Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Pretty much. I know we live in the hell timeline, but the clip of him talking about hydroxychloroquine saying "just take it. take it! what've you got to lose? i'd take it, just take it, you need it" is some genuinely horrifying stuff. It's not often you see him in full snake-oil salesman mode, and doing it surrounded by all the presidential regalia is serious glitch-in-the-matrix stuff.

I know I should be numb to the circus after 3+ years of this garbage, but that clip really just made me stop and think.

I was a little behind on this thread due to being busy at work, and this was the first unread post; I found it amusing that it took less than a month before we went from "just take it" to learning that he is, indeed, "just taking it" (or, alternatively, lying about it, like everything else.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atomizer posted:

(or, alternatively, lying about it, like everything else.)

Trump is always and forever lying about what he's doing, but he's also constantly doing the dumbest possible thing. In this specific instance he's claimed that he's been doing a very very stupid thing which means he's either lying (but also acting sensibly) or he's acting stupidly (but also telling the truth).

Since it's just not possible for him to act sensibly or to tell the truth this can only mean that he's stuck in a permanent liminal state where he's simultaneously sensibly lying and being truthfully moronic (and also simultanesouly doing both of them for the wrong reasons and in the worst and dumbest manner possible).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's possible his doctor is giving him sugar pills

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yep, note that the letter his doctor issued confirming that they'd discussed hydroxychloroquine very very carefully avoids saying that he actually prescribed it to Trump at all

https://twitter.com/anitakumar01/status/1262534996750929922

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Trump is always and forever lying about what he's doing, but he's also constantly doing the dumbest possible thing. In this specific instance he's claimed that he's been doing a very very stupid thing which means he's either lying (but also acting sensibly) or he's acting stupidly (but also telling the truth).

Since it's just not possible for him to act sensibly or to tell the truth this can only mean that he's stuck in a permanent liminal state where he's simultaneously sensibly lying and being truthfully moronic (and also simultanesouly doing both of them for the wrong reasons and in the worst and dumbest manner possible).

Yup, it's kind of breathtaking how he has to lie about everything, no matter how minor, (e.g. hand size, the dead veterans in the VA hydroxychloroquine study dying to spite him,) except he'll occasionally slip up and tell the truth about something (e.g. being able to shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any supporters.) That's why I'm not 100% sure if he's taking hydroxychloroquine or not, because it's totally something he'd do because he's profoundly stupid, yet it's also something so bizarre to lie about that he'd also do that.

The only thing more fascinating than how much of a malignant narcissistic pathological liar he is is how so many CHUDs actually fall for his bullshit and remain in his cult.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, note that the letter his doctor issued confirming that they'd discussed hydroxychloroquine very very carefully avoids saying that he actually prescribed it to Trump at all

https://twitter.com/anitakumar01/status/1262534996750929922

I would genuinely not be surprised if he wasn't actually taking the active drug, because any competent physician wouldn't prescribe it to him for COVID prophylaxis, and of course he's stupid enough not to know the difference between real drugs and a placebo, (nor would he know how to perform a drug ID, or have the initiative to do so.) This is especially considering the rather severe side effects and also the fact that, again, he's stupid enough to OD himself because "moar drug = moar cure." I actually considered tweeting at him something along the lines of, "Sir, you're so brilliant and have huge hands, sir, but have you considered taking 10 times the dose of hydroxychloroquine to get 10 times the effect? The math checks out, sir!" but realized that would quickly get me banned as it's pretty obviously encouraging self-harm. (Meanwhile he and other Nazis get to continue to spew hate on the platform, but I digress....) :allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
We have the best placebos.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The post office bending and ruining the commemorative stamps i bought to help save the post office is probably the most post office thing

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2020

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wanna buy that onesie

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pretty cool that Oliver & co. ignored the biggest vulnerability with vote by mail to focus on red herrings. I'm generally in support of vote by mail, but we shouldn't just paper over concerns, rather honestly consider various risks, solutions and mitigation methods, and how best to implement vote by mail.

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article227148109.html

This is just the most recent example I could find, almost certainly there are more.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Yeah, here in St. Louis, there was a case a few years back where absentee ballots were used to steal a local election. The Post-Dispatch covered it extensively, and the details were laughably disturbing. People were being told that they had filed absentee ballots who had never voted. One of the candidate's relatives was even dropping off ballots that didn't stand up to any scrutiny, and a new election had to be held.

I'm not sure how well that would scale up, but pretending that mail-in ballots are somehow immune to tampering is short-sighted.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Pretty cool that Oliver & co. ignored the biggest vulnerability with vote by mail to focus on red herrings. I'm generally in support of vote by mail, but we shouldn't just paper over concerns, rather honestly consider various risks, solutions and mitigation methods, and how best to implement vote by mail.

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article227148109.html

This is just the most recent example I could find, almost certainly there are more.

I think that's the highest-profile example of vote-by-mail fraud, and considering they already did an episode on it (last February) I don't blame John for not going over it again. The Harris/Dowless scheme was pretty well covered, and while it's certainly still a risk, I guess, people are at least far more aware of the tactic. Plus, as in the following post...

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, here in St. Louis, there was a case a few years back where absentee ballots were used to steal a local election. The Post-Dispatch covered it extensively, and the details were laughably disturbing. People were being told that they had filed absentee ballots who had never voted. One of the candidate's relatives was even dropping off ballots that didn't stand up to any scrutiny, and a new election had to be held.

I'm not sure how well that would scale up, but pretending that mail-in ballots are somehow immune to tampering is short-sighted.

...when these schemes are inevitably uncovered, they result in new elections (and of course in Mark Harris' case, he didn't even try to run again.)

That's not to say there's no risk of mail-voting fraud, but these large-scale schemes are high-profile enough to get caught, and as mentioned in the episode, the overall effort required to commit each individual act of voter fraud (in-person or mail-in) is high. So the chance of voter fraud is far lower than Republicans claim (because they're simply trying to disenfranchise voters they know likely won't vote for them anyway, similar to their voter-ID efforts)...

...and that's what surprised me about the episode, that John didn't go into more exhaustive detail about how actual incidents of voter fraud tend to be in favor of Republicans. This is especially relevant considering Trump basically committed mail-in voter fraud himself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd suspect that the deficiencies in the piece was mainly that it was written as a rebuttal to conservative talking points, and conservatives tend to prefer to endorse conspiracy theories about individuals rigging things from the outside as opposed to the people in power abusing that power to stay in power. That means no voting reform, no talking about gerrymandering, no investigating the security of electronic voting systems, no investing extra money into running the election. Even the "deepstate" theories tend to ignore elected officials instead focusing on shadowy bureaucrats whose existence can't be proved or disproved.

A bit of a shame that they had written their segment before the protests really started kicking off, but at the current rate of things, it's still gonna be the biggest story next episode.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

And right on cue.... :rolleyes:

quote:

Derek Chauvin, the 44-year-old Minnesota police officer charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter for his role in the May 25 death of George Floyd, voted illegally in Florida in 2016 and 2018, according to a Florida attorney.

Chauvin is currently registered as a member of the Republican Party.

:allears:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1269707249221619713?s=19

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I don't think I've ever seen John this angry before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say the topic is broad enough for there to be lot of options for them to talk about. They did a piece on police militarization, but not about "nonlethal" police violence. There's the persistant bias against black people, the manifestly terrible responses to protests, the whitehouse calling in its own little private force, and the further implications of that, the totally blind republican commemoration of Tienanmen Square, the way that police unions proactively work to help cops get away with murder, NYC suspension of rights, the fact that police are often acting directly contrary to the orders of the governments they serve and even trying to intimidate their superiors, the purposeful instigation of violence, and the potential viral consequences of everybody protesting at once in every state spreading their spit and blood between eachother.

There's a whole lot of stuff happening all at once.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ignis posted:

I don't think I've ever seen John this angry before.

That fuckin ending, look at his eyes

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, he was pissed and angry. Rightfully so. Everything going on right now should piss everyone off.

But the way he ended the show was poignant, no final joke, no "And now, this:"

Just blackness and silent credits. Good stuff.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Hawkperson posted:

That fuckin ending, look at his eyes

Yeah. Also if you haven’t watched the full video from the ending I highly recommend it. Kimberly Jones gives the most impassioned and frankly best explanation of how and why things are currently happening.

https://youtu.be/sb9_qGOa9Go

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
John Oliver has been getting increasingly fed up and it's very exciting to see that, but also kind of scary and sad. Like, things are so poo poo that even the John Oliver, the toucan man with a koala chlamydia ward named after him, is no longer laughing.

"But doctor," he said "I AM John Oliver!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I can only imagine the phone calls between John Oliver and John Stewart right now. Its so clear why Stewart retired, and given the pace of 2020 Oliver is gonna hit that threshold in like September. Watch him have to testify/shame Congress into some obvious thing like Stewart had to for 9/11 First Responders.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

swickles posted:

I can only imagine the phone calls between John Oliver and John Stewart right now. Its so clear why Stewart retired, and given the pace of 2020 Oliver is gonna hit that threshold in like September. Watch him have to testify/shame Congress into some obvious thing like Stewart had to for 9/11 First Responders.
I think not having to do a show every day 4 days a week and interview people will help with longevity.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

I don't know if it's because he doesn't have access to a hairdresser due to Covid-19 or if he's just aging like a president (actual presidents, not ones who ignore responsibilities and hide in bunkers), but his hair looked very grey to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

swickles posted:

I don't want to start no drama, but Stewart's politics are a a lot more centrist than John Oliver's, and Oliver's still, in my opinion, too stuck in outdated ways of viewing the political landscape for the current political situation. This episode was great, but he should've been this radicalized about many other topics he talked about well before now. If anything, people like Stewart and Colbert who tried to "restore sanity" to politics instead of pushing to progress them helped pacify liberals into accepting what got us here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

From 1968:

quote:

How would you define somebody who smashes in the window of a television store and takes what he wants?

JAMES BALDWIN: Before I get to that, how would you define somebody who puts a cat where he is and takes all the money out of the ghetto where he makes it? Who is looting whom? Grabbing off the TV set? He doesn't really want the TV set. He's saying screw you. It's just judgment, by the way, on the value of the TV set. He doesn't want it. He wants to let you know he's there. The question I'm trying to raise is a very serious question. The mass media-television and all the major news agencies-endlessly use that word "looter." On television you always see black hands reaching in, you know. And so the American public concludes that these savages are trying to steal everything from us, And no one has seriously tried to get where the trouble is. After all, you're accusing a captive population who has been robbed of everything of looting. I think it's obscene.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jamesman posted:

I don't know if it's because he doesn't have access to a hairdresser due to Covid-19 or if he's just aging like a president (actual presidents, not ones who ignore responsibilities and hide in bunkers), but his hair looked very grey to me.

Another trump term Noah gonna look like Obama

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't want to start no drama, but Stewart's politics are a a lot more centrist than John Oliver's, and Oliver's still, in my opinion, too stuck in outdated ways of viewing the political landscape for the current political situation. This episode was great, but he should've been this radicalized about many other topics he talked about well before now. If anything, people like Stewart and Colbert who tried to "restore sanity" to politics instead of pushing to progress them helped pacify liberals into accepting what got us here.

This is where Jon Stewart is currently at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhaAoSm1NY

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of Stewart, it's really depressing to see him talking about the same thing in 2014 and realizing that nothing has changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KqDIPdCOg

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So much of the last few years hasn't been new problems being created out of nowhere, it's been exposing the big huge problems that were already there and simmering for a long time. Although to be fair, there were a few measures taken by Obama to relieve some issues that were directly sabotaged after he left office.

I kept on having deja vu about George Floyd because I kept confusing it with another big time where there was outrage over a cop choking a black man to death on camera. The main different thing about right now is that a whole lot of people were stir-crazy with free time on their hands, so there could be a whole lot more protests than there could normally be, and then that had a whole catalyst effect of more protests, more televised police brutality from the police cracking down on the protests, more protests against the even more police brutality.

I don't know how it's going to end. Usually with these things, it takes some kind of promise for large-scale reform, but the president has dedicated himself to sociopathic refusal to acknowledge human beings. It's not got any reason to peter out over time, because it's not like people have other things to do.

What I've seen are a lot of people comparing the cost of burglary juxtaposed next to the amount of money stolen by things like wage theft, or the amount of money that the wealthy made off of tax breaks and coronavirus subsidies (spoiler: a whole fuckin' lot).

Of course, I don't think there's even BEEN much looting or destruction after the first few protests got heated, because the media hasn't found many examples throughout the protests across each of the 50 states having them. It seems like more people have been killed than stores broken into. The people doing the numbers have moved onto calculating how ridiculously huge spending on police has gotten relative to literally anything else a city does.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of Stewart, it's really depressing to see him talking about the same thing in 2014 and realizing that nothing has changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KqDIPdCOg

You mean like

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God Grossman's loving disgusting

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Lurdiak posted:

Early Bugle era Oliver was as radical as you’re going to get a media figure to be.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Oliver occasionally is too much like the worst democrats, but compare this episode to the second one the show ever did. Back then, he approached the subject of gun control with a jokey nervousness where now he's willing to be forceful and tell the worst police apologists to gently caress off. There is a progression to how he acts, and it's heartening to see.

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene
Wow, that clip at the end was like a PSA against immigration. "I don't own any property here, so of course I'm gonna burn it all down. IDGAF". I have no doubt it was deliberately chosen to stoke the racist fears of centrist viewers. Can't believe people are falling for it and cheering how "leftist" Oliver is now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Did you honestly think anyone would fall for that? Come on now son.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:chloe:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Musharraf posted:

Wow, that clip at the end was like a PSA against immigration. "I don't own any property here, so of course I'm gonna burn it all down. IDGAF". I have no doubt it was deliberately chosen to stoke the racist fears of centrist viewers. Can't believe people are falling for it and cheering how "leftist" Oliver is now.

https://twitter.com/byjoelanderson/status/750914040529088512?s=20

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Musharraf posted:

Immigrants own property. Or at least, they can. And honestly the way that America works, it makes intra-national immigrants out of us all, pushed from place to place without really being able to put down stakes, although we only confer the near-perpetual non-citizen status to those who are foreign-born. But that's not what this is about.

The way most urban areas work though is that all the property gets bought up by obscenely wealthy landlords who just rent it out to increase their wealth. It's not really a good way of running things, and it leaves most of the residents of an area subject to the whims and irresponsibility of people who live a hundred miles away, but that's not what the unrest is about right now. You can look up Georgism or Communalism another day.

What the person in the clip is talking about is the fact that even though the legally normal humans are seldom allowed to legally own anything in a city, you often gain a sense of belonging in a neighborhood, which has been denied them because of institutional racism, especially by the police. The way I heard it, the looting in Minneapolis started with businesses that had a reputation for racism, but once momentum got going, other people with other motivations bent the momentum towards their own ends.

Although that was just Minneapolis at the beginning, and now across the nationwide protests, it seems like far more property damage is being done by police forces in a farce of brutality masquerading as keeping the order, even when you don't count the bodily harm.

And I've been having a problem with having too many :words: in me trying to get out lately, so I keep ending up writing these big long posts that go on weird diversions to other related incredibly broken parts of our society, sorry for that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Musharraf posted:

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't want to start no drama, but Stewart's politics are a a lot more centrist than John Oliver's

This was definitely true of Stewart circa GWB, but I feel like it's difficult to be genuinely "centrist" and also have human empathy in the current situation. Republican thought has shifted into such a racist and draconian place, I don't know what a "moderate" position between them and something human would even look like, or how someone argues for such a compromise in good faith. I guess Biden is attempting that, but I think he fell asleep in 2014 and hasn't absorbed new information since before Trump entered office.

"The police shouldn't murder people" and "immigrant children don't belong in cages" are characterized as Left positions now. Even something like Stewart advocating for fair compensation to 9/11 first responders was characterized by conservatives as some partisan Liberal ploy to exploit people's sympathies and squeeze socialism bucks out of them. He'd almost certainly be viewed as "a Leftist" today, and might even self-define as such.

Milo and POTUS posted:

gently caress you

For real. Speaking of a lack of empathy, watching that clip and having that reaction.