Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Watch The Willoughbys next, it's just REALLY good.

Roger that, will watch it tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J9V7JxxA-k

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like the new Looney Tunes that I've seen so far (first 4-5 episodes). Great animation, found myself laughing a lot.

Best thing is the return of woohoo Daffy (and possibly coded as queer? Anyone else getting that?)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Have there been any with Sylvester yet?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Have there been any with Sylvester yet?

You betcha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuJ1xMVqY0I

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Pick posted:

*and this does happen, Tai Lung for example was re-written late in Kung Fu Panda to be more evil because the original version they tested, people loving agreed with him lmao. like, not just edgy teens liking scar, normal people thought what had happened to o.g. tai lung was hosed.

i mean even in the final version he's definitely a 'cool motive, still murder' / 'he had a traumatic childhood' 'i'm having a traumatic experience right now' sort of character

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The first two Kung Fu Panda movies were both case studies in Terrible Parenting. Shen's parents failed to do something when they noticed he was going gunpowder-crazy and the fortune teller only made things worse with her vague as gently caress visions (I mean, what was she expecting to happen with that phrasing other than genocide? If that's the best you can do then make it more vague so that there is no target to go after, like "If you keep being a dick someone will kill you for it" would have sufficed. Doesn't matter who.) and Tai Lung was led down the garden path by Shifu's endless inflation of his ego, only made worse by the turtle being deliberately ~cute~ with his wisdom. Shifu was never going to be able to raise the Dragon Warrior, because he didn't have what it took himself to become it, so how the hell could he instill those virtues in someone else?

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 7, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Even with the others you can see Shifu was not a great mentor, Tigress trying so hard to win his approval that she lost feeling in her hands because he's too emotionally constipated to show he cares, not to mention while understandably frustrated this rando Panda got the title over his preferred choice he did more or less tell his disciples to bully Po out of the temple despite Po both showing persistence and a willingness to learn. Shifu basically went the other way in bad mentor-ship from what happened with Tai Lung.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It especially become bizarre because we know that Oogway wrote the Dragon Scroll. So he watched Shifu emotionally torture this kid, and as a result that's all the kid wants: access to the dragon scroll. To prove he is worth being proud of.

Now, the dragon scroll, as we know by the end, is actually just a reflective piece of paper so you can see yourself. And during the credits, we see that Po is showing it to loving everybody anyway. Even people who are not trying to learn kung fu.

So Oogway is a dick. Among other things, when he saw that it was starting to cause Tai Lung extreme emotional distress, he should've just taken him aside and been like, the dragon scroll is a gimmick dude. You're really good at kung fu, don't worry about it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's almost making an unintentional point that Po succeeded where the others fail because he was not raised in the rather toxic environment of Kung Fu where they had to constantly measure against other (emotionally unavailable) people's expectations all their god drat life.

Oogway seem like someone that buys completely into the 'You must find the answer yourself' school of learning, even when it's clearly not the right idea.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Watched Scooby earlier, not a very good Scooby Doo movie honestly, felt more like Blue Falcons film.

Also kids today love Simon Cowell right??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching The Willoughbys now, this movie is deranged 😸

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really like the style of The Willoughbys. I haven't been able to watch it all in one sitting though, the overall feel is of a Roal Dahl book that's just not quite up to his usual quality (i know its not actually based on Dahl.)

Oh it's based on a book by Lois Lowry. I like her work. But it feels like she was heavily influenced by Dahl for this one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the deconstruction of the power of love - it's powerful yes, but it's not only on the hero's side.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the deconstruction of the power of love - it's powerful yes, but it's not only on the hero's side.

Doesn't The Last Unicorn do something like that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the trailer of the Willoughbys has Gervais in it, is he in the actual film a lot? Because I honestly can’t stand him, even his voice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He's the narrator IIRC.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
He’s a cat who narrates but also features in the plot

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

So the trailer of the Willoughbys has Gervais in it, is he in the actual film a lot? Because I honestly can’t stand him, even his voice.

Just watch it in a different language with the subtitles on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just watch it in a different language with the subtitles on.

:hmmyes: smart

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't The Last Unicorn do something like that?

Essentially, yes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s time for Surf’s Up 2: Wavemania :shepface:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watchin Fritz the Cat and hoo boy

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talk about pawblematic!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What's the deal with that one

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:can:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was going down a rabbit hole on youtube of animated movie song covers (look up Elsie Lovelock who does amazing covers) and found the whitest video I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll6fLmUudFo

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 10, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i just watched the Sarah Z video on the onceler and it was the loving weirdest thing i have found out about fandoms

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Power Dad move

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Now I'm watching Quest For Camelot. The songs so far have been bland and sucked, and the human animation is generic and poor, but I like the design of the griffin so we'll see

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
all I know about quest for camelot is this is a really weird way to threaten a lady

but it works

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i just watched the Sarah Z video on the onceler and it was the loving weirdest thing i have found out about fandoms

I knew of it, but I had no idea about the wonderful detail that shippers didn't like the other characters so they just shipped Onceler with himself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Quest for camelot more like quest to emulate 90s Disney but failing in every way

All the musical numbers are desperately trying to recreate successful songs from Disney films

The villain song is like strolling into a pharmacy and asking for Be Prepared but the generic brand — it even has green fire and poo poo but the song itself has none of the charm or wit or wordplay of Scar’s song

The dragons’ song with them changing into various celebrity references from shot to shot is basically the Friend Like Me sequence redone by bored untalented people, what kid in 1998 would recognise a Sonny and Cher reference ffs

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The blind guy singing about how only he appreciates nature is literally Colors of the Wind coming out of the mouth of a white dude

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mom can we have timeless animated classics?

No we have timeless animated classics at home

Timeless animated classics at home:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Hedrigall posted:

what kid in 1998 would recognise a Sonny and Cher reference ffs
It’s for the parents

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Neon Noodle posted:

It’s for the parents

I had no idea who William F Buckley was, but my parents laughed at that part in Aladdin.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 11, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched a lot of TV Land in 1998 so I was that kid. Also Sonny Bono died that year so he was somewhat fresh in the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Mom can we have timeless animated classics?

No we have timeless animated classics at home

Timeless animated classics at home:

I actually think this song is pretty good and the animation is fun until it gets to that specific part in that gif and then it all just craters for me. I really like the animation in particular on the long nosed dragon.