Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
One of my favourite books when I was young was Galactic Tours, a fake Thomas Cook (UK travel operator) travel brochure about excursions you could take around the galaxy.

I’ve since found out that the artist for this, David Hardy, is up there with Foss for doing properly alien vistas and worlds. And this book is just packed with gorgeous, evocative art like this:

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/1268456869183586304

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/1033334249561223168

And I didn’t know about this theft!

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/1232992673692356608

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/634996506475528192

And this isn’t from the book, but is by Hardy and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Those are loving sick and I need them airbrushed on my walls.

Also airbrushed came up as a suggested word after typing the 'a' after sick. Don't think I don't see you Google, get your own account.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

John Berkley art on the cover of this book that I loved as a kid and still do:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think I miss sci-fi that makes the universe feel mindblowingly vast and empty.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The_Doctor posted:

I think I miss sci-fi that makes the universe feel mindblowingly vast and empty.

One of the things I enjoy about The Expanse is it regularly makes a point of this.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nine-gear crow posted:

Also for those who don’t know, the TTA books inspired the visual look of the Homeworld games.

The rebel Taiidan captain who helps you out at the end of the game, Captain Elson, is actually named after one of the more influential TTA artists, Peter Elson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Elson

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tochiazuma posted:

I loved checking this book out in the library in elementary school. I tried to track down a copy of it later to own and wasn't able to. Might look into it now though. Thanks for reminding me it exists.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Tochiazuma posted:

I always tried to sort out how his ships were formed and how they would function.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Romulan D'deridex Warbird is basically the coolest ship there is, with only the star destroyer holding a candle.

It is indeed in the top echelon of Cool rear end Space Ships

There's a part in the beginning of Star Trek : A Final Unity where a Warbird decloaks almost on top of a refugee vessel and that experience must only be pants-making GBS threads for the poor folks on board the little ship...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8qbc0WjByw

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I didn't browse all 6 pages so sorry if someone already mentioned them but: Culture Ships

They're not the most aesthetic design of ships but the whole idea of ships that are basically floating continents wrapped in fields is super cool.

No official art but some good fanart out there:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

free hubcaps posted:

ever since i was a lil' hubcap and found them in my school library ive had a love for the terran trade authority books and their very foss-esque spaceships

Those were dope. My primary school library had the first one (Spacecraft: 2000 to 2100 AD) and it was pretty much permanently on loan. I've managed to get the whole lot for about $10 each which is a steal.

This is another book in the same vein and it's worth picking up too:

Funnily enough it has a page with the Enterprise on it as a replica of a ship from an ancient Earth sci fi show.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

twistedmentat posted:

One cool thing about Expanse Ships is they're built like a building, not a ship.

That's why I love the early Alliance ships we see in Firefly:

Ships in Firefly have artificial gravity, but it makes sense for a ship that's only ever going to be in space to just be like a mini office complex...right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It definitely reinforces the "order above practicality" vibe they're shooting for with the Alliance. It suits them very well and makes them stand out-- in a bad way-- versus other ships we see. My only problem is that we don't get to see more Core Planet ships in the show itself to contrast it with.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

One of my favourite books when I was young was Galactic Tours, a fake Thomas Cook (UK travel operator) travel brochure about excursions you could take around the galaxy.

I’ve since found out that the artist for this, David Hardy, is up there with Foss for doing properly alien vistas and worlds. And this book is just packed with gorgeous, evocative art like this:

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/1268456869183586304

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/1033334249561223168

And I didn’t know about this theft!

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/1232992673692356608

https://twitter.com/davidastrohardy/status/634996506475528192

And this isn’t from the book, but is by Hardy and I love it.

These are so so good

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

It definitely reinforces the "order above practicality" vibe they're shooting for with the Alliance. It suits them very well and makes them stand out-- in a bad way-- versus other ships we see. My only problem is that we don't get to see more Core Planet ships in the show itself to contrast it with.

That was one of the things that disappointed me when we got to Serenity was that when we see the full Alliance fleet assembled at the end of the movie, it's just a bunch of generic space ships that blend together in boring mass like the end of Rise of Skywalker or Star Trek: Picard. The flying office building at least had some personality to it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nine-gear crow posted:

That was one of the things that disappointed me when we got to Serenity was that when we see the full Alliance fleet assembled at the end of the movie, it's just a bunch of generic space ships that blend together in boring mass like the end of Rise of Skywalker or Star Trek: Picard. The flying office building at least had some personality to it.

Yeah, shoulda been basically Manhattan coming thru space to gently caress them up

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, shoulda been basically Manhattan coming thru space to gently caress them up

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would accept this premise if they attached a couple of arms to a giant floating space Manhattan to fling a smaller, obsolete space city colony at the enemy like it was a loving BeyBlade

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I would accept this premise if they attached a couple of arms to a giant floating space Manhattan to fling a smaller, obsolete space city colony at the enemy like it was a loving BeyBlade

Residents of space Bronx look out the window like "you're loving kidding me, they threw us again"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

season six of stargate atlantis sounding great

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

This is pretty much what happened in G Gundam:

I'm terrible at links so:

https://youtu.be/43LCg8F2T4k

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
One of my favorite classic (rock) spaceships.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Squizzle posted:

season six of stargate atlantis sounding great

The plan for season six of Atlantis actually sounded like a weird acid trip. The city was going to be sitting on Earth's moon until a self destruct starts. It turns out the city wasn't supposed to leave Andromeda ever again so the Ancients told it to explode if it did....eventually. So they use the star drive to go back to Andromeda. Only it conks out halfway there and they end up stuck in another galaxy. Some of the stuff that has come out included Sheppard using one of the asgard battle suits like Iron Man and a lot of time travel plots.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Homeworld will ever be close to my heart with its fantastic ship designs, though since they have all already been posted I will contribute three Homeworld inspired or reminiscent spaceships instead.

Star Citizen Drake "Vulture"

Eve-Online Minmatar "Naglfar"

Eve-Online Minmatar "Thrasher"

And on that note, some more Minmatar stuff because there is nothing I love more in spaceship design than the haphazardly put together asymmetric junk aesthetic.

Eve-Online Minmatar "Reaper"

Eve-Online Minmatar "Breacher"

Bonus favourite childhood videogame spaceship:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

rockinricky posted:

One of my favorite classic (rock) spaceships.

You have impeccable taste in music and spaceships.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I organize my albums by the radness of the spacecraft on the cover.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

This is a good as hell album and sadly way better than their newest stuff

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is a good as hell album and sadly way better than their newest stuff

My review of Apocryphon:

It's OK but would be better with more :orb:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

speaking of which, how are we not talking about the roci

It's cool, but I like the version in my head from the books better.

CarlCX posted:

In fact, honorable mention for the Dralthi:

Perfect little space donut.

Those were so loving cool.

This was always the life goals ship for me in Privateer. Why does it look like a jet fighter? Who cares! It's was so awesome and expensive and you got that "I've arrived" feeling when you could finally afford one. Pirates and Retros beware.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Finger Prince posted:

It's cool, but I like the version in my head from the books better.

Those were so loving cool.

This was always the life goals ship for me in Privateer. Why does it look like a jet fighter? Who cares! It's was so awesome and expensive and you got that "I've arrived" feeling when you could finally afford one. Pirates and Retros beware.

I always preferred the Orion:

Love a good booty.

There's also the Galaxy:

But it's got a little pin-head. Looks weird, proportionally.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrBouvenstein posted:

I always preferred the Orion:

Love a good booty.

There's also the Galaxy:

But it's got a little pin-head. Looks weird, proportionally.

That looks like an upgunned Gunstar.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Taintrunner posted:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I spent many many hours in this thing strafe-twisting around maps shooting missiles and lasers while my dad periodically walked in and got nauseous looking at the screen

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pacra posted:

I spent many many hours in this thing strafe-twisting around maps shooting missiles and lasers while my dad periodically walked in and got nauseous looking at the screen

Me at eight years old: very confused over name of "Vulcan Canon". Only Vulcan I know is Spock.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The IDA Frigate wasn't as flashy as the Raven, the Thundeforge or any of the other big-ticket capital ships but it was tough and had enough cargo space to make a ship that could throw down with the best of them. It also had the unique advantage of having its turrets fire from the rear of the ship instead of the center, giving you a slight range advantage over other ships as long as you positioned it right.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Tochiazuma posted:

whoa I would've loved this book as a kid. I actually only came across this guy's spaceship concept art since getting a big ultrawide monitor and being on the hunt for cool new wallpapers (click for big):

Pacra posted:

:hai:

although I spent more hours probably watching my older brother play

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Here's another one to add to that:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I know nobody watches 2010, but the Alexei Leonov is sexy as hell in that clunky Omega kind of way

rip :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Here's another one to add to that:

Just like my LEGO space stations, there's some dude pushing around a dome on a handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jostiband posted:

I know nobody watches 2010, but the Alexei Leonov is sexy as hell in that clunky Omega kind of way

rip :(

Is that the Soviet Ship from 2010?