Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus is officially cancelled:

https://twitter.com/linustech/status/1267322222969942016?s=21

Like I get what he's going for but... :wtc:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's head caliper stuff

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Heart's in the right place, but...you probably could have spent a couple minutes running this past copy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You ever have one of those moments where you're reading something so baffling that the more of it you read, the further away you move it away from your face in case your eyes just aren't focusing on it right it something?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I can't believe that's still up lmao

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

lmaoooooo

e: this reminds me that way, way, way back long ago in some video Linus unironically used the word "feminazi". For the life of me I can't remember what video it was

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 4, 2020

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

better than JayzTwoCents tweet about how he has guns and is prepared to take a life if his property is in danger

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

better than JayzTwoCents tweet about how he has guns and is prepared to take a life if his property is in danger

That guy is clearly a prick anyway

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah apparently that was what he came up with AFTER saying he wasn't a racist

in the middle is "the rioting savages are at the gates of my walled community! I'm ready!" which just loving lol

so I'm done with him now, loving christ

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I believe you, given that he's a navy brat, but got a link? I don't Twitter and have a morbid interest in seeing peoples stupidity.

Linus's heart may have been in the right place but jfc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Some Goon posted:

I believe you, given that he's a navy brat, but got a link? I don't Twitter and have a morbid interest in seeing peoples stupidity.

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267598953358356480

here's just one

the actual "rioters are at my walled community I will protect my property and my family by any means necessary" tweet seems to be gone, but he sure tweeted up a loving storm in the responses that tells you all you need to know

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Some Goon posted:

looks like he deleted. there was a significant amount of backlash. i think the dude has morals and i appreciate his ethics regarding sponsors and what he is willing to take money to shill, but his post was a pretty poor choice and his responses weren't much better.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arivia posted:

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267598953358356480

here's just one

the actual "rioters are at my walled community I will protect my property and my family by any means necessary" tweet seems to be gone, but he sure tweeted up a loving storm in the responses that tells you all you need to know

I asked for it and I'm still upset. Thanks.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Here, everyone cheer up with a StevezTwoCents video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y5xM4PCcLs

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Until I saw the actual tweet, I thought he was threatening to commit suicide if someone stood on his lawn.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Arivia posted:

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267606763215310850

"Trained"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Suburban dad with a YouTube channel about computers is the Marvel hero we've all been waiting for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh lol I think I watched one of his videos once about running a single network cable and he managed to make it 25 minutes long and do a poo poo job while also telling everybody he was half-assing it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Welp now I need to find a different source of simple instructional videos for the pc build thread. I liked jay's vids for that because he's not a complete snooze and the camera work is really good. Lot of other operations are just static shots and closeups that may or may not have a good angle, phil does a really good job with the handheld. Oh well, not gonna link jays vids.

It's a mass demonstration about black people getting shot / killed and the first thing you think about is "I'm gonna shoot first", gently caress you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Welp now I need to find a different source of simple instructional videos for the pc build thread. I liked jay's vids for that because he's not a complete snooze and the camera work is really good. Lot of other operations are just static shots and closeups that may or may not have a good angle, phil does a really good job with the handheld. Oh well, not gonna link jays vids.

The whole tech youtuber crowd that showed up to mock the verge's pc build video have decent instructional stuff

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm not a fan of Jay because I think casemodding is the most boring thing ever and computers are meant to be functional, not aesthetic, but people hating on him over this should probably watch the stream he did. It obviously was stupid to put it on twitter, but talking about your immediate circumstances without sufficient thought about how it's going to look from other perspectives is sort of a hallmark of social media personalities. When there's an actual riot going on just outside where you live, "I need to make sure I'm going to be ok" is a pretty loving normal thing to think.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
People on social media being holier than thou, well I never.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Wrong thread

edit: might as well shill for a tech channel I enjoy: Timmy Joe seems like a cool dude and I like how he talks about legacy hardware sometimes, plus he looks exactly like a coworker so I generally get a kick out of that too, yrmv.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 5, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-_WXXVye3Y

Zero surprises that MKBHD's video is miles better than Linus' well meant, but cringe tweet and especially Jayz's garbage one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Marques is such a class act, very worthwhile video.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
oopsie doodle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehDRCE1Z38

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

unsurprisingly mkbhd's video is getting a higher proportional number of dislikes than likes.. at least based on his previous 2 videos.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

unsurprisingly mkbhd's video is getting a higher proportional number of dislikes than likes.. at least based on his previous 2 videos.

Gave it a like when I saw that. A silly way to fight racists, but worth it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When you read Jay saying "trained a long time ago how to mentally prepare for the idea of defending myself" keep in mind the guy was like 180kg + for much of his life. I've unsubbed from him anyways, he's a talented case modder but that's it.

Linus is a goof but at least he's not a castle doctrine idiot. He's not wrong but the way that message is worded is just so off kilter.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

well why not posted:

When you read Jay saying "trained a long time ago how to mentally prepare for the idea of defending myself" keep in mind the guy was like 180kg + for much of his life. I've unsubbed from him anyways, he's a talented case modder but that's it.

Linus is a goof but at least he's not a castle doctrine idiot. He's not wrong but the way that message is worded is just so off kilter.

Jay has always been a boomer lite type youtuber. If amazing builds are your jam, Declassified Systems is a pro click: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr1J-4O7J2oMhmn1aSVwCpQ

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Never would have expected a reference to (watch the video first, seriously!) time cube from Gamers Nexus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkYcO1VxOk

(If you want to skip to the reference, it's at around 12:00.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's more like it :

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1270449908567273472

20k is pretty serious money, even for someone as cashed up as Linus

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

well why not posted:

that's more like it :

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1270449908567273472

20k is pretty serious money, even for someone as cashed up as Linus

I often wonder just how much money Linus has (obviously a lot, but like a lot a lot, or a lot a lot). Given that he says his wife (and children?, I didn't watch the whole thing) will never have to work, he probably won't notice it, but even then its def serious apology money.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah I've thought about it a lot too. His studio has a lot of staff, even for a 10m+ channel, but makes more videos than most other channels the same size. It seems like the staff are pretty well compensated - they all have new toys and seemingly nice homes. I'm thinking of Alex's apartment and car, or Colton's countryside house, not Dennis' weird Always Sunny squalor.

He's definitely dealing with tens of millions in turnover a year with various manufacturer deals and the constant sponsor spots. He's also mentioned that he has a "favourable" youtube contract due to the channel's age. There's also LLT Store, affiliate links, the other channels which also run ads... it goes on. So yeah, high expenses, but high income too.

I wonder if FloatPlane makes money yet? That's surely a money pit.

I don't think he spends any money on himself that's not a tax write off. The cars are probably "work vehicles", he seemingly has one pair of jeans and LTT merch he'd get for near free. I wouldn't be surprised if the house is somehow a work premises too, it's certainly big enough.

mewse
May 2, 2006

well why not posted:

Dennis' weird Always Sunny squalor.

I have to see this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so4FwjfQ7YI&t=195s

3m20s

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Some people collect Jordans but Linus spends shitloads on his socks and sandals collection.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do they do anything besides LTT videos? Or are they at a point where it's all self sustained, i.e. just make videos about making youtube videos or the equipment to do it.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Some Goon posted:

I often wonder just how much money Linus has (obviously a lot, but like a lot a lot, or a lot a lot). Given that he says his wife (and children?, I didn't watch the whole thing) will never have to work, he probably won't notice it, but even then its def serious apology money.

A quick google estimates his value at 25 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Do they do anything besides LTT videos? Or are they at a point where it's all self sustained, i.e. just make videos about making youtube videos or the equipment to do it.

It has been mentioned they also produce videos/commercials for other companies in the PC hardware market...