Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, give up - even if you have a fancy new TV stand doesn't mean you have to actually use it for the TV. Wall mount that sucker with an arm mount type that you can center and move wherever you want it and just put the accessories on the TV stand.

I do the same with mine for the same reason - the center speaker is too drat tall.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Speaking of mounts, I was looking at this 55' TCL Roku 6 series on the threads reccomendation. Problem is my TV Stand in my living room is only 40 inches, and the legs on the TCL are on the ends. Can I fold up or remove those little legs on the ends of the TV and just slap this on? it supports VCL 200 x 200.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Universal-Screen-Table-STAND-TV00Y/dp/B01N0VNIA9

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Speaking of mounts, I was looking at this 55' TCL Roku 6 series on the threads reccomendation. Problem is my TV Stand in my living room is only 40 inches, and the legs on the TCL are on the ends. Can I fold up or remove those little legs on the ends of the TV and just slap this on? it supports VCL 200 x 200.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Universal-Screen-Table-STAND-TV00Y/dp/B01N0VNIA9
That’s the one I originally ordered. Ended up not being tall enough to clear my center speaker but it’s well designed and very sturdy.

You could also try swapping the feet, have them point inward instead of outward. This used to work but not sure about the latest revision.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also, do your cats poo poo in that space age looking cryo pod next to the sofa?
Yes my cats poop in a spaceship and it rules

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

couldcareless posted:

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 65" C9 but I've become aware that my Denon AVR 1613 isn't gonna be robust enough to fully support the 4K HDR. Some quick googling points me to Sony STR DH590 for an adequate replacement. I'm currently running a 5.1 setup, so at the bare minimum I'll need a receiver that supports as such.
Will that Sony suffice or should I look elsewhere?

If there’s a Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha in the same price range maybe check them out. It won’t blow up or anything if you can get a really good deal but they’re not putting a ton of work into their receivers any more.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks, Phoenicians.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It’s cool but having a cat poopbox next to a couch... is that a thing?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
welcome to Lumberdome!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Josh Lyman it looks to me like the TV wall roughly fits (or complements) the 'curve' in your couch so I'd have it switch sides with the TV if possible. As you said, it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Also, does the odor of cat litter (or waste) waft out from that capsule? If so, I'd place it far away from the couch. Toxoplasmosis and all. If I ever get a cat again, I'm toilet training it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Josh Lyman it looks to me like the TV wall roughly fits (or complements) the 'curve' in your couch so I'd have it switch sides with the TV if possible. As you said, it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Also, does the odor of cat litter (or waste) waft out from that capsule? If so, I'd place it far away from the couch. Toxoplasmosis and all. If I ever get a cat again, I'm toilet training it.
Both my current couch and future couch will fit the 128” wide TV alcove. It’ll be tight with the rear speakers but they’ll fit too. I’ll switch it around later and take photos for you all.

As for the litter box, there’s not a great spot for it in this stupid apartment, but the spaceship does a remarkable job of limiting odor by dropping the waste into an enclosed compartment with an air filter.

Also I definitely have the toxo after 9 years with these cats.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 8, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

One day a builder is going to be so confused as to why there’s cat poo poo in his cement mixer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We've flipped! Here's the couch where the TV was:

This is almost certainly the couch I'm getting, to give you an idea of the color palette:

This is the TV where the couch was from the center cushion:

You basically have to be in the left cushion to see the TV straight on, which maybe isn't the worst thing in the world since I can get a sofa chaise which would be a bit better than sofa + ottoman for viewing marathons:

This is the long console look. You might think of moving the litter box and pushing the double console left, but the couch can't go farther left because of the stupid fireplace. I will say, this definitely reminds me of why the look appealed to me in the first place, even with the right 25% extending past the wall:

With either the single or double console, remember that I'm definitely going to return these and probably get something in a medium or medium-dark color that better complements my coffee table, the light floor and walls.

Before I did this, I thought it might actually work, but I think things were actually better before.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 8, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My B9 got a decently sized firmware update today. Did it always have auto game mode or whatever it's called? I just noticed it while reviewing the settings.

Oh, of course Reddit has the changelog (C9):

[quote=04.80.03 - probably June 2020

OFFICIAL CHANGE LOG: Apple AirPlay function improvement - (the rest of changes mentioned below are UNOFFICIAL, extracted from the firmware itself)]

WebOS version updated to v4.8.0-52203

The device codec capability configuration for the EAC3 codec changed from 6 channels to 8 channels.

The device codec capability configuration (EDID) for the LPCM codec changed from 2 channels to 8 channels, so the 2019 models can Pass-Trough multi-channel PCM audio via eARC

The list of CA certificates was updated.

Media server 8K video playback support added.

The max size of the saved EPG data was increased (size of the volume increased by 10MB).

Airplay application was added to the list of apps that are kept alive.

Built-In App-Updates:

WebOS Browser App (Chromium) updated (internal version didn't change).

LG Advertisement App updated.

Firmware updates of the following modules:

WIFI

Audio DSP

HDMI 2.1[/quote]

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 9, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So I have no idea what's going on with my B7. Recently I'd be playing the PS4, the TV would shut off, turn back on, say no signal, then go back to the game. Anyone ever seen this? This TV has been solid for years. I haven't noticed this with my Roku or 4k player.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Is the TV actually turning off, or just going blank as the signal drops out?

Either way first and easiest/cheapest thing to check is the HDMI cable, swap that out. And hook it up to different HDMI ports on the TV. But after the cable you start getting into most costly/serious possibilities like faulty HDMI port on the PS4 or the TV, or either having some internal issue.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

GreenNight posted:

So I have no idea what's going on with my B7. Recently I'd be playing the PS4, the TV would shut off, turn back on, say no signal, then go back to the game. Anyone ever seen this? This TV has been solid for years. I haven't noticed this with my Roku or 4k player.

Don't have a B7 but I have had similar behavior from my ps4. It happens infrequently enough that u never really bothered to look into the cause.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man i'm kinda really bummed, but with COVID is there any other way of getting a good tv that isn't "rely on amazon"

the C9 that I ordered through recommendations of this thread came in today and the upper right was literally pinched inward. A sizeable pinched like somebody took industrial clamps to the upper right and now I'm just extremely frustrated with the process and just wanting a god drat loving tv.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It you have a vehicle that's big enough, most places do curbside pickup now. That's what I'll be doing thru best buy next weekend

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

It you have a vehicle that's big enough, most places do curbside pickup now. That's what I'll be doing thru best buy next weekend
Yeah the Ikea on the Virginia side of DC has been doing curbside for a few weeks and has even opened up for in-store shopping.

That means I can return the Hemnes consoles I bought.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to go through the process with amazon of replacement, and if this one falls on it's face I'm going to get my friend and do curbside. Just extremely frustrated. Amazon originally wouldn't send out the replacement and was just offering a refund until I called and complained and then magically was able to get a replacement.

I feel bad about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 77" CX $4,500 shipped and $440 in gift cards included.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I ordered a 65" C9 from a place who oversold and so they offered me a CX with a big discount, so that's coming next week. Upgrading from a 10 year old 42" Panasonic with 2" bezels lol.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm over here wondering if I waited too long on that C9 65" boat that's already left the harbor.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Costco is finally showing the 77'' CX on their site... and it's the same exact price as the C9 at $4450. Isn't that a bit odd? I'd been hoping the C9 would go further down in price and I'm kind of surprised to see the CX coming out with immediate 10% discounts.

I'd say maybe it's a sign that everyone knows the CX is a dud but really I doubt anyone outside a tiny group online are aware of its shortcomings.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm guessing it's more of a sign that the C9 is continuing to sell well

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ugh my best buy only has 3 more 65" c9s available and i really really want to wait till next sunday to get it

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Hisense 65h8g (2020) for 699 vs a Tcl 65R625 (2019) for 749.

I'm usually a Tcl guy but the Hisense gets really good reviews and is newer. The only knock is its Android tv.

Opinions? Advice?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Comfortador posted:

I'm usually a Tcl guy but the Hisense gets really good reviews and is newer. The only knock is its Android tv.

Opinions? Advice?

I think in terms of picture ultimately they're going to be on par.

Glancing at reviews it seems it's got really thin bezels, surprisingly good onboard sound and a snappy AndroidTV experience (unlike most mid tier TVs).

If those sway you one way or the other I'd get it. If not then you're really going to be happy with either. So I'd probably just get the Hisense since it's slightly cheaper.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think I've figured it out. The black of my Hemnes was too much, so I was thinking of something wood colored with space for my center speaker, receiver, and possibly Xbox/Playstation, but it also needs to be at least 57" wide to hold my TV.

The Ikea Besta TV stand gives me all that. 70" wide and on sale for $60 thru July 4th:

It's only 15" tall but I can give it legs. The metal ones might help with the floating console effect:

AND if I want to pull off the super long console look, I can use these as speaker stands on either side. Total width is 118" which is the same as my Hemnes attempt:

The legs only elevate it to 20" which is fine but maybe a little low. For the same cost, I could get the 25" versions without legs. I lose the floating console look and gain storage space, but I'm not sure I would even use it. There's also some concerns about the current Besta version not being very stable, though that seems to be an issue with the taller units:

I don't think I'd get doors but it'd look like this. Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with the Besta? Should I consider getting it in black?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 11, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wouldn't get something taller if I wasn't going to use the extra storage space. I'd go for something that's the right size for what I'm going to put in it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Comfortador posted:

Opinions? Advice?

If your television is going to be your primary smart tv interface, Android Police were very unfavorable about the Android TV experience:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/06/hisense-h8g-quantum-android-tv-review/

quote:

Hisense doesn't say what SoC powers the H8G, but it lacks oomph at times. Though I don't think that Android TV is the smoothest experience on the best of days, even just scrolling in the launcher or YouTube sometimes results in dropped frames. More than once for me, navigating around an app or the system would randomly and quickly freeze, followed by all my subsequent commands landing at once. I also ran into more concerning issues with video entirely freezing in some streaming services shortly after starting a stream. It was most common in Netflix, but other services were also affected, and it usually happened after waking it from sleep/standby for the first time that day. Once or twice, the TV even entirely locked up, requiring a reboot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I honestly wish Roku would handle all the app-business on TVs. That's the one mark against the LG Oleds I have.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I use my Playstation 4 as the App launching device for my TV.

Continuing the traditi of the Playstation being the media device that started with the PS3.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I may use it occasionally, but if it is a problem I'll probably use my Xbox until I hook up my ps4 pro to it.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 11, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

If your television is going to be your primary smart tv interface, Android Police were very unfavorable about the Android TV experience:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/06/hisense-h8g-quantum-android-tv-review/

Eww that sucks. The review I read said the opposite. Hope I didn't add wrong information.

Why is it so hard for them to get it right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FilthyImp posted:

I honestly wish Roku would handle all the app-business on TVs. That's the one mark against the LG Oleds I have.

While WebOS doesn't have the breadth of apps that Roku has, it's been my experience that they are consistently better in reliability and performance for the ones that are there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BonoMan posted:

Eww that sucks. The review I read said the opposite. Hope I didn't add wrong information.

Why is it so hard for them to get it right?

In fairness, AP probably spent a lot more time trying to stress test the Android TV OS than most reviewers.
I switched to Apple in October and I still check them everyday and follow the podcast, because they're one of the best places to go for general Android/Roku/IoT info.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I finally was able to get my wife to agree to a new TV. My current one is a 12 year old Samsung LCD that retains static images after like 10 minutes of being on screen even. It is really bad.

Because I can afford it and I don't tend to upgrade in forever after purchase, I'm eyeing the LG CX OLED (the C9 doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere any more?). Mainly just watching Netflix and playing video games.

What are the odds of seeing a Father's day sale or any sale at all any time soon for something like this? I don't want to wait until holiday season. I want one now-ish.

EDIT: Also would take other suggestions, but my main sticking point is that I want a 55" and it seems like some others in the same sort of class are strictly 65+

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I wouldn't get something taller if I wasn't going to use the extra storage space. I'd go for something that's the right size for what I'm going to put in it.
In general, I would agree with this sentiment, but the notion of cubby holes is that they’re for general storage. I think the Xbox Series X will have less than 2" of clearance in the 15” tall version and we don’t know how big the PS5 is yet. The 25” would give me plenty of room but I don’t know if it would look as nice since it throw off the aspect ratio of the long console look.

Yes I could just place the game console up top but it's an example of how 15" can be limiting.

Edit: OH I just realized the 25” one would allow me to place my center speaker vertically inside the cubby which would be a really nice bonus.

Edit: Here's a 5 across Besta using the 15" versions:

Edit: I was settled on the 15", but there's a very technical reason why I think the 25" might be preferable. My center speaker is 16.5" deep and the Besta cubbys are only 14" deep. I could cut out a hole in the fiberboard back so the speaker sits flush with the front of the console, but there's a center insert that, if I left off, might be wide enough for my center to poke out the back when vertical in the 25" Besta. Even if it's not wide enough, I'd only have to slice off an inch or two. Plus, I could fit 2 shelves of books under the speaker units which would help with stability, and this render says the long console look remains:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 12, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

65" LG C9 for $1899. It's on newegg but says shipped by Gameliquidations, whatever that means.

edit: lmao 80% positive ratings, maybe not; removed link haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

beep by grandpa posted:

65" LG C9 for $1899. It's on newegg but says shipped by Gameliquidations, whatever that means.

edit: lmao 80% positive ratings, maybe not; removed link haha

Yeah they had the same deal a few weeks ago and I almost pulled the trigger until I read the reviews- way too many people reporting not getting the item or other garbage.

I've since decided to go with the later model, the CX, and will probably order one in a few weeks, but I wanted to ask if there was any compelling reason not to or to wait longer- I don't follow tech that much so I'm not aware of any glaring issues or if there were any sale seasons coming up soon?