Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

CommonShore posted:

At the initial announcement the UFC and Reebok made buzz about fighters getting royalties. I can't remember if it was explicit in those words, but they certainly implied it.

SA Forums Poster posted:

When the Rebok deal was initial announced Dana "would I lie to you" White said 100% would go to the fighters.

I'm not a lawyer but "Dana said or implied it at a presser" is not a contract.

The Reebok deal as we now know it has a set pay structure based on number of fights fought, with very specific numbers that obviously have nothing to do with actual merchandise sales, so obviously Dana loving lied about that.

He's gonna keep being able to lie about everything as long as a large percentage of the fighters in the organization (rather than just 3-5 loud dudes on Twitter) collectively demand better deals and get it in writing.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I remember awhile ago someone added up the numbers of the fight money for the reebok sponsorship and up to mid or end of 2019 they've paid out less than half of the money that was supposed to go to the fighters over the run of the deal.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Brut posted:

I'm not a lawyer but "Dana said or implied it at a presser" is not a contract.

I'm not a lawyer either, but getting paid $12,000 to fight in the biggest combat sport organization in the world is bullshit.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

He's gonna keep being able to lie about everything as long as a large percentage of the fighters in the organization (rather than just 3-5 loud dudes on Twitter) collectively demand better deals and get it in writing.

The UFC is a monopoly. They will cut you if you try to organize.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

SA Forums Poster posted:

I'm not a lawyer either, but getting paid $12,000 to fight in the biggest combat sport organization in the world is bullshit.

All this stuff about fighter pay is true, but tbh it has gently caress all to do with Jon Jones, the guy who canned an entire card when he had a tantrum. I don't get why you guys are acting like he's some sort of champion of fair pay :psyduck: If there's one thing he's been 100% consistent on his whole career, it's that he doesn't give one single gently caress about anyone except himself.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

SA Forums Poster posted:

Yo dude that's literally what I'm saying. Absolutely nobody in this thread is saying the 12/12 situation is a good thing, I don't know who you're arguing with.

Brut posted:

Fighters in the UFC making 12/12 is a problem, fighters with 10+ fights in the UFC making 40/40 is a problem.

SA Forums Poster posted:

The UFC is a monopoly. They will cut you if you try to organize.

So we're in agreement that Jon Jones should actually be the one leading a union instead of Leslie "who the gently caress?" Smith, because it will either result in a union being formed or Jon Jones being cut which seems to be what both the fans and he wants?

But if he just tantrums his way in to getting more pay for himself, I still have no loving clue why anyone thinks that would trickle down to other fighters. You bet your rear end Dana would be out there saying "Look at the millions I'm having to pay Jones, if it wasn't for that, I'd be paying all the other fighters more", this would be a lie, but he'd still say it.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 8, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I'm not arguing with anyone, just stating that every UFC fighter is underpaid.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

All this stuff about fighter pay is true, but tbh it has gently caress all to do with Jon Jones, the guy who canned an entire card when he had a tantrum.

The UFC canned the card. The UFC didn't have a signed fight agreement with Jon Jones. I would blame the UFC for making these cards so weak that if a main event fighter get injured, the rest of the card is so horrible it can't continue.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

UFC fans: fighters are independent contractors, if they want more money they shouldn't have signed the contract!
Also UFC fans: the fighters are at fault for refusing to do things that aren't in their signed contracts!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's possible for Jones to be a piece of poo poo and for him taking a stand over fighter pay to be good at the same time. Maybe good can come of it. Remember, we can take a big pile of horse poo poo and use it to grow pretty pretty flowers.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea he's not taking a stand over fighter pay though, he's taking a stand over Jon Jones pay.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fighter pay is a problem definitely and has been for years and without the fighters getting together Dana isn't going to give a poo poo about one lone voice shouting into the void unfortunately even if it is one of his biggest money makers

Edit: Removed a bad joke

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 9, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Dana White might not be able to afford that third gold plated gun, and will have to cut back snorting cocaine to just twice a day if fighters get more money.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Removed a bad joke

I saw it, and it was a good joke.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

SA Forums Poster posted:

I saw it, and it was a good joke.

Appreciated, but with the (rightful) seriousness of everything going on it's probably best to err on the side of caution

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

SA Forums Poster posted:

The year before Strikeforce was bought by the UFC, Strikeforce was paying out 75%, then 63% during the year it was acquired.

How much of that 75% was going to Fedor?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Fighter pay is a problem definitely and has been for years and without the fighters getting together Dana isn't going to give a poo poo about one lone voice shouting into the void unfortunately even if it is one of his biggest money makers

Edit: Removed a bad joke

And WME won't give a poo poo either because one of the Fertitta's selling points was that the UFC pays their talent so little and they planned on keeping it that way.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
One of the UFC's biggest draws standing up to them over their bullshit pay scale is a good thing, his motivations are irrelevant.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

SA Forums Poster posted:

In case you haven't been following along:

There is a class action lawsuit against the UFC about fighter pay.

To defend itself, the UFC submitted paperwork that showed that they pay between 16-18% of their revenue each year to fighter pay. (This number was submitted by the UFC directly, it helps their case to show a higher %, it has stayed under 20% for the past 8 years.)
NFL is around 48% of revenue to players.
NBA has been between 57-49%
The year before Strikeforce was bought by the UFC, Strikeforce was paying out 75%, then 63% during the year it was acquired.

Jon Jones is a poo poo head, but ALL UFC fighters could have their pay doubled, and still be taking a lower percentage of revenue than all of the other popular sports.

e: I don't have time to add in boxing, but if you compare UFC's top draws vs boxings top draws, UFC pay gets even worse.

ee: Multiple UFC media has mentioned that no UFC fighter they have talked to has ever gotten a royalty check from the Rebook deal for merchandise sold.

Don't forget that USADA testing is considered part of that 16-18%

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Also no one got a royalty check cuz no one bought that trash.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheReverend posted:

Also no one got a royalty check cuz no one bought that trash.

Because they pulled the good ones from the store before anyone could buy them

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

This is hilarious:
https://twitter.com/dilletaunt/status/1181998272358932480

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
love to start my salary negotiations with "not trying to be a dick"

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The Athletic let go of most or maybe all of their MMA writers, and have unlocked a lot of articles for us nonsubscribing plebes.

Chuck Mindenhall’s unlocked articles
https://theathletic.com/author/chuck-mindenhall/

Dundasso Creator, 10th Ring Master, Chad Dundas
https://theathletic.com/author/chad-dundas/

Shaun Al Shatti also posted the graphed results of the fighter survey they just completed.

https://twitter.com/shaunalshatti/status/1270061395099279363

Some cool stuff in there. According to the results: Jon Jones is the dirtiest fighter in MMA, Dana White is the biggest jerk, and the majority of the fighters support open scoring and 12/6 elbows.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CRISPYBABY posted:

love to start my salary negotiations with "not trying to be a dick"

Lol. Love to hire a manager with the email “beanz4@msn.com”

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FishBowlRobot posted:

Lol. Love to hire a manager with the email “beanz4@msn.com”

beanz1-3@msn.com was taken, you dickhead! and if you doxx me again, and it WON'T be "beanz;" "kewl" or otherwise

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whoever was saying Jones was just in it for himself better get their facts straight...

quote:

@JonnyBones
11h

If me sitting from fighting somehow helps some fighters in the future get taken care of better, well I did my job. You’re welcome

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nierbo posted:

Whoever was saying Jones was just in it for himself better get their facts straight...

Meanwhile, Cowboy Cerrone does a sweet kickflip on a wakeboard on his ranch while eating some P3 snacks and sipping a Budweiser.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1270379542373269510

We will forsake our countries...we will leave our motherlands behind us and become one with this earth. We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. We go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight. We fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the era we live in. We will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists. And yes, we may all be headed straight to hell. But what better place for us than this? Its our only home. Our heaven and our hell. This is Fight Island.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I don’t wanna make the song anymore.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

We will forsake our countries...we will leave our motherlands behind us and become one with this earth. We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. We go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight. We fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the era we live in. We will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists. And yes, we may all be headed straight to hell. But what better place for us than this? Its our only home. Our heaven and our hell. This is Fight Island.

:discourse:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

beep by grandpa posted:

:perfect:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1270384076508278784
4 out of 5 fights I'm in to watch. Pretty stacked

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1270389201863925760
Finally!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would move Volk Holloway to the August card but man 251 is stacked

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

also who posted/where is the "what he means is fight island is actually a peninsula" simpsons edit?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Can someone explain this 14/14 or 18/18 or whatever else? I have no idea what this means.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Faustian Bargain posted:

Can someone explain this 14/14 or 18/18 or whatever else? I have no idea what this means.

$14,000 to show
$14,000 to win

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
To clarify the first number is what you get just for showing up and fighting (show money) the second number is additional money you get if you win (win bonus)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

also who posted/where is the "what he means is fight island is actually a peninsula" simpsons edit?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

gob bless

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I don’t wanna make the song anymore.

Was there any partial version of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1270409418233053184?s=20

lmao this motherfucker is cursed. Wasn't he literally just in Vegas???

e: oh I see, this fight is on FIGHT ISLAND

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 9, 2020