Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Hasn't whatever that nascar related material they threw on the higher line basically made this a single lane track for indy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
nice fake yellow

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Another "pass" thanks to bad tires.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
haha get hosed santucci

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

All the lap cars conspiring against Dixon works for me.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
rossi absolutely holding up dixon lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good job, Hinch.

E- what is the point of letting a bunch of lappers restart between the leader and second? Jesus, IndyCar.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 7, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
that race sucked

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That was uh underwhelming

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Vasukhani posted:

that race sucked

It really did summed up by the clear fastest car not being able to lap people.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It was an OK race for the circumstances. Still had some bold moves, but a short race and we didn't get the semi-pack racing we like to see at Texas due to the remnants of the traction compound killing the grip outside the bottom groove. Plus, it was the first race so a lot of guys were happy to just bring it home.

I was expecting much worse, so I'm happy for what we got.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tbh I'm just glad indycar is back

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I'm just happy my boy Charlie didn't let me down in the end.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Race wasn't great but tbh thats probably what Texas races should look like if we are gonna keep running there. Running side by side at these speeds is an invitation for disaster.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That bullshit traction compound and the grab bag tires didn't help for sure, but I'd rather that than serious driver injury

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

so Racer's write-up of the event has something a bit different compared to the norm.

after the article Pruett penned about only letting in "certain" photographers, not surprising they went this route for event coverage. wonder where the illustrator was based, or watching on TV at home?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Cygni posted:

Race wasn't great but tbh thats probably what Texas races should look like if we are gonna keep running there. Running side by side at these speeds is an invitation for disaster.

This. Even with the aeroscreen I'm still nervous watching races at Texas.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

neat logo there lol

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/Lgs042/status/1269480063092887552

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FartingBedpost posted:

Veekay was the guy I thought looked the dumbest in the virtual races so I guess I’m not surprised. Sucks for Palou tho.

Yeah, though watching it again it seems like Palou could have avoided it if he was either more confident in what the car can do in a situation like that, or more familiar with how oval wrecks go.

He has neither of those skills yet, so he got wrecked.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Double posting because they buried the lede a bit on this article: https://racer.com/2020/06/07/penske-on-indy-500-we-will-run-it-only-with-fans/

October is on the table if things aren't looking right for August. Given when they made the decision to pull fans from the July weekend, I don't think we're far off of that.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'd be cool w/the 500 being the finale this year

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

that race sucked

It’s true.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hunnert car pileup posted:

Same. I'd be much happier with an October race in nearly every possible way except maybe the weather. Wouldn't it be at risk of cold along the lines of 1992? I know I've seen modern statements that Firestone wouldn't let them green flag a race that cold now.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I think it'd be fine. October is still fairly warm here usually.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

hunnert car pileup posted:

Tony George loyalist spotted

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Not a chance lol. Just given the circumstances this year.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Carpenter didn’t sound like he was particularly thrilled with Veekay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Carpenter didn’t sound like he was particularly thrilled with Veekay.

Dude wrecked twice in one day. I wonder when the last time that happened was.

I'm sure the money he brings helps but I guarantee you he looked at that result and then he looked at the guy in his mirrors that he already has signed for part of a season.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Frond posted:

It’s true.

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...impression=true

STAMFORD, Conn. – June 7, 2020 – NBC Sports’ presentation of the NTT INDYCAR Series Genesys 300 on NBC in primetime on Saturday night is NBC Sports’ most-watched INDYCAR race on record and the series’ most-watched race since 2016, excluding Indy 500s, according to Fast National data provided by The Nielsen Company and digital data from Adobe Analytics.

The season-opening race of the 2020 season from Texas Motor Speedway on NBC (8-10 p.m. ET) averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 1.285 million viewers to rank as the most-watched non-Indy 500 INDYCAR race since the 2016 Dual at Detroit Race 2 on ABC (1.397 million viewers).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dude wrecked twice in one day. I wonder when the last time that happened was.

I'm sure the money he brings helps but I guarantee you he looked at that result and then he looked at the guy in his mirrors that he already has signed for part of a season.

I’m about 3/4 of the way through watching the race and Daly needs a full-time ride like right now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...impression=true

STAMFORD, Conn. – June 7, 2020 – NBC Sports’ presentation of the NTT INDYCAR Series Genesys 300 on NBC in primetime on Saturday night is NBC Sports’ most-watched INDYCAR race on record and the series’ most-watched race since 2016, excluding Indy 500s, according to Fast National data provided by The Nielsen Company and digital data from Adobe Analytics.

The season-opening race of the 2020 season from Texas Motor Speedway on NBC (8-10 p.m. ET) averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 1.285 million viewers to rank as the most-watched non-Indy 500 INDYCAR race since the 2016 Dual at Detroit Race 2 on ABC (1.397 million viewers).

I mean this is good news, but the actual race itself was...lacking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

I’m about 3/4 of the way through watching the race and Daly needs a full-time ride like right now.

He technically does, just with multiple teams. But he (and Carlin) should be very happy about that race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah Daly killed it on Saturday. Nice quiet drive from 19th to 6th, no dramatics, just a solid performance.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They need to make these two days. First day for extended practice and adjustments. Second day for qualifying and the race. The issue I saw on Saturday was that the race basically came down to who got the setup closest to right before they got to the track. Which they deserve credit for or whatever, but it doesn't make for good racing. With what happened with Sato and the two cars that made the late adjustments that caused them to get a pass through penalty, I wonder how many people limited what they changed for fear of not making it through inspections in time for the race.

Also, from a safety aspect, I'm not a real big fan of having everyone hop on a chartered flight at like 3 am then work all day with no sleep tooling around and running pit stops on high-speed, open-wheel race cars. These guys are obviously all professionals but it seems like a recipe for potential disaster.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The three cars that ate penalties before the race weren't making adjustments to the setup, they were fixing electrical issues that apparently only cropped up when they went to fire the cars back up for the race.

I think part of what made this race a bit processional was the tire situation. At 35 laps a stint max and no major falloff from beginning to end (Josef excluded) there isn't any room for pit strategy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Double posting because they buried the lede a bit on this article: https://racer.com/2020/06/07/penske-on-indy-500-we-will-run-it-only-with-fans/

October is on the table if things aren't looking right for August. Given when they made the decision to pull fans from the July weekend, I don't think we're far off of that.

we're gonna have a second wave of covid-19 in autumn that will be larger than the first wave, so

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think part of what made this race a bit processional was the tire situation. At 35 laps a stint max and no major falloff from beginning to end (Josef excluded) there isn't any room for pit strategy.

Yeah, and the tire situation was due to a change in the track and Firestone (understandably in this case) not having testing time and trying to play it safe.

Sato most likely crashed because his usual high line is now slippery thanks to that update.

A stance I’ve really come around on is that teams (in all series, including IndyCar but also F1) should have far less data available and chances to crunch the data during a weekend. Because they have so many resources (people/computing power/models/simulations) the biggest teams can put the numbers they’re seeing in and get a setup out. NASCAR having races where they come off the truck and run has proven to be more interesting. It’s the reason why mixed conditions races - wet to dry, dry to wet and back, etc - seem to be so interesting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Yeah, and the tire situation was due to a change in the track and Firestone (understandably in this case) not having testing time and trying to play it safe.

Sato most likely crashed because his usual high line is now slippery thanks to that update.

A stance I’ve really come around on is that teams (in all series, including IndyCar but also F1) should have far less data available and chances to crunch the data during a weekend. Because they have so many resources (people/computing power/models/simulations) the biggest teams can put the numbers they’re seeing in and get a setup out. NASCAR having races where they come off the truck and run has proven to be more interesting. It’s the reason why mixed conditions races - wet to dry, dry to wet and back, etc - seem to be so interesting.

No test time plus no supply of the typical Texas tires due to manufacturing shutdowns.

I agree with you, outside of the 500 it should be more "do you have it or do you not". Even with a month's worth of data the 500 never quite plays out the way the crew chiefs want it to.

I'm not upset at how the race came out. They've never had to do anything like this before and while Dixon's god-skills made his win pretty much guaranteed past lap 100 or so, it was still fun to watch. Reading the RACER article on it, it seems like the TV crew was significantly hampered on how much data they're getting from the teams because fuel was never even mentioned as a possible issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Was it the best race? Nah.

Was it infinitely better than no racing on one hand, and drivers in the hospital on the other?

Hell yeah.