Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
According to my tracking I have one last draft to do (probably tonight) and that'll be the full set of rares, and I'm going to call that enough Ikoria drafts for me.

Played a bunch of Humans, Mutate, and Cycling, as well as a few oddballs like UR Spells and messing people up with Obosh. (RIP companions in Limited). The one thing I haven't really tried is reanimator, but the one time the cards lined up for me to potentially draft it I was already deep into cycling by that point in pack 2 and couldn't really pivot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, think I'm about done with these Omniscience drafts again. Entered seven times got the full reward in five of them, and the other two were 3 and 4 win rewards. I'm gonna be sad because I know M21 isn't gonna have this sickass collection of cantrips. I think M20 Omniscience might be my favorite game format. Somehow it actually feels balanced. The last game someone thought they'd trot out their Villis, but they didn't count on me drafting 4 Bone to Ash.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Clowner posted:

I'm somewhat1 miffed2 I went 1-3 with this cycling deck (draft, the p1p1 rare was death's oasis). If anyone wants to take a look and tell me what mistakes I made during draft phase, please go ahead, because I feel like everything I did in the draft phase was reasonable given my seat.

I saw some stingers and tapticians (one of which I didn't take on accident, I had a brain fart thinking it was a perimeter sergeant and took a 1 mana cycler instead) but not any other payoff creatures like rescuer or marmoset or even wolverine. I felt out another color and settled on blue after wheeling an essence scatter p1. In pack 3 I felt like I was really light on creatures after not seeing the aforementioned payoffs so I took stuff like cubwarden and heron over spells and cyclers to get my creature count to ten. I guess I should have cut some of those creatures plus some of my removal for 2-mana cyclers like barrier breach and wilt in my board?

I think in the end the biggest problem with my deck was the dearth of wincons, since I had just the one zenith flare. probably should have cut the higher-cost creatures from my final build and just mulled aggressively for the stingers or tapticians. But still I feel like everything I did during the draft portion was reasonable given my position. I didn't rare draft (I did allow the small justifiable indulgence of a copy of cubwarden p3 which I needed to round out a constructed deck), I made a point to cut off cyclers aggressively in p1 after drafting zenith p1p1 in order to hedge my bets against getting cyclers in pack 3, and after getting a decent amount of cyclers in p1 and p2 I attempted to round things out in pack 3. I ended up with eight (8) 1-mana cyclers and two 2 mana cyclers plus a cathartic reunion. three drannith stingers. 2 pacifisms and 2 essence scatters. It stings so much to put effort and resources into getting gud and just eating poo poo. got mana screwed in game 2 and flooded in game 4, the other two games I think I felt like my deck needed more "oomph." like a single copy of marmoset would have worked wonders. I know I made a poo poo ton of mistakes while playing of course (wish I recorded this round of drafts) but I'm struggling to see what I could have done differently during draft.

1: insanely
2: furious

Long story short is you had the best p1p1 that you possibly could have gotten and then tried to force cycling, which was never really open and your deck is bad because of it. You ended up having to play this 3 color monstrosity with a really painful manabase that likely cost you a lot of games. Really, seeing zenith flare p1p1 was probably the worst thing that could have happened to you in retrospect, as it really did lead you down the really wrong path here.Lets go to the play by play

Judging by packs, the deck you should have been in was Green/Black, probably splashing blue for heron and some interaction.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

house of the dad posted:

Deck
3 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Burning-Tree Emissary (GTC) 216
1 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
3 Embercleave (ELD) 120
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
8 Forest (SLD) 67
2 Gallia of the Endless Dance (THB) 217
3 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
2 Klothys, God of Destiny (THB) 220
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
6 Mountain (SLD) 66
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215

Sideboard
2 Cindervines (RNA) 161
2 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
2 Goblin Ruinblaster (ZEN) 127
2 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Rampaging Ferocidon (XLN) 154

This is the super basic netdeck list. Winota ban just went in so I took out the redcap melees and put a couple domris in, but I don't really know what's optimal in the sideboard now.

Yeah this is basically what I was running but with Tibalt in the board instead of Ferocidon and Domri over Klothys in the main. Deck feels really good right now at any rate, although punching through Soul Sisters is kind of a pain in Bo1.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this is basically what I was running but with Tibalt in the board instead of Ferocidon and Domri over Klothys in the main. Deck feels really good right now at any rate, although punching through Soul Sisters is kind of a pain in Bo1.

Klothys is a really cool alt wincon for when your board fizzles. I had an Izzet deck kill everything but couldn't get rid of Klothys, and with 6 life left it was just a matter of time. Good save for those games where you can't quite reach the kill.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Klothys is a really cool alt wincon for when your board fizzles. I had an Izzet deck kill everything but couldn't get rid of Klothys, and with 6 life left it was just a matter of time. Good save for those games where you can't quite reach the kill.

yeah after a few games i was like "ok 6 damage for 3 mana is fine" and occasionally shes the best creature in your deck.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Klothys is also very important against the Storm Herald deck since you can snipe the important enchantments out of the GY. I haven't found much use for the Domris so I've swapped them for 2 Gemrazers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If I have an old card on Arena and the set it is in has left standard, but there is a reprint in standard, can I use the card or do I have to re-craft it?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

house of the dad posted:

Klothys is also very important against the Storm Herald deck since you can snipe the important enchantments out of the GY. I haven't found much use for the Domris so I've swapped them for 2 Gemrazers.

Yeah I've come around on Klothys, the card does some serious work in a pinch. How are the Gemrazers working for you? I thought about bringing in a couple in the main but I feel like that's too much invitation to get 2 for 1'd.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

VictualSquid posted:

If I have an old card on Arena and the set it is in has left standard, but there is a reprint in standard, can I use the card or do I have to re-craft it?
You can use it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I've come around on Klothys, the card does some serious work in a pinch. How are the Gemrazers working for you? I thought about bringing in a couple in the main but I feel like that's too much invitation to get 2 for 1'd.

I put them in because I kept running into the tempered steel deck but I haven't queued into it or witch oven since I added them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VictualSquid posted:

You can use it, however it's a little weird if you're importing a deck. I'll use Opt as an example:

quote:

1 Opt (ELD) 59
1 Opt (XLN) 65

This is the same card with 2 different cosmetics - one from Ixalan, one from Eldraine. If you only have the Ixalan version and you import a deck with the Eldraine version (or vice versa), it will treat the card as if you don't have it. Arena will prompt you to recraft it, however if you know you have another version, you can search for it manually in the deckbuilder and simply swap it out. Right now Arena doesn't really acknowledge reprints for the purpose of importing decks, so some awareness of what you have is required.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

house of the dad posted:

I put them in because I kept running into the tempered steel deck but I haven't queued into it or witch oven since I added them.

Yeah I would love an update on this when you get a chance because I thought about crafting a couple specifically for all the enchantments and artifacts getting thrown around, but for two rare WCs and no other mutates in the deck I wasn’t sure if it was worth it.

Also Burning Tree is loving MVP

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Woo twice in a row now I've done the workshop events and got XP when I'm past the cap.

Yay(!)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

thespaceinvader posted:

Woo twice in a row now I've done the workshop events and got XP when I'm past the cap.

Yay(!)

That's awesome - I can't wait to get to level 80 and not have to play MTG daily

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah I would love an update on this when you get a chance because I thought about crafting a couple specifically for all the enchantments and artifacts getting thrown around, but for two rare WCs and no other mutates in the deck I wasn’t sure if it was worth it.

Also Burning Tree is loving MVP

I've been doing some games with Gruul in Historic this morning and tweaking my deck based on feedback ITT. Gemrazer is a nice 2-of include - you can mutate it on your small guys in a pinch, but it also kills Tempered Steel, Witch's Oven, and stuff like Anax or Daxos or Steel Overseer. Seems worth keeping around.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

That's awesome - I can't wait to get to level 80 and not have to play MTG daily

The F2P cap.

I play daily so I can do drafts (and because it's a reasonably enjoyable way to pass the time), I don't have the season pass this time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wouldn't say I love the Mastermind event (super random Magic isn't really my jam), but it's the kind of thing I'm glad they do anyway because it's interesting and doesn't cost anything while offering a minimal reward for people who play it, so there's only upside.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On a completely different not I was theorising about Sultai Flash with Rec the other day, and I went back to it. Came up with this.

Deck
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
3 Forest (IKO) 274
4 Slitherwisp (IKO) 208
1 Swamp (IKO) 268
3 Island (IKO) 265
2 Omen of the Hunt (THB) 192
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Sea-Dasher Octopus (IKO) 66
4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
4 Dirge Bat (IKO) 84
4 Cunning Nightbonder (IKO) 219
4 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
4 Quench (RNA) 48

It's super fun, a little unreliable, but untap with at least one Slitherwisp in play and Rec on the board, and it goes off like crazy.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

On a completely different not I was theorising about Sultai Flash with Rec the other day, and I went back to it. Came up with this.

Deck
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
3 Forest (IKO) 274
4 Slitherwisp (IKO) 208
1 Swamp (IKO) 268
3 Island (IKO) 265
2 Omen of the Hunt (THB) 192
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Sea-Dasher Octopus (IKO) 66
4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
4 Dirge Bat (IKO) 84
4 Cunning Nightbonder (IKO) 219
4 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
4 Quench (RNA) 48

It's super fun, a little unreliable, but untap with at least one Slitherwisp in play and Rec on the board, and it goes off like crazy.

Do you get enough value out of Wilderness Rec in this dec to warrant running it? Any reason not to replace the Omen of the Hunts with Shark Tornado, so you have something to dump a bunch of mana into?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Woohoo! Enemy color taplands have been announced in M21 so those were officially GOOD WILDCARD PURCHASES :toot:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

Do you get enough value out of Wilderness Rec in this dec to warrant running it? Any reason not to replace the Omen of the Hunts with Shark Tornado, so you have something to dump a bunch of mana into?

Sharknado I haven't really thoguht about, but the big benefit of the Omens is that they often cast for 1 or 2 mana, and they trigger Slitherwisp. Not to mention that the scry is a useful mana sink.

I get value out of rec basically every time I manage to get it to hit the table at all, because literally everything else in the deck is instant speed, so I'm frequently casting three or four spells in my end step and leaving mana up for Quench.

The Quenches might be better as Frilled Mystics, to be honest, given how often I'm holding them to use late and opponents never end up casting without the mana to spend, and how little I want to prioritise them early over getting down Nightbonders, and I can use the Borrowers to keep their tempo at bay until I can find a mystic. plus then my counterspells would often be uncounterable cantrips.

I'm not going for most optimal possible though, more for amusing..

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 9, 2020

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bust Rodd posted:

Woohoo! Enemy color taplands have been announced in M21 so those were officially GOOD WILDCARD PURCHASES :toot:

Do you get dupe protection in M21 if you have the older taplands? I'm asking in theory because I don't have the taplands anyway :D

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Reprints have never had dupe protection so I look forward to having two sets of temples that are entirely the same except for their set icon.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

house of the dad posted:

Reprints have never had dupe protection so I look forward to having two sets of temples that are entirely the same except for their set icon.

Maybe it's just rose tinted glasses but didn't reprints used to almost always have new art?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Maybe it's just rose tinted glasses but didn't reprints used to almost always have new art?

Not for core sets, generally reprints in new settings get new art to fit the flavor of the plane, but core set they just plug in whatever and whether a card gets new art or not is kinda just up to art budget.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

house of the dad posted:

Hopefully Arena implements the algorithm that they use for banned cards on the reprinted rares. With enemy Temples and Fabled Passage getting reprints in M21, a full 24 of 212 rares for a full playset (11%) will be worthless to me. It sucks!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any point to them reprinting Fabled Passage right now? It was not going to rotate out of standard, and by the time Eldraine does rotate, core set 2021 would have already rotated out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Is there any point to them reprinting Fabled Passage right now? It was not going to rotate out of standard, and by the time Eldraine does rotate, core set 2021 would have already rotated out.

It's the kind of land that the game benefits from costing $2 a copy, so they'll print it into the ground over the next 2-3 years.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

JakeP posted:

Keeping the paper price down mainly.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Huxley posted:

It's the kind of land that the game benefits from costing $2 a copy, so they'll print it into the ground over the next 2-3 years.

AngryBooch posted:

Keeping the paper price down mainly.

Oh, well that is cool then. Good job wizards

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Hopefully Arena implements the algorithm that they use for banned cards on the reprinted rares. With enemy Temples and Fabled Passage getting reprints in M21, a full 24 of 212 rares for a full playset (11%) will be worthless to me. It sucks!

I think I'll refrain from opening M21 packs just in case this happens but I don't think they will do it, even if people complain. It sucks that one of every 10 packs will be a wasted rare but we'll have to get used to it. It's another reason to use gold to play draft instead of opening packs, I guess.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
mastermind sucks a dick.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Looting + instant speed uncounterable reanimation from turn 4 onwards. That's the most kill-on-sight 0/3 I've seen in a while.

I wonder how comparable it is to Doomed Necromancer? It's 2 colors instead of 1, costs 4 mana instead of 1, 0/3 vs 2/2, but has the looting ability as well

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

Looting + instant speed uncounterable reanimation from turn 4 onwards. That's the most kill-on-sight 0/3 I've seen in a while.

I wonder how comparable it is to Doomed Necromancer? It's 2 colors instead of 1, costs 4 mana instead of 1, 0/3 vs 2/2, but has the looting ability as well

its too bad there is nothing worth reanimating in standard

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Drakuseth is worthwhile but he cycles out when she shows up... maybe Dream Trawler? Though you're only saving like 2 or 3 turns that way.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Drakuseth is worthwhile but he cycles out when she shows up... maybe Dream Trawler? Though you're only saving like 2 or 3 turns that way.
Paying seven to avoid paying seven when you could just ramp or lukka is bad

ALSO: The rotation is not at m21, how do people keep thinking this?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Anything you get with this can't be countered, and can come into play on your opponent's end step so its almost guaranteed to attack. Kogla is going to be a fun target if there are any playable artifacts or enchantments in standard (there will be).

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 9, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Time posted:

Titanoth Rex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zero VGS posted:

bad. relies on opponent to have no interaction. you want something that has a gamebreaking etb or instant speed ability. every deck like this has basically been reliant on a griselbrand/iona/grave titan type creature. Massacre wurm is a good utility creature coming into standard that would work, but its your plan b. You need a "this resolves I win on the spot creature"

also bad, see above