Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm going through space force a second time and I liked it more the first time when I didn't see the third episode. That Congress scene killed a lot of my goodwill?

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean by Netflix formula? Seems like a bunch of dispirate projects with varyting degrees of quality and success?

Netflix uses algorithms to determine broadest appeal for their shows (see director of Maniac's comments about this) which leads to netflix shows all being very middle of the road risk-averse shows. Not sure if that is what the comment is about but this is what I think of when I think "netflix" formula.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh, yeah I guess that explains the billion netflix things I just gloss right over then.

It's weird they're so risk averse but I guess their only meaningful feedback is probably watching the view metrics. Seems like most people on Netflix are mostly there to watch some tv show they already saw a billion times so they could go wild and make some really niche stuff or critical-acclaim bait to draw in people too good to watch 30 rock forever and ever.

Gaunab posted:

I'm going through space force a second time and I liked it more the first time when I didn't see the third episode. That Congress scene killed a lot of my goodwill?

It just plays out so much like a conservative fantasy to me, even when they're trying to make fun of the military side. Watch PATRIOTS decimate AOC using FACTS and FEELINGS

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 4, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

What was with that meth-head kidnapping scene towards the end? Thats not fun.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Saucy_Rodent posted:

boy is Carrell's performance terrible. What's with the weird gruff voice that he can't emote through? Can't he just have a regular speaking voice, it's not like every four star general has lived a life made up of only smoking and yelling.

Ever since he got an Academy Award nomination for doing a weird voice while not emoting that's just his Serious Actor mode now.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Next season they should commit to a full war on the moon. It could look cool and horrifying hundreds of dead soldiers being walked back to base by their exoskeletons, culminating in the moons surface being nukes by China and the US. If the message is war in space is futile and grotesque then they should really commit to that.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Next season they should commit to a full war on the moon. It could look cool and horrifying hundreds of dead soldiers being walked back to base by their exoskeletons, culminating in the moons surface being nukes by China and the US. If the message is war in space is futile and grotesque then they should really commit to that.

lol they arent doin that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
doin what?, a second season? i sure hope not

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Finished watching the season, and there were certainly some good bits. Some good character scenes here and there, like Malkovich's scene where he gets drunk and poo poo-talks the chinese scientist. Chan and Angela talking about anime in the car was fun. Everything involving the monkey astronaut was bizarre and absurd.

But I was expecting more (especially after the second episode). It feels like a missed opportunity to make an actual satire. The tone is all over the place.

Avenue 5 surprised and maybe even horrified me a little, and I can't really say the same about Space Force. It (A5) is probably the better show, and with a fraction of the budget I bet.

Baudolino posted:

I'd love to see that.

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Much of the cast does their best, and it is certainly watchable, but boy is Carrell's performance terrible. What's with the weird gruff voice that he can't emote through?

I think that's supposed to reflect Naird's self-repression.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 5, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

itry posted:

Malkovich's scene where he gets drunk and poo poo-talks the chinese scientist

Baldy can act a bit. Not sure what he was going for with the accent but this scene was really real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enjoyed watching it I guess. Having been in the military, there were some bits that were funny that probably would fall flat for people without those experiences.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The abrupt turn this show took from Veep black satire to wholesome family comedy gave me whiplash, it's like the original writers left after episode 3.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
Yeah, the waffling back and forth on the military really turned me off. A real, "sure they're violent authoritarian assholes, but they're OUR violent authoritarian assholes" South Park BS. And the AOC poo poo was straight up disgraceful.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, I was wondering if that was supposed to be her. There were a few baffling lines/bits throughout the show. That was one of them.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I enjoyed that Pheobe was just in prison for *reasons.* Sometimes poo poo happens. It felt new.

Terrible show, though. And I watched all of it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

In prison for 40 years, iirc. I wonder what she's done? :ohdear:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

itry posted:

In prison for 40 years, iirc. I wonder what she's done? :ohdear:

I'm guessing DUI + homicide or something like that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was hoping it was something dark, like she posted something about the secret base on social media.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea it was pretty odd. Like how did nobody in any screenings go like, "Why is there not someone in his office after this?"

Seems pretty basic, the 1 running joke to have a climax at the end.

I mean...surely that's the joke? If he just had someone in his office at that point then it's so obvious you might as well not even bother.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PoultryHammock posted:

Yeah, the waffling back and forth on the military really turned me off. A real, "sure they're violent authoritarian assholes, but they're OUR violent authoritarian assholes" South Park BS. And the AOC poo poo was straight up disgraceful.

So what would the play have been then? They already had the old conservative who heard the magic keyword he wanted and he was fully onboard. The AOC analog made a decent point and demanded an answer and then Naird rose to the occasion and gave a decent answer for the valid complaint. The centrist lady was the only one with any real substance. I don't see what the issue is here. The show isn't fun if the leftists always win every argument. It's a world full of stupid people.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was a red herring of a question. Real lazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah AOC's question would never have been "why did you send an orange to the ISS?" it would be "why did you give $4B to LockMart to build a satellite that shoots nets?"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat, these fuckers actually got Kaitlin Olson to do an episode and still weren't able to make it funny...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I guess like I mentioned in the OP it reminds me of Disenchantment. I'm not here for constant laugh out loud jokes, but the feel of it is funny.
I dunno - that's more of a thing here in the UK and I don't think it is in the US.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jimmy O Yang was the best part of Silicon Valley while being surrounded by a great cast, so it’s no surprise he’s shining here too. I need to finish watching his stand up special, what I saw while pretty hammered had me laughing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea at this point I am completely on board the Jimmy O Yang train.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Taear posted:

I guess like I mentioned in the OP it reminds me of Disenchantment. I'm not here for constant laugh out loud jokes, but the feel of it is funny.
I dunno - that's more of a thing here in the UK and I don't think it is in the US.

I’m not sure comparing it to Disenchantment does it any favors imo.

I would agree in that neither show seems to quite know what they want to be and also they seem to want to be morally grey but instead end up being morally repugnant most of the time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think Disenchantment at least knew what it was going for, and is a pretty decent show.

I'm almost through Space Force and I still can't figure out if they are actually trying to make fun of the Space Force being a thing that exists, or if the show is some sort of weird advertisement for the Space Force...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It feels clearly to me like they're making fun, it's like the Thick of It.

I'm just mentioning disenchantment because the thread for that constantly went on about how "there aren't any jokes".

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The funniest joke of Space Force happened off-screen:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/trump-netflix-space-force-copyright/

Didn't get a single pop-up with ublock Origin...
vvvvvv

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 8, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wow 3 pop-ups with Ublock, Jesus christ...

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Taear posted:

In the Thick of It every character is blatantly a terrible person. More than that, any sparks of integrity or compassion or vision they evidence are crushed by a system that pushes them headlong towards their worst instincts. An actively malevolent figure serves as the embodiment of that system.

In this show, every single main character is meant to be charming or loveable in some way. The focus is on character relationships and wacky hijinks, not on systemic faults. What parody there is, is gentle, not cutting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

I'm just mentioning disenchantment because the thread for that constantly went on about how "there aren't any jokes".

I really gotta disagree. The thick of it would never have their main character give an impassioned speech espousing the nobility of their field and have that speech *be correct in universe*.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mcbexx posted:

The funniest joke of Space Force happened off-screen:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/trump-netflix-space-force-copyright/

Didn't get a single pop-up with ublock Origin...
vvvvvv

Trump will still be able to use this name, because real life is a parody of this show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It is also moot as hell. No military force on Earth gives two flips if someone has the term copyrighted for something. The UK copyright on "Air Force" isn't owned by the Royal Air Force or the US Air Force or anyone that's not a Spanish jeweler, as an example.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The US military might be the only one to make merch though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

The US military might be the only one to make merch though.

I know off-hand that the RAF definitely sells licensed products.

But, still, the USAF (as an example) doesn't even own Air Force in the US, because that's not their name anyhow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn’t even remember this existed until I saw the trademark story. Made me binge a good part of the season today and...

I really like it.

I can see it’s super divisive, but I went in with no expectations and I got mostly a sweet, funny TV show. It’s not going to be on any of my top 10 lists, but I don’t really jive with all the reports of it being a wasted opportunity. But this is why taste is subjective, so I don’t begrudge anyone their opinion.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

drat, these fuckers actually got Kaitlin Olson to do an episode and still weren't able to make it funny...

I totally forgot about her episode. Yea it loving sucked when she showed up and wasn't given any funny poo poo to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jerkface posted:

I really gotta disagree. The thick of it would never have their main character give an impassioned speech espousing the nobility of their field and have that speech *be correct in universe*.

They absolutely would. Armando is making fun but also saying it's good. You can see this in what he's said about politics since. Chris Langham's character was clearly meant as a nice guy in over his head, he's not a villain in any way. Yes Minister style.

Also while CBR is dumb this would be pretty funny if it was true.