Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In conclusion cage fighting is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b_z8jvIUE

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Now lets see how this compares to boxing or other combat sports.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
getting to feel like I say something like this every event but what in the gently caress were Spencer's corner thinking sending her back out for the 5th

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 7, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CommonShore posted:

In conclusion cage fighting is a land of contrasts

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

getting to feel like I say something like this every event but what in the gently caress were Spencer's corner thinking sending her back out for the 5th

I was about to say going the distance raises her stock a bit, makes her look a little better than Cyborg/Holm/Rousey because they were finished by Nunes. Then I was checking wikipedia and saw that she fought de Randamie to a decision last year. I know I watched it but I have no recollection of it. de Randamie is still terrible and nobody cares about her.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Don't remember fights don't enjoy anything.

GDR loving owns, she works a full time job basically her whole MMA career and trains on the side while only losing to Amanda Nunes and Julia Budd (who herself only has loses to Nunes, Rousey and now Cyborg). She also owns because she told Dana to take his belt and shove it when they wanted her to fight Cyborg.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Julio Cruz posted:

They sent her out so that Amanda would have a chance to give me some goonweight points

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

rest his guts posted:

When your argument is ‘how can you hate someone when their personality is so sweet’ and then you go on to argue that you should divorce their opinions from their craft then YOU must. be. a. goon.

gently caress Nunes to hell. Supporting the guy who threatens to burn down the rainforest (one of his tamer threats) makes you a loving rear end in a top hat

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive through.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Okay I’m off my high-horse. You all are unironically right and I need to take things less seriously. Thank you

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

rest his guts posted:

You’re right. Because other fighters have been linked to worse people it’s actually okay to support fascism. Carry on

That's not what I said at all but KO that strawman in round 1 I've got money on you

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Whoops, didn't see your latest post before that lets hug

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ariza posted:

I was about to say going the distance raises her stock a bit, makes her look a little better than Cyborg/Holm/Rousey because they were finished by Nunes. Then I was checking wikipedia and saw that she fought de Randamie to a decision last year. I know I watched it but I have no recollection of it. de Randamie is still terrible and nobody cares about her.

IIRC de Randamie actually had some success in the stand up so Nunes went to a grappling heavy strategy and she was unable to stop the takedowns at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Julio Cruz posted:

Maybe a section of the roof would collapse and land on top of Nunes?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe a section of the roof would collapse and land on top of Nunes?

She'd punch it away with a smile and keep fighting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Brut posted:

GDR loving owns, she works a full time job basically her whole MMA career and trains on the side while only losing to Amanda Nunes and Julia Budd (who herself only has loses to Nunes, Rousey and now Cyborg). She also owns because she told Dana to take his belt and shove it when they wanted her to fight Cyborg.

This. She's too busy having a real job to gently caress around with Dana's BS, and it's great.

Brut posted:

I have an extremely strong mental image of this, and it makes me happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brut posted:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have an extremely strong mental image of this, and it makes me happy.

:hfive:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

rest his guts posted:

When your argument is ‘how can you hate someone when their personality is so sweet’ and then you go on to argue that you should divorce their opinions from their craft then YOU must. be. a. goon.

gently caress Nunes to hell. Supporting the guy who threatens to burn down the rainforest (one of his tamer threats) makes you a loving rear end in a top hat

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that she probably does not believe her favorite politician is saying or threatening to do what the rest of us have heard. Cage fighters are not typically known for having carefully considered and researched political opinions.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rigel posted:

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that she probably does not believe her favorite politician is saying or threatening to do what the rest of us have heard. Cage fighters are not typically known for having carefully considered and researched political opinions.

Noted scholar Joe Rogan is the most influential philosopher and ambassador of this great sport. When he is the capo of the MMA intelligentsia, it seems fair to cut Amanda Nunes some slack.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also, "rich athlete supports person who will give them rich-person tax cuts regardless of their other policies" is a pretty common thing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bolsonaro had the Trump thing where a lot of people acted like the fascism was just for the poors and idiots and all that would really happen is that numbers would get good. So it's probably some form of that which got her to support him. Don't know if they helps.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
UFC fight night in a couple of weeks is headlined by Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker, co-main is Mike Perry vs. Mickey Gall. PMP had this to say in response

https://twitter.com/PlatinumPerry/status/1269739963446427650

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Memento posted:

UFC fight night in a couple of weeks is headlined by Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker, co-main is Mike Perry vs. Mickey Gall. PMP had this to say in response

https://twitter.com/PlatinumPerry/status/1269739963446427650

drat. I know PMP is a wild one but that's brutal

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

leftist heap posted:

Reposting it in this thread:

Overeem has got to be in the running for this.

In fact Overeem has to have the highest ratio of fights to decisions right? 65 pro fights and 8 decisions is wild.

If we're talking early 2000s, Forrest Griffin.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
PMP has lost 5 of his last 7. I would be suspended he got a comain, but being a name that people recognize more than qualifies someone for that.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brut posted:

You know shes a cop?

Throwing mickey gall to PMP is cruel imo, but I guess he needs the win for stats reasons.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I like Mickey getting a tough fight

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mewse posted:

I like Mickey getting a tough fight

Same. If PMP gets beat, unfortunately he's probably done. If Gall gets beat, Dana can finally cut him for crushing CM Punk and Sage.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Hopefully Mickey has to fight with a muzzle so he can't bite his opponent again

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I'm going to sit down tonight for a few hours and watch the last two events - any spoiler free recommendations on fights to watch or skip?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GTO posted:

I'm going to sit down tonight for a few hours and watch the last two events - any spoiler free recommendations on fights to watch or skip?

I genuinely enjoyed the whole card. I dont recall a single trash match. If you're short on time, O'Malley Vineland is a must watch.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GTO posted:

UFC 250 was good top to bottom, don't skip any of it.

As for Woodley vs Burns, I don't remember anything being really boring, but if you're short on time you can probably skip the last two fights of the prelims (Welterweight, Women's Flyweight). Some would probably say the co-main heavyweight bout might also be skippable but I think it's still worth watching.

Even with those I'm gonna grasping at straws though, my actual recommendation would just be to watch both events in full.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I'm hoping Jake Ellenberger or Rick Story fights next month.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ariza posted:

Didn't Ellenberger retire?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ariza posted:

Man I use both those guys as barometers of how out of touch I am because every time I hear their name I'm like "yeah those guys are pretty good, wonder if they've finally put together the title run" and then I look up their record and remember it's not 2011 anymore.

e: wait both of them are retired and story hasn't been in the ufc since 2016, am i being whooshed

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Brut posted:

UFC 250 was good top to bottom, don't skip any of it.

As for Woodley vs Burns, I don't remember anything being really boring, but if you're short on time you can probably skip the last two fights of the prelims (Welterweight, Women's Flyweight). Some would probably say the co-main heavyweight bout might also be skippable but I think it's still worth watching.

Even with those I'm gonna grasping at straws though, my actual recommendation would just be to watch both events in full.

Great, sounds like I've got 2 evenings worth of entertainment then!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GTO posted:

Great, sounds like I've got 2 evenings worth of entertainment then!

I'm just talking about the fights though, I'm not saying you should sit there and watch all the dumb promos and poo poo as if you're watching live, those were just as dumb as usual if not dumber since they can't fill time by showing celebs in the crowd and poo poo like that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/1270056778231767040

The plot thickens, I cannot wait to see these texts/emails never get released

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh so now he was asking for more money? Get your story straight you insufferable cokehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/1270064894751039490

It's too bad the UFC put a gun to his head, made him sign that contract under duress and didn't cut him during all his legal issues.

Wait.