Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

teenytinymouse posted:

I'm getting a couple of cats soon once we move house and I dunno how you recover when they die after being around every day for 10 fuckin years. Might have to get some geriatric cats with like 2-3 years left on the cloak to ease myself into it.

Delurking to say that, if that's even a remotely serious idea, it's a really good one. There are a lot of older and/or sick cats in shelters and they're hard to find homes for, so if you can give a loving home to a cat with less time left, you'll be doing a very kind thing.

Okay, that's all, back to lurking to look at the excellent rodent photos in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just remember it can get really expensive and sometimes time intensive to care for an elderly animal.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Also some people consider cats old at 12-15, but I had a friend who's cat just died and it was well over 25, he reckoned 28, and I've had two cats live over 20. They might be around longer than you think...

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Antivehicular posted:

Delurking to say that, if that's even a remotely serious idea, it's a really good one. There are a lot of older and/or sick cats in shelters and they're hard to find homes for, so if you can give a loving home to a cat with less time left, you'll be doing a very kind thing.

Okay, that's all, back to lurking to look at the excellent rodent photos in this thread

Oh it is 100% genuine! I volunteer up at an animal shelter and I'll be taking some older kitties home from there. I said to one of the girls I would prefer an older bonded pair and she was so delighted you'd think I'd handed her a cheque for a million pounds lol. I haven't met any of the cats yet as one person is doing all the work in there to keep social distancing and I only really work with the horses but I have waved through the window!

Nettle Soup posted:

Also some people consider cats old at 12-15, but I had a friend who's cat just died and it was well over 25, he reckoned 28, and I've had two cats live over 20. They might be around longer than you think...
Honestly the rehoming drop off is more like 2-3 when you can't realistically say they're a kitten anymore! People are terrible!

Kittens are stressful, I don't see the overwhelming appeal to be totally honest. We had 5 born in the shed when I was a teenager and that's enough kitten for me for a lifetime.

Here is Raggie to keep thread on track
https://twitter.com/Shannonmcn/status/1257798274800594945?s=19

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
we adopted a stray 12 year old maine coon and he is an amazing cat

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Hi everyone,

Wondering if you all can help me decide on something. I have a chin who's going on 10 years old. In the last year he developed dental issues (he seems to be favoring one side) and has had to have his incisors trimmed about every 4 months, and he gets a regular dose of medicam from me to ease any discomfort he might have. I love him a lot, but changing circumstances are making it so that I am wondering if I should find someone to rehome him, as I'm not sure I'll be able to keep him. My partner lost his job, which has effectively doubled rent and expenses for me at this point, and it's made me both think about the cost of vet visits but also consider downsizing to smaller apartment (currently have a 2 bedroom, with 1 room for chin/storage). He is otherwise healthy, loves to come out and see me, is still inquisitive and seems happy.

Is it worth looking for someone to take him? Is it bad to consider it, given his medical issues? Any advice on rehoming a chin this old?

I wouldn't be thinking about this usually, but the stress of the last few months have been a lot. Even having a pet is seeming like a luxury given how much it limits my apartment choices. I feel bad thinking about this, but I want to explore options and be pragmatic because I would hate to get to a point where it becomes a crisis I can't solve.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Little Death posted:

Hi everyone,

Wondering if you all can help me decide on something. I have a chin who's going on 10 years old. In the last year he developed dental issues (he seems to be favoring one side) and has had to have his incisors trimmed about every 4 months, and he gets a regular dose of medicam from me to ease any discomfort he might have. I love him a lot, but changing circumstances are making it so that I am wondering if I should find someone to rehome him, as I'm not sure I'll be able to keep him. My partner lost his job, which has effectively doubled rent and expenses for me at this point, and it's made me both think about the cost of vet visits but also consider downsizing to smaller apartment (currently have a 2 bedroom, with 1 room for chin/storage). He is otherwise healthy, loves to come out and see me, is still inquisitive and seems happy.

Is it worth looking for someone to take him? Is it bad to consider it, given his medical issues? Any advice on rehoming a chin this old?

I wouldn't be thinking about this usually, but the stress of the last few months have been a lot. Even having a pet is seeming like a luxury given how much it limits my apartment choices. I feel bad thinking about this, but I want to explore options and be pragmatic because I would hate to get to a point where it becomes a crisis I can't solve.

I don't have any chin experience myself but just wanted to comment that I'm sure there are rescues out there that could help you to rehome your guy, especially if he is still healthy, happy, and full of life. I assume the unsaid alternative here would be to put him to sleep, which doesn't really seem fair. It's possible you could even find someone who could foster him for a while until you get to a better place financially and may be able to take him back. It is totally worth your time to look for someone to take him.

This subreddit may have some info for you https://old.reddit.com/r/chinchilla/ I also found this list: https://www.chinchillarescue.org/links-rescue.html

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

Hi everyone,

We went through the same thing with Barry the chinchilla a couple years ago. We got his teeth trimmed once and he did fine for a few months, but really started to slide downhill after that. We weren't able to afford the regular teeth trimmings, and had decided to put him down, but he died on his own that same day. When we went to a chinchilla rescue place to get his successor, Chester, the woman who ran it had a whole room of chinchillas with similar teeth problems. She wasn't comfortable giving them new homes, and was just taking the best care of them that she could. So, in your situation, a rescue place might be willing to take him in. One thing that was interesting for us, was that Barry had spent 12 years as a breeding stud, and had a very unique color pattern (looking pretty :black101: I must say), and a lot of the chinchillas this lady had with teeth problems were a similar color. So it's quite likely that Barry had passed on his crummy tooth genes to a huge number of offspring. Poor Barry.

We're sadly having our own problems with our female, Nooblet. She was a rescue so we're unsure of her age, but she's probably about 15-16. In late April she started wheezing, and was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. We did a 2 week cycle of antibiotics, during which she nearly stopped eating/drinking, and lost a considerable amount of weight. The wheezing went away, but she still wasn't eating. Turns out she had a parasite, giardia. It's a bit hilarious that this is often called "beaver fever". This can lay dormant for awhile and only emerge when the animal gets sick. So we gave her medication for the parasite, which got better, but she's still barely eating and is visibly drooling. This points to the same teething issues that Barry had. We're hoping her teeth just grew extra due to her not eating, and she'll be fine with one trim, but we're not sure.

The beaver fever gave her some pretty bad diarrhea, which necessitated giving her an actual wet bath. The poor thing.

Being wet makes her look slimmer, but compare her weight to how she looked last year. She's lost over 25% of her weight. Now the good news here is that because she was pretty fat before, she's actually still a healthy weight. The weight loss isn't good, but her current weight is okay. Strangely, her energy levels have actually increased during this whole ordeal.

And, just to share some happy pics, this was Barry:

And this is Chester, who is probably 10 or so, and is doing fine:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Aww, Barry the Stud Chinchilla passed away? I'm so sorry to hear that :ohdear:.

Capn Jobe posted:

The beaver fever gave her some pretty bad diarrhea, which necessitated giving her an actual wet bath. The poor thing.

That is an expression of total betrayal and murderous plotting :ohdear:.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Thank you. No decisions yet but I am looking to rescues in the province to see if someone may have space. I'm more comfortable with that than the thought of trying to rehome him to someone looking for a pet. Even if I was 100% honest about his issues not sure I would trust people to understand until it was too late, or neglect them. I'm not in an immediate money crisis so will see what the summer brings.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Picked up some yogurt drops as a treat for my Hams while I was out getting some bedding, I was reading the feeding directons and it said 1-2 per day as a treat... That seems to be a bit excessive. Maybe one drop every two to three weeks, even considering that Dipper will ration out his treats over the course of a few days. Is this how people end up having those extra chunky hams that just sit around being lethargic?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

-CHA posted:

Picked up some yogurt drops as a treat for my Hams while I was out getting some bedding, I was reading the feeding directons and it said 1-2 per day as a treat... That seems to be a bit excessive. Maybe one drop every two to three weeks, even considering that Dipper will ration out his treats over the course of a few days. Is this how people end up having those extra chunky hams that just sit around being lethargic?

Dwarves get diabetes.

Also remember there are directions on the temptations cat treat pouch on how to give it as food.

But in all seriousness probably 1 every few days is fine for a decent sized Syrian.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I don't care about my hamster.
Don't get me wrong, he's living in an Ikea Detolf with a couple of inches of bedding on one side for him to dig in, Eco Earth on the other side, he has a big wheel and nice toys, gets good food(need to restock on mealworms), fresh water, and sand, but I don't CARE about him. I don't really see him much as he's usually asleep or hiding when I'm awake, no matter what time it is. Switching him over to paper bedding was fascinating as he never cared about aspen, but now has a proper nest for the first time and is making tunnels and stuff. He could happily live out the rest of his days not caring that I exist. That's fine with some pets, but I wish it was a little different with this one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
take some pictures of this incredibly lavish setup you've got using a goddamn entire ikea detolf as a hamster cage you madlad

and if you want to get more friendly with your hamster, might I suggest getting some disposable shirts(because they will chew holes in them) and letting them crawl around inside your shirt? eventually they'll get comfortable enough to sleep in your shirt and they'll dream and kick and peep in their sleep and it's the cutest thing ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/bigkiller0118/status/1276508737784524800

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

She’s lovely. She’s also getting calmer when we take her on the couch. I can let her run on the floor and after a while she comes back to my feet to say it’s time to go home.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mrfart posted:

She’s lovely. She’s also getting calmer when we take her on the couch. I can let her run on the floor and after a while she comes back to my feet to say it’s time to go home.

That's a crazed ball of fluff. She looks very much like our dear departed Hillary.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Was just relaxing on the couch with Dipper, watching a documentary on the Great Plains, Dipper was sitting peacefully in his granola box until the documentary got to the prairie dogs. As soon as the prairie dogs started to do the emergency warning call, Dipper became at full alert. It's like he could tell that the sounds meant danger, but couldn't process any farther than that because as far as he could tell he was safe inside his box where nothing bad could ever happen. He has since calmed down and is now sleeping peacefully, curled up in the corner of the box like a tiny croissant. The little dude has got to be one of the most chill hamsters I have ever had, except for when prairie dogs are about.

el fikus
Apr 22, 2007
peanut butter in places peanut butter does not belong
To my hamster loving goons, how do you think the smell of a Syrian compares to dwarves?

I only ever had syrians as a kid, and I recall their pee smells something wicked. Is it as bad as I remember? How much carefresh do you guys go through in a month? I have a 40 gallon breeder tank, but I've only cared for dwarves and robos as an adult.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they're gonna stink, best just get used to it.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

el fikus posted:

To my hamster loving goons, how do you think the smell of a Syrian compares to dwarves?

I only ever had syrians as a kid, and I recall their pee smells something wicked. Is it as bad as I remember? How much carefresh do you guys go through in a month? I have a 40 gallon breeder tank, but I've only cared for dwarves and robos as an adult.

In my opinion, Syrians have a more noticeable scent gland odor. The usual pee odor never really gets bad as long as you do regular spot cleaning, hamsters are usually good about keeping a designated bathroom spot. And the wheel, because they can't be bothered to go somewhere else to pee when they are in the zone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have to take coco's wheel away every day now because me going to bed is the signal for her to climb in her wheel and sit there incredibly loudly chewing on the yellow bit in the middle, completely defeating the purpose of a Silent Runner wheel.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I feel your pain. Pokè keeps food in her wheel...while running in it. It sounds just like a rock tumbler.

el fikus
Apr 22, 2007
The dreaded yellow thing! Enemy of all hamsters!

Thanks for the input on syrians. I lost the dwarf love of my life, Luna, a couple months back, and am contemplating a new ham companion maybe sometime soon. I currently have a robo named Petey, but he's too busy to sit still in anyone's hand!

Some pics, of course:

Our dearly departed Luna. I miss her so fuckin much. Only had her a year, and she passed suddenly in her sleep. I'm grateful that it was peaceful, but it was unexpected. She was always super curious and would wake up to greet us and get a drink whenever me or my partner got home from work. Definitely a special girl.

More Luna.

Petey, the robo. He isn't as "involved" with us as Luna was, but I enjoy seeing him when he gets up. Robos seem more sensitive to the light and ambiance of their environment, so it's a treat to see him.
He's a curious little bugger.

Sleepy guy in the corner of his cage :3:

el fikus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 22, 2020

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Used to love the sound of my hams running with food on their wheel. They would always do it after a cage cleaning, and it was just nice to know they were being healthy and active.

el fikus posted:

The dreaded yellow thing! Enemy of all hamsters!

Thanks for the input on syrians. I lost the dwarf love of my life, Luna, a couple months back, and am contemplating a new ham companion maybe sometime soon. I currently have a robo named Petey, but he's too busy to sit still in anyone's hand!

Some pics, of course:

Luna looks like she was a real sweetie! I don't think I've seen a ham with a look like hers before either, it's almost like looking at a little bear!

I recall someone in this thread mentioning that one ham that will always be special to you (Invictus?), and I've found that holds true for Bui Bui, my Chinese hamster. Had her three years, died almost two years ago, and still find myself broken up about her at times. It sounds like Luna is yours - which isn't to take away from Petey, since All Hams Are Wonderful. They deserve all the good things.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

el fikus posted:

Use a sandbox, makes cleaning easy and reduces smell drastically.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ColHannibal posted:

Use a sandbox, makes cleaning easy and reduces smell drastically.
I tried that and the only thing mine generally did was be extremely scared of it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rodent thread: the only thing mine generally did was be extremely scared of it

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sister just adopted three albino rats. Originally planned on two, but we couldn’t leave the other one behind in good conscience :unsmith:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Note to self: Putting guinea pig in box in the kitchen while you clean their cage does not guarantee they will not jump out, run all the way to your bedroom, and hide under your bed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

We have two guinea pigs and we need to take a weekend trip. We'll really only be gone completely for one full day since we'll leave on Friday mid-morning and we'll be back early afternoon on Sunday.

What should we do to ensure the guinea pigs are okay for a day? Just a bunch of extra food and an additional water bottle?

We don't have anyone who can pet sit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

me your dad posted:

We have two guinea pigs and we need to take a weekend trip. We'll really only be gone completely for one full day since we'll leave on Friday mid-morning and we'll be back early afternoon on Sunday.

What should we do to ensure the guinea pigs are okay for a day? Just a bunch of extra food and an additional water bottle?

We don't have anyone who can pet sit.

Redundant water bottle (or more if possible, might be overkill but lack of water would be my biggest concern), extra food bowls, find a way to leave a large supply of hay that they can't immediately soil i.e. in a hay manger or feeder of some kind.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Redundant water bottle (or more if possible, might be overkill but lack of water would be my biggest concern), extra food bowls, find a way to leave a large supply of hay that they can't immediately soil i.e. in a hay manger or feeder of some kind.

Thanks - we'll go overboard on water and food and we have a hay dispenser even though those pigs eat it so fast it'll probably be gone five minutes after we're out the door.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

me your dad posted:

Thanks - we'll go overboard on water and food and we have a hay dispenser even though those pigs eat it so fast it'll probably be gone five minutes after we're out the door.

Guinea pigs are extremely efficient poop making machines. The more food they have access to, the quicker they will consume it and immediately turn it into poop.

To be honest I don't think it's really advisable to leave them alone more than 24 hours, so I'd try to see if a neighbor can just pop in once to give them more hay and veggies or if there is a pet boarding type of place that might be able to take your pigs for the weekend. If this is absolutely not possible then I'd try to get a couple more hay racks or build something that can hold a lot of hay.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Somehow this is a combination religion/rodent post. My GF and her fellow lapsed-Catholic siblings apparently had a long-running joke/bet over whether regular folks can buy communion wafers. It turns out they can, even in bulk, and "altar bread" is the non-denominational name for this product. Naturally, we ordered up a bunch of them and have been finding things to do with them while we're stuck at home.

As it turns out, communion wafers are made from only flour and water, and are about one calorie each. Per some research, they are just fine for giving to chinchillas, though I wouldn't want to make it a regular thing. So we now have two christianized rodents. Also a fun fact: at least per Catholic doctrine, this is not considered sacrilegious, as this isn't the consecrated host, just regular bread.

Nooblet, in the second pic, is still having some sort of tooth problem. When she was at the vet about a month ago they did a teeth trim, but said she didn't really have any excess growth, just some sharp edges that may have been bothering her. She seems to have stopped losing weight, and is eating (albeit less than she did before), but she's still really drooly. So much that when she cuddles with Chester, her drool creates these smelly mats in his fur that we have to cut out. So we're pretty much in wait-and-see mode with her.

el fikus
Apr 22, 2007
I am super tickled by your chinchillas eating the potential(? If it's not yet consecrated? Idk religion lol) body of Christ.

Hoping for the best for Nooblet. Is their saliva that viscous that drool makes their fur mat? Or is it just hers, due to her condition?

Themata posted:

Luna looks like she was a real sweetie! I don't think I've seen a ham with a look like hers before either, it's almost like looking at a little bear!

I recall someone in this thread mentioning that one ham that will always be special to you (Invictus?), and I've found that holds true for Bui Bui, my Chinese hamster. Had her three years, died almost two years ago, and still find myself broken up about her at times. It sounds like Luna is yours - which isn't to take away from Petey, since All Hams Are Wonderful. They deserve all the good things.

She was a sweetie! And her colors were so cute. She had little white feet and a little white tail. I always got sun bear kinda vibes from her chest splash, too. :3: It was heartbreaking to lose her, because unlike previous hams, we just didn't see it coming. Hers was a wonderful little life cut short. It hit my partner really hard, because he has struggled with depression, and Luna lit up our lives. It's been as though that spark got snuffed out of him when she passed. I know time will help, but drat, it sucks.

Petey is nonetheless loved! He's a darling little guy and knows when you get near his cage if he's awake, because he'll run back and forth in front of where you stand, hoping for treats. Your Bui Bui sounds quite special, too! I'm stoked you got 3 years with her - that's wonderful. (And post a pic if you have any of her!)

el fikus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just gave all my pigs a bath, they were long overdue. Everyone mostly hated it, and one of them started out by screaming bloody murder, then when she realized this wasn't working, just went completely limp and gave up. Set her down in my little tub and she rolled on her side with all her legs sticking out, awaiting death. What a drama queen lmao

Now they're all fluffy and smell good and pouting at me :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rodents will never, ever accept taking a bath, except maybe rats who are smart enough to understand you're not trying to drown them

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hedgehogs love baths, although not sure if they qualify as a rodent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
They don't in a very objective sense.