absolutely despises. We mostly just wanted to know if there were cases where a binky was a fear response since it can also look like she's been startled when she popcorns 3 feet in the air. We also never actually chuck a ball at her! We always roll it slowly and into her line of site.

Bonus picture:

Does she have a bondmate? Rabbits tend to develop really interesting personalities when they get a good bondmate, and having two rabbits tends to chill them out a lot since multiple rabbits hanging in a spot tends to be a good sign of no predators and also they always have somebody to occupy their attention.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have a super chad rabbit that will lunge at my face and try to fight strangers and he fuckin LOVES when I chase him around, I think it’s his favorite thing to do and he’ll actually come find me and start nudging my foot and fake running away until I chase him (slowly of course)

Which is to say rabbits are weird, just try stuff until you find something that seems to work. I’d they hate it they’ll make it clear that they’re not happy with whatever you’re doing.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ok Comboomer posted:

Does she have a bondmate? Rabbits tend to develop really interesting personalities when they get a good bondmate, and having two rabbits tends to chill them out a lot since multiple rabbits hanging in a spot tends to be a good sign of no predators and also they always have somebody to occupy their attention.

Unfortunately no (it's a, uh, point of contention in the household), she's very very chill already but I would love to see what she would be like with a bondmate. She's very sweet and just wants you to sit on the floor so she can flop against your leg. She was surrendered to a humane society when she was about 1 and I don't have any idea what her life was like before we got her, but she is the best-behaved rabbit I've ever heard of besides her penchant for phone chargers and leather shoes which is on us not her. That and the fact that she likes to bring hay from her pen out into the apartment and scatter it all over the loving place.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Unfortunately no (it's a, uh, point of contention in the household), she's very very chill already but I would love to see what she would be like with a bondmate. She's very sweet and just wants you to sit on the floor so she can flop against your leg. She was surrendered to a humane society when she was about 1 and I don't have any idea what her life was like before we got her, but she is the best-behaved rabbit I've ever heard of besides her penchant for phone chargers and leather shoes which is on us not her. That and the fact that she likes to bring hay from her pen out into the apartment and scatter it all over the loving place.

If y'all are worried about the additional workload/cost/space, graduating from one rab to two is exponentially easier than going from zero rabs to one. It's like with cats, and the spectrum of behaviors it unlocks is super worth it to me. But the load definitely doesn't scale 2x.

Plus you get to do rabbit matchmaking if you do it through your local rabbit rescue, and who doesn't want to meet a bunch of cool buns?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RichterIX posted:

She'll be okay if she's an only rabbit. It sounds like she's very friendly with you, and that means she's happy.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
We adopted two rabbits yesterday

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deadite posted:

We adopted two rabbits yesterday

Omg they’re gorgeous. Siblings?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Omg they’re gorgeous. Siblings?

It’s a mother and son. Right now I can only tell them apart because the son has one white paw.

This is our first time with bonded rabbits and it’s interesting. They don’t seem to demand as much attention as our previous rabbit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deadite posted:

It’s a mother and son. Right now I can only tell them apart because the son has one white paw.

This is our first time with bonded rabbits and it’s interesting. They don’t seem to demand as much attention as our previous rabbit.

Yup! They’ll constantly entertain each other and do a lot to keep one another groomed

Also they’re probably gonna be shy around you guys for the first while, but at least you’re not trying to bond them to each other and get them used to you too.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
These rabbits are so quiet that it is creeping me out a little. I’ll be alone in a room doing something, and then I’ll turn around and they are suddenly both standing there staring at me.

My previous rabbit was heavy enough that I could hear her walking around, but these two are so small that they’re completely silent.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I mean they do look like 2 little ninjas. Conspicuous clouds of smoke should be your cue that they're sneaking around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Deadite posted:

These rabbits are so quiet that it is creeping me out a little. I’ll be alone in a room doing something, and then I’ll turn around and they are suddenly both standing there staring at me.

My previous rabbit was heavy enough that I could hear her walking around, but these two are so small that they’re completely silent.

They're just letting you know what they're capable of.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The boy rabbit is really resistant to letting anyone pet him, and if I try to pet him he will flatten his body down against the ground and crawl away. He’s really good at timing it too and can lower his body at the same rate I lower my hand, so I never actually make contact with him.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

A lot of rabbits don't care for body pets. This is why you pet the nose and top of head.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Remora posted:

A lot of rabbits don't care for body pets. This is why you pet the nose and top of head.

I always go for the head but he’s too quick. He just ducks and then crawls out of reach.

The other rabbit loves getting her head petted though, so at least I can pet one of them.

Edit: he’s not running away or thumping his feet or hiding from me, he’s just limboing under my hand when I go in for a pet. It’s annoying because every time I enter the room he runs up to me and stands up at my feet, and I want to pet that fuzzy head

Deadite fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Make sure he can actually see your hand, he might see something coming towards him but not understanding exactly what it is

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Honestly that might just be an acclimation and time thing. Give him a month or so to warm up to the space and to you guys.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I dug up some old pictures and this one just cracks me up:

Was my mom's rabbit, looks a bit like Cleo now that I think about it. (just more french obviously :allears:)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I noticed that Bert & Ernie were pushing their pen outward so that they could sit on the hardwood instead of the carpet. So I got them some ceramic tiles! Bert has accepted the cooling embrace of the tile, but Ernie is still checking it out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this is a pretty excellent Cleo video https://www.reddit.com/r/Rabbits/comments/h0xteh/cleo_does_phantom_scratches_with_her_missing_hind/

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Applesauce is too small for head pets but he likes being kneaded around while sitting next to me. Like, that’s not projection, if I stop then he scoots under my hand for more.

what he does not like is being poked in the butt to make him stop licking the pillows

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can see the murder in it's eyes...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ajax continues to test me by jumping up onto his cage and any attempts to stop him have failed, even moving the cage will just delay him. he'll figure it out one way or another.

so ive just decided to pad the top of it and make sure he can't hurt himself anywhere unless he falls off of it somehow

for the longest time i thought he just liked the hay box because he would jump up into it so i put it on the ground to let him hang out on the ground

that didnt work he just likes being up top i guess

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

ajax continues to test me by jumping up onto his cage and any attempts to stop him have failed, even moving the cage will just delay him. he'll figure it out one way or another.

so ive just decided to pad the top of it and make sure he can't hurt himself anywhere unless he falls off of it somehow

for the longest time i thought he just liked the hay box because he would jump up into it so i put it on the ground to let him hang out on the ground

that didnt work he just likes being up top i guess

Many rabbits like to be able to get up high so they can survey their lands/spot predators or intruders/so on, as long as they feel safe enough to do so. Idk that they all do it (they all periscope/telescope tho), it might be a personality trait that only a certain percentage of rabs develop. Every group/pair tends to have one go-to sentry though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are there things I can do to make it safer for him? I've like triple layered blankets up there and there's this tile for support for the pellets/etc

he can't fall into any of the cage gaps and the blankets fall over every edge of the cage so he shouldn't get his foot caught if he decides to jump off for some reason, although he always jumps back onto the couch anyway

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I once caught Tobias on top of a full-height bookcase. He pushed in the books on the shelf above him so he'd have somewhere to put his butt, then mantled his way up into that space, and repeated until he got to the top.

I have no idea what his exit strategy was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
we JUST installed a bookcase next to our desks and it's about 6 feet. i'm worried eventually he'll try and scale it

i feel like if they land on their feet rabbits are designed to deal with falls far higher than six feet so im sure he would have been fine, but still yeah i have no idea what the plan was

ajax also hates it if we try to pick him up so if he ever gets stuck he's on his own