Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You mean y'all didn't go for a perfect game? I'm disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Darts is pretty easy if you three-finger grip the analog stick

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I got Platinum and 100% on everything except for Barret's Chapter 14 scene, because gently caress that poo poo if it's not for a sweet, sweet, trophy (also Aerith's scene is one of the best in the game)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
All the chapter 14 scenes are good.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I thought the only way to do the dart game in 6 darts was 5 triple-20s and a bullseye for 300? I guess doing the math now yeah you could go for bullseye but I found those more of a pita to hit just right.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Five triple 20s and a 1 to finish up, no?

kaworu posted:

Any tips, as well, in general? Cool stuff or semi-secret stuff I might miss?

If someone offers to sell you info for a big chunk of money, pay it right away, as you may not get another chance and then you will kick yourself.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You need to get 7 darts to land first place. That means you can do six bullseyes and a 1.

If you want to go for a perfect game (which there is no reason for aside from bragging rights), it's five triple 20s and a 1.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Lobok posted:

The thing I don't love about the weapon upgrade system is it's hard to get an overview of everything. If you want to know what one weapon is good for you have to go into that weapon's system of cores and tab around and then also go into the Equipment menu to see its effect on your stats and then to compare to another weapon you're going back and forth into those two sub-menus for again. Same with Materia, which is just a display of coloured orbs. I would have preferred a list so I could see faster what everyone has equipped.

I've got drift in the left joystick so it's tough. Doubt I'll plat it anyway so it's no big deal. I did perfect the squat challenge.

I got tired of dealing with multiple weapon upgrade sub cores and stuff halfway through the game and realized there are modes for automatically using available weapon upgrade points - one focused on attack, one focused on defense or a balanced version. I started using that feature and never dealt with handling weapon upgrade points again

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Do you really have to do the Whisper Harbinger encounter all over again if the last phase kills you

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Do you really have to do the Whisper Harbinger encounter all over again if the last phase kills you

Yes, but not if you die to the subsequent boss.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished this the first time. I intend to play it again on hard. Can I still be spoiled or can I go to the spoiler thread?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah that's the big boy thread.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Agents are GO! posted:

That didn't answer my question. Maybe I didn't ask it properly: Have I "seen everything" or have I not seen everything from only having finished it once, and there are still big story spoilers that only happen when you play it again on hard mode?

If I go to the spoiler thread, will they be talking about stuff I haven't seen?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nothing storywise, just speculatiion.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

redreader posted:

That didn't answer my question. Maybe I didn't ask it properly: Have I "seen everything" or have I not seen everything from only having finished it once, and there are still big story spoilers that only happen when you play it again on hard mode?

If I go to the spoiler thread, will they be talking about stuff I haven't seen?

There's nothing new about the main story on Hard, but there are new combat simulators on Hard and then a cutscene with Chadley after you beat all of them

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Veib posted:

There's nothing new about the main story on Hard, but there are new combat simulators on Hard and then a cutscene with Chadley after you beat all of them

Thanks! Doesn't sound like an alternate ending or anything.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

redreader posted:

Oh no not at all, it's a short scene that's just about Chadley himself

Veib fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

redreader posted:

Haha, as much as you may wish the ending was different, that's all you're getting :p

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

You need to get 7 darts to land first place. That means you can do six bullseyes and a 1.

If you want to go for a perfect game (which there is no reason for aside from bragging rights), it's five triple 20s and a 1.

I found it considerably easier to go for triple 20s since if you miss and hit a normal 20 then you have a chance to hit a double 20 to recover.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes, but not if you die to the subsequent boss.

Unless you are a loving idiot like me and select the wrong option in the game over menu!

I think I may have yelled the gently caress word after I realized what I'd done. But by the third time doing the first fight, it was pretty easy!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Unless you are a loving idiot like me and select the wrong option in the game over menu!

I think I may have yelled the gently caress word after I realized what I'd done. But by the third time doing the first fight, it was pretty easy!

Just beat it (and the game) myself, the Whisper Bahamut was pretty easy once I used Cloud's limit to take down half its healthbar! It got a little unclear what the thresholds were for it to keep splitting apart again were, though. Just keep on smacking it, I guess.

Now that I'm finally Chapter Selecting around in preparation for Hard Mode, I finally went and finished off Leviathan, and, uh, maybe I shouldn't have waited so long after out-leveling it

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Dell_Zincht posted:

Haha, as much as you may wish the ending was different, that's all you're getting :p

I loved the entire game including the ending.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Where might a big boy find such a thread?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Where might a big boy find such a thread?

Here.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, I ain't ready for the big boy thread because I just got to Aerith's church. Incidentally, I am both impressed and pleased that they corrected her name from "Aeris" to "Aerith". Quite cool.

I'm still obviously taking my sweet time, but MAN OH MAN is this game fun and addictive or what?? I mean, it has been a LONG time since I played a Final Fantasy game - the last one I beat was FFX, and the last one I even tried to play was FFXII, which I ditched after 6 hours because there was so much overwhelmingly boring lore, and absolutely nothing in the game was holding my interest - like the worst combo of deeply slow pacing and combat game and memorably boring and dull characters. It was too bad because I wanted to like it. I didn't even give the FFXIII games a chance really, FFXIV was another MMORPG like XI and I really can't vibe with those. I did watch friends playing all of these and gave 'em a bit of a try, I just never bought them or played them - not FFXV either, even though it's got tons of eye candy and seems like the kinda thing I'd like.

I may actually go back to FFXV and give it a real shot - is the combat really like FFVII Remake? Because I truly am enjoying the hell out of the combat, which I find very unexpected. For literally like 20+ years, I've been one of those traditionalists who swears by turn-based battle in RPG and loves to go replay stuff like Xenogears and FFIV, complete with all the tedious random encounters and absolutely no speeding the frames up! At some point fairly recently this started to feel insanely tedious and boring, and I've been unable to enjoy playing any turn-based game for a while. I did replay Seiken Densatsu 2 (Secret of Mana) in its remake form and enjoyed the hell out of it, but that's pretty much it.

But all that said, I am REALLY getting into this game! Hell, it's downright addictive - it's been a long time since a video game grabbed me like this. The fact that it's an FFVII remake has very little to do with it, in a way. What impresses me so much is just how complete and polished the entire experience feels. There are so many tiny details, and so much attention was paid to the smallest things with regard to nearly every aspect of the world-building. I just find it deeply impressive already, and I've only seen Sector 7, really. It's a place in a world that feels utterly lived-in and complete, in nearly every aspect - its past, present, and future are all hinted at in various fascinating ways. I feel like I've learned and taken in more about the ENTIRE world of FFVII in the first 12 hours of this game as I did in the entirety of the original.

To be un-romantic about the first game, despite how great it was in many ways, the botched localization and graphics (it really looked more like a game from the 32-bit generation, to be fair) it just did not have the potential to communicate nearly as much information. That said, I never knock the graphics in FFVII usually and think it's a totally fabulous and great game with lots of depth. It just.... pales in comparison to what they did with this remake. And I think that speaks to how fantastic the remake is, and how much it exceeded my wildest expectations.

I should add that the core story of FFVII, which remains essentially unchanged, has never been more timely and pertinent for the current state of the world today. This is a game where there is no longer a medieval (or even semi-steampunk) land, ruled by a benevolent (or evil and soon-to-be-overthrown) king. Nope. Now there's a big faceless corporation ruling the land through good ol' Machiavellian exploitation of capitalist economics, using the exploitation and degradation of the environment and the subjugation of a vast underclass as the means to their power. Which doesn't sound familiar at all.

This is a game where you do not start out as a knight, or an innocent boy banished from his village, or a youngster with mysterious powers/abilities; nothing like that. No, this is a game where you're a mercenary working with a band of eco-terrorists who are perfectly willing to sacrifice innocent lives if it means saving the *planet* from destruction. Whenever I stop to think about this, I feel truly amazed at just how radical this game was, and is even moreso today.

gently caress, I ramble too much ._.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

15 has much simpler combat but with a much more open world to explore. So no, they aren't really the same, in a lot of ways they're complete opposites. But give the demo a go.

God, I really hope they open up the world in the next part and don't stay as strictly linear. The open world of 15 with the combat variety of this game would be incredible. Maybe the final installment can be this big blowout with an open world and shitloads of hunts and dungeons and stuff, so the magic never has to end. Maybe that's what they'll do for FF16 in ten years time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The most amazing thing about the Remake is that Cloud's hair feels faithful to the original and yet looks like a real haircut on a human being.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I really hope they don't go full open world. In XV the open world aspect was pretty bland and empty and certainly not one of the game's stronger points, and I don't think it'd work here either.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, this felt like the game where SE finally "got" how to structure these types of games in a way that feels satisfying, so I don't want them to try and go full open world like with XV. This game is like an amusement park ride, but it's a good one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, this felt like the game where SE finally "got" how to structure these types of games in a way that feels satisfying, so I don't want them to try and go full open world like with XV. This game is like an amusement park ride, but it's a good one.

It feels very much like God of War, which is not a bad thing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wow Leviathan is very unfun fight. Ill do this when Im OP as hell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Her name has actually been Aerith in English for longer than it was Aeris.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Aeris has sounded better in English for longer than Aerith has (it has never sounded good)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow Leviathan is very unfun fight. Ill do this when Im OP as hell.

Is it Tidal Wave? I got through that fight by topping up health in the time it takes for Tidal Wave to be unleashed so I could bear the brunt of it. I brought it up yesterday or the day before but I should have also been using Barrier to help with that. It can also be interrupted.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FF7OG literally has "Aerith" hardcoded into the game, they just put "Aeris" as the default name by bad localization. it's all their fault lol

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I am tho thick of thith dumbath nonthenth

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lobok posted:

Is it Tidal Wave? I got through that fight by topping up health in the time it takes for Tidal Wave to be unleashed so I could bear the brunt of it. I brought it up yesterday or the day before but I should have also been using Barrier to help with that. It can also be interrupted.

That and had no idea what I was supposed to do when he starts flying in the air for 5 minutes and I had nothing to hit him with. Even Barret had a melee weapon. Then a summon attack knocked him down but I got owned by Tidal Wave.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

kaworu posted:

To be un-romantic about the first game, despite how great it was in many ways, the botched localization and graphics (it really looked more like a game from the 32-bit generation, to be fair) it just did not have the potential to communicate nearly as much information.
It looked like a 32-bit game because it was one. Playstation was 32-bit. :) Yes, it shared a generation with the Nintendo 64, but that console was a relatively late entry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

That and had no idea what I was supposed to do when he starts flying in the air for 5 minutes and I had nothing to hit him with. Even Barret had a melee weapon. Then a summon attack knocked him down but I got owned by Tidal Wave.

Oh yeah, I didn't know either. I had Barret casting spells but it was really annoying trying to stay out of the way of those three waterspouts chasing me around. Is it too high up for Tifa and Cloud to melee? Not sure I even tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It doesn't help that Leviathan is available way earlier than you should actually be trying to take it down.