Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The pessimist in me thinks we won’t actually get all of the megas outside of that flashback(?). Kinda like how we saw silhouettes of all the ancients in Frontier but never saw them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Since the series is making the angels explicitly special, I’m wondering if they’ll be found together or if Gatomon will be separated again to explain why she can remain a Champion indefinitely.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The pessimist in me thinks we won’t actually get all of the megas outside of that flashback(?). Kinda like how we saw silhouettes of all the ancients in Frontier but never saw them.

AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon appeared in the movie! Which I guess adds nothing to this since obviously WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon will appear in the series, but still.

These are two different things anyways since the Chosen Children of Frontier were never meant to become the original Legendary Warriors (beyond the one game where they do) while these are the canonical Megas of the protagonists.

Geostomp posted:

Since the series is making the angels explicitly special, I’m wondering if they’ll be found together or if Gatomon will be separated again to explain why she can remain a Champion indefinitely.

It's possible. The character introduction video specifically points out that Tailmon "has a big secret".

Also, unconnected to Adventure:, the official Digimon site had a poll of movies. It should surprise no one that Tri has nearly every single lowest spot on the list, surpassing only some 3D movies that I'm guessing no one really watched (the Savers one wasn't terrible from what I remember though)

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1268818225564966913
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1268820039555264518
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1268820041547558912

I don't agree with this poll in a lot of things (Determination was one of the better Tri movies, not the worst movie Digimon's ever had, and Our Future was worse than Confession; plus Runaway Digimon Express deserved a much higher spot on the list, and Golden Digimentals isn't even that great) but seeing Tri get destroyed will always make me happy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The more I hear about Toei's handleing of Tri the less suprising it becomes that Tri and LE were as they were.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s a longer version of the previous video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9zQ7Rxpkg30

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's interesting that they are talking about Kari straight away instead of it being a twist to be revealed later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fangz posted:

It's interesting that they are talking about Kari straight away instead of it being a twist to be revealed later.

A lot of Adventure: expects you to have watched Adventure already. The opening shows the entirety of Agumon's line, we saw Omegamon as early as episode 2, Hikari and Tailmon are in the opening. It's clear that the series is meant to be watched by us who already watched Adventure so there's no point in hiding what you know will happen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Japanese shows do not give a poo poo about twists and pretty much everyone knows about Kari from the get go out of universe

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Determination was the best Tri movie. :colbert:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Runaway Digimon Express sucks and doesn't fit with the tone of Tamers in the slightest. I'm really not a fan of how they treat Ruki either.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Runaway Digimon Express sucks and doesn't fit with the tone of Tamers in the slightest. I'm really not a fan of how they treat Ruki either.

Yeah but at least it undoes the ending of Tamers*, unlike that one really depressing CD drama

*probably one of the only people around here who doesn't like the ending to Tamers

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah but at least it undoes the ending of Tamers*, unlike that one really depressing CD drama

*probably one of the only people around here who doesn't like the ending to Tamers

Nah, I'm on your side here. I love Tamers to death but the children deserved a happy ending after all the poo poo they went through and Runaway Digimon Express gives them exactly that so I like it, much more than the actual canon follow-up that even removes the one hope the ending left.

Though I guess it's unimportant since we got another canon continuation that had them meet their partners back...too bad it'll never get the follow-up it deserves.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I remember watching X-Evolution in high school and it being kind of a slog, course I wasn't really familiar with all the Digimon lore. Is it really the second best movie?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

I remember watching X-Evolution in high school and it being kind of a slog, course I wasn't really familiar with all the Digimon lore. Is it really the second best movie?

It's very good, but it's also a completely different beast than any other Digimon thing. I really like it myself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nah, I'm on your side here. I love Tamers to death but the children deserved a happy ending after all the poo poo they went through and Runaway Digimon Express gives them exactly that so I like it, much more than the actual canon follow-up that even removes the one hope the ending left.

Though I guess it's unimportant since we got another canon continuation that had them meet their partners back...too bad it'll never get the follow-up it deserves.

I mean the ending to Tamers is Takato finding a portal to the digital world with the clear meaning that hopefully this will lead to everyone reuniting!

The drama CD doesn't follow up on that, but the actual ending of the show is pretty hopeful all in all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Last Evolution at number 3 above even the first movie annoys me, I will be goddamned if that movie actually turns out good after reading details on the movie. Similarly there's no way Movie 3 is better than either 5 or 7. Yeah, 3 looked snazzy but Movie 5 was a fun Digimon Tamers.txt and 7 had some wonky bits but was overall pretty strong in its own right. Also in complete agreement that Tri 2 was the single best Tri movie whereas Tri 6 was either the worst or second worst after 4 so I have a lot of problems even in the Tri-zone.

TheHan posted:

I'd say no it's the second best movie period, (My top three are 1, 2, and 7 in that order), but it's a pretty good movie on the whole. Definitely in the upper half of all the digimon movies made, and while that isn't super high praise (the movies have never been Digimon's biggest selling point) X-Evolution would hold up well even if I wasn't grading on a curve.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Watched Digimon Adventure(the movie) the other night again and yeah it's still really good, also you can tell that Parrotmon was originally meant to be an Adult stage Digimon rather than the Perfect stage that he officially is, cause Greymon does way more damage to him than vice versa, getting a wing vaporized by a glancing Mega Flame, getting his beak smashed in with a horn, while Greymon doesn't really take any visible damage until he does the suicide Mega Flame

Also Taichi's parents must be deaf or something(and his dad is an alcoholic)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

Also Taichi's parents must be deaf or something(and his dad is an alcoholic)
I mean these are the parents that left a pneumonia-ridden four year-old in the care of a dumb eight year-old and then were surprised when she almost died.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean these are the parents that left a pneumonia-ridden four year-old in the care of a dumb eight year-old and then were surprised when she almost died.

More than once

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

More than once

Well, she didn't die the first time, he must have done SOMETHING right!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's a bit different. The 10 warriors aren't actually evolved forms of the main characters.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

That's a bit different. The 10 warriors aren't actually evolved forms of the main characters.

I know. I meant it more along the lines of them being flashback silhouettes that never actually appear. Only AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon are identified. Like, it’s not exactly a 1:1 comparison, but I could see them showing the megas in a flashback and then only having WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon show up. Hopefully I’m wrong though!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think that’s just assuming for the sake of assuming. We’ll see regardless, though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's very good, but it's also a completely different beast than any other Digimon thing. I really like it myself.

Omnicrom posted:

I'd say no it's the second best movie period, (My top three are 1, 2, and 7 in that order), but it's a pretty good movie on the whole. Definitely in the upper half of all the digimon movies made, and while that isn't super high praise (the movies have never been Digimon's biggest selling point) X-Evolution would hold up well even if I wasn't grading on a curve.

Oh nice, I'm gonna have to give it another shot!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I remember it being boring but if it’s that high rated a guess I should give it another shot. Is there any place to watch it legally? So far I’ve only found it available on DVD for ¥10500 and gently caress that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The newest virtual pets, the Pendulum Z series, have been announced.

There's gonna be three types, focusing on Deep Savers, Nature Spirits, and Nightmare soldiers. There's gonna be over 100 Digimon included.

And we get a whole bunch of new Digimon too. From left to right:

Top Row - Snarizamon, Babungamon, Gogumamon
Second Row - Sangomon, Tobiumon, MarineKimeramon, Gosokumon
Third Row - Piranhimon, Legalexmon, Ghosmon

A lot of winners, design-wise, here. MarineKimeramon and Ghosmon in particular are standouts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ghosmon is my new best friend and I love it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hell yea, Ghosmon.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'nightmare soldiers' sounds like it'll easily outsell the other two

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I hope we get a bunch of cool new machine Digimon for the inevitable Metal Empire one. They've always been a little lackluster on the Pendulums, especially the Megas: WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, Machinedramon, and VenomMyotismon. Two of those aren't even mechanical!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

The newest virtual pets, the Pendulum Z series, have been announced.

There's gonna be three types, focusing on Deep Savers, Nature Spirits, and Nightmare soldiers. There's gonna be over 100 Digimon included.

And we get a whole bunch of new Digimon too. From left to right:

Top Row - Snarizamon, Babungamon, Gogumamon
Second Row - Sangomon, Tobiumon, MarineKimeramon, Gosokumon
Third Row - Piranhimon, Legalexmon, Ghosmon

A lot of winners, design-wise, here. MarineKimeramon and Ghosmon in particular are standouts.

I like ‘em! They look a lot more like classic Digimon than what we’ve gotten lately.

Also I think the first one would be Sunalizamon, from suna (sand) + lizard. As for other name origins, Babungamon (baboongamon?) is obviously from baboon, sangomon is from sango (coral), tobiumon is from tobiuo (flying fish), gogmamon is from the welsh giant Gogmagog, regalecusmon is from the genus of the oarfish (regalecus) and Ghosmon... well, you know. I’m not 100% sure about gusokumon, but it might be from a type of lightweight armor called tatami gusoku.

If any of you guys have accounts on the major Digimon sites that keep track of names feel free let them know the correct romanizations! No credit necessary.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

I’m not 100% sure about gusokumon, but it might be from a type of lightweight armor called tatami gusoku.

:eng101: It's based on ogusokumushi, the Japanese name for the giant isopod.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like ‘em! They look a lot more like classic Digimon than what we’ve gotten lately.

Also I think the first one would be Sunalizamon, from suna (sand) + lizard. As for other name origins, Babungamon (baboongamon?) is obviously from baboon, sangomon is from sango (coral), tobiumon is from tobiuo (flying fish), gogmamon is from the welsh giant Gogmagog, regalecusmon is from the genus of the oarfish (regalecus) and Ghosmon... well, you know. I’m not 100% sure about gusokumon, but it might be from a type of lightweight armor called tatami gusoku.

If any of you guys have accounts on the major Digimon sites that keep track of names feel free let them know the correct romanizations! No credit necessary.

Sunalizamon would be correct if we weren't dealing with a franchise that's been consistently terrible at romanizing names. This is, however, exactly that kind of franchise, and the official romanization is Sunarizamon - even though both Digimon that had "-lizamon" in their name before had it properly romanized. Digimon romanizations are neither good nor consistent!

On that note, Sunarizamon, Gogmamon and Baboongamon were all added to the Digimon Reference Book. Wikimon already has the first one translated:

Sunarizamon's Wikimon page posted:

A Reptile Digimon that mainly acts in groups while camouflaging itself in desert areas. By regulating the volume of sand that composes its body, it is able to expand, contract, and transform its limbs and tail. It is difficult to identify its figure once it has blended in with the desert, and it is not unusual to think that there might be quicksand, but it ends up being a large group of Sunarizamon instead.
It defends itself from intruders with its "Grit Nail", where it transforms its forelimbs to being claw-shaped and scratches with them, and "Sand Blast", which shaves off the enemy's body with sand that it spits out aggressively.

Also people have been working hard on deciphering MarineChimeramon, and apparently it follows the same pattern as the original Chimeramon: 8 Adults, 2 Perfects.
https://twitter.com/Digielegidos/status/1269814903621193729

Ikkakumon's head, Coelamon's helmet, Whamon's shell, Rukamon's fins, Octomon's horns, Gesomon's tentacles, Ebidramon's left arm, Hangyomon's right arm, Seadramon's body and Zudomon's tail (though this one changes a lot, going from what seems to be fur in Zudomon to a much more menacing tentacle-like form here)

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 8, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m a big fan of these new digimon designs

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

marinechimeramon is what happens when you don't cut up those plastic holders that come on sodas, a whole bunch of digimon get caught up on them and end up fusing like a rat king

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

marinechimeramon is what happens when you don't cut up those plastic holders that come on sodas, a whole bunch of digimon get caught up on them and end up fusing like a rat king

Lmao

Balache404 posted:

:eng101: It's based on ogusokumushi, the Japanese name for the giant isopod.

Oh! The more you know! I wonder if the original animal was named after the armor?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm usually pretty lukewarm on new design but all of these are really solid designs.

Sangomon & Ghosmon are definitely my favorites

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

EDIT - nevermind, I was reading the name wrong

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 8, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sunalizamon would be correct if we weren't dealing with a franchise that's been consistently terrible at romanizing names. This is, however, exactly that kind of franchise, and the official romanization is Sunarizamon - even though both Digimon that had "-lizamon" in their name before had it properly romanized. Digimon romanizations are neither good nor consistent!

On that note, Sunarizamon, Gogmamon and Baboongamon were all added to the Digimon Reference Book. Wikimon already has the first one translated:

Also people have been working hard on deciphering MarineChimeramon, and apparently it follows the same pattern as the original Chimeramon: 8 Adults, 2 Perfects.
https://twitter.com/Digielegidos/status/1269814903621193729

Ikkakumon's head, Coelamon's helmet, Whamon's shell, Rukamon's fins, Octomon's horns, Gesomon's tentacles, Ebidramon's left arm, Hangyomon's right arm, Seadramon's body and Zudomon's tail (though this one changes a lot, going from what seems to be fur in Zudomon to a much more menacing tentacle-like form here)

I’m all for more sea digimon, non-humanoids, old school grungy design, and freakish chimeras so this is doing a lot of things for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like how MarineKimeramon continues the tradition of Kimeramon having a useless part from a Perfect-Level Digimon in having Zudomon's tail, just like MetalGreymon's hair.