Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Bucnasti posted:

I think it was the other way around, they had to import the P90 rounds and make their own blanks, and importing the rounds was a hassle because they’re considered armor piercing and strictly controlled. That’s why they switched back to MP5s for half a season at one point, they couldn’t get the ammo.

i dont think i actually saw any good source on this info tbh- im actually just remembering stuff people were posting about in the SG1 thread in TVIV like 10 years ago. your version sounds just as likely as mine

otoh FN lost that contract so maybe their poo poo was more affordable because of whatever was going on in afganistan and iraq or some poo poo sucking down 9mm. or equally likely some american politican scared ammo buyers into buying more ammo

the point is, the p90 is a cooler choice for a gun for the show even if they kinda lucked into it

also every time i use it in any video game now i get to pretend im in sg1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm pretty sure the show cared 0% about the bullet they were shooting. M16s bounced off the armor in the first episode only for the Jaffa to get wrecked by mp5s. They went to the p90 because it looks cool and spacey.

I mean they straight say in the episode that they switch to P90 because 9mm wont kill an Unas. Early episode wraith also shrugged off P90 shots by the hundreds and died instantly later when they needed to so.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Why don't all SG teams embark from and return to an off world site? It's super risky dialling random planets from earth. That would solve the black hole episode, a bunch of disease episodes etc.

On that note I want a stargate series about the alpha site or the first off world colony. It's a shame we didn't get to see what the rest of the sgc were doing.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

I'm watching the earlier episodes and I always thought Daniel got darker in the later season, but he actually seem pretty consistent. Younger Daniel is maybe just a bit less cynical, sarcastic and of course less swole

In the last season, he tries to kill child Adria but gets stopped by Vala. At the briefing, he states he wishes he had succeed and Sam says she doesn't believe he would be able to go through with it because even if Adria was Ori she was still a child.

In the first season, Daniel and Sam come across Goa'uld babies in a tank. Daniel says they should kill them to prevent them from taking hosts in the future, but Sam says that if they kill them at their most vulnerable they're no better than the Goa'ul. Daniel then straight up shoots the poo poo out of some Goa'ul babies :stare:

Guess Sam didn't remember that happened.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Butternubs posted:

Why don't all SG teams embark from and return to an off world site? It's super risky dialling random planets from earth. That would solve the black hole episode, a bunch of disease episodes etc.

On that note I want a stargate series about the alpha site or the first off world colony. It's a shame we didn't get to see what the rest of the sgc were doing.

When the Gould started flying to earth I guess that mattered less

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Butternubs posted:

I think I remember them saying that was going on, there were alpha and beta sites, but i don’t remember ever actually seeing them.
I mean the real reason is that they had sets for Cheyenne mountain already and making new ones for another planet would cost real dollars.

Also I agree the P90 is super cool, I always used it in Counterstrike, did SG1 predate CS?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay legit thought p90s used 9mm, I am now more knowledgeable.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Honestly I thought the P90 zeitgeistiness was from Goldeneye.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bucnasti posted:

Also I agree the P90 is super cool, I always used it in Counterstrike, did SG1 predate CS?

Yes, SG1 came out in 1997, CS came out in 1999.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tulip posted:

Honestly I thought the P90 zeitgeistiness was from Goldeneye.

same, one of the best weapons in the game

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

even if a modern SG game never happens somebody should really just steal the entirety of the concept and make the gate a fuckin square and call it a day

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
The best moment on SG1, without question, is Dan Castallaneta meeting Teal'c.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

even if a modern SG game never happens somebody should really just steal the entirety of the concept and make the gate a fuckin square and call it a day

Every Stargate video game has mind of collapsed after funding magically disappears after they either drop a ton of concept art or a teaser trailer for it. The closest you’re gonna get is the Stargate props pack for Gary’s Mod.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

nine-gear crow posted:

Every Stargate video game has mind of collapsed after funding magically disappears after they either drop a ton of concept art or a teaser trailer for it. The closest you’re gonna get is the Stargate props pack for Gary’s Mod.

There was a SG1 game at E3 about 10 years ago, squad based 3rd person shooter with story missions, looked super fun and true to the series and then it got canceled right afterwards.

Apparently MGM was a bitch to work with for licensors, and when Sony bought them they refused to renew any existing licenses, which is what killed the tabletop RPG.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

im just kind of surprised that i havent seen a game w a similar concept is all.

i guess i should actually just play xcom 2 finally

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

There was a 2D era run & gun Stargate game. I think it was based on the movie and was really loving hard

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
For the longest time I legit thought the P90 was a made up sci-fi gun for the show.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

oh but seriously I posted:

There was a 2D era run & gun Stargate game. I think it was based on the movie and was really loving hard

It was based on the movie and it was, at the very least, on the Genesis. The only reason I remember it is because I got extremely stuck at one point and managed to guess a password for a much later level that was considerably harder.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Peragus posted:

In the first season, Daniel and Sam come across Goa'uld babies in a tank. Daniel says they should kill them to prevent them from taking hosts in the future, but Sam says that if they kill them at their most vulnerable they're no better than the Goa'ul. Daniel then straight up shoots the poo poo out of some Goa'ul babies :stare:

Daniel is clearly supposed to be the Heart of the group, and it's pretty amazing when you see him come up against Goa'uld because he gives zero fucks about Goa'uld.

There's a bit when he's talking to ... this is where it becomes obvious it's been years since I've watched any of the franchise. Woman who comes in to be the new head of SGC but ends up heading the Atlantis expedition, I think? Is initially set to be a negotiator/mediator type, in contrast to Hammond's military command. Daniel talks to her a bit about the Goa'uld, interacting with aliens, what impressions one initially has and how you might think of them, but ends on "They are pure evil."

Dude's reaction to Goa'uld is pretty consistent.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

the dhd is terrible because it can be carried around by a small group of people. a society unfamiliar w the gates might discover both a gate and dhd, and naturally decide to relocate the latter right in front of the gate before trying it out and accidentally annihilate both themselves and the dhd in the big splash blast of the wormhole opening up

just mount the controls to the side of the gate so that you can guarantee the user wont be near that blast!!!! plus it makes sure that once you find the gate, youve found the controls for it

maybe get rid of the splash thing altogether, do we really need our widely used interstellar transportation device to make a huge death burp every time it starts up?

ancient engineers are terrible

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Mooey Cow posted:

maybe get rid of the splash thing altogether, do we really need our widely used interstellar transportation device to make a huge death burp every time it starts up?

maybe it's decline resembled that of america and the 50000 that death burp killed a year were tragic necessities in these times of high imperial debt...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay legit thought p90s used 9mm, I am now more knowledgeable.

It was for all the kids who had N64s.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vavrek posted:

Daniel is clearly supposed to be the Heart of the group, and it's pretty amazing when you see him come up against Goa'uld because he gives zero fucks about Goa'uld.

There's a bit when he's talking to ... this is where it becomes obvious it's been years since I've watched any of the franchise. Woman who comes in to be the new head of SGC but ends up heading the Atlantis expedition, I think? Is initially set to be a negotiator/mediator type, in contrast to Hammond's military command. Daniel talks to her a bit about the Goa'uld, interacting with aliens, what impressions one initially has and how you might think of them, but ends on "They are pure evil."

Dude's reaction to Goa'uld is pretty consistent.

Dr. Weird. At least that's how I always heard it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've not seen much of the stargates, but what I've seen it seems legit. One episode involved Dom DeLuise as some sort of Alien who was exploring the multiverse by riding around in people's minds and sharing their experiences.

I'm on this episode right now in my watch-through, it's a trip. Dom Deluise is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't his son one of the producers?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/WgVr7ny.mp4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

holy poo poo lmfao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't his son one of the producers?

Yeah, Peter DeLuise. Also Jerry Goldsmith's son Joel Goldsmith did the music for SG-1 and Atlantis.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ahahahahaha

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Peter DeLuise. Also Jerry Goldsmith's son Joel Goldsmith did the music for SG-1 and Atlantis.

And his other son was the guy in Wormhole X-treme. Also I think both of them were in the second season of SeaQuest.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
my favourite times were the episodes where somebody kidnaps Teal'C's kid/old man buddy/hot ex wife or gf and he takes off on a one man rescue mission where he single handedly slaughters dozens of enemy soldiers and needs to get bailed out at the very end because he couldn't quite take down a whole mothership by himself

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mooey Cow posted:

There was one episode when either future humans or some super advanced people, it's been years since I watched the show, show up and just start a stargate like hitting a light switch. So you don't have to have the death burp.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Guyver posted:

There was one episode when either future humans or some super advanced people, it's been years since I watched the show, show up and just start a stargate like hitting a light switch. So you don't have to have the death burp.

It happens a few times to help show how out of their depth humanity is. Another race that is friendly with Earth builds their own stargates and just shrugs at O'Neill and Carter when they ask how they did it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol gently caress

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Trast posted:

It happens a few times to help show how out of their depth humanity is. Another race that is friendly with Earth builds their own stargates and just shrugs at O'Neill and Carter when they ask how they did it.

RIP Tollans, smart enough to make a stargate, not smart enough to make more than one gun.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I like the episode with odo. I should watch that one today it's a good one off standalone

Also rip rene

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guyver posted:

The Asgard did, grown-up Cassandra did when the team accidently threw themselves too far into the future in "1969", possibly the Tollans as well. (They made their own stargate from scratch, even if I'm misremembering it would certainly seem to be within their capabilities.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think the nox helped the tollans but close enough

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Tighclops posted:

my favourite times were the episodes where somebody kidnaps Teal'C's kid/old man buddy/hot ex wife or gf and he takes off on a one man rescue mission where he single handedly slaughters dozens of enemy soldiers and needs to get bailed out at the very end because he couldn't quite take down a whole mothership by himself

I recall there being a high correspondence between "episodes Teal'C got laid" and "episodes directed by Teal'C"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

oh but seriously I posted:

I recall there being a high correspondence between "episodes Teal'C got laid" and "episodes directed by Teal'C"

Chris Judge seems like he'd be a blast to go drinking with