Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Back when Atlus Japan was running those live streams to tease Persona 4 Dancing, Arena, Q, and then eventually Persona 5 they would show clips from Persona 3 Portable and not FES. The few with animated cutscenes did get edited in to the videos but I don't recall seeing any 3D animations going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

projecthalaxy posted:

They are going to announce that they secretly made Persona 3 Platinum, which has the overworld and animated cutscenes but also Minako and the P3P gameplay improvements but also persona 5 graphics

I will then wake up and play $40 for p3p lmao

I'll pay $60 if they straight-up remove the male protag, Minako supremacy

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

jet li's The One but its minako ripping her way into every persona side game to kill minato and absorb his power

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Both protagonists are the same drat thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Minako is actually worse because you can only use spears.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Minako has a fun personality, better Social Links (including BFF Junpei) and is voiced by Laura Bailey. QED

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Its the spear that really sets her ahead, honestly

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Literally all you gotta do is give Minato the replacement s.links and he's just as good. I don't buy any crap about personality bc of a UI element change or like 3 lines of dialogue you can give being different....

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
spears kick rear end though??

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Minako is actually worse because you can only use spears.

To be fair the male MC is also stuck with swords (but not rapiers) in Portable

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Plus the joke-weapon naginata is a hockey stick, so you can pretend Minako is Canadian. No other persona protagonist offers you this capability!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The female mc seems like a more fun character but she also has the worst romance s link in the series.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Minako is better because being a cute girl is better.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This is literally the most passion I've ever seen anyone have about the P3 protag because there's nothing there at all

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Minato is a cute boy, and that's also good

Both P3 MCs are good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is literally the most passion I've ever seen anyone have about the P3 protag because there's nothing there at all

MInako is a huge ball of intense personality in Q2, and her dialogue options also lend itself to that

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Isn’t the persona 3 male mc basically that guy from fire emblem 7 who had no emotions and just mirrored whoever was talking to him? That’s definitely the impression I got.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Theo is the best velvet attendant too while we're at it. He's a nice young man! He does his best!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Sinister Rap posted:

Minako is better because being a cute girl is better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Minako is a pedophile.

Minato is just kind of a quiet loser.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

projecthalaxy posted:

Theo is the best velvet attendant too while we're at it. He's a nice young man! He does his best!

This is Demon Painter erasure.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Minako is a pedophile.

Minato is just kind of a quiet loser.

Hrm...Not a fan of this.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

spears kick rear end though??
They lose to axes, so they only kick moderate amounts of rear end. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Literally all you gotta do is give Minato the replacement s.links and he's just as good. I don't buy any crap about personality bc of a UI element change or like 3 lines of dialogue you can give being different....

There are actually a whole lot of lines of dialogue that are different, even in places shared between the two. Her dialogue is almost universally more peppy and energetic (which plays into her personality in Persona Q2 where she and Minato absolutely have different personalities.) Characters respond to her differently in-story and part of that is her gender. (i.e: Yukari is more likely to open up to her.) Her S.links are clearly written around the ideal of a female protagonist and you couldn't just find-and-replace them.

She has one weird romance thing that you can just not take and it is never an issue. Meanwhile the Persona 5 protagonist has like four different pedophiles fighting over him and ~mysteriously~ people argue about 'which is the best' instead of calling them all that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 10, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even remember the Ken thing very well at all but for some reason I had the impression that it wasn't like actively romantic on her part, just indulging his crush. I could very well be wrong, though.

ImpAtom posted:

Meanwhile the Persona 5 protagonist has like four different pedophiles fighting over him and ~mysteriously~ people argue about 'which is the best' instead of calling them all that.

southparknice.gif

Yeah, it's pretty hypocritical now that I think about it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Plus Maiko gets a crush on the male protagonist too. You can't date her, thankfully, but it's still weird.

...Then again in the female route doesn't her dad try to ask out the female MC? That's still weird as hell.

The lesson here is that Persona games are weird about romance between adults and not-adults.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

She has one weird romance thing that you can't just not take and it is never an issue. Meanwhile the Persona 5 protagonist has like four different pedophiles fighting over him and ~mysteriously~ people argue about 'which is the best' instead of calling them all that.

You can sort of argue that P5 has the whole pretense of 'criminals on the outskirts of society' with some of it. I personally disagree with it, but it makes some degree of sense with, like, Takemi; she's already an illegal back-alley doctor because she's been jerked around by authority, I could to a degree understand her giving little concern to when society says 'no' to things. I still think it's gross, though.

Basically all the others don't even have an excuse, either. Kawakami's the worst for it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are actually a whole lot of lines of dialogue that are different, even in places shared between the two. Her dialogue is almost universally more peppy and energetic (which plays into her personality in Persona Q2 where she and Minato absolutely have different personalities.) Characters respond to her differently in-story and part of that is her gender. (i.e: Yukari is more likely to open up to her.) Her S.links are clearly written around the ideal of a female protagonist and you couldn't just find-and-replace them.

She has one weird romance thing that you can just not take and it is never an issue. Meanwhile the Persona 5 protagonist has like four different pedophiles fighting over him and ~mysteriously~ people argue about 'which is the best' instead of calling them all that.

PQ2 gave her a real personality and that's good yeah but I think people vastly oversell how much actual character she has in P3P proper. And I didn't word it very well but by giving minato those s.links I just meant giving him party member s links not just copy pasting...I agree that her mode ends up better simply because of the s link changes and stuff but I don't think basically any of it has to do with her as a character and I find it weird to see people assert otherwise for so long.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

You can sort of argue that P5 has the whole pretense of 'criminals on the outskirts of society' with some of it. I personally disagree with it, but it makes some degree of sense with, like, Takemi; she's already an illegal back-alley doctor because she's been jerked around by authority, I could to a degree understand her giving little concern to when society says 'no' to things. I still think it's gross, though.

Basically all the others don't even have an excuse, either. Kawakami's the worst for it.

It's cool how the game opens up with a teacher whos abusing his students and also loving them, and that's shown to be bad (it is) and then also lets you gently caress your teacher and its presented as being good (its not)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Imp I've spent a lot of posts in this thread complaining about exactly this esp. w/r/t how the one with you blackmailing your teacher immediately follows the story about how evil the teacher is for blackmailing and abusing his students.

The ones in Persona 3 are also very bad

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone has defended the age gap romances in P5 here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Are you prepared for Patrick Seitz to take over the role, if Theo gets more lines?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Should have been able to be galpals with Maya. The innocent sin of P3P

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the p3p ken sl is kinda ehh but i was under the impression that it was really rewritten and removed all the gross stuff for the localization or something (could be wrong tho)?? but yeah the p5 ones Suck rear end, especially the teacher one :yikes:

wait speaking of the p3 teacher sl doesn't she also make some remarks about thinking her students are cute?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Booky posted:

the p3p ken sl is kinda ehh but i was under the impression that it was really rewritten and removed all the gross stuff for the localization or something (could be wrong tho)?? but yeah the p5 ones Suck rear end, especially the teacher one :yikes:

wait speaking of the p3 teacher sl doesn't she also make some remarks about thinking her students are cute?

Yes, and in her "conclusion" scene in March when she figures out Minato is Tatsuya she flips her poo poo, asks you out, then panics, hits you with a book and runs away.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They tried to downplay the romance aspect of Ken's romance but it's still there so they didn't downplay it enough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My problem is really that, come the gently caress on ZMB, we all loving know the Ken thing is gross, why do you bring it up every single loving time anyone talks about liking Minako as a character? It's really weird and doesn't actually make sense as some consistent principle you hold.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Booky posted:

At one point, she straight up tells you that she's going to abuse her position of authority because she's just that into Minato.

She ends up not doing that, because very quickly she realises it's a stupid, poo poo plan. But she still confessed to wanting to do it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And this is why Koromaru is the best Social Link in P3. He is a good dog, and goddamnit he should have been his own character in P4 Arena. No, I don't care that he'd effectively be an Amaterasu clone made by ArcSys, Koromaru does not deserve to be an assist character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think anyone has defended the age gap romances in P5 here.

At bare minimum it does not get brought up every single loving time someone mentions Joker.