Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s ok to like a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hoping The Mummy reminds me of my weird girlhood crush on Brendan Fraser

Well, girlhood into adulthood. I wouldn’t say no, he can speak French and likes instant photography.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Mummy is bad and should be a WHM. It's bad in the same way that the Pirates movies are bad. Too much CGI at a time when CGI was not good. Never saw the sequel even though I really like (liked?) Brendan Fraser (I think the last movie I saw him in was GI Joe). Universal's whole approach to turn horror monsters into comedy action movies is still baffling. The tone is all wrong. Still better than that unwatchable Dark Universe remake with Tom Cruise though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I found both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns to be fun in an Army of Darkness type way, but obviously not as good or Three Stooges zany. The computer effects were indeed bad even at the time though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Either one of you did it, or someone else noticed:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1270017881032609792

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember The Mummy being a fun popcorn adventure type movie.

EDIT:

Tato posted:

I found both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns to be fun in an Army of Darkness type way, but obviously not as good or Three Stooges zany. The computer effects were indeed bad even at the time though.

Yeah, this.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

teen witch posted:

Well, girlhood into adulthood. I wouldn’t say no, he can speak French and likes instant photography.

The only thing weird is that you think it's weird

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The Mummy isn't a GOOD movie, but it's a kinda fun movie that is dumb, and it sorta knows it but doesn't lean in to that enough so it has a weird tone that's hard to pin down.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

teen witch posted:

You show me someone who would turn down 90's Brendan Fraser and I'll show you a liar, tbh.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Someone has George of the Jungle Fever

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
As someone who was going "drat he got Daddy Energy" watching Trust in 2018: no, Brendan Fraser could still get it and he deserves to, damnit

He wears this hat and is still one of the best characters in the show.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are great and look amazing in 4K. now The Mummy 3... that one should get rightfully eviscerated.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

dorium posted:

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are great and look amazing in 4K. now The Mummy 3... that one should get rightfully eviscerated.

Might be with you on the first, but the end of Returns never looked good in any resolution.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

There was a Mummy 3!?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, but it was YEARS after the second one and Rachel Weisz wasn't even in it, so no one cared. They squandered all the momentum on the Scorpion King stuff (of which there are now FIVE movies)

enigmahfc posted:

The Mummy isn't a GOOD movie, but it's a kinda fun movie that is dumb, and it sorta knows it but doesn't lean in to that enough so it has a weird tone that's hard to pin down.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it. It tries to have it both ways and doesn't commit as fully as it could to the dumb stuff since it's a major studio film. It needs that extra shove into absurdity that you get with Army of Darkness.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Tato posted:

Yeah, but it was YEARS after the second one and Rachel Weisz wasn't even in it, so no one cared. They squandered all the momentum on the Scorpion King stuff (of which there are now FIVE movies)

Today I learned there are more Mummy/Scorpion King movies than American Pie movies.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

As someone who was going "drat he got Daddy Energy" watching Trust in 2018: no, Brendan Fraser could still get it and he deserves to, damnit

He wears this hat and is still one of the best characters in the show.

Oh
MY

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

His reason for disappearing from acting is kind of sad. He seems like a OK guy. I’m glad he’s doing better now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love The Mummy but I think it'll be a fun episode, there's plenty to laugh at and, you know, it's okay to like a movie.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I remember thinking Brendan Fraser was funny in that movie, as was that weaselly guy Benny who ends up becoming the mummy's willing servant.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
For some reason we had Bedazzled as basically our families only DVD for the longest time so after the Mummy that's my Brendan Fraser movie and I remember him being funny in most of his stuff.

Now I feel like Bedazzled should be an episode.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The worst thing about The Mummy films are how they physically ravaged poor Mr. Fraser. Glad he’s back in multiple shows now.

Also I think the Scorpion King franchise just exists as a charity to employ ex MMA and wrestler guys.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I remember thinking Brendan Fraser was funny in that movie, as was that weaselly guy Benny who ends up becoming the mummy's willing servant.

The scene of Benny going through different religious iconography praying to each god hoping one will save him is inspired

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Very important addition to the schedule

Episode 490 — Shrek the Third

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Brendan Frase is really good in the show DOOM PATROL.
And im both afraid and curious to experience CATS for the first time .

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Now I feel like Bedazzled should be an episode.

Is that film as horny as I imagine it? I always think I’ve seen it but somehow, but actually it’s Monkeybone I’m remembering.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Catsmentary is going to make the gang so angry and I can't wait :allears:

Also, WHM t-shirts are on sale for $13 for the next 11 hours or so. You can also get these designs as mugs, stickers, etc.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

teen witch posted:

Is that film as horny as I imagine it? I always think I’ve seen it but somehow, but actually it’s Monkeybone I’m remembering.

Horny in a farcical way, usually the horny is at someone's expense.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Is Cats streaming on any platform right now, or is it only a rental?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hockles posted:

Is Cats streaming on any platform right now, or is it only a rental?
only rental. if i gotta watch that travesty I'm glad I've got the WHM gang and a vial of lsd to do it too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

To me, The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are both straddling fine lines between amazing and terrible, just on the opposite sides. That fine line between so bad it's good and just plain bad. I legit love the Mummy, but I can understand it's not a great movie. I just don't care. I've seen it a million times, and I'll never grow tired of it. It's just fun. The Mummy Returns has most of the same ingredients it just...isn't. It's just bad. I can't even tell you why it doesn't work, but it's just on the opposite side of that fine line to me. And I'm not even talking about the truly HORRENDOUS CGI on the Scorpion King at the end, though that deserves mention. It's like it's going through the motions on trying to do the same thing as the first movie, but it added a kid and couldn't have Beni, and just lost the magic.

gently caress, I love The Mummy. Oh, for the time when we thought Brendan Fraser was the next Harrison Ford, and this was his Indiana Jones.

Marin Karin posted:

The scene of Benny going through different religious iconography praying to each god hoping one will save him is inspired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWR5RkWRTY

Agreed. Beni is a huge part of what makes that movie great. Kevin J O'Connor is someone who I always wish became bigger, outside of Stephen Sommers movies (he's in this, Deep Rising, Van Helsing, dude is the Greg Grunberg to JJ Abrams' Stephen Sommers).

"Think of my children!"
"You don't have any children."
"...someday I might."

My brothers and I quote Beni all the time. He's the perfect scumbag.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 8, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rageaholic posted:

That Catsmentary is going to make the gang so angry and I can't wait :allears:

Also, WHM t-shirts are on sale for $13 for the next 11 hours or so. You can also get these designs as mugs, stickers, etc.

how well do the tshirts sizes run? anyone know if they're accurate to the size or should you size up/down to what you normally wear?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

how well do the tshirts sizes run? anyone know if they're accurate to the size or should you size up/down to what you normally wear?
This will be the first WHM shirt I've bought but I've bought other shirts from TeePublic before and they've been accurate to size.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cael posted:

Full schedule for anyone interested, and holy poo poo am I ready for the impression town that will be 490.

Episode 487 — Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Episode 488 — Scooby Doo (2002)
Episode 489 — The Mummy (2001)
Episode 490 — The Expendables

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — No Country for Old Men
Animation Damnation — Scooby Doo Where are You?: "Mystery Mask Mix-Up" (s1, e2)
The Nexus: TOS: "Journey to Babel" (s2, e10) TNG: "The Icarus Factor" (s2, e14)
Gleep Glossary: Salacious B. Crumb
A Side Order of Sleaze: Basket Case
Quarterly Synch-able Commentary: Cats (2019)

I can't believe I actually managed to recognize that Scooby Doo ep from the title alone. It's the one taking place in Chinatown and it has the amount of respect for Asian culture you'd expect, complete with Shaggy and Scooby dressing up as Chinese people.

If I got to choose, I'd go with Creepy Cruise instead, since the explanation of the scheme is so nonsensical and contradictory to the rest of the episode that I'm dead certain this episode is what inspired the summation scheme in that South Park Scooby-Doo parody starring Korn.

...look, Cartoon Network reran Scooby-Doo a poo poo ton back in the day, OK? I'm guessing in about 20 years, Zoomers will have a similar level of recall over Teen Titans Go.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 8, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Turns out he's also a Pilot G-2 07 fan, which is the most correct of all opinions.

DangerDummy! posted:

Truly a good man. I used to buy those for work but they always vanished.

at my last job, I stored my hoarded 07s in a plastic box labelled "BODY FLUID CLEANUP KIT". Don't know what happened to the actual kit, but people quit making them disappear off my desk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, psyched for No Country for Old Men.

Finally caught up with the Melro210 stuff and have reached the point where I just want the Melrose stuff but agree that live stream episode doesn't work at all w/o the stream. I don't find the BH90210 episodes as funny and have sort of lost interest but, stilll, god bless these dudes for delivering so much funny for such a small price and I hope they never stop. My sanity and comedic distraction at my terrible job depends on them in several ways.

I hope one of those dudes still reads this thread and at least receives my compliments.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Listened to the Secret Window and Transcendence eps and the Johnny Depp impressions are a low key fav of mine. So is the coked up Quentin Tarantino impression. But who the hell is Jan?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Were any of the live action movies of 1960s cartoons that came out in the 90s/00s even semi-good? The ones that come to mind (Scooby-Doo, George of the Jungle, Dudley Do-Right, Mr. Magoo, and Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle) are all atrocious.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The Mummy ride at Universal owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Andorra posted:

Were any of the live action movies of 1960s cartoons that came out in the 90s/00s even semi-good? The ones that come to mind (Scooby-Doo, George of the Jungle, Dudley Do-Right, Mr. Magoo, and Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle) are all atrocious.

Speed Racer. Fite me if you disagree.