Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Sleekly posted:

you get that back, at least what you keep of it. its very low stakes hands. the most I think is $1.20 per player per hand. something like that. biggest pots I've seen are maybe $7 to $8 bucks.

its also very slow. players coming and going add time too. you'll never get rich off it but its ok to do while cooking moonshine or something.

I think the max bet is $5 a game. Most people do low stakes betting, but occasionally you get someone rolling in betting $5 each time.

It lacks chat, and the animations for the dealing are so drat slow. It's not a moneymaker, but if you're watching TV or something it's fine as a distraction in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The majority play ridiculously and insanely, just like every other not real money poker or freeroll I’ve run into over my years. Same in RDR1. It’s too frustrating for the low stakes and payouts and not worth it. Good luck having any sort of appropriate bet or compensated upward bet respected.

Edit: Chat is excluded to avoid collusion. A sad but probably necessary subtraction. You'd think they could still allow it between hands though.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 31, 2020

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Finished my first play through at approximately 60 hours and starting another one immediately since online doesn't appeal to me at all. It's really one heck of a game. I didn't think anything could contend with Witcher 3 for my GOAT but here we are.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 2, 2020

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
60 hours....I just started playing beginning of May and had like ~170 hours somewhere near the end of Chapter 3 and not even halfway through the game before some bugs frustrated me into taking a break and playing online (escaping bugs by diving into even more bugs and modders :( dumb I know). Now I have 72 in online since May 20th and I'm only level 27.

This poo poo always happens to me--same thing happened with RDR1--and I usually take so long to progress through a game I end up never finishing it. Except for RDR1, I made drat sure I finished that.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 31, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Legendary wolf is shot. I really liked the area where it was too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I also found out that I had a horse that I'd accidentally bonded with lurking around. He just randomly showed up when I whistled for my main horse and now I've decided to max up his leves too. So far he's dumb as a brick and can't jump over the smallest obstacle. But we'll get there:unsmith:

Update: That horse is dead now. He remained a dumb motherfucker who was afraid of his own shadow to the end.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

help i fell back into the dumb cowboy game after thinking about it.

like today, I just grabbed some playing cards, did some moonshine story missions, learned the value of Paint It Black (spoiler: it's too loving valuable esp vs Revenue guys), and worked up a measly hunt for my trader role before said hunt got dunked on by the event that gives you 18 free goods easy.

am I missing anything or is it just "whittle away at roles, bank roll from Auntie Nazar's collection" since I hung round Lemoyne and gators still provide the big boy meat.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

widespread posted:

am I missing anything or is it just "whittle away at roles, bank roll from Auntie Nazar's collection" since I hung round Lemoyne and gators still provide the big boy meat.

Well, I’ve played like 80 hours of it in the past couple of weeks, and as I said in the Discord, everything structured and to make money gets pretty tedious.

I started with Collector because I got a free bag and used the online map to find stuff. Good money (maybe? Versus time spent and if you use Fast Travel) but it gets boring. Now I just collect stuff when I sense its presence nearby.

Next I started bounty hunting. Also gets repetitive, and sometimes even a lowest level bounty will send you completely across the map without being able to use fast travel for a pittance of money and some gold. I had one where it sent me from Wallace Station to St. Denis and because of mishaps the target got away. The role seems ok if you’re trying to get more gold and eventually learn some cool and useful skills, but it also gets boring. I’ve done one Legendary and while it was a change of pace, and a bit more difficult, the rewards were also disappointing. They probably go up on difficulty replay, but meh.

I probably get the most gold from daily challenges and streaks.

After that I started in on Moonshining because I had gotten some benefits from an Amazon/Twitch Prime free trial. It is also tedious, and at least at first does not make much profit versus the time with having to do missions to lower mash price, find/purchase flavor ingredients, and then if you lose just one bottle because of a small rock on a $82 delivery it subtracts $20 for a profit of $32 when you paid $30 for the mash. And that’s not including time and money for ingredients and lowering mash price.

Other players have not been much of an issue as I purposefully chose the West Grizzlies/Cattail Pond location for the shack by Wallace Station. WS has mail, a store, and bounty board. Nearby Valentine has everything else. Only issue has been trying to get my camp close by. Choosing Cumberland Forest seems to be the best bet because of the randomness of choosing Grizzlies or Big Valley.

Most Revenue Agent checkpoints (1 per run at that location) have either waved me through, been empty, or pulled me over and let me go. I’ve so far only had one that tried to arrest me and in that instance I just tore off in my wagon. Lost one bottle.

The only role I have not tried yet is Trader, but I imagine it is equally tedious.

The most fun in online free roam just seems to be the random unstructured poo poo that can happen in-between and outside of everything else. I’ve had mostly good or neutral player interactions. Wish more people used voice or not just posse/crew voice, but I can understand. It’s sad they did not implement at least some form of proximity text chat.

A lot of these role systems remind me of, and are based on, GTAO’s (obviously). But I don’t remember some of those being as tedious. Maybe they were but I’ve forgotten or it helped that I didn’t have to mess with them as much after I got rich.

I’m still enjoying RDO for what it is, but there sure are a lot of bugs, glitches, and downright annoying design decisions. I’m already drat tired of the forced cutscenes from that French gently caress every drat time I want to make a moonshine delivery.

Also a lack of focus and content of course, but that remains to be seen whether that improves over time and if they even have the financial incentive to. Some of the team have talked about some intriguing possibilities in a few interviews, but they may not ever happen or implemented to be just as tedious as everything else they’ve introduced.

Edit: Trader role is on sale for 9 gold bars, which is exactly what I needed. Stew pot, weapons locker and other Trader stuff also on sale plus apparently free resupplies.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 2, 2020

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

skooma512 posted:

After a point I was just like, you know what this loving sucks but I'm gonna laugh my rear end off anyway because it's so absurd. Imagine a line graph will a big valley in it, first I'm pissed and annoyed, and then I hit the bottom and my enjoyment went back up because it was such a farce.

I've never played a game so thoroughly committed to mauling me.

You gotta group up. Don't be a weird goon like most of this thread who tries to play the multiplayer mode solo

Also use defensive mode

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Defensive mode helps a lot - someone was riding near me, east of Armadillo at the bridge, and I pulled my wagon over to let them pass. They do so, I head into the covered bridge, dude whips around and rides back behind me, which seemed a little sketch. Then he goes aggro, and... tried plinking me with arrows. :v: Didn't feel like playing, so Auto-5 time - and kill markers appear - and I can see him healing as fast as he was getting damaged. Shitbird was hacking, but apparently couldn't figure out how to use his 1337 scriptz, because he ended up ragdolling *himself* around some, still alive, before stopping moving.

<shrug>

Rolled into town and sold off the whole carcasses I needed for the daily. Guess he gave up fuckery, because now non-hostile, he came up and started using the butcher too. (Kinda suspect he did so while alt-tab'ing out to his browser to find the modmenu instructions.)

Guess I could have given him the gift of flammable moonshine, but meh, all I was really doing was running around filling out some collections anyway.

Weird movement fuckery last night: horse kept disappearing out from under me as I was riding south to clear a hideout, ended up with the gluebait stopping movement towards the hideout entirely. Went in on foot, cleared it, and now *foot* travel was invisible-walling in one direction. Called in the hunting wagon, no more issues like that.

Get back to Armadillo, call horse, still despawning on me. Went to the stables, swapped horses a couple times, get out with SylvestrStallion (carcasses still loaded), time to get exploded... except I still have a map marker for the beast, and he comes when called. And despite the cead critters on the ground from the first one, he's still loaded. Skin the carcasses, go to butcher, sell off, and no more horsie issues.

Fast travel to the shine shack, drink heavily, play with the band, load up the wagon for a delivery... oh hey, either they implemented drunk driving, or more fuckery - weaving horribly while heading east, but that all stops before I get to the revenooers. Who inspect and let me go. No more nothing on the delivery, the run up to Manteca Falls for the collectible, and the run to the fence at Thieve's Landing.

Much later, get to Rhodes and start poo poo tackling people and lassoing them for dailies, and start getting exploded again. End up running to Trelawney's shack to dodge the cops, and I guess the hacker had gotten bored or kicked, because no more issues at all before I logged off.

I suspect I'm getting extra targetting because I'm high-level, and they get disappointed when I mainly don't give a poo poo. :downs:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I've gone defensive and man it does help.

Had one guy trying to kill me with a Lancaster as I'm trying to turn in poo poo for dailies.

Incendiary pump-action put an end to that. After he came and died 3 times and I had to go to the next town over for "murder." Which is retarded. It's murder to kill someone that literally just loving shot you?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've always been defensive.

Still doesn't mean blue dots aren't a continual source of annoyance lol

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Thought Defensive blocked you from some missions?

Or does it let you do role sales and stuff like Salvage and Trade Route?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

widespread posted:

Thought Defensive blocked you from some missions?

Or does it let you do role sales and stuff like Salvage and Trade Route?

I don't remember defensive ever blocking me from any content, there are just some missions where defensive mode will be automatically turned off when you start it (but not turned back on once you're finished, so be careful)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

First time playing story mode. Saw a dude get punched out and left unconscious in the middle of the street. Nice guy that I am, I thought I'd move him somewhere safer. Which is ... assault, apparently? Spent the night in jail for the crime of picking up a man. Lost all my money, including the money from my first bounty.

Also, this town's population is apparently 70% lawmen. Fuckers are everywhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got a message saying daily challenges are disabled. I don't remember if I did them last night.

Could I finally be free?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

skooma512 posted:

Got a message saying daily challenges are disabled. I don't remember if I did them last night.

Could I finally be free?

News to me - I did some late last night so today was covered, and I managed to pull out a couple more while lootriding.

Meanwhile, in Cheatertown, WHITEBOY_KILLER collected all the players in one spot to murder them, did it again, then (as I was loving off to go back to camp and drop off my critterbits) he got a bounty called on him. ($23 and change.) Debated going for it, but I figured he'd just cheat some more and then I found about eight gators spawned and gently caress that, I endangered a species.

Also, chasing a hawk egg I ended up overlooking Bacchus Station, where a delivery was coming in. So, Caracano'd a bunch of O'Driscolls; when the dude arrived he didn't have too many left out of my line of sight. :clint: If any of you saw a scarred whitehaired broad in a fancy red moonshiner suit and pimp hat, sniping away, :wave:.

Chasing a differnt hawk egg a little south from Colter, I ran across some poor half-frozen Del Lobo asking for a ride. When he pulled a gun, I warmed him up for the rest of his life by way of Bowie's Original Pigsticker and B'ar Remover. :ese:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Han Nehi posted:

First time playing story mode. Saw a dude get punched out and left unconscious in the middle of the street. Nice guy that I am, I thought I'd move him somewhere safer. Which is ... assault, apparently? Spent the night in jail for the crime of picking up a man. Lost all my money, including the money from my first bounty.

Also, this town's population is apparently 70% lawmen. Fuckers are everywhere.

yeah you kidnapping sicko! what were you planning to do with that man anyway?

(the game thought u had knocked him out and were stashing the evidence or taking him off somewhere to kill)

dont give help unless its asked for. even then u should have a gun ready and do a quick look about for any obvious cover/suss people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sleekly posted:

dont give help unless its asked for.

My pappy done raised me right.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I don’t blame anyone for wanting to get a solo lobby session or small friend only session working and it’s not because of other players, it’s because the online is substantially less buggy, janky, more responsive (menus, map, transition scenes), and way less prone to random disconnection errors. Also, wildlife availability is better, and so are the frequency of random encounters and events.

So in my experience (and others) it seems the majority of the issues are tied to session population, which is downright frustrating for a game mode that is supposed to revolve around other players, and that they have had like a year to work out these base level connectivity issues. It’s a bit mind boggling how it went wrong at such a basic level and over this long of a period.

And this is all coming from someone who was mostly fine and dealing with the issues until two infinite loading screens on shine deliveries in two different full sessions made them disappear and with it the time invested, and therefore drove me to solo sessions where I have not had the issue since. I miss the positive or neutral interactions with players, but I do NOT miss all the varied frustration from bugs and disconnections.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don’t blame anyone for wanting to get a solo lobby session or small friend only session working and it’s not because of other players, it’s because the online is substantially less buggy, janky, more responsive (menus, map, transition scenes), and way less prone to random disconnection errors. Also, wildlife availability is better, and so are the frequency of random encounters and events.

So in my experience (and others) it seems the majority of the issues are tied to session population, which is downright frustrating for a game mode that is supposed to revolve around other players, and that they have had like a year to work out these base level connectivity issues. It’s a bit mind boggling how it went wrong at such a basic level and over this long of a period.

And this is all coming from someone who was mostly fine and dealing with the issues until two infinite loading screens on shine deliveries in two different full sessions made them disappear and with it the time invested, and therefore drove me to solo sessions where I have not had the issue since. I miss the positive or neutral interactions with players, but I do NOT miss all the varied frustration from bugs and disconnections.

Yeah same. I spend a lot of time looking of deer and barely anything spawns. I can deal with the gankers, I've actually been having a lot of experiences where people just wave or ignore me.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

What's a working method to get a solo lobby? It's been a while but last I saw it was mostly temporary/luck.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

What's a working method to get a solo lobby? It's been a while but last I saw it was mostly temporary/luck.

Not much has changed - depending on your luck. :v: There's a GTAO solo lobby thing available on a modsite (not a cheaty one), but as best I can see if just automates the firewall trick (open appearance menu in-game, turn on firewall rule blocking certain ports, return to game) with an option to allow specific others in. (I'm a troubled loner, so :lol:) My most recent experience has been the solo lobbies will last only a short time and then repopulate/swap to a populated lobby, and/or CTD.

Non-solo seems to have stabilized a bit, as random stranger missions and the questgiver free roam mission are functions, animal spawns are variable but present, camp is usually non-disappearing/functional, and infinite loading screens are uncommon. Roll of the dice, I'd say.

CapnBeeb doesn't seem to have the same issues I do in using that GTAO program, though. :iiam:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ygolonac posted:

Not much has changed - depending on your luck. :v: There's a GTAO solo lobby thing available on a modsite (not a cheaty one), but as best I can see if just automates the firewall trick (open appearance menu in-game, turn on firewall rule blocking certain ports, return to game) with an option to allow specific others in. (I'm a troubled loner, so :lol:) My most recent experience has been the solo lobbies will last only a short time and then repopulate/swap to a populated lobby, and/or CTD.

The port blocking methods don’t result in CTDs they result in disconnections like blanket error x200000026 or whatever it is. Also transactions not working , camp disappearing, and sometimes missions not working.

Ygolonac posted:

infinite loading screens are uncommon.

Disagree. Yes they are not like they were around the holidays, but they happen often enough to wreck your poo poo.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Longbaugh01 posted:

The port blocking methods don’t result in CTDs they result in disconnections like blanket error x200000026 or whatever it is. Also transactions not working , camp disappearing, and sometimes missions not working.

Soloing has given me both the server error/disconnects, *and* no-message CTD with the "something hosed up, OK/Retry/Safe Mode" game dialogue box. I've also been getting at least four different error codes when they've popped.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Disagree. Yes they are not like they were around the holidays, but they happen often enough to wreck your poo poo.

I've been getting 80% or better non-buggered shine runs for the past couple weeks, even non-solo. Maybe three? inoperable shack issues - more that appeared to be "can't interact", but as I left it finally kicked in.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
That’s cool.

I just got my first moonshine delivery infinite loading screen on my first attempt of the day. In a 7 hour solo session that had otherwise been working perfectly fine.

Then on game restart/reload my textures were hosed up and minimap background missing as happens fairly frequently and the only way it gets fixed is restarting the game until it goes back to normal. This can take 2 or 3 tries.

Did I mention I’ve been playing support ticket tag with Rockstar since May 22nd about not being able to change any settings? And how every little damned settings change requires a restart? A workaround was found launching the rockstar games launcher independent of Steam/game, deleting local profile in its settings, then trying to change settings.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. And no matter what I do I can not change Score Volume to anything less than 100%.

I think you probably understand what I’m getting at here, if not, then lol.

Edit: Maybe I should mention the single player bugs too that made me take a break from it like my upgraded saddle randomly no longer being able to hold 5 outfits no matter how I tried to fix it, or buying a new horse becoming pointless because it would randomly be replaced by the default starting horse after missions and gently caress it if I’m going to do a pita mission again or load an hours old backup save for a drat horse that I shouldn’t be losing randomly anyway.

Edit 2: Another infinite loading screen on shine delivery. That’s 2/4. That’s 50%. Within a 4 hour span. Very uncommon.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 5, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lost my streak 2 days before the last bonus :eng99:, because it "couldn't connect" last night even after 3 power cycles and everything else being fine.

It's like the final gently caress you from Rockstar lol. Nice sandcastle, dweeb *kick*.

Whatever. I'm probably gonna try PS Now soon anyway. If I get the itch for rootin tootin maybe I'll play my old save or start over SP.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I did a legendary bounty after not playing for around 4 months and got an infinite loading screen. It was the first thing I did that required a loading screen. So I wouldn't say its uncommon.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Running around last night looting collectibles, stumbled across a revenooer roadblock, shot it to gently caress, and then the shine wagon arrives kiting more Feds. :derp: Followed dude around, mudering tha' poleece, until I accidentally popped the wagon with a shot - and immediately got a server disconnect.

Now I'm sorta wondering if a lot of the DC "errors" are modmenu fuckos kicking people for assorted fucko reasons?

Managed to complete more full-load sets, tho -currently dragging 10 sets of heirlooms, arrowheads, necklaces, earrings, eggs and rings. Multiple full sets of nearly everything else, mostly gotta fill out cards - booze and flowers are nearly complete but keep getting used for shine.

Went all the way up past Ice Station Colter chasing the last hawk egg, decided to check out the free roam marker and find Sadie and her undead not yet murdered husband. :unsmith:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Mod menus don’t kick people.

The lovely step-back-from-GTAO net code kicks people.

A guy dropped 50 dead cougars on me. That doesn’t disconnect me and I just switched sessions using change appearance.

I try to do something normal like walk aro—Alert You have been disconnected

Stop making poo poo up to make yourself feel better.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 6, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Found Marko Dragic murdered by his robot and then the robot sitting on a mountain. Probably for the best considering that Dragic had planned to create a robot army and take over the world.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Managed to complete more full-load sets, tho -currently dragging 10 sets of heirlooms, arrowheads, necklaces, earrings, eggs and rings. Multiple full sets of nearly everything else, mostly gotta fill out cards - booze and flowers are nearly complete but keep getting used for shine.

When you start selling off those collectibles pay attention to your ability cards, they get xp from the sales and I was able to buy and max all abilities I didn’t already have when I sold my full sets of everything.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I finished the main story and started the epilogue the other day but can’t bring myself to start playing again. I don’t know if it was the way the main story ended or how slow the epilogue starts but it kind of took me out of it. I guess I shouldn’t have started the last mission as quickly as I did. I never played the first RDR so maybe that’s why I don’t care too much about John.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
If you don’t do the epilogue you miss out on the greatest mission in the entire game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nash posted:

If you don’t do the epilogue you miss out on the greatest mission in the entire game.

Look the rancher's wife trying to gently caress you is good but I don't know if I'd call it great

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Nash posted:

"Yeah. Just me."

Games don't often give me chills, but that moment WORKS.

But not as much as having a hammer and a nail.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 8, 2020

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Crappy Jack posted:

But not as much as having a hammer and a nail.

This guy gets it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I really like the willie Nelson version of cruel cruel world shame if you get attacked by wolves like I did you dont really get to appreciate it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm getting ready to start RDR2. I loved RDR's story and exploring, didn't like scripted quests that were fussy and drawn-out, or getting chased by posses and mountain lions.

Any tips for getting off on the right foot with RDR2? I'm not in any rush to get through the content and am happy to take my time and get myself situated for later challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm getting ready to start RDR2. I loved RDR's story and exploring, didn't like scripted quests that were fussy and drawn-out, or getting chased by posses and mountain lions.

Any tips for getting off on the right foot with RDR2? I'm not in any rush to get through the content and am happy to take my time and get myself situated for later challenges.

I would just go in blind honestly. Take your time but thats it.