Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PostNouveau posted:

Is this the right place for YouTube drama? Because Bon Apetit is having a real one today

https://twitter.com/sarahmanavis/status/1270069650060083207

lol only the white people are getting paid CondeNast is garbage

That boss was horrible on camera anyway. Knew he was a douche just from that and I'm glad he quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Who is the person in this thread that said they were developing a Letterboxd for TV? Where is that at? I need it in my life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Me. Global pandemic really threw a wrench in the gears from a funding standpoint so we're running really barebones and our timeline blew the hell up. Technically the product is out there but it's janky as hell and nowhere near where it needs to be in order to be properly useful. I'd hesitate to recommend it here before we get some platform stability and implement some basic necessary features. But PM if you want to try it out anyway.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Is this the right place for YouTube drama? Because Bon Apetit is having a real one today

https://twitter.com/sarahmanavis/status/1270069650060083207

lol only the white people are getting paid CondeNast is garbage

Isn't 50k in NYC well below the effective poverty line?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

I dunno what the official numbers are, but I know $50,000 don't go too far in NYC.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oh jay posted:

It's just enough to pay rent on a cheap studio apartment and nothing else.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pentyne posted:

It's just enough to pay rent on a cheap studio apartment and nothing else.

No. It's just enough to pay rent on a room in an apartment with 2 roommates in Prospect Lefferts. "Where?" you ask? Exactly. A studio would be roughly a third of that salary alone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno what the official numbers are, but I know $50,000 don't go too far in NYC.

$50k is fine in the city if you don’t have a kid and don’t mind a roommate or two. 30k is when poo poo gets hairy, but there’s also an explosion of cheap and free things to do as long as you’re not plowing through $18 cocktails and $30 dinners

I had a friend who was paying $250 to sleep on a mattress under a refrigerator, he lives on a boat now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't have to live in New York City. Don't most people commute?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I made 45-50k when I lived in NYC and I rented a studio in Brooklyn, but it was in Bay Ridge so the reason it was affordable was that it was on the rear end end of the R line. Even getting to the tip of lower Manhattan was an hour commute and the R train turned into a pumpkin at 11, you’d have to deal with the N train now making every stop. 45 minute trips home from upper Brooklyn would take at least two hours. I would joke that The Warriors was a documentary about trying to get home on the late night schedule.

And for all this hassle I had the privilege of paying 925 for a 275 square foot studio. After a year I said “gently caress this” and moved to Massachusetts, where I could still walk to most things I wanted to do but could also go clear across the state in two hours... and paid 900 bucks for a 1000 square foot two bedroom to myself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

theflyingexecutive posted:

$50k is fine in the city if you don’t have a kid and don’t mind a roommate or two. 30k is when poo poo gets hairy, but there’s also an explosion of cheap and free things to do as long as you’re not plowing through $18 cocktails and $30 dinners

I had a friend who was paying $250 to sleep on a mattress under a refrigerator, he lives on a boat now.

How do you sleep under a refrigerator.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If it costs that much for middle class white people to live in New York how do the inner city black folk afford to live there?

Semi-related. I was listening to the latest episode of Blank Check today and Griffin said he grew up with a view of the Arch in Washington Square Park, I Googled/Wiki'd the area and wow, that guy must have grown up with some rich rear end parents.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Looten Plunder posted:

If it costs that much for middle class white people to live in New York how do the inner city black folk afford to live there?

They can’t. A lot of neighborhoods like Bushwick and Bed Stuy are getting a lot more expensive and pushing long-time residents out.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Fridge mattress would be a great setpiexe for a laugh track sitcom. I'd watch it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm trying to get caught up with Deadliest Catch and am lost with the format this season (my guide says it's a three-hour show). Is the first hour the actual show, then the second hour Josh and Casey's Made-For-TV Hawaiian Tuna Fishing Expedition, and then the third the Talking Dead-style recap hour?

Because I don't give a poo poo about anything other than the actual Alaskan grind, in part because it's the stuff which, in theory, should be the hardest to stage for reality TV.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a story a few years ago about somebody who was literally living under the floor of another apartment and it was effectively a 90 square foot "apartment" (which sounds like a death trap)?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I haven’t watched Deadliest Catch since Elliot Neese left/got kicked off. I actually enjoyed watching him, because I was like how in the gently caress is this guy a captain of a boat (it made me feel like if I wouldn’t get sea sick I could be the captain of his ship). But at same time I kept hoping he would square his poo poo away (at times he almost did, like the rescue episode). Also the whole Jake Anderson as a captain seemed forced and like he wasn’t really running the boat (same with Josh, that other dude was really the captain but for sake of the show...).

Jesus that is the most I’ve thought about the show in years. It was great background watching.

Fake edit: Just checked up on a few on the former deckhands. Jake Harris is in jail, and wtf Edgar Hansen of all people pleaded guiltily to touching an underage girl? Rumors are he is still part of the crew, that discovery just edits him off.

I couldn’t find information on Elliott (many rumors), but if he came back I would start watching again (especially since everyone hated him so much and that made me like him more).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

nate fisher posted:

I haven’t watched Deadliest Catch since Elliot Neese left/got kicked off. I actually enjoyed watching him, because I was like how in the gently caress is this guy a captain of a boat (it made me feel like if I wouldn’t get sea sick I could be the captain of his ship). But at same time I kept hoping he would square his poo poo away (at times he almost did, like the rescue episode). Also the whole Jake Anderson as a captain seemed forced and like he wasn’t really running the boat (same with Josh, that other dude was really the captain but for sake of the show...).

Jesus that is the most I’ve thought about the show in years. It was great background watching.

Fake edit: Just checked up on a few on the former deckhands. Jake Harris is in jail, and wtf Edgar Hansen of all people pleaded guiltily to touching an underage girl? Rumors are he is still part of the crew, that discovery just edits him off.

I couldn’t find information on Elliott (many rumors), but if he came back I would start watching again (especially since everyone hated him so much and that made me like him more).

The show went downhill fairly quickly a few years ago, pandering to the reality TV lust as opposed to the "showing a bunch of dudes catching crab in Alaska hurricanes" actually interesting documentary; you had the guy who was blatantly product-placing Bass Pro Shops, Elliot's real-life drama seemed to be made for the cameras, especially the time he went to the airport, was met with service for (child support? alimony?), and holed himself up in his truck, and I don't know how Keith Colburn and/or Wild Bill haven't killed their entire crews and themselves by now. As you said, Jake taking over for Elliot when he left felt too good to be true.

Jake is now running the Saga with Jonathan Hillstrand from the Time Bandit, presumably so he doesn't gently caress it up too badly.

e- Typically, I had like 4 things I'd watch on Tuesday nights and Deadliest Catch fell so far down the list for a couple years that I hadn't gotten back into it until now.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 9, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

Fun fact, one of the easiest things to break a car window with is a sparkplug. It's pretty freaking amazing how it shatters them.

I had heard it's actually just a bit of ceramic in there that does it, a tiny speck hard enough to shatter glass because of how physics be I guess. Always wanted to try it or buy a handful of those ceramic chunks to keep in my pocket just in case a swarm of cars attacks me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Non-windshield automotive glass is built to shatter in tiny, non-sharp, pebbles for safety (windshields obviously can't do that since they are subject to impacts and are instead laminated in several layers to contain shards.)

That's done by putting the glass under stress, basically tension. You know how if you look at car windows with polarized sunglasses on you see grid lines? You are seeing the internal stress the glass is under that was manufactured into it. That stress is what allows it to break into tiny bits since a crack cannot propagate far without unloading stress and causing other fragments.

That's also why the ceramic chunk works to take out car windows. It has enough bite to cause a small crack to form in the glass and that crack is enough to unload the stress built within the glass which causes the whole pane to shatter at once.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I didn’t even know Deadliest Catch was still going. I think I stopped watching not long after Captain Phil died.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Khanstant posted:

I had heard it's actually just a bit of ceramic in there that does it, a tiny speck hard enough to shatter glass because of how physics be I guess. Always wanted to try it or buy a handful of those ceramic chunks to keep in my pocket just in case a swarm of cars attacks me

I assume multiple parts of a spark plug can if you use it right, but yeah they're made with a particular type of ceramic that is very hard and breaks to very clean and sharp edges/points. If you have something that comes to a small point and is hard enough to not waste much energy deforming on impact, you can break the window with relatively little force since it's made to withstand glancing blows or ones spread over a larger area of the sort a car will more likely encounter (this is why those pointed window hammers will break it more easily than a regular hammer). With a piece of that spark plug casing you can practically just lob it against a window to break it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Today I learned some people actually knew all the different white guys on the crab boats

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An oral history of Wonder Showzen where they talk to the various people involved, including one of the "Beat Kids," Trevor.

One of the funniest reveals is that the sketch with Trevor dressed as Hitler was never actually supposed to be made. It was supposed to be so purposefully over the top that the network would reject it and they could get something else that wasn't quite as offensive made instead. Except MTV said to go ahead with it.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 9, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

An oral history of Wonder Showzen where they talk to the various people involved, including one of the "Beat Kids," Trevor.

One of the funniest reveals is that the sketch with Trevor dressed as Hitler was never actually supposed to be made. It was supposed to be so purposefully over the top that the network would reject it and they could get something else that wasn't quite as offensive made instead. Except MTV said to go ahead with it.

Wonder Showzen was so good and ahead of it's time. If anything the intervening years have made me appreciate it even more because seeing so many lesser attempts at the same thing just makes them nailing it that well even more impressive.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anywhere I can watch the show? It sounds like something I'd probably seen a clip or two of years ago

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GBS did a thread about Wonder Showzen recently, so I put on an episode and was super surprised that it hadn't aged badly at all. I just presumed it was going to come across as 2edgy4u poo poo after 15 or so years, but I laughed a bunch.

e: for dude above -> https://archive.org/details/wondershowzen

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The "Make Good TV" episode is genuinely one of the best things I've ever seen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wonder Showzen holds tf up

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Witty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu4T_vwxIU

lovely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNDA_Z2H0U

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Our long national nightmare is over

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1270487819912445952

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hahaha wow, I have a feeling that conversation was like "WHAT? THAT'S STILL ON THE AIR?"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
We're not free until the much scummier Live PD is canceled on A&E, keep that in mind. I believe LPD has a much higher body count!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Cops did have that one scene where a cop jumps off a bridge during a chase and fucks himself up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

END ME SCOOB posted:

We're not free until the much scummier Live PD is canceled on A&E, keep that in mind. I believe LPD has a much higher body count!

Yeah, LivePD is way loving worse. At least Cops was edited after the fact and (I’m assuming?) required release forms. LivePD is also way more voyeuristic and exploitive than the documentary-ish style of Cops.

gently caress them both though, good riddance.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
The best thing about Cops was talking the clerk into selling 12 year old me the Cops: Too Hot for TV VHS. It was not sexy, even to a 12 year old before the internet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think I may have been on LivePD :ohdear: lmao

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1270508265525387264?s=21

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what the gently caress

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Arist posted:

what the gently caress

Don't worry!

https://twitter.com/danabrams/status/1270519124561735680?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Been listening to this podcast tonight

https://twitter.com/AliciaLove/status/1270503071034949632

Enlightening. Episode 3 is about how they're full of poo poo with the releases that let COPS show faces. They're either faking them or the cops are coercing people in handcuffs to sign the releases during their arrests.