Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
So? Put Tubby in a slimming mechsuit aquarium. Make up some biology where Boso is quite old and full grown but younger, normal Boron can fit easily on a Roomba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I have a hotas hooked up (X56 Rhino) and for some reason, whenever i open the map screen it is constantly zooming out and moving to the bottom right. I've tried unmapping all the joystick controls from the menu stuff, but that hasn't fixed anything. Am i missing an obvious control or are there just gremlins when you play with a hotas?
I had this problem too, and it turned out to be a slightly dirty connector from the joystick to the throttle, a bit of 70% isopropyl alcohol fixed it.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
Thanks for the help earlier with my question about thrusters. I have another one about the PHQ. I notice that it has a huge amount of universal storage, does this mean I don't really need to build any other storage modules for container, solid, and liquid? (Unless, of course, I need more than the two billion units it claims to hold.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You can use cargo drones to move stuff from your trade storage to build storage (the manager might do this, if you have one - I don't remember).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hitting Kingdom's End for the first time and seeing a giant green space whale while ridiculously cool and tranquil music plays in the background and an absolutely beautiful skybox :discourse:
This also is one of my best gaming memories.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Are there any good getting started resources? I was gifted this game, did most of the tutorials and found a mission on a station - it wants me to deliver a ship with some anti-matter somethingorother to an anomaly, where it is suggested it will blow up. I found the antimatter but I don't have another ship and I'm not sure how to accomplish the mission once I get one. I started from the explorer start.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

Are there any good getting started resources? I was gifted this game, did most of the tutorials and found a mission on a station - it wants me to deliver a ship with some anti-matter somethingorother to an anomaly, where it is suggested it will blow up. I found the antimatter but I don't have another ship and I'm not sure how to accomplish the mission once I get one. I started from the explorer start.

Don't worry too much about completing the plot at first. It opens up *something* cool, but it's not really a priority. You need to buy a second ship and load the antimatter on it. Note: you can't blow the ship up if it has any crew like a pilot on board.

First thing I would focus on is getting money. Searching asteroids for crystals is a decent source of income. Look for small flashes of light, and then shoot at the purple/blue/whatever colored crystal formation until it break. Sell those at a trader at a station (The one with the shopping cart icon inside the actual station).

Missions can another good source of money. Repairing leaks, satellites, or finding lockboxes are all low risk and give you some money.

Once you have a decent amount of cash buy a medium size miner and get it mining nividium. It will bring in something like 300k per trip, and is a very good early game source of money.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't see anyone who's mentioned it, but 3.20 exited beta, bringing the following changes:

changelog posted:

New Feature: Trade Rules enable improved control over station trade offers, station supply offers and sale of ships.
Added links to "What is X4: Foundations?" video series to External Resources menu.
Added option to import and export individual construction plans to share with community.
Added information about original gamestart to Load and Save menus.
Added missile storage capacity information to missile turrets in Encyclopedia.
Added additional Object Information tab to Map menu.
Added Mark All as Read option to Encyclopedia.
Added icons to order options in Interact Menu.
Added button in info tabs to focus objects in map.
Added behaviour icons to Map legend.
Added ship type icons to ship selection in Ship Configuration menu.
Added faction abbreviations to Factions and Relations menu.
Added option to select Trade Wares directly in Logical Station Overview
Added Start Guidance option to Interact menu of data vaults.
Added Fly To option to Interact menu of deployables and drops.
Added details about mission duration and involved ships to Venture Results menu.
Added match speed indicator to crosshair (default hotkey Shift+X).
Added mouse over info in Object Info menus showing full commander name if name is truncated.
Added error message when attempting to trade with stations that do not have docking facilities for current ship.
Removed use of cargo drones for direct trade between nearby stations.
Removed ability to install unsuitable equipment mods for certain types of shields, weapons, turrets and ships.
Removed Explore order from list of available behaviours (Explore still available as general order).
Removed irrelevant information for unmanned vessels from Object Info menus.
Removed Opposing Faction line in mission briefings if it is empty.
Removed duplicate inventory and station account management from Empire Overview.
Removed ships and stations lists from Empire Overview.
Removed hull and shield bars from wreck icons on map.
Changed Explore order to end when all map hexes in its search radius have been discovered.
Changed location of mission offer map filter to Think section.
Improved names of Xenon weapons.
Improved target selection for pirates.
Improved turret accuracy against large targets.
Improved weapon and turret accuracy against fast targets.
Improved chance of AI pilots opening lockboxes when player not nearby.
Improved efficiency of subordinate traders looking for trades.
Improved behaviour of combat ships attempting to disable capital ship.
Improved trade assignment speed if many subordinates try to trade same ware for their commander.
Improved guidance during Paranid plot maze section.
Improved "Work somewhere else for me" conversation to open map at employee's location instead of player's.
Improved turret behaviour settings in station Loadout menus when all turrets are under construction.
Improved visibility of target speed indicator in speed-bar against bright background elements.
Improved order and designation for equipment slots in Ship and Station Build menus
Improved presentation of player-owned ships on ventures in Property Owned menu.
Improved balancing of Patrol missions by increasing enemy presence.
Improved map performance in certain situations.
Fixed Split wharves missing Pier.
Fixed Fallen Families faction not building new ships.
Fixed Duke's Haven sometimes not selling any, or only random, equipment/ships.
Fixed Free Families granting police licences; players who have already purchased this licence will be reimbursed.
Fixed stations built for NPC factions sometimes still using player account.
Fixed stations not posting public buy offers for supply resources.
Fixed stations operating as pure trade stations only using fraction of their funds for buying wares.
Fixed stations sometimes creating trade offers with zero amounts for wares that are required for production.
Fixed another case of Teladi Trade Stations not rebuilding modules.
Fixed NPC stations disabling some of their production modules indefinitely under rare circumstances.
Fixed crews of mining ships not gaining experience when player not nearby during mining operations.
Fixed ships refusing explicitly given orders to trade with a station that is blacklisted.
Fixed Recall Subordinates command not disarming drones.
Fixed pirate ships not attacking NPC-owned ships that refuse to drop their cargo or comply with inspection protocols.
Fixed ships assigned to Trade for Build Storage using station manager account instead of construction account.
Fixed construction plan Shuffle option using connection modules that are not available.
Fixed accidental friendly fire from turrets on player ship being treated as intentional.
Fixed distress drones being launched prematurely.
Fixed ships not doing damage when player not nearby if they were originally built with neither weapons nor turrets.
Fixed player-owned capital ships not doing damage to non-hostile targets designated explicitly by player.
Fixed ships sometimes repeatedly getting supplies at fleet auxiliary ships.
Fixed NPC-owned ships paying for ammunition, deployables and drones that they already have when resupplying at player-owned equipment docks.
Fixed some cases of ships not flying correctly around capital ships, specially when docking.
Fixed ships not able to catch and dock on moving Raptor.
Fixed station-based traders buying resources that their station isn't currently buying.
Fixed Update Trade Offers command not visiting all known stations when multiple such orders are queued.
Fixed Update Trade Offers ending immediately when new order is queued.
Fixed queued-up Explore orders completing without having explored.
Fixed Construction Vessels not clearing previous orders when assigned for building.
Fixed Construction Vessels disengaging while modules are recycling before new build starts.
Fixed non-capital ships refusing to attack military capital ships and some stations at relations between -20 and -25.
Fixed automated trading ships ignoring travel blacklists when executing trades.
Fixed subordinate traders not respecting trade rule that is denying specific factions.
Fixed subordinate traders loading extra wares from their home base into storage even under conditions where they shouldn't.
Fixed direct subordinates of player with assignment Attack not attacking unless themselves attacked.
Fixed subordinates sometimes detaching themselves from their fleet.
Fixed missing Trader assignment for trade ships that are subordinate to resupply ship.
Fixed build orders on player-piloted ship not processing on docking at shipyard under some circumstances.
Fixed free-flying police and recon ships sometimes getting stuck while scanning something.
Fixed comm response by police when non-player ships are scanned and no illegal wares are found.
Fixed asteroids accumulating when repeatedly saving and loading in same location.
Fixed relative movement stopping when getting up from pilot seat.
Fixed speed matching not turning off when changing target.
Fixed aiming reaction time not using skills of pilot or manager.
Fixed turrets sometimes not firing on valid targets.
Fixed weapons firing into empty space if target is large object.
Fixed turrets on ships repeatedly deploying and folding back when valid targets are in sight but not in range.
Fixed autopilot aborting travel mode either too late or much too early.
Fixed crew transfer resulting in unending escape pods in very rare circumstances.
Fixed one case of crew transfer failing.
Fixed one cause of traffic jams at gates.
Fixed missing faction representatives in rare cases.
Fixed pilots and crews on venturing ships losing morale due to inactivity.
Fixed distance calculations for teleportation range limits.
Fixed exploit allowing unlimited small ships to be stored.
Fixed exploit allowing crew members to be cloned in certain situations.
Fixed exploit allowing additional equipment that is not available at ship's current shipyard/wharf/equipment dock to be installed.
Fixed being able to teleport to docked ships sent on venture.
Fixed returned venture ships stranded in void after rebuilding venture dock.
Fixed incorrect unpaid plot licences under certain circumstances.
Fixed losing faction reputation from illegal station plots although licence was paid.
Fixed not being able to autopilot to targets that are under construction.
Fixed not being able to request docking at build storage when piloting capital ship.
Fixed rare case of weapons firing under player control when player is no longer controlling ship.
Fixed ship capacity mods not being taken into account when adding missiles, countermeasures and deployables to ships.
Fixed deployables deployed via command Deploy at Position sometimes drifting past designated position.
Fixed incorrect resource amounts for Paranid and Teladi M Mk2 shields.
Fixed sector sunlight property not affecting Energy Cell production as intended.
Fixed missing dock functionality on 4th arm of Split 4-Dock T Pier.
Fixed missing XS ship docks on 3M6S luxury Dock Area.
Fixed several hints getting stuck during Flight School tutorial.
Fixed some missions not correctly displaying opposing faction in briefing.
Fixed missing Court faction representative.
Fixed Paranid plot mission A Small Errand getting stuck on objective Await: Further Instructions under specific circumstances.
Fixed conversation option to pay credits in Paranid plot missions Unfolded Potential and An Ethical Challenge only appearing once.
Fixed getaway ship not being recalled from internal storage if it was stored away during Split storyline at Hall of Judgement.
Fixed missing prisoners at Hall of Judgement in Split story.
Fixed plot not proceeding during cutscene to sabotage Scale Plate trade run.
Fixed ships encountered in war subscription missions sometimes being invisible.
Fixed Hatikvah story not always being re-offered when initial station was destroyed.
Fixed Split story getting stuck in Suspicious Split mission if Passenger Ship was lost.
Fixed mission conversation option for passenger to return to Passenger Ship in Suspicious Split Mission.
Fixed End of Oppression/End of Terrorism missions getting stuck at payment stage if ship NPC contact was on was destroyed.
Fixed game freeze during Suspicious Split mission if no stations belonging to given faction can be found.
Fixed Split story getting stuck when tasked to place bombs on cargo drones during Report To Slave Trader 2 mission.
Fixed Split Suspicious mission in Split story potentially missing guidance to character.
Fixed End of Oppression mission in Split story accepting multiple payments from player and not progressing.
Fixed End of Terrorism mission in Split story getting stuck if story character was on ship that was later destroyed.
Fixed Path of Vengeance mission not completing in certain cases.
Fixed discovering Jump Gate to Split space sometimes not triggering event cutscene.
Fixed Split prisoner characters being duplicated when reassigned, which could lead to issues controlling objects.
Fixed Paranid plot mission A Small Errand getting stuck if lockboxes are opened or destroyed before player enters sector.
Fixed HQ Research Module not being named correctly in certain gamestarts.
Fixed HQ Research Module being removed when loading construction plan.
Fixed fleets not being sorted by fleet name in Object List and Property Owned menus.
Fixed trade wares missing in Logical Station Overview if not currently stored.
Fixed turret groups not being highlighted on ship in Ship Configuration menu under certain circumstances.
Fixed inconsistent selection and highlight of shield and turret groups in Ship Modification menu.
Fixed equipment mod category availability if no equipment is installed.
Fixed rounding issues for equipment mod effects.
Fixed station hull percentage not being shown in Info menu unless scan level was at least 80%.
Fixed ship docks being listed as station dock modules in Encyclopedia.
Fixed missing "+" on buttons in Ship Configuration and Player Information menus.
Fixed Trade menu not being visible in certain situations.
Fixed sector map sometimes being broken by deployables ending up in invalid positions.
Fixed Arm/Disarm Turrets option in Interact menu being inconsistent when multiple ships are selected.
Fixed some map controls not working after quick-loading with map open.
Fixed Property Owned jumping to top row after returning from Object Information tab.
Fixed missing pre-selection of certain equipment entries in Encyclopedia when opened from Ship Configuration menu.
Fixed turret slots not available in Ship Configuration menu for certain ships when using controller.
Fixed missing trade offer updates after changing station accounts, especially when paused.
Fixed shuffle function in Station Build menu not updating list of modules.
Fixed construction resources not being listed immediately after acquiring blueprint for player-owned shipyards.
Fixed production/hour value for production modules not taking into account effect of production efficiency in Logical Station Overview.
Fixed missing workforce information in Logical Station Overview under certain circumstances.
Fixed incorrect trade rule or blacklist display/usage when assigned trade rule or blacklist is deleted.
Fixed incorrect order lines on map when blacklists are set up.
Fixed target monitor sometimes getting stuck during comms.
Fixed fog of war sometimes not being rendered up to edge of sector.
Fixed another case of stuck map panning in certain situations.
Fixed object selection in map not changing object in Info menu if Info menu is not displayed.
Fixed ware transfer options in Interact menu not requiring pilots.
Fixed incorrect shadows for objects during construction.
Fixed returning venture ships causing performance issues until sent away again.
Fixed issue causing savegames to become larger with every save/load cycle.
Fixed excessive sound volume in logo video.
Fixed issue where sounds could be missing or delayed.
Fixed further startup issues on Linux.
Fixed game generating two crash dumps per crash instead of one.
Fixed several causes of crashes.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I don't have a HOTAS set-up or anything, just a 360 and keyboard and mouse. Is this game still fun without?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got my HOTAS out of storage to find half the axises jittering and am going to have to warranty replace it (thread PSA the correct price for a Thrustmaster T Flight One is free, there is nobody around who hasn't had this jitter). But was reminded the X series is predominately management. A HOTAS makes dog fighting better obviously, but you can make money clear past needing to personally dog fight and get into a gun boat of sorts instead and feel no grief using the simplified steering.

One thing I'm missing using a 360 controller compared to Elite Dangerous is using the bumpers as shift. Maybe it's there and I missed it or there might be a mod and there's always auto hotkey but I just keep my keyboard and mouse nearby and lean heavily on them for everything that isn't flight input.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
My HOTAS rudder axis is also hosed, so I've been playing with keyboard and mouse. Its absolutely fine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You can't even play the game exclusively with HOTAS, there's way too much strategy which requires menuing for that.
As zedprime rightly says, it's purely for dog-fighting.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What in the world I've got like a 300+ hour save that I pulled through from launch to 3.1, and have built over 40 self-sufficient mega stations, and I never even knew the station planner had a randomize button that made cool looking configurations that don't overlap or clip.

I'm exclusively using this from now on. Just put down all your production modules, an equal amount of cross and vertical / horizontal spacers, and have the randomizer build you a completely unique looking station that also fits in with the design aesthetics of the game itself, since race stations are randomized in a similar way.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 7, 2020

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Thanks for the replies, will go ahead with keyboard and mouse.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
To elaborate more on controller talk, the game just really doesn't have the robust bindings available to make using a controller or HOTAS very good.

So much of the game is designed for m+kb that even dogfighting is easier because the fastest and easiest way to target stuff is by clicking on it with the mouse. Hence, I haven't even bothered with my HOTAS at all despite loving it to death in Elite.

Fortunately, flying and combat with a mouse are pretty efficient in this game and the flight model is forgiving. It's straightforward to set things up similar to how you would in Elite. The main difference is that you need to lean more heavily on a mouse driven interface instead of having every thinkable hotkey under the sun available to bind.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

timn posted:

So much of the game is designed for m+kb that even dogfighting is easier because the fastest and easiest way to target stuff is by clicking on it with the mouse.

I'm sure that's true for many people, and it was for me in X3, but in X4 I really struggled before I got my HOTAS. After the switch to using a mouse button for context menus, I never found a control scheme that was easy to use. But I use a trackball and am not dextrous, so I may be in a tiny minority.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aside from my ship, what's this picture showing? There was no point of interest nearby that might explain it (unlike with the weird structure found in both Argon and Xenon space).

timn posted:

To elaborate more on controller talk, the game just really doesn't have the robust bindings available to make using a controller or HOTAS very good.

So much of the game is designed for m+kb that even dogfighting is easier because the fastest and easiest way to target stuff is by clicking on it with the mouse. Hence, I haven't even bothered with my HOTAS at all despite loving it to death in Elite.

Fortunately, flying and combat with a mouse are pretty efficient in this game and the flight model is forgiving. It's straightforward to set things up similar to how you would in Elite. The main difference is that you need to lean more heavily on a mouse driven interface instead of having every thinkable hotkey under the sun available to bind.
The couterpoint would be that most space sims have even less bindings for things and have worse support for things like binding things to axis except what the developers think of as purely analogue controls (ie. movement, sometimes not even that.
X4 plays wonderfully with a X52 Pro if you start out with the default X52 layout.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 7, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Not to say playing with a HOTAS can't work, but it's quite a compromise. Every other space sim I've played has had a much greater selection of keybinds, with the exception of games like House of the Dying Sun which are entirely designed around a gamepad. X4 is just very heavily designed for a mouse-driven UI with everything else as an afterthought.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

drat it, game - don't make me feel sorry for the Xenon:

timn posted:

Not to say playing with a HOTAS can't work, but it's quite a compromise. Every other space sim I've played has had a much greater selection of keybinds, with the exception of games like House of the Dying Sun which are entirely designed around a gamepad. X4 is just very heavily designed for a mouse-driven UI with everything else as an afterthought.
The strategy of doing large-scale battles absolutely need mouse stuff for menuing, but for traveling (instead of relying on autopilot) and dogfighting especially, HOTAS is vastly superior.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Aside from my ship, what's this picture showing? There was no point of interest nearby that might explain it (unlike with the weird structure found in both Argon and Xenon space).

Also reused assets I think, there's a few of those dotted around the universe, there's one in the xenon sector north of hatikvah's choice which has a bunch of xenon poo poo stuck on it. It doesn't do anything, alas, just decoration. But I think they were present in Rebirth too.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

drat it, game - don't make me feel sorry for the Xenon:

The strategy of doing large-scale battles absolutely need mouse stuff for menuing, but for traveling (instead of relying on autopilot) and dogfighting especially, HOTAS is vastly superior.

There are real limitations even during flight. You can't point and click turrets and subsystems, quickly check specific targets on screen without changing your ship's heading, access functions from the mouse context menu, etc., etc. There's a ton of stuff you can't do or access easily during flight without breaking out the mouse.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You know how I said I was almost feeling sorry for the Xenon? I don't, anymore:

timn posted:

There are real limitations even during flight. You can't point and click turrets and subsystems, quickly check specific targets on screen without changing your ship's heading, access functions from the mouse context menu, etc., etc. There's a ton of stuff you can't do or access easily during flight without breaking out the mouse.
You can cycle between subsystems which is very familiar for anyone who's played any space game before, you can cycle between targets, you can even lock targets, you can access the context menu. In fact, you can do everything you said just on the joystick alone, depending on how you've got things bound.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is the personal inventory and crafting system meant to be the most frustrating thing in the world? Don't even understand what would possess the makers of X to add something you can't supply chain your way into/through.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

zedprime posted:

Is the personal inventory and crafting system meant to be the most frustrating thing in the world? Don't even understand what would possess the makers of X to add something you can't supply chain your way into/through.

It's mostly useless except for the EMP bombs, and those components aren't especially rare. SETA being gated behind random drops is a pain in the rear end, but mercifully it's more of a nice-to-have in X4 as opposed to an integral part of the game in the previous games.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

You know how I said I was almost feeling sorry for the Xenon? I don't, anymore:

You can cycle between subsystems which is very familiar for anyone who's played any space game before, you can cycle between targets, you can even lock targets, you can access the context menu. In fact, you can do everything you said just on the joystick alone, depending on how you've got things bound.

There is only so far this can go on, but the point is that the cycling is horribly cumbersome and inefficient in this game compared to directly clicking on the specific thing you want to target. Other space games don't ask you to be checking things out on the fly while multi-tasking or snap targeting a specific L plasma turret with less than a second to spare before it one-shots you. The cycling hotkeys are a big handicap in this game where you might have several dozens of targetable ships on radar or just as many individual turrets and shield generators on a capital ship.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
Are the turret accuracy changes actually effective this time around? I saw the fix in the 3.20 patch notes, but I don't have a current save game as I reinstalled everything on my new rig.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

Luccion posted:

Are the turret accuracy changes actually effective this time around? I saw the fix in the 3.20 patch notes, but I don't have a current save game as I reinstalled everything on my new rig.

I've noticed that turrets on defence platforms do indeed seem more accurate. For ships however, it's not something I've given much time to observe.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Corzen posted:

I've noticed that turrets on defence platforms do indeed seem more accurate. For ships however, it's not something I've given much time to observe.

Thank you, I guess it's been a while and I'm bored, so I'll fire up another play through and see if I can finally realize my dream of an actual Argon centric fleet with massive amounts of turrets.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, out of curiosity, do races rebuild trading stations on their own? If not, is there anything I can do to help? Since the Godrealm are being beaten badly by the Holy Order, and have lost the trade station (and more recently, the entire sector) in Pious Mists II, which is accelerating my plans to go on the offensive against HOP.

Actually, speaking of which, there's no way I can build a trade station (or freeport I guess? No idea what those actually do), is there? The only major station types I can build are admin/defence stations, wharfs, shipyards and equipment docks, right?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Any station with warehousing space can be a trading station. I am not sure about the special Trading Station station parts, but the functionality is achieved simply by having buy and sell orders for the same resource.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, out of curiosity, do races rebuild trading stations on their own? If not, is there anything I can do to help? Since the Godrealm are being beaten badly by the Holy Order, and have lost the trade station (and more recently, the entire sector) in Pious Mists II, which is accelerating my plans to go on the offensive against HOP.

Actually, speaking of which, there's no way I can build a trade station (or freeport I guess? No idea what those actually do), is there? The only major station types I can build are admin/defence stations, wharfs, shipyards and equipment docks, right?

They will rebuild trade stations. I am pretty sure, but not absolutely certain of this.

The player can't build trade stations though. That is an NPC only station.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Factions can rebuild trading stations, wharfs, and shipyards. It may take them a while, but they'll eventually rebuild. The HOP are basically Space Baptists with the Godrealm basically being Space Catholics. It's one hell of a religious war.

At present, it isn't possible for the player to build a trading station module like the other factions. Perhaps in an update?

E:fb

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A shame really because the combined docking boom/storage modules on the argon stations are nice.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Brought this back when it was on special last week and already hit a nasty bug, got my first M size miner all set up and told it to start minning, it undocked, than locked up with undocking still its most crital order.

Turns out I hit a big bug that was suposed to be solved many patches ago with the only fix being to sell the ship in map mode. What a goos start

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

have you tried exiting the sector and coming back?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I think I've had stuff get stuck like that before too, but it either resolved itself eventually or I was able to cancel the order and try again with no issue.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Yeah, loving 3.20 dropped
So, as i have said before. get the devstarts. you can scan bp's on almost everything. (you can't get the bp of the abandoned bs in the xenon sector.) you also start with seta and teleportation.
everything else including the sado-maso stuff to get mods is unchanged, once you get the phq.
you can choose the "battle" start to get a smol fleet, so, a carrier, an aux, 2 bs, 4-6 m's, and up to 30-40 assorted s. it will set you at -20 or something against hat (vanilla) or zya (sv). (its not locked so you can grind those standings back up)
Essentially, most of the ships are random, although I have vendetta so, my carrier seems to be always the split one, and the aux and every other ship is random. ofc, you can re-roll until you get what you prefer,
rattlesnek's ftw ffs. although, sometimes your bs will spawn with no main gunz, ohwell. *shrug*.

L to R, I have a bunch of extensions, some I have fiddled with, personal shuttles makes the s trader carry 25 crew, i added that to a couple of M size ships.
next, this is what Devstarts gives you, I chose TS5 Battle, and thats the random fleet I got for an example, you start in "event horizon" zone in hatikvas's whtever... so, you have a fleet, there is another fleet thats red to you, you can battle,
or just gtfo, and enjoy a gamestart with the fleet, all normal stuff is unlocked, you can scan a coms for boso, and the first gate you can go through will give you the hat plotline if you have sv.

Like, I know a bunch of people will recoil in shock at the idea of "cheating" yourself a fleet, the ability to scan erryting, seta and teleportation, but after literally hundreds of restarts due to patches, etc. personally I cba.
"Build" and a couple of other starts give you less material stuff, but keep the other useful things,

staberind fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That's cool. I always keep the cheat menu handy in case of some bug or whatever that sets me back, or if I want to manipulate my start.

What do you mean by devstarts allow you to scan almost any BP? Like could I scan the Teladi trading station habitat ring and build myself a ringworld? Are there blueprints that I can't normally get in a regular start, but can with a devstart?

Because if so... I'm uh probably going to restart this new save I'm about 20 hours into.

Edit: honestly anybody who has a problem with how anybody else plays a single player sandbox game is just :jerkbag:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 9, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Only took me 143 hours to get the damaged singularity engine in order to craft the SETA device. orz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

honestly anybody who has a problem with how anybody else plays a single player sandbox game is just :jerkbag:

Only an insignificantly small percentage of people seem to complain about modding Oblivion, New Vegas, Skyrim, Fallout 4, The Sims,etc. Even Egosoft complimented all the various mods that eventually culminated in to Litcube's massive overhaul mod for X³:TC.

However X4 seems to be infected with Elite Dangerous forum dads and Star Citizen backers. So, the bitching about vanilla 'purity' is a thing. There's plenty of posts that will use jargon from either community in relation to X4. Every time I read the word 'verse' in some post about X4 elsewhere, I cringe.

But yes. I agree with your sentiment. For years people have been modding games to add to their enjoyment. And, people who complain about it can pretty much just gently caress right the gently caress off.