Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I registered this account twenty years ago next month. I was 13. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Were basically your family

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
dont rub it in man

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Someone remind me next month to make a thread in GBS about it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

britishbornandbread posted:

make a thread in gbs about it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pick posted:

Were basically your family

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!!!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!!!

Pick is the forums aunt

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

verbal enema posted:

make a thread in gbs about it

Closer to the time !

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I have had this account for 20 years now

:words:

User was banned for this post

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

What a way to go.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
can your account drink

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
pron hub: barely legal account gets probed hard

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I miss Pick's "i have the power of god" avatar with the gun and taser taped together.

Do people keep buying Pick avatars?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mine can't even vote... All it can do is freak out about the ACTs and pick backup colleges close to where it's ex girlfriend is going.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I miss Pick's "i have the power of god" avatar with the gun and taser taped together.

I would think so, pick has her haters

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Arivia posted:

can your account drink

No.

But in my country, it can have sex or pose topless for magazines.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

I registered this account twenty years ago next month. I was 13. Christ.

post the school picture!!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

flashman posted:

I would think so, pick has her haters

Imagine being able to feel anything as strongly as Pick's haters do about her. Just lol if the world hasn't left you dead inside and completely uncaring.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do I get to count as mid-20s still if I'm 26? :ohdear:

Also, regged my first account at 12 or 13 with my aunt's credit card. I don't remember what I told her it was for but I definitely didn't tell her "comedy forum."

In my mind, 'mid 20s' is like, 23-27, so yes.

I lurked sporadically when the paywall was down between 2008-2010. in 2010 at age 14 I got a pre-paid credit card and bought an account. I then realized my socially awkward teenage self had nothing funny or interesting to say to all the cool and funny but kinda mean people, and proceeded to lurk off and on for another 2-ish years before I forgot about it completely. I think I posted maybe once to ""drunk post"" the first time I ever drank a beer alone.

9 years later, I stopped giving a gently caress, bought a new account, and have lingered like a weird smell ever since.

CJacobs posted:

It's actually really cool that there are younger users imo because it means SA is still relevant as a refuge from the 'usual' internet. Especially now that sites like reddit with a thousand splinter communities about any interest you can imagine have become a phenomenon. Ponying up ten bucks to join is a lot harder of a decision when you're in your teens or early 20s because there are so so many free sites and communities out there (and ten bucks is harder to come by). I would know, I'm 26 now and I joined this site when I was like 16.

Oh yeah. It's cool as hell, in a "the internet is a virtual pseudo-ecosystem/unpredictably patterned place" kinda way.

to the new generation of lurker kids who may be out there, and any who may exist in the future: For the Love of all Things holy go outside while you still can. Don't make the same mistakes as us. This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger. (also brush your teeth and don't be racist)

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 10, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i'm a rereg of an almost universally reviled ban, not yet recounted in this thread, and when you discover who i am it will shed a profoundly hilarious light on my posts.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Whoria Discordia posted:

In my mind, 'mid 20s' is like, 23-27, so yes.

I lurked sporadically when the paywall was down between 2008-2010. in 2010 at age 14 I got a pre-paid credit card and bought an account. I then realized my socially awkward teenage self had nothing funny or interesting to say to all the cool and funny but kinda mean people, and proceeded to lurk off and on for another 2-ish years before I forgot about it completely. I think I posted maybe once to ""drunk post"" the first time I ever drank a beer alone.

9 years later, I stopped giving a gently caress, bought an account, and have lingered like a weird smell ever since.

Oh yeah. It's cool as hell, in a "the internet is a virtual pseudo-ecosystem/unpredictably patterned place" kinda way.

to the new generation of lurker kids who may be out there, and any who may exist in the future: For the Love of all Things holy go outside while you still can. Don't make the same mistakes as us. This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger. (also brush your teeth and don't be racist)

And use sunscreen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm a rereg of an almost universally reviled ban, not yet recounted in this thread, and when you discover who i am it will shed a profoundly hilarious light on my posts.

Alright Aatrek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, although I might purchase the GunTaser* one to have it back because I thought that one was really funny. I also found one of my old hard drives that has one of the original kitten pictures and I considered that as well.

*It was actually a gun, a taser, and a stun gun

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

are you dril

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Neil C?!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

Neil C?!

I also really liked the Anders one which is why I noticed

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Heath posted:

Alright Aatrek

^.~

weed cat posted:

are you dril

no but i missed an opportunity to help co-write for the account because I held a grudge too long and the opportunity got filtered by a blocklist :-/

Pick posted:

Neil C?!

nowhere nearly as accomplished, sadly.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

no but i missed an opportunity to help co-write for the account because I held a grudge too long and the opportunity got filtered by a blocklist :-/

classic "awesome thing i almost did"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How did you get back online if they shut WebTV down?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Changing from a lower case user name to an all caps name, whilst posting exactly the same as before was as effective a disguise as the time I poo poo my khaki cargo pants at work and came in the next day with a large fake moustache and declaring that my name was 'Mario' before making GBS threads my pants again.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How did you get back online if they shut WebTV down?

It blows my mind that someone used that to browse the forums. Didn't they get banned at a point where it was practically unimaginable to be using that?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Leavemywife posted:

It blows my mind that someone used that to browse the forums. Didn't they get banned at a point where it was practically unimaginable to be using that?

There's a good chance that they were just spoofing the user agent string on their browser to make it appear that way.

~Posted via Samsung SmartFridge.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wait, what is WebTV in reference to

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heath posted:

Wait, what is WebTV in reference to

Dude was found browsing SA using WebTV and a bewildered Lowtax banned him on principle.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Moo the cow posted:

There's a good chance that they were just spoofing the user agent string on their browser to make it appear that way.

~Posted via Samsung SmartFridge.

How does that work? Do you just spoof the device id somehow? Could you make it a your mom joke or does it have to be some sort of pre-existing id?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Xarbala posted:

Dude was found browsing SA using WebTV and a bewildered Lowtax banned him on principle.

Radium is the one who banned them, in early 2005.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

euronymous

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

iwas gonna say that guy posts on the NBA thread but thats Euphronius lol

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

VanSandman posted:

How does that work? Do you just spoof the device id somehow? Could you make it a your mom joke or does it have to be some sort of pre-existing id?
You can just mess with the config of the browser to make it appear like another browser. At the time, it was probably a text string in a config file somewhere.

These days you can get add-ons ( 'user agent switcher') if you have a burning desire to make your bank think your chrome is actually Internet Explorer 6.0 and let you access your online banking.

There are hundreds of them, but 'your mom's jokes are not allowed.

http://sepwww.stanford.edu/sep/jon/family/jos/webtv/developer3/authoring/user-agent/useragent.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone post that twitter thread of the teen whose parents kept taking away her devices but she kept posting on her watch and Wii and smart fridge. It's almost certainly fake but still funny.