Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Your world generated a map with California gun laws, everything converted to 10 round mags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I remember hearing this was the case a year or so ago, mounting a turret in the middle of my vehicle... and then finding out it didn't fire on enemies bashing against the side of the vehicle unless I opened the door.

They fixed that. Before I updated to above, my dumb rear end decided to assault a mi-go scout tower. Fake spoiler: don't do that!

I managed to live because I had strapped 4x M249s and 1x M2 to the top of my deathmobile. Ran past most of them and managed to slap the "shoot everyone who isn't me" button.

E: poo poo was hilarious. Every time I pressed 5, a few more Mi-gos would come out, the next time I pressed 5, they were dead.

Spoiler for mi-go scout towers: poo poo is hot enough that you can spend ~50 turns in there, maybe more in fire gear. I wasn't able to figure out a way to get the prisoners out, but I did figure out how to get all the mi-gos to chase me (show up).

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 7, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think you can break mi-go furniture to make the climate better

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Tbf I can see grenades being stopped by anything in the path of the throw as a limitation of the engine or maybe as a fault in how the targeting system was coded. You also can't aim your gun at targets behind a chainlink fence despite guns being able to clearly blow through that :shrug:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Spoiler for mi-go scout towers: poo poo is hot enough that you can spend ~50 turns in there, maybe more in fire gear. I wasn't able to figure out a way to get the prisoners out, but I did figure out how to get all the mi-gos to chase me (show up).
Afaik those towers are still WIP and don't really function as they are envisioned to.

You can combat the heat by building a mobile cooling vehicle that you drag around with you. But you have to construct a new one for each floor since you can't drag up/down. The prisoners are sorta broken I think and I've not seen any post on the net that has managed to get them out of there

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Tin Tim posted:

Tbf I can see grenades being stopped by anything in the path of the throw as a limitation of the engine or maybe as a fault in how the targeting system was coded. You also can't aim your gun at targets behind a chainlink fence despite guns being able to clearly blow through that :shrug:

Afaik those towers are still WIP and don't really function as they are envisioned to.

You can combat the heat by building a mobile cooling vehicle that you drag around with you. But you have to construct a new one for each floor since you can't drag up/down. The prisoners are sorta broken I think and I've not seen any post on the net that has managed to get them out of there

Spoilers for Mi-Go prisoner rescue: A sonic resonator CBM will break apart the resin cage wall material after a few applications. Supposedly explosives work too, but I have yet to try that out of fear it'll kill the prisoners too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Maarak posted:

Spoilers for Mi-Go prisoner rescue: A sonic resonator CBM will break apart the resin cage wall material after a few applications. Supposedly explosives work too, but I have yet to try that out of fear it'll kill the prisoners too.
Apparently you can also crush the outer walls with a thick car that goes fast enough and then mine out the inner walls of the cells. But I was more refering to actually getting the prisoners to go out of the tower. From what I could gather it seemed like their AI has huge problems with that?

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Ooh! I remember reading something about that. If I remember rightly, there's some kind of environmental effect in the tower that doesn't permeate into the cells, either the heat or some form of miasma/gas in the air. I think they said if you give them a gasmask or protective apparel they'll follow you out. I've not cracked into one or tried this myself so this may all be false.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had similar problems getting my followers to follow me in, thought about giving them gas masks, then stopped playing that save before trying it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

RabidWeasel posted:

I think the biggest issue is that labs are full of turrets and are also the only place to go to get cool fun stuff so there's a big incentive for the player to try to do labs ASAP.

Well good news, the only turret you see in a lab now is the one at the entrance if you don't use a keycard! I can't find the exact build when it happened, but they've gone, very recently.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why do I get the feeling thats less of granting reprieve to people going in labs and more a way to nerf getting 5.56 ammo :thunk:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Not as good a move as stuffing the labs with more turrets that only shoot that caseless ammo that can't be repackaged. And making them explode on death.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
When I last played, most turrets exploded on death anyway and didn't really leave ammo behind.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That must have been a somewhat recent change because in stable I got around 1600 rounds out of the two turrets I destroyed :dance:

Also I've started to clear a mall just to see what it's like and it sure is some major work. Not looking forward to going into the places that have zombies stuck behind safety glass. Which is uhh a huge amount of the area

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

That must have been a somewhat recent change because in stable I got around 1600 rounds out of the two turrets I destroyed :dance:

It's really recent, like the last week or two. I'm not sure if it was before or after they added Necroboomers, but close to around then.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Necrowhatnow?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Necrowhatnow?

New Zombie Type - pretty much what it says on the tin - acts like a boomer, about as fragile, but when they explode, they resurrect any zombies in the blast radius, and then evolve them as well. Also evolves the not-dead zombies around it when it blows. So like a combination of boomer, necromancer, and master zombies.

Seen a couple in-game, they're pretty situational - if you can get them away from the crowd, they're not a problem. If one goes off in a pack, well, good luck there.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
still less destructive than a living boomer amirite fellas??

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I haven't updated experimentals since early April, did the nested containers thing ever stop being buggy hell?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Caidin posted:

I haven't updated experimentals since early April, did the nested containers thing ever stop being buggy hell?

It's...better. Still glitchy as gently caress, but I find it bearable now. Still needs a lot of work.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I've been playing the stable, does this mean that containers behave like containers? Like I could drop the rucksack to fight and the items carried in it don't just erupt into a spray of debris because a number went down?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've been playing the stable, does this mean that containers behave like containers? Like I could drop the rucksack to fight and the items carried in it don't just erupt into a spray of debris because a number went down?

Yes, but they're still at the point where there are major (but not game ruining) bugs caused by implementing this. Also actually managing containers is not the best UX at the moment but it should get better hopefully.

I'd probably advise anyone who usually plays stable to wait another month or something but it's no longer at the point where your items just vanish.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
After a solid decade of waffling around actually getting used to ASCII roguelikes I'm finally going to sit my rear end down and do this. There's only so many survival games out there and I'm pretty confident I've run through all of them that even come close to scratching my itch for complexity so hopefully this goes well.

Wish me luck, Goons.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sab Sabbington posted:

After a solid decade of waffling around actually getting used to ASCII roguelikes I'm finally going to sit my rear end down and do this. There's only so many survival games out there and I'm pretty confident I've run through all of them that even come close to scratching my itch for complexity so hopefully this goes well.

Wish me luck, Goons.

Just get the deadpeople tileset and don't worry bout the ascii poo poo.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Yes, but they're still at the point where there are major (but not game ruining) bugs caused by implementing this. Also actually managing containers is not the best UX at the moment but it should get better hopefully.

I'd probably advise anyone who usually plays stable to wait another month or something but it's no longer at the point where your items just vanish.

Well, mostly don't vanish . I swear autosort just evaporated at least three sewing kits in my last game.

I'd be happier if 'drop all' as a command didn't decide it'd drop liquids first, on the floor, then the containers they're in. You can work around it by dropping stuff individually but it's still a pain.

On the plus side, I finally figured out you can add a vehicle cargo spot as an unsorted zone, which makes unloading loot from your car SO much easier.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Telsa Cola posted:

Just get the deadpeople tileset and don't worry bout the ascii poo poo.

Good news! I might have to, no matter how I fiddle with the font size I can't seem to make anything actually get bigger, making it mostly completely unreadable.

Which is not the issue I had expected when it comes to getting into it but I'm pleasantly surprised.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CDDA has some really good tilesets so the only excuse for playing it in ascii is terminal (:haw:) grognardism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like the ascii. i'm used to it

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like the ASCII, but I can't play without the status indicators anymore.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Not knowing that I am running and exhausting myself has killed me more than anything else in this game. That was the main thing that pushed me to Dead People

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Do I actually have to have a full on gas mask to mitigate the bloated zombie gas? I seem to remember being able to use a filter mask but it's not working at all. Badly poisoned head every time.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Where can you get Dead People from? The Mega link that comes ip first on Google is dead.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I was a big fan of the acsii but retrodays has been my go to since it first showed up. It has the easy to parse feel acsii has but conveys a lot more information.

UndeadPeople is still the go to for those that aren't addicted on seeing as much of the screen as possible at all times tho.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i like the ascii. i'm used to it

Once again, prime username post combo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i was born in it. moulded by it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII, all I see is Brute, Shocker, Mi-Go...

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I love that my hunting strategy is to sprint after animals and beat them to death with a stick.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nevets posted:

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII, all I see is Brute, Shocker, Mi-Go...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A White Guy posted:

I love that my hunting strategy is to sprint after animals and beat them to death with a stick.

My hunting strategy is to run over bears with my car. Nothing else, oddly, but I see a bear on my radar and veer towards it like my bumper is aligned with magnetic ursa. And then spend the rest of the day dealing with the meat and forget where I had originally been going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Rolling out of a speeding car and screaming "gently caress you deer" as I unload an entire machine gun belt at them.