Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Nightbreed. Should've trusted my instincts; 90s horror just is not my jam. This isn't even a movie, it's just an effects demo reel. I'm shocked it was based on a book, because this feels less like it had a script and more like it had a two page treatment and a special effects shop full of neat masks.

Cronenberg is terrific in it, though.

Big disagree. Nightbreed is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I just watched The Vast of Night, and I thought it was phenomenal. It's a great example of quiet, understated, and effective storytelling. As for the Whedonesque dialog, I didn't really think it was Whedonesque at all. There's only really one character who is a quickfire talker, but they're a radio host, so it seemed appropiate to me.

Loved it too for the reasons you mentioned, and I thought it had some really great camerawork and sound design. The long tracking shot that moved across the whole town was really impressive - I guess there was some editing in there but it was seamless enough that I couldn’t notice it.

And I definitely don’t agree that the dialogue was “Whedonesque”, it actually felt very natural to me. Like you said, Everett is a radio host and he also thinks he is smarter and cooler than everyone else. Faye calls him out for changing his voice for the radio, but I think he’s doing that to some degree all the time. It’s an affectation and part of his character.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Nightbreed. Should've trusted my instincts; 90s horror just is not my jam. This isn't even a movie, it's just an effects demo reel. I'm shocked it was based on a book, because this feels less like it had a script and more like it had a two page treatment and a special effects shop full of neat masks.

Cronenberg is terrific in it, though.

I felt the same way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep. Finished it. A whole lot of special effects in search of a movie. But some neat stuff in there that made it worthwhile, if not something I'll ever return to.

What's the thread's recommended watching order for the Purge franchise? I feel inclined to at least skip the first movie because a home invasion flick doesn't feel up my alley. Should I watch the rest of them by release date? Is the show worthwhile?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I enjoyed all the flicks besides the purge 1. The show is okay, fizzles out and easily skippable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Yep. Finished it. A whole lot of special effects in search of a movie. But some neat stuff in there that made it worthwhile, if not something I'll ever return to.

What's the thread's recommended watching order for the Purge franchise? I feel inclined to at least skip the first movie because a home invasion flick doesn't feel up my alley. Should I watch the rest of them by release date? Is the show worthwhile?

Skip the original, watch the rest by release date. I've only seen season 1 of the show, but it was... meh; I understand season 2 is a big improvement but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

The Horror thead, what's everyone's favorite ___ of the ___ Dead film?

Tombs of the Blind Dead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

City of the Living Dead

Kvlt! posted:

ive never seen Nightbreed which cut do i watch?

Cabal Cut or Directors cut

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

which one

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nightbreed is awesome but all sorts of hosed up I’m sure the different cuts are better but I love that little weirdo film regardless

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

which one

The one for free on Tubi

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont use tubi im like David Lynch i believe cinema should be watched in an experience as close to a theater as possible and id much rather shell out a few bucks for a rental than have my movie interrupted by ads.

I know not everyone has the financial means to rent movies and i think tubi is great bc it gives everyone a chance to watch them but for me personally id rather not watch a movie than watch one where every 40 minutes im ripped from the experience by an ad.

same reason i never watch movies on tv

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The director's cut – which is the better version to see – is also free on shout factory's website (without ads):

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/nightbreed-director-s-cut/592dd1cb70e61c14c301cdff

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

The director's cut – which is the better version to see – is also free on shout factory's website (without ads):

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/nightbreed-director-s-cut/592dd1cb70e61c14c301cdff

you rock! Gonna put this on

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

i dont use tubi im like David Lynch i believe cinema should be watched in an experience as close to a theater as possible and id much rather shell out a few bucks for a rental than have my movie interrupted by ads.

Yup. I jumped on Tubi for Nightbreed today to try it out for the first time. As soon as it hit that first commercial break I had immediately to jump and rent it on YouTube.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

If you just turn on your ad blocker when the movie starts on Tubi it'll cut out the ads. I've never seen ads on Tubi Tv.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not if you wanna watch on your TV. Ads galore on Chromecast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m poor so idk. I rent a lot of movies though. Pirating movies leads to no good movies so.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's gotta be a way to hack a Roku for an adblocker addon. I tried to watch something on Crackle and it's just a ton of loud as hell commercials every 9 minutes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I know not everyone has the financial means to rent movies and i think tubi is great bc it gives everyone a chance to watch them but for me personally id rather not watch a movie than watch one where every 40 minutes im ripped from the experience by an ad.

Kids today will never know the unique viewing experience of seeing some bullshit your friend taped off of USA Up All Night with the commercials 3/4s of the way cut out. It’s good to see a movie where it cuts away right before a nude scene to a Fancy Feast commercial or something, only to have it jitterly jump back into the movie in the middle of a different scene. It builds character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They will if you raise 'em right and buy a box of old home-recorded VHS tapes off eBay and don't let them watch modern media.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I’m poor so idk. I rent a lot of movies though. Pirating movies leads to no good movies so.

You're not a lost customer if you don't have economic access to the product in the first place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Mark Patton's story was way more interesting than I expected it to be. Also I had no idea Never Sleep Again had played such an important role in the whole thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching that literally right now. I’m excited.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was astounding. Scream Queen is a must watch

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

i dont follow any threads in cined except this one ppl dont like me lol

I like you even tho you're a bitch.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just watched Corona Zombies and it's about what I've come to expect (and low key love) from Full Moon.

90% of the footage is just Hell of the Living Dead dubbed over. It's obviously not very good and has some moderately racist moments but I didn't hate it. I love lovely low budget b movies though. You probably don't have to watch it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

Kids today will never know the unique viewing experience of seeing some bullshit your friend taped off of USA Up All Night with the commercials 3/4s of the way cut out. It’s good to see a movie where it cuts away right before a nude scene to a Fancy Feast commercial or something, only to have it jitterly jump back into the movie in the middle of a different scene. It builds character.

It's a nostalgia thing with me when I catch a VHS rip on Youtube where they've got some of the old commercials left in. Even better when it's the old Halloween themed commercials.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Has anyone here seen The Revenant (2009)? I recall it being a very entertaining hybrid horror movie but I've literally never seen it mentioned since a few months after it came out and just randomly remembered it. An Iñárritu movie coming out a few years later with the same name probably didn't help its visibility. The writer/director also seems to have taken a 10-year break. David Anders plays the main character and he always seems a great character actor that never really took off. I hope I'm not misremembering and it's like a Boondocks Saints situation where it gets worse the older you are.

I mean the trailer isn't giving me the best vibes, but I don't think it represents the movie very well since I'm pretty sure the last act turns heavily sci-fi/fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9yFQQ2zJzA

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 8, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember it being vaguely ok but nothing special. It kind of felt both unique as its own thing while kind of redundant of a bunch of other things squished together if that makes sense. It was a fine enough watch but I don't think it did anything to make itself stand out for me.

But like, I probably watched it once a decade ago in passing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So, The Clovehitch Killer. This movie flew way under my radar. I think I had come across it and just assumed it was a direct-to-streaming BTK retelling. And, okay, sure, that's exactly what it was. But it was really good! They managed to make Donald/Clovehitch a tragic and relatable character - he could be anyone's dad, or troop leader, or church member.

It wasn't as "horror" per se as I was expecting, but the thriller tension was rope-tight the entire time. The only niggle I have is that there's one scene that's sort of a... flash forward? And then it flashes back? And at the time it seems like everything's happening in real time until you realize that it's flashed back. That part confused me a bit but clicked into place afterwards. Either way, highly recommended.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

You can use youtube-dl to just drop in the Tubi URL and download the full video without the commercials. To make things even easier, you can install it through Chocolatey instead of messing around with the command line for the installation.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/bmoviesd/status/1270025460693577728?s=19

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my adhd brain cant read these walls of texts whats going on

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

my adhd brain cant read these walls of texts whats going on

Cinestate, a production/distribution company that did all of Craig Zahler's stuff, VFW, etc. owns BMD and Fango

Cinestate is at the centre of a big scandal involving their co-owner - Dallas Sonnier, a known sex pest and libertarian chud. Incidents on the set of VFW and Satanic Panic were brought up in the original Daily Beast article

BMD/Fango staff are not working until their demands for transparency and reform happen within Cinestate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress yes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Cinestate, a production/distribution company that did all of Craig Zahler's stuff, VFW, etc. owns BMD and Fango

Cinestate is at the centre of a big scandal involving their co-owner - Dallas Sonnier, a known sex pest and libertarian chud. Incidents on the set of VFW and Satanic Panic were brought up in the original Daily Beast article

BMD/Fango staff are not working until their demands for transparency and reform happen within Cinestate

ty

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sorry it's brief, I'm kinda busy today and prob glossed over a few things but you should read the Daily Beast article at least as it runs down the main issues with Cinestate.

I am still highly skeptical that these incidents happened with the directors on those sets not knowing, especially on fairly small productions.

It can be explained (though absolutely not excused) by Begos and Stardust not wanting to jeopardize their first big gigs and future work, but it's disappointing that neither had the stones to push back on it when people started quitting their projects.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
SHOUT Factory are doing an Event Horizon 4K release. :toot:

quote:

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
Coming to Blu-ray 9/29 from Scream Factory!

In space, you will be hearing many screams as we unleash 1997’s gruesome EVENT HORIZON , featuring a new 4K scan, this Fall! Details we have currently are as follows: • National street date for North America (Region A) is planned for Sept 29th. Please note that the date could change as we are still experiencing a domino effect from the COVID situation--which has caused numerous delays for earlier releases in our schedule, as you have seen We’ll do our best to keep this date of course, but we’re still in an unprecedented time in which getting access to talent for extras or setting up film transfers are more challenging than they were before. We appreciate your understanding now and in advance and hopefully there will be some stabilization. • This is being presented as a Collector’s Edition release and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release. • The newly commissioned artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Joel Robinson. This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork. • New extras are in progress and will be announced on a later date (Aug timing, and also depending on current events). We can confirm today that we are doing a new 4K scan of the film! As for any much-inquired-about additional footage (in addition to what's be presented on prior releases), we are looking into it as best we can. We welcome any leads you may have alongside our efforts.
Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/event-horizon-collector-s-edition?product_id=7436 , the first 500 orders will include an exclusive limited-edition 18” x 24” rolled poster of the exclusive new illustration.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

SHOUT Factory are doing an Event Horizon 4K release. :toot:

If it doesn't have the cut hell bits I'm NOT INTERESTED