Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

What if Mao killed most of the wizards in his area so there's only a small remnant living in hiding.

That would never happen. Maybe the evil wizard behind Mao did it.

(JKR is writing so the good guy wizards universally backed the Guomindang obvs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded that there has been at least one take in City of Heroes where superpowered Chinese were persecuted by the Cultural Revolution, which doesn't seem too far fetched.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That would never happen. Maybe the evil wizard behind Mao did it.

(JKR is writing so the good guy wizards universally backed the Guomindang obvs)

the fabled sword of chang is a relic of their battles

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What is the new thread title in reference to?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Now I truly understand Snape's shame over his Dark Mark" said all the young people out there aged 18-34 who woke up today to find that the Deathly Hallows and/or "Always." tattoo they got a decade ago is now associated with virulent transphobia.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Regulus_Tera/status/1269429927776071680

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

TheAardvark posted:

harry got kicked out of school and kicked out of life, becoming a cop was the next logical step

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can someone explain again what the excuse was for why Malfoy's dad wasn't in prison?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

It's like Dragonlance!

In terms of unintentional hilarity, sure

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can someone explain again what the excuse was for why Malfoy's dad wasn't in prison?

He's rich.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

I needed a new thread title and I'm pretty sure for at least one student in Hogwarts long history this process has hapened!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Money, connections, claim that he was being controlled magically. I think he may have also snitched.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Malfoy's dad is a stand-in for every loving Wehrmacht general who got off with 2 years in prison and went on to write memoirs about how they didn't know about any of the bad stuff, they were just fighting to defend their country or whatever

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The first time around Malfoy's dad got off because he was rich and a good ol' boy. It was part of the early books whole "Harry, with the wisdom of youth, is frustrated by how adults let dumb things happen" theme as well as yet another British thing about well-connected aristocrats. While the books don't say how exactly he got off the second time, Rowling says it's because he snitched.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1270150668276375552

Radcliffe transcends his role by actually standing for something, unlike Harry.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So much re-examination of Harry Potter is being done in light of our current political situation, Rowling deciding to die on that TERF hill, the bad new movies, and the old movies that people are more often admitting are bad. The brand is getting rather toxic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sodomy Hussein posted:

So much re-examination of Harry Potter is being done in light of our current political situation, Rowling deciding to die on that TERF hill, the bad new movies, and the old movies that people are more often admitting are bad. The brand is getting rather toxic.

I thought people were mad that Harry Potter was too popular and way too many people were still talking about it, but like a week later now people are saying it's failed and dying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Am reminded for some reason people are convinced Umbridge was gang-raped by centaurs. Probably because horny. I'm pretty sure the way less skeevy and more believable and deserving thing is they gave her a good ol' rope-haul.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I had just assumed they kicked her a bunch.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I figured they just deprived her of her wand and hunted her through the Forbidden Forest all night to scare the hell out of her, but never actually intended to escalate to physically hurting or killing her.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They used their star gazing divination to tell her what tweets Rowling would be making in a few years.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

They used their star gazing divination to tell her what tweets Rowling would be making in a few years.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

On mastodon a guy slammed out a harry potter fanfic where the centaurs were into QAnon and that's been my belief ever since

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's cool how if you're a Hogwarts student who is actually interested in divination, you're hosed because the first teacher is somebody Dumbledore knows is a quack 99% of the time and only keeps her around in case she has another one-in-a-million seizure that is also a prophecy, and the (brief) second teacher is a centaur whose people practice a completely alien form of divination that Wizards know nothing about, and despite being there to loving teach it the guy mostly refuses to even explain how it works outside of incredibly broad terms.

See also: having interest or aspirations in potion making as a non-Slytherin, wizard history, or magical creatures. I like how after Hagrid gets arrested Dumbledore begrudgingly brings in a substitute who's actually a really good teacher and when Hermione has the audacity to point out that hey not that she doesn't like Hagrid but maybe people who actually know how to loving teach should be hired, Harry and Ron loving dogpile her.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
You're right on the other counts, but I felt like Firenze was supposed to be a good teacher. His whole point was not to put too much stock in this fuzzy bullshit and that gets echoed through the next two books as Dumbledore and Harry discuss his Prophecy. Having Trewlaney feeding them bullshit creates the same teaching context. And hell, she was only really lying about having like, hardcore visions-and-portents Seer powers - she was teaching the fortune-telling classwork out of textbooks written by other people and it's not clear if Firenze was just being disparaging of a weaker method that still gets minor results.

Snape at least was a competent teacher, you can make the argument for him, but Binns and Hagrid should have got Dumbledore pushed out the door

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so wait, is divination really a thing that an average student can be "good" at? i thought it was like you were either born with a gift or not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's ambiguous. I think it's meant to be a very poorly understood field of magic. It is a running gag that a lot of Trawnely's off-hand predictions come true though, and the visions she constantly has of Harry dying tend to come true except for the dying part.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There was a fan theory during the series ongoing where things Ron said off-hand kept coming true and maybe he had unrealized Seer potential, but it didn't really pan out.

I also remember a running thing about a specific step in the Dursley's house that squeaked and maybe Petunia was hiding her mementos of Lily in there and that's also why the Order is gathered around the stairs when they come to collect Harry... lots of stupid poo poo like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is the irony that Ron's vision in the mirror ends up coming true- Head Boy of Gryffindor, captain of the quiddich team, etc.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's ambiguous. I think it's meant to be a very poorly understood field of magic. It is a running gag that a lot of Trawnely's off-hand predictions come true though, and the visions she constantly has of Harry dying tend to come true except for the dying part.

The part of him that was a crying baby voldemort dies, and harry comes back, messiah style

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Crying baby voldemort is typically how I introduce myself when online dating.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so wait, is divination really a thing that an average student can be "good" at? i thought it was like you were either born with a gift or not.

It would be even funnier and incredibly on brand if this were the case and Hogwarts still had a multi-year elective class in divination that was a complete waste of time for the vast majority of students with no gift for it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

reignofevil posted:

Crying baby voldemort is typically how I introduce myself when online dating.

Harry Potter and the Swipe of Regret

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sydin posted:

It would be even funnier and incredibly on brand if this were the case and Hogwarts still had a multi-year elective class in divination that was a complete waste of time for the vast majority of students with no gift for it.

I mean like half the thread has been talked into doing into massive debt for bigger wastes of time

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Next your gonna tell me collecting troll boogers isn't even a real job and now my master's degree is worthless.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

reignofevil posted:

Next your gonna tell me collecting troll boogers isn't even a real job and now my master's degree is worthless.

If getting kicked out of your PhD program with a participation ribbon didn't clue you in I'm not sure how else we can tell you?

:ohdear:

E: I got into this thread because BVMW keeps playing Potter stuff for BVMTH want part of what I remember was someone saying more-or-less that lots of people who did the divination track were basically wasting their time because it was an in-born thing?

E2: Almost as if traditional school structures and something as explicitly biologically determinist as magical ability is somehow, like, a bad fit?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 10, 2020

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
https://twitter.com/dril/status/544197494755037185?lang=en

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hagrid was expelled from school for crimes he didn't commit (but was an easy fall guy for because of his ethnic heritage) and can barely function in either the wizard or muggle worlds. Filch was born without magic and had a wretched life.

I don't know if wizards have elementary schools, but it seems like one of the things Hermione has going for her is just a much better education going into Hogwarts than anyone else. It feels like the vast bulk of the characters in the books were just born into the wizarding world, you never hear about anybody else living a normal muggle life or having nonmagical parents.

Would Hogwarts even be academically accredited if it didn't have magical backing?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's no wizarding elementary school, if you're born into the wizarding world you are just completely ignorant of, in no particular order: language, any history that doesn't intersect with wizarding history, math unless you take an elective in that one math-based magic type whose name I forget, geography, functionally any form of the sciences outside of what bits here and there matter for potion making or herbology, finance, political science or theory, and tons of other stuff not listed. You get taught magic, only magic, and nothing but magic.

So yeah I guess it kinda makes sense Hermione's fifth grade muggle education puts her head and shoulders above most of the wizards she interacts with - adult or otherwise - in terms of knowledge and critical thinking skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hagrid was expelled from school for crimes he didn't commit (but was an easy fall guy for because of his ethnic heritage) and can barely function in either the wizard or muggle worlds. Filch was born without magic and had a wretched life.

I don't know if wizards have elementary schools, but it seems like one of the things Hermione has going for her is just a much better education going into Hogwarts than anyone else. It feels like the vast bulk of the characters in the books were just born into the wizarding world, you never hear about anybody else living a normal muggle life or having nonmagical parents.

Would Hogwarts even be academically accredited if it didn't have magical backing?

I mean there are several characters who had muggle lives before Hogwarts. Dean Thomas, Colin and Dennis Creevey, Justin Finch-Fletchy, Lily Potter, Tom Riddle, Ted Tonks etc all explicitly had regular and mundane childhoods before they discovered they were wizards. Its a fairly significant plot point for most of them.

Also in general they almost all completely subsume into the Wizarding World outside of like maybe also keeping up with their favorite football team.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 10, 2020