Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There are very few on-ear headphones and even fewer that aren't poo poo.

Maybe try find some Sennheiser Momentum on-ears, they're discontinued but can be found around ~$100-120 online still and are some of the best-built headphones I've ever owned or seen, rivaling my Oppo PM-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My mom wants to get my dad a pair of headphones that he can use to listen to both the TV (read: Vizio sound bar which has BlueTooth), and his computer (I'll confirm whether it's BT capable).

Assuming his PC does have BlueTooth, what's a decent set for under $100?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Wheeee posted:

There are very few on-ear headphones and even fewer that aren't poo poo.

Maybe try find some Sennheiser Momentum on-ears, they're discontinued but can be found around ~$100-120 online still and are some of the best-built headphones I've ever owned or seen, rivaling my Oppo PM-3.

Based on a couple of review scans, it looks like the Momentum 2.0 were slightly more portable (swivel-flat) and slightly less good? Does that sound right?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My mom wants to get my dad a pair of headphones that he can use to listen to both the TV (read: Vizio sound bar which has BlueTooth), and his computer (I'll confirm whether it's BT capable).

Assuming his PC does have BlueTooth, what's a decent set for under $100?

I really doubt the sound bar sends audio over Bluetooth. It’s surely a receiver.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

thepopmonster posted:

Based on a couple of review scans, it looks like the Momentum 2.0 were slightly more portable (swivel-flat) and slightly less good? Does that sound right?

Not sure, only ever heard the originals, but sounds about right from what I recall reading.

I'm not a fan of the originals due to them being on-ear, which irritates my ears, and I'm not fond of their tuning though the actual sound quality is good, but aside from those subjective issues they are spectacularly well made and feel amazing, and the original white ones are just gorgeous. Sonically not my jam, but design-wise some of my favourite headphones ever.

I'd forgotten I even owned them until reading that post and trying to think of anything that even comes close to that incredible list of requirements tbh

ddogflex posted:

I really doubt the sound bar sends audio over Bluetooth. It’s surely a receiver.

Yea I'd double check that, it's common for them to act as receivers but not as transmitters.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

ddogflex posted:

Also bluetooth transmitters are dirt cheap, I have two setup for my husband. $30 for Anker SoundBuds Slim+ because I have been really happy with the SoundBud Slim series in the past as far as price and battery life and the Slim+ supports aptX for low latency. Then find whatever genetic aptX transmitter you can find, I paid another $30-ish bucks for ours. Make sure both support aptX, it's specifically low latency and using other standards can cause annoying syncing delays with video. Hopefully you are using something other than TOSLINK for your soundbar connection, just connect the optical out from your TV to your Bluetooth Transmitter (They pretty much all have optical in but check) and when you want to use the wireless headphones just mute the soundbar and everything works fine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

kaschei posted:

I wore my BL-03s after taking a shower and the right earpiece is super quiet, presumably wet. Left in front of the AC overnight and it's still about the same. Is there anything else worth trying for $35 IEMs or do I just have to replace them?

Leave them in a warm dry place for a couple weeks. If they still don't sound right it's time for another pair.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You'll want to store them with a desiccant to dry them.

Commercial desiccants are obviously better, but white rice will do in a pinch.

Yes, literally, put them in a cup with white rice. It actually works, it always has, and anyone debunking it is an idiot who doesn't know how things work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Obviously if you have a bag of silica gel you can regenerate or test if it's still good, that's a lot better. Or just leave them somewhere tolerably warm that's dry, but you need a hygrometer for that and you want to ensure good airflow.

... the goon answer is to just run the AC, splice a computer fan into usb, leave it there and then use a hygrometer to figure out if it's dry enough. Anything above 40% is gonna make the process too slow to be useful.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Blowtorch

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ddogflex posted:

Wheeee posted:

Yea I'd double check that, it's common for them to act as receivers but not as transmitters.

Ugh, I didn't even think of that. It's probably the case.

Three Olives posted:

Also bluetooth transmitters are dirt cheap, I have two setup for my husband. $30 for Anker SoundBuds Slim+ because I have been really happy with the SoundBud Slim series in the past as far as price and battery life and the Slim+ supports aptX for low latency. Then find whatever genetic aptX transmitter you can find, I paid another $30-ish bucks for ours. Make sure both support aptX, it's specifically low latency and using other standards can cause annoying syncing delays with video. Hopefully you are using something other than TOSLINK for your soundbar connection, just connect the optical out from your TV to your Bluetooth Transmitter (They pretty much all have optical in but check) and when you want to use the wireless headphones just mute the soundbar and everything works fine.

Thanks, I believe it is connected via TOSLINK but I think it can be switched to something else. I'll confirm that next chance I get to visit my folks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grack posted:

Blowtorch

Well you'd only ever use rice if you're surprised by the thing getting wet, since a pro-grade desiccant is $20 for "lasts you forever".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Thanks, I believe it is connected via TOSLINK but I think it can be switched to something else. I'll confirm that next chance I get to visit my folks.

You can get TOSLINK splitters, they are powered and just complicates things with more boxes and power suppliers.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I've been using my Samsung Galaxy Buds for work meetings a lot recently. They start to irritate my ears after a couple hours even though I'm using the smallest size tips that still seal properly. I borrowed my wife's Airpods for a day and they solved the problem. Does anybody have experience with other wireless earbuds that are similar to Airpods, in the sense that you don't jam them into your ear canal? I need something with a decent microphone; I tried these and returned them because the microphone quality made me sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What's the recommendation for sports wireless earphones? I've been doing a lot of workouts on my own and the long cord from the phone to my ears is a drag. Airpods-like or "connected to each other but still wireless" is fine. It will be primarily for me to sweat in, and maybe some commutes where I don't want some heavy headphones on me (I have a Sony 1000xm3 and an Audio Technica M50x).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've had a set of Sennheiser HD6XX's for about a month now, and they keep making my head sore even after just 15-30 minutes. Any suggestions on what to do about that? I've tried bending the metal band and repositioning them on my head. So, try expanding them with a set of books?

Not opposed to trying something different either, I did mention I was looking at HD25's just a bit back, though I had a different use for those in mind. Anything terribly crazy about trying the HE4XX's instead?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 7, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nitsuga posted:

I've had a set of Sennheiser HD6XX's for about a month now, and they keep making my head sore even after just 15-30 minutes. Any suggestions on what to do about that? I've tried bending the metal band and repositioning them on my head. So, try expanding them with a set of books?

Not opposed to trying something different either, I did mention I was looking at HD25's just a bit back, though I had a different use for those in mind. Anything terribly crazy about trying the HE4XX's instead?

You've pretty much got it. When you're not wearing them, put them on a block that spaces them out, like something about the width of your head.
Also comfier earpads.

I love my HE4xx and they are definitely comfier but they are a completely different headphone. I like them both for different reasons. I'd take the 4xx over the HD25's every time.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You've pretty much got it. When you're not wearing them, put them on a block that spaces them out, like something about the width of your head.
Also comfier earpads.

I love my HE4xx and they are definitely comfier but they are a completely different headphone. I like them both for different reasons. I'd take the 4xx over the HD25's every time.

Couple hours in on the stretching, and I don't notice anything yet, but I'm not at all surprised. Anything particularly great about the HE4XX's? You ever tried a pair of 6XX's to compare comfort?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The 6xx isn’t even what I would call an especially-clampy headphone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nitsuga posted:

Couple hours in on the stretching, and I don't notice anything yet, but I'm not at all surprised. Anything particularly great about the HE4XX's? You ever tried a pair of 6XX's to compare comfort?

I own a pair of HD6XX and they're probably my favorite headphones. I use my HE4xx more though.
You won't notice a difference after just a couple hours. Leave it in a sunny window stretched over a couple books for a few days and maybe you'll start to notice a difference. Remove the pads first so they don't get crushed and lose their softness, unless you plan on buying new pads anyway.

eddiewalker posted:

The 6xx isn’t even what I would call an especially-clampy headphone.

I have to agree. OP must have a large head, or really soft and especially sensitive. I have a tiny head and they grip pretty good but I wouldn't say they have ever hurt me even after wearing them for 8 hour stretches.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, big melon and kind of a wimp. We’ll see what some stretching does.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Check out what Dekoni has to offer for the HD600/650/6xx replacement pads. Might do you a world of good.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Original 650 / 6XX pads are pretty much the comfiest ones. I have dekonis also but they are so chonky that the clamp is a bit stronger.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I got my hd58x on Thursday and spent most of the day listening to everything. I'm pretty happy with the sound, some songs sound amazing. I like things more bass heavy so I gave it a boost in eq and now I can appreciate a clean bass sound with imaging I didn't realize I was missing. The comfort I'm still getting used to. The pads are firm and have a thinner ridge that rests on your head so the clamping force thing is accentuated by that. I've been bending the metal part to help but trying not to do it too hard. But the velour is nice and soft. I've been looking for the best position for them on my head and band length. The inside of the pad is wider so my ears still rub on parts inside if I just stick them on. I also bought a new hanger for them since the brainwavz one I have wasn't long enough and cut into the headband and figured it would make a crease.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A couple months ago I bought the Dekoni "elite" pads for my TH-610. Due to recent world wide events it took about 2 months to get them. Anyway I can finally give my verdict.

If you own a Fostex TH-something those are the only pads you want. Be sure to add a pair of 3D-printed inserts as well because you'll need them.

They aren't the biggest ear hole in the world but they're soft so it's a non-issue. They are also far deeper than the stock TH-610 pads while retaining the original sound signature and improving comfort all round. No more ear bits touching drivers or anything else that isn't soft and plush. Really brings back that biodynamic thump that larger ear pads tend to lose.

End result: My beloved TH-610s are back on top of the list to listen to when headbanging to Carpenter Brut and similar.

Specifically they're 20mm front, 30mm back (ish) and your stock size ear hole somewhere in the middle of that, soft but the memory foam chosen was a good one so they don't compress too much.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 8, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sorbus posted:

Original 650 / 6XX pads are pretty much the comfiest ones. I have dekonis also but they are so chonky that the clamp is a bit stronger.

I've looked at getting Dekoni pads and I read some (??audiophile talk??) that actually the pads that come with the 650/6xx affect the quality of the sound at that most aftermarket pads make them sound worse which seems kinda hard to believe?? Also yeah honestly the stock pads are comfy enough for me after living with them for 6ish months.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dogen posted:

I've looked at getting Dekoni pads and I read some (??audiophile talk??) that actually the pads that come with the 650/6xx affect the quality of the sound at that most aftermarket pads make them sound worse which seems kinda hard to believe?? Also yeah honestly the stock pads are comfy enough for me after living with them for 6ish months.

Pads absolutely have a big effect on headphones. The porosity and driver positioning are big factors. Grados are almost bass monsters when you put a ring of tape around the pads.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 8, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

Changing anything about the pads on pretty much every headphone will affect the listening experience. Could be better, could be worse. You'll never know until you try unless you find someone who already has.

Sennheisers are unique in that the entire world can't find anything that improves the listening experience from the stock pads. However you can get improved comfort or "fiddle with" the sound delivery in a way you may (or may not) enjoy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jumped on the Jabra Elite Active 65T, first pair of True Wireless earphones for me. Any tips or "good habits" to speak of? Like, I dont' know, charging it to full every time, or always charge the earphones and the case together/separately, or maybe don't keep earphones in case if they're full?

I'm just guessing here, I don't know if this is a thing to worry about. I tried to look for tips but it's mostly just reviews that I find, and the occasional problem here and there.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Dogen posted:

Pads actually make a lot of difference to headphone sound, and almost always getting aftermarket pads will make headphones sound worse as it'll either strip away much of the bass or add a bunch of bass bloat, depending on the pads you switched from/to; there are exceptions, the Sennheisers are not among them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

Pads actually make a lot of difference to headphone sound, and almost always getting aftermarket pads will make headphones sound worse; there are exceptions, the Sennheisers are not among them.

Yeah, honestly I strongly recommend sticking with Sennheiser stock pads, they're integral to the sound and every aftermarket pad I've ever tried makes them sound much worse.

That said, my HE4xx are drastically improved in every possible way by the perf leather ZMF pads on there. It really depends on the headphone.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I know there are 3d printed versions, but has anyone ever made an aluminum replacement for the lovely plastic Beyer slider cases? It seems like the market has to be there, but I've never seen anything like that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Interesting. Thanks everyone for the comments, I just have a natural skepticism of claims about these things that I think is understandable, but I guess it makes sense that density of material/seal to noggin/changing driver position relative to earhole could make a difference. Glad I'm happy with the stock pads.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Dogen posted:

Interesting. Thanks everyone for the comments, I just have a natural skepticism of claims about these things that I think is understandable, but I guess it makes sense that density of material/seal to noggin/changing driver position relative to earhole could make a difference. Glad I'm happy with the stock pads.

Yea a lot of what makes a headphone sound a certain way has nothing to do with the driver itself, rather the distance and angle of the driver, seal and positioning around the ear, material properties of not only the pads but the backing materials, etc. Headphone drivers, at least dynamic drivers, cost somewhere between a few cents and a few dollars to make, poo poo's cheap. What makes cheap/bad headphones sound bad isn't necessarily that it's expensive material-wise to make a good sounding headphone, but that it's difficult to design and tune one that sounds good.

You should in general be extremely skeptical about anything relating to audio tho, it's a good mindset

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Yea a lot of what makes a headphone sound a certain way has nothing to do with the driver itself, rather the distance and angle of the driver, seal and positioning around the ear, material properties of not only the pads but the backing materials, etc. Headphone drivers, at least dynamic drivers, cost somewhere between a few cents and a few dollars to make, poo poo's cheap. What makes cheap/bad headphones sound bad isn't necessarily that it's expensive material-wise to make a good sounding headphone, but that it's difficult to design and tune one that sounds good.

You should in general be extremely skeptical about anything relating to audio tho, it's a good mindset

I guess that explains why the HD650 has gone from $500 to the 6xx model being like $200ish frequently (I paid less for mine with a coupon, even). They've recouped those design costs since it came out in 2003 and the thing itself isn't expensive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the "go-to" poor person DAC to get?

I've been using my motherboard with my DT990s from like, I guess the 80s and it sounds good but I can tell it could sound better. What do you suggest?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Dogen posted:

I guess that explains why the HD650 has gone from $500 to the 6xx model being like $200ish frequently (I paid less for mine with a coupon, even). They've recouped those design costs since it came out in 2003 and the thing itself isn't expensive.

Pretty much.

Broadly, Drop used to be MassDrop and their whole gimmick was in getting people to sign up to do a bulk buy direct from a manufacturer at a discount, and the HD6XX was originally a one-off collaboration which just loving exploded, being as you noted the famous high-end HD650 suddenly available new for $200. There were a handful more drops after that before they just sort of turned into a regular product they keep in stock. Since then Drop has leaned in heavily and they have some unique Drop-branded products as well.

Drop has actually had a pretty sizeable impact on the headphone world, the HD6XX then HE4XX and then later products have basically reshaped the reasonably-priced market and made a lot of previously decent budget headphones obsolete.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been using my motherboard with my DT990s from like, I guess the 80s and it sounds good but I can tell it could sound better. What do you suggest?

Apple USB-C dongle for $9, I poo poo you not. If you listen loud it may not provide enough power, but there are other dongles which output more power for higher resistance headphones like the DT990, measure extremely well and run like $40-60. You can feed these into an external amp as well if you need the power.

If you want a discrete DAC, Topping E30 or previous model D30 which can probably be found a bit cheaper.

Best amp on the market all in all is the JDS Labs Atom at $99 direct from their site, it provides extremely clean audibly perfect power that's sufficient for any headphone on the market outside of some weird exotic poo poo you'll never see let alone buy.

yea or that

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 10, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Khadas Tone Board

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is having to reset and re-sync your AirPods a common thing? I don’t know how much of a big deal to make of having to do it on a weekly basis because they refuse to connect to my MacBook or my iPhone or whatever happens to stop working that week.

If it’s common I’ll just live with it, otherwise if there’s something wrong with them I’ll try to get Apple to replace them or something.

Like I’m super happy with them 99% of the time and then the one time I need them for a work conference call I have to go through a whole frantic troubleshooting and reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You might ask in like an apple thread, but no, my wife has a pair and has never had to reset them when switching between devices. Maybe like, one time. Certainly not weekly.