Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bogart posted:

This isn't necessarily related, but I've never heard of the Xianxia genre before. What's a good place to start, either book or game-wise?

nyaa's LP thread.

Aside from being a fun LP the thread discusses the genre and book recs and such. It's a good resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wuxiaworld has a bunch of translated xianxia novels for free, just check out a few and see if you like them. Fair warning, though: a lot of them are incredibly bad. Xianxia is kinda like urban fantasy romance novels in that 99% of it is bargain bin genre writing for people who are super into it and don't read anything else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Wuxiaworld has a bunch of translated xianxia novels for free, just check out a few and see if you like them. Fair warning, though: a lot of them are incredibly bad. Xianxia is kinda like urban fantasy romance novels in that 99% of it is bargain bin genre writing for people who are super into it and don't read anything else.

Plus the awkwardness of translations making thing read weird to boot!

Ah well, they're super fun popcorn reading.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Plus the awkwardness of translations making thing read weird to boot!

Ah well, they're super fun popcorn reading.
Sums it up, really. I'm currently reading I Shall Seal The Heavens and it's apparently considered one of the better ones. I would compare it to Piers Anthony novels in that it's honestly not good, but kind of funny at times and a decent enough time-waster.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Sums it up, really. I'm currently reading I Shall Seal The Heavens and it's apparently considered one of the better ones. I would compare it to Piers Anthony novels in that it's honestly not good, but kind of funny at times and a decent enough time-waster.

that is the worst possible comparison you could make because piers anthony likes to put pedophilia in his books as a good thing, and as far as I know none of the xianxia books are that kind of garbage

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

that is the worst possible comparison you could make because piers anthony likes to put pedophilia in his books as a good thing, and as far as I know none of the xianxia books are that kind of garbage
Yes, I know, the guy is a total creep, but Piers Anthony has written other books than just the Xanth series, you know. I'm about twenty chapters in and I'd put what I've read of it so far about on the level of his Incarnations of Immortality series, in terms of quality. This isn't really the place to discuss this, but if you want I can PM you some excerpts. It's fairly light but non-skeevy reading.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, I know, the guy is a total creep, but Piers Anthony has written other books than just the Xanth series, you know. I'm about twenty chapters in and I'd put what I've read of it so far about on the level of his Incarnations of Immortality series, in terms of quality. This isn't really the place to discuss this, but if you want I can PM you some excerpts. It's fairly light but non-skeevy reading.

you have missed my point by a mile, I know he's written non-xanth stuff, I'm saying that you shouldn't read him at all because he PUT PEDOPHILIA INTO HIS BOOKS AND WROTE IT AS A GOOD THING

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fresh releases:

Command and Conquer Remastered Collection came out two days ago, you should look at it.

Sea of Thieves also dropped on the third so it's finally on steam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

you have missed my point by a mile, I know he's written non-xanth stuff, I'm saying that you shouldn't read him at all because he PUT PEDOPHILIA INTO HIS BOOKS AND WROTE IT AS A GOOD THING
Hey, I was like twelve and I found it in the fantasy section of my local small-town library. It's not like it's my fault that the internet didn't even exist yet, so maybe calm the gently caress down and don't shout at me like I'm endorsing him for it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this new "Piers Anthony" game sounds p bad

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fresh releases:

Command and Conquer Remastered Collection came out two days ago, you should look at it.

Sea of Thieves also dropped on the third so it's finally on steam.

How is sea of thieves these days? It looks beautiful but I heard it had basically no gameplay.

If I wanted to just play it solo is it worth it? Do you have to spend big on IAP?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
They decided to add gameplay to Sea of Thieves, but it's still about chilling with friends on a boat. I don't know how much mileage you'll get out of solo piracy.

Like, it's the social aspect that saves the game. Sailings to islands and punching skeletons is a means to have something to talk about with your friends more than it is a goal. It'll be a grindy and repetitious experience solo.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 7, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

teacup posted:

How is sea of thieves these days? It looks beautiful but I heard it had basically no gameplay.

If I wanted to just play it solo is it worth it? Do you have to spend big on IAP?

As someone who tends to solo a lot in multi games and has watched quite a bit of SoT LPs, I dont think you'll get much out of it without a few friends.

Here just watch Neebs LP of it and enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XvGFOSW4dc&list=PL1Uou2DWH7IFf4bZTCsfyr6AdqGAOXARJ

follow link for playlist

I really do enjoy a good sailing game, wish there were more.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 7, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

teacup posted:

It's barely playable solo. Two is the real minimum, three is better.

From memory at launch it had

* Two ship sizes
* Three factions with basic quests to level them up to 50 and unlock cosmetics
- Solve a location puzzle to find the chest missions
- Find an animal/cargo
- Find and kill a skeleton captain and their mates
* The above quests from finding notes in bottles
* Skeleton fort with 10~ waves of skeletons
* Very basic wrecks with crap loot
* Storms

Basically a prototype :eyepop:

Since then they have added

* A tutorial
* A medium sized ship
* Arena PVP game mode
* Tall Tales, linear multi stage quests with voice acting, scripted events etc
* More advanced cargo quests
* A lot more types of loot
* A new region with a harder set of quests
* Rowboats
* Harpoons
* Cooking (very basic)
* Fog (this is a feature?)
* NPC ghost ships (yes there were no NPC ships at launch)
* Kraken boss fight
* Megalodon boss fight
* More skeleton types like golden, plant, shadow
* Boss skeletons to skeleton forts
* A raid version of the skeleton fort
* Fire and fire bombs
* Magic cannonballs with status effects
* Fishing
* Legend system for getting to level 50 with three factions
* Four new factions for PVP, hunting/fishing, legend rank players and misc faction with a special currency to purchase convenience boosts
* Alliance system
* Emissary system where you raise and level a faction flag for better rewards but can be sunk and stolen

This is great and they have done a good job with everything they added but it's a No Man's Sky situation where the game has taken four years to get what it should have had at launch.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 8, 2020

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

teacup posted:

The solo experience is euro trucker with pvp road rage. It is my favorite game and has been since launch. It's a sandbox game whose primary content of the game is the player interaction, so it's admittedly a niche game. The gameplay is about collecting chests, but the enjoyment is about collecting stories.

I remember in the early days doing a skull fort and running off with the key to open its vault because another ship was coming after us. We stashed the key on another island and sailed off getting them to chase us across the map and then we sunk our ship to respawn elsewhere so they wouldn't know where we were. Like half an hour later we fetched the key and went back to the fort, I remember telling my friend that the galaxy brain thing to do would be to leave someone at the island and that's exactly what we did. That stuck with me so I'm always considering what would other people do to catch me off guard.

Another early game story I remember is yelling "student driver" on the ingame voice as we rammed into a parked ship, all to give cover for my friend to jump on to their ship from the crow's nest with a gunpowder keg.

I remember sinking to a skeleton fleet, coming back to the fleet to find someone else has finished it and was collecting the loot, sunk them, collecting the loot, accidentally running into that other ship again, and loading up the rowboat with the loot and escaping with it as they chased my now lootless boat.

It's one of those games where if it's your jam, it's really your jam, but I can understand why a lot of people would be indifferent to it. The only progression is the game is cosmetics, the only IAP are ship cosmetics that are references to other games, emotes, and pets. You can do a pseudo trial by doing the xbox game pass thing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Slitherine will be releasing a bit of an odd duck, a 4X that looks (to me) like a wargame wherein you play a 4X game that's really a procedurally generated and interactive map editor, then the wargame itself.

https://www.slitherine.com/game/shadow-empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8XAh8Wii4k

I sorta wait, out of the corner of my eye, for wargames to get tired of playing WWII or cold war fantasies a trillion times, and reckon with the weird, out of balance ways that high-tech military forces are actually being used in the modern age. You kinda have to imagine apocalyptic scenarios to produce the nice neat battlefields clean of civilians and depression so you can have cool WWII style fights with modern high-tech toys.

This one just says the heck with the whole thing and imagines a procedurally generated world (as part of a fallen galactic empire) that cries out for a martial state to be built to fight against other martial states.

Take a look at this 4X-style tech tree, every single tech is military:

I guess it's like Warhammer or something, but with near-future tech and grim human men.

Looks kinda fun.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Props to them for also having a physical media option.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Fussion Atomics

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

Slitherine will be releasing a bit of an odd duck, a 4X that looks (to me) like a wargame wherein you play a 4X game that's really a procedurally generated and interactive map editor, then the wargame itself.

Looks kinda fun.

this game is super good but a very groggy-jank one man operation. it has some of the most powerful one more turn compulsive gameplay i've experienced in years, the UI is merely functional and the graphics are straight out of 1996. it's definitely not for everyone but if you ever thought that what the civ series needed was OOB/TOE management as well as a complex, barely functioning bureaucracy full of unrest and political bickering then definitely check this game out

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Dog Kisser posted:

Fussion Atomics

It’s very temperamental weapons technology

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
One I had a chance to poke around at an early build of that just dropped is WildFire. It's a 2D stealth platformer where you gain the ability to manipulate elements that combine together in some pretty cool emergent ways.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/431940/Wildfire/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SeXReX posted:

One I had a chance to poke around at an early build of that just dropped is WildFire. It's a 2D stealth platformer where you gain the ability to manipulate elements that combine together in some pretty cool emergent ways.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/431940/Wildfire/

So how's this in contrast with Noita?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ymgve posted:

So how's this in contrast with Noita?

It's nowhere near the depth of that from what I've seen, not having played noita. My understanding is that more of an open world sort of thing where this is individual levels on an overworld.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dog Kisser posted:

Fussion Atomics

Yeah Vic's not a native speaker so he makes some mistakes in the English, but apparently he's really great about responding to stuff and fixing errors and bugs and whatnot. There's a thread for the game here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377&pagenumber=1 Looks good to me but I haven't picked it up yet myself.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gunfire Reborn

Was browsing the EA directory and picked this up on a whim. It's really good! Basically a roguelike Borderlands, with a myriad of different weapons, modifiers, skills and traits.
Still seems early in development, as there are only 2 characters available, but it's a ton of fun, especially with friends. Highly recommended.

Also, it's 10 bucks.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Hardspace: Shipbreaker just started early access on Steam for 20 bucks (25 after July 7th). You work as a shipyard scrapper for a megacorp, doing your best to cut apart ships and pay off your billion credit debt. Gameplay loop consists of flying through the ship cutting joints, ripping the shell off using tethers and grapples, and sorting the parts into respective kilns to earn credits. There are sub-objectives to recover specific sets of items that earn you upgrade points, which get you better gear capabilities.

Initially you will mainly be cutting specific joints, but as you move on you get a more powerful cutter that lets you cut a straight line across anything, giving you much more options to rip the ship apart. The more powerful cutter also lets you completely blow up the ship, by cutting fuel lines, the reactor, or decompression. It's not voxel based, but it does a very good job of turning a ship into lots of small rotating zero-g chunks.

Very polished for an early access game, but not much variation right now. There are 2 ship classes, with a couple variations of each. If you wanted to see everything the game has to offer, you probably have 6-8 hours of content, and around double that if you want to max out the current tech tree. You get little bits of backstory by picking up datapads on the ships, but nothing particularly amazing. Devs have said the full campaign will be 40ish hours, and will have leaderboards and challenge ships, as well as steam workshop custom ship support.

I love it, but this kind of game is very much my thing.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m a little confused by their deal with the Hardspace name-would it have been connected to the game that became Deserts of Kharak? Is it connected in some way?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

I’m a little confused by their deal with the Hardspace name-would it have been connected to the game that became Deserts of Kharak? Is it connected in some way?

It's by former Homeworld devs, and started out as a Homeworld game. You can see a lot of Homeworld in the ship designs.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Can you mod in the Soothing Bentusi Voice telling me I’m doing a great job?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is there any better thread for discussing computer games in the Racial Equality Bundle?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hyphz posted:

Is there any better thread for discussing computer games in the Racial Equality Bundle?

There is!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926987

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

It's by former Homeworld devs, and started out as a Homeworld game. You can see a lot of Homeworld in the ship designs.

Huge Chris Foss inspirations. It’s neatly done and quite polished, but did CTD on me earlier.

One minor annoyance is that the ship that you’re breaking tends to start drifting around, but it has a lot of promise.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Anyone try out Space Haven? It's early access but I really dig the idea.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Foŕ the moment I believe the consensus is to just play Rimworld with save our ship 2.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Someone made a Shipbreakers thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928162&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I've put in three hours and there's just something so zen about pulling a ship apart.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bgreman posted:

I've put in three hours and there's just something so zen about pulling a ship apart.

Right up until you can't find the safety key, so you try a fuel flush and the pipe starts spewing fire and there are five fuel tanks right there and gently caress gently caress gently caress

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PunkBoy posted:

Anyone try out Space Haven? It's early access but I really dig the idea.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/

it's pretty good, though right now there isn't much to do outside of building a ship. the flying the ship around, combat, and other mechanics need to be fleshed out more

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Main Assembly entered early access on Steam last week, and plays as a less block oriented version of Nuts and Bolts. You are given a task, and need to create a vehicle that is capable of doing it. The early missions can essentially be done by some form of box-with-wheels, but turn into "how do I rescue this crash test dummy from the top of a power pole?" (a car with a pair of user controlled hydraulic pistons, a hinge, and a suction cup). You have access to plenty of mechanical things to make the vehicle you want, as well as a very powerful wire based programming system that lets you set up custom functions for all of your pieces. Anyone with basic 3d modeling experience will have an edge with the actual vehicle building, which allows for extrusion and manipulation of faces, edges, and vertices, but they have done a good job making it accessible to everyone.

It has multiplayer, but right now there aren't collisions due to host/client issues. The devs plan to turn it back on after tweaking it back to something reasonable. It also has steam workshop support, which is great for games like this where people can make unbelievable contraptions.

I feel it's basically worth the 20 bucks right now already, but hopefully the devs will continue to add parts and levels, which will increase the possibilities exponentially.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

so bug fables has been out on consoles for a few weeks and holy poo poo is it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Broken Cog posted:

Gunfire Reborn

Was browsing the EA directory and picked this up on a whim. It's really good! Basically a roguelike Borderlands, with a myriad of different weapons, modifiers, skills and traits.
Still seems early in development, as there are only 2 characters available, but it's a ton of fun, especially with friends. Highly recommended.

Also, it's 10 bucks.

seconding this, it is very fun