Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

let me hang out with ethan waber and maia

i cant fuckin believe psu has a better story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ardeem posted:

It's any S hard quest, so you can do Suppress Za'udan and go home after punching 4 monkeys.

That probably should have dawned on me. I pushed through the daily expedition (abandoned mine) so it was rough as hell.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Does anyone know if you can make another character if you delete one of your free ones? I know if you delete a character when you have 4 or more you lose the slot but what if you have 3 or less?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fereydun posted:

let me hang out with ethan waber and maia

i cant fuckin believe psu has a better story

Ethan, Karen, Laia, Vivienne and Lumia are partner characters and e-trial goofballs later on.

Also no, no it loving does not. PSO2 does not yet have a race of genetically engineered space furries made to be strip mine slaves.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

LightningSquid posted:

Does anyone know if you can make another character if you delete one of your free ones? I know if you delete a character when you have 4 or more you lose the slot but what if you have 3 or less?
Deleting one if you have just three will open up the slot. You'll be fine.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

LightningSquid posted:

The initial 3 free character slots will always be available to you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh good, the deletion message made it sound like like I was about to lose my slot.

What's the advantage to new character vs. just swapping classes? Access to extra dailies/weeklies? Don't gotta buy a second mag?

With swapping classes, could you theoretically do a bunch of high xp orders & daily missions, then swap to different class and cash them in?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can you get respec passes via the ARKS missions right now, or are we completely poo poo out of luck until they decide they've made big enough changes to some skills to hand one out for free?

Oxyclean posted:

What's the advantage to new character vs. just swapping classes? Access to extra dailies/weeklies? Don't gotta buy a second mag?

Yes to both. They also get individual character storage.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 7, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like the PSO2 story. Episode 1 is pretty rough but there's a lot of payoff in Episode 2 and 3.

Oxyclean posted:

With swapping classes, could you theoretically do a bunch of high xp orders & daily missions, then swap to different class and cash them in?

Yes but there is some scaling when it comes to rewards. If you swap to a much lower level class the exp rewards will go down.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A level 1 class turning in the daily missions jumps straight up to 24 or so, it's great.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Couldn't they have just stripped out whatever it was that forced you to grind missions to advance the story and instead have you run into the story beats instantly in missions (from the description given so far, it sounded like you had to find X things before you would run into npc's that'd give you the next bit of story?) rather than just have a video player to go through them all, missing a shitton of context?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Haven't played in a few days and I come back to play tonight and after updating everything, the game runs like rear end again even with the tweaker.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Couldn't they have just stripped out whatever it was that forced you to grind missions to advance the story and instead have you run into the story beats instantly in missions (from the description given so far, it sounded like you had to find X things before you would run into npc's that'd give you the next bit of story?) rather than just have a video player to go through them all, missing a shitton of context?

There's actually very little context missing. The way it used to work is that you ran around in a free field and sometimes a blue/gold tablet would appear, and interacting with it gave you a cutscene. They just cut out the step of needing to farm out free explores in order to find the scenes

Also it sucked because a couple of those scenes only showed up after beating one of the raid bosses, so you'd have to wait for one of those to show up while you were online if you wanted to see that scene

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm relatively early in Episode 2 and I'm wondering how one of these scenes played out in the old system where you actually had to go places to see things: How does the player character intentionally travel back in time to save Theodor's friend whose name I completely blanked on? Like, as an in-game thing. It even takes place in the City map and triggers an entire gameplay sequence so you couldn't have just walked into a tablet or whatever...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mordiceius posted:

I've come to the conclusion that the story of this game is what people are referring to when they negatively describe something as "anime trash."
Only if it forced you to actually watch all of those cutscenes instead of giving you the blessing to barrel through and ignore it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm relatively early in Episode 2 and I'm wondering how one of these scenes played out in the old system where you actually had to go places to see things: How does the player character intentionally travel back in time to save Theodor's friend whose name I completely blanked on? Like, as an in-game thing. It even takes place in the City map and triggers an entire gameplay sequence so you couldn't have just walked into a tablet or whatever...

Certain nodes on the Matter Board unlocked the Story Quests. The ones where you go into a field and fight poo poo are basically those transplanted.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

That was also a normal story quest back then

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It really is surprising that they put as much work into the va as they did. It's pretty good as far as that goes, but its still confusing and tucked out of the way besides.

I can confirm that the anime is probably your best bet for getting a grip on the story. I've see like half of it, and now I actually have a decent idea of whats going on in e1. It's also on Hulu, for the record

Edit: the other PSO2 anime though, oh man. Literally just a long-form ad for the game, its cute how trashy it is

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 7, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Edit: the other PSO2 anime though, oh man. Literally just a long-form ad for the game, its cute how trashy it is

The only good part is when the guy has a monomate and fiercely shits afterwards

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm getting ready to lay down some serious cash for a set of Saiki units and augments for them, but I'm having a really hard time deciding which of my two 75s to really invest in, my Bouncer or my Gunner.

I really love my Bouncer, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm not playing it right. I spend the vast majority of my time just doing normal attacks to power up my focus so I can do giant Jetsweep Kicks, pretty much only using Grand Wave to fly around between targets. I'm really not using Techniques at all other than to change my attack elements and using Resta when I do wind up getting smacked. It's super fun, and I love the playstyle, but I'm worried that I'm only using part of the kit and not pulling my weight in stuff like Ultimates. My concern is that to play the class well, I really need to be doing stuff like chaining PAs into techniques and stuff like that, which isn't really how I want to play and would probably make me lean more towards Gunner.

Gunner on the other hand, feels like it loses a lot of the Bouncer jet boot mobility (although it's still pretty good), has an inferior weapon action and doesn't have Resta which is a bummer, but its mechanic to deal huge damage is pretty simple, get up close, mark the target with chain if it's a boss or something that'll live long enough, and beat on it until you have a big enough chain to splatter it with PAs. However, I've found I have a much harder time avoiding damage in Ultimates since it feels like it's harder to get into hard to hit locations with Grim Barrage as opposed to Grand Wave, and the Bouncer feels like it gets a lot more invuln frames from both its attacks and its weapon action.

Am I missing anything here? I'd love to hear from anybody to plays either / both and get your perspective.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm getting ready to lay down some serious cash for a set of Saiki units and augments for them, but I'm having a really hard time deciding which of my two 75s to really invest in, my Bouncer or my Gunner.

I really love my Bouncer, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm not playing it right. I spend the vast majority of my time just doing normal attacks to power up my focus so I can do giant Jetsweep Kicks, pretty much only using Grand Wave to fly around between targets. I'm really not using Techniques at all other than to change my attack elements and using Resta when I do wind up getting smacked. It's super fun, and I love the playstyle, but I'm worried that I'm only using part of the kit and not pulling my weight in stuff like Ultimates. My concern is that to play the class well, I really need to be doing stuff like chaining PAs into techniques and stuff like that, which isn't really how I want to play and would probably make me lean more towards Gunner.

Gunner on the other hand, feels like it loses a lot of the Bouncer jet boot mobility (although it's still pretty good), has an inferior weapon action and doesn't have Resta which is a bummer, but its mechanic to deal huge damage is pretty simple, get up close, mark the target with chain if it's a boss or something that'll live long enough, and beat on it until you have a big enough chain to splatter it with PAs. However, I've found I have a much harder time avoiding damage in Ultimates since it feels like it's harder to get into hard to hit locations with Grim Barrage as opposed to Grand Wave, and the Bouncer feels like it gets a lot more invuln frames from both its attacks and its weapon action.

Am I missing anything here? I'd love to hear from anybody to plays either / both and get your perspective.

if you buy saikis, just outfit them for all attack, since mastery is cheap right now. Mastery + HP + Spirit would be a good 3 affix for them and when you finally get your 12*s, you can just swap them over without having to reaffix

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

TalonDemonKing posted:

if you buy saikis, just outfit them for all attack, since mastery is cheap right now. Mastery + HP + Spirit would be a good 3 affix for them and when you finally get your 12*s, you can just swap them over without having to reaffix

That's a good idea, I'll look into doing that! However I probably need to look into a weapon too and that's going to be some really serious cash too, so I probably need to commit to one or the other for the time being.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ugh, this game does not feel easy to get into at first.

I often play mage/wizard types in MMO games and thought I'd roll a force on the #2 ship. It might just be now but force felt REALLY weak to me, like weaker than hunter by a huge amount. I could be doing something wrong, but as my hunter I was hitting for ~300 or so with a normal attack and 350-400 on a perfect attack, but when I used a fully charged up Foie it did ~400 or so. Not bad but it fires SO SLOWLY and uses PP so I have to get up in people's faces to attack and recharge my PP. IDK. Ilgrants didn't seem much better.

I was gonna change class to ranger or hunter for a bit but I guess I only started with Force equipment, so trying to do either of them would be a bad idea (I guess I could be a gunblade ranger but I'd so prefer an assault rifle). I guess I stick with Force for a while until I have the meseta to buy weapons for other classes?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

khy posted:

I often play mage/wizard types in MMO games and thought I'd roll a force on the #2 ship. It might just be now but force felt REALLY weak to me, like weaker than hunter by a huge amount. I could be doing something wrong, but as my hunter I was hitting for ~300 or so with a normal attack and 350-400 on a perfect attack, but when I used a fully charged up Foie it did ~400 or so. Not bad but it fires SO SLOWLY and uses PP so I have to get up in people's faces to attack and recharge my PP. IDK. Ilgrants didn't seem much better.

I was gonna change class to ranger or hunter for a bit but I guess I only started with Force equipment, so trying to do either of them would be a bad idea (I guess I could be a gunblade ranger but I'd so prefer an assault rifle). I guess I stick with Force for a while until I have the meseta to buy weapons for other classes?

The class trainers (Oza, Marlu, Risa, Azanami, and the Bouncer duo) have quests to test weapons. When you accept those quests, they give you that weapon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to just, like, browse all female basewear or whatever category I'm shopping for on the player market, by type? Like, exactly one entry for Heart Effector (standard color), and then I can look at them by price if I want to buy one?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

The class trainers (Oza, Marlu, Risa, Azanami, and the Bouncer duo) have quests to test weapons. When you accept those quests, they give you that weapon.

That helps a ton. What about getting photon attacks for the weapons?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

khy posted:

That helps a ton. What about getting photon attacks for the weapons?

Most PAs are on the player shop, usually for REALLY cheap, like 5k to 15k meseta for decent level discs.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

khy posted:

I started Force too and this will be relieved once you start getting into your skill tree. There’s one called Rod Shot or something that makes your rod fire magic so you don’t need to get close, and the Talis if you prefer that is a long range weapon that fires your techs from the thrown weapon instead of where you’re standing.

There’s also skills which will increase the potency of your charged attacks making them worthwhile. Until I got that I mostly have been focusing on doing quick perfect attacks with foie/zonde and then either using rod shot or charging when my PP is low.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's also a training mode you can access under Practice Quests. It's at the very bottom. Once you're in it, change it to free mode. There currently isn't an option to make the Rockbear stand perfectly still, but you can just wail on it to see what does what.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's the maximum rarity for Units? I got some rank 10 beating up Dark Falz Luther, and they've got better base stats than my partially ugraded stuff, are they worth grindering up and affixing proper stuff to?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Maximum currently is 12 star and you can get those by trading in a crazy amount of Rising Weapon Badge 2s. 12 star ones will be able to slot in L Rings so you can have potentially 4 L rings at the same time so they're worth grinding toward.

It's pretty cheap to grind up units to +5 at least, so I would recommend finding some 10 star set that has a good set bonus (+60 power with 3) and just sticking with that for a while. The Luther set is probably pretty cheap ATM.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Luther set is basically the welfare set right now. It's pretty overall solid until you can save up/grind up some of the better stuff and is insanely cheap.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

This game is fascinating in many ways, and one of those ways it is fascinating is how fascinatingly stupid it is in how it handles story. So far nothing makes any sense and it also has the same problem as the YouTube "movie version" of a game where you go from one cutscene to the next without understanding why or what's going on.

The old system of finding the NPCs in expeditions or farming drops to trigger the next part of the story was utter hell and awful. The current system is janky and a bit dumb but I'll take it without question because it lets me blow through plot I largely don't care about so I can unlock new areas to punch anime badguys in.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

If anyone is actually interested in the story, there's a pretty good anime adaptation of episodes 1 to 3 on Funimation called Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode Oracle.
They cut some stuff out for time like the Dragonkin and Harkotan but they make the story work without them, and it does show some stuff that you don't see in the game like some of the backstory for Quna and Hadred.

this is the sort of content that i'm looking for, thank you.

the plot is extremely anime and i'm loving it. i also am almost finished up with episode 2 (i think) and it's a lot easier to follow along than episode 1 was. i honestly thought luther was going to be the climax of the chapter, but i didn't expect to go back in time and find out what happened to matoi, or the plot twist that i'm an antagonist too.

i do like the little touches, like realizing during the code abyss part, i had a target marker on me since i was the quest objective. ulku and theodor's storyline was also something i felt more invested in since it was something that actually felt built up.

some part i'm still confused about, like why the gently caress was that crab talking to me? or fully understanding how we brought mataoi almost with us to the present but she got dropped off in episode 1 instead of coming back with me and xiao. also, if xion is just a big planet full of water... why does she have a naked woman body that luther was being creepy over?

i'm definitely going to check out the pso2 anime though, since i'm now kind of invested in the plot and characters.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Ah, I misunderstood how it worked before. It just sounded like you grinded until you got enough of X to trigger a new event.

On a different note, I'm enjoying playing ranger wrong and clubbing stuff with my launcher instead.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The old system of finding the NPCs in expeditions or farming drops to trigger the next part of the story was utter hell and awful. The current system is janky and a bit dumb but I'll take it without question because it lets me blow through plot I largely don't care about so I can unlock new areas to punch anime badguys in.

I wasn't trying to say the old way was better. I just think this way loving sucks.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Splash Attack posted:

this is the sort of content that i'm looking for, thank you.

the plot is extremely anime and i'm loving it. i also am almost finished up with episode 2 (i think) and it's a lot easier to follow along than episode 1 was. i honestly thought luther was going to be the climax of the chapter, but i didn't expect to go back in time and find out what happened to matoi, or the plot twist that i'm an antagonist too.

i do like the little touches, like realizing during the code abyss part, i had a target marker on me since i was the quest objective. ulku and theodor's storyline was also something i felt more invested in since it was something that actually felt built up.

some part i'm still confused about, like why the gently caress was that crab talking to me? or fully understanding how we brought mataoi almost with us to the present but she got dropped off in episode 1 instead of coming back with me and xiao. also, if xion is just a big planet full of water... why does she have a naked woman body that luther was being creepy over?

i'm definitely going to check out the pso2 anime though, since i'm now kind of invested in the plot and characters.

Xion has a humanoid body because she found the Photoners facinating and wanted to understand them better, so she made herself as close to one as she could. As for Cabracan and Camelot, well, I'm pretty sure there's a crime involving genitic maniuplaton that VOID didn't commit, but damned if I can't think of one.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

12 star ones will be able to slot in L Rings so you can have potentially 4 L rings at the same time so they're worth grinding toward.

Note that this is actually not true right now. They have the option for adding ring skills to 12 star units turned off right now.

E: Also, specifically Xion's appearance is in the form of the first photoner she ever met

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 7, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hyper Inferno posted:

Maximum currently is 12 star and you can get those by trading in a crazy amount of Rising Weapon Badge 2s. 12 star ones will be able to slot in L Rings so you can have potentially 4 L rings at the same time so they're worth grinding toward.

It's pretty cheap to grind up units to +5 at least, so I would recommend finding some 10 star set that has a good set bonus (+60 power with 3) and just sticking with that for a while. The Luther set is probably pretty cheap ATM.
a what

EDIT: nevermind I don't actually have enough Tec Def to equip the Luther gear :negative:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

khy posted:

My Force was consistently hitting for 30k at around 40 with the meteor, with a skill that reduces fire skill charge time by 50%. I also rarely hit dudes for PP, and mostly just anime float around while using Gizonde looking for punching bags bosses with a lot of health to absolutely annihilate with a bunch of spells I otherwise never get to use because Gizonde is so perfect for slaying large groups.

Force also gets some interesting skills. One buffs the poo poo out of your PP recovery rate, especially when standing still. Another turns rod into a ranged weapon. Another allows you to charge a spell up and “hold” it by dodging then whenever you want to cast it you just push that spell button. Another makes frozen mobs become bombs, and electric spells basically give you PP for casting them.

Force rules.

It is a lot slower than basically every other class, but to me that’s fine it allows me to be more mindful of boss movement and tells. Or, better yet, just let some random hunter distract the boss while you unleash the fury of space magic.